Hello Guest

Author Topic: cincinnati  (Read 1892 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
cincinnati
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
The wife and I are talking about a road trip to Cincinnati this summer. Would anyone have any suggestion of what we should not miss while we are there? We had talked about the Arc encounter anyone been? is it worth the drive?

Thanks
Steve

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
The wife and I are talking about a road trip to Cincinnati this summer. Would anyone have any suggestion of what we should not miss while we are there? We had talked about the Arc encounter anyone been? is it worth the drive?

Thanks
Steve
Lots to do there
Ark encounter: Absolutely
Creation museum, Worth your time
Reds game at the "All American Ball Park" (Reds were the first pro baseball team in the merica)
The art deco, restored, old train terminal which is now a museum. Has an Omnimax inside. If you never sat in a ball with a movie going on all around you, try it, you will be amazed. great place for an afternoon
Kids??? Then Kings Island (Like Disney)
30 min north is Fort Ancient. Pyramids, unexplained intelligence, lost culture...Look it over, decide for yourself.
Spend an afternoon "On the Levee in Covington. Visit the aquarium (One of our nation's largest) then eat in any of a dozen or more amazing venues. Take a paddlewheel riverboat ride, some with dinner.
Go to Broadway at the Aronoff theater, and eat on the square somewhere. Everything there is top of the line amazing.
Grab a steak at either Jeff Ruby's or "The Syndicate"
Some years (every forth???) we have "Tall Stacks" a gathering of all remaining paddlewheel river boats.
Nascar track just minutes south of the city in Kentucky (Kentucky speedway)
Check for conventions at the Duke energy center
Weekly concerts at three different and varied indoor and out door settings
Cincinnati boasts the second largest fireworks display in America. 4th of July is breathtaking, but not the best. We have another that lasts forever. Last year, in the midst of the mile wide display, the fireworks touren off for a few seconds as a B-2 emerged from the smoke at 500 feet over the river. That party is so big you need to set up a tent the day before to get any chance of being within two miles of it.
Two men opened up the frontier in Kentucky and Ohio from when America started to expand. Simon Kenton, and Daniel Boone. I live in Boone county, and we adjoin Kenton county. If you visit my wife's facebook page, our Daughter's wedding pics were taken in Simon Kenton's part along the Ohio river in Covington.
Don's place. Not quite as big an attraction as the others listed above, but when I put down my crab cakes, they can draw a crowd!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
Not sure where you are coming from but this is near Cincinnati & worth the show.......

https://thunderoverlouisville.org/
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
Where will you be staying? If you have a camper I would strongly suggest Winton Woods camp ground. Lots of people tent camp there also. I do have a score to settle with whatever snapped my fishing line. 3 times. I will return more prepared.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
one way we will be going to or coming from Kokomo Ind my sister lives there. The other most likly Memphis my wife is a big Elvis fan and would love to stop and see Graceland. The Red game is the main reason we are going, we have been watching one of the player from middle school on and if it wasn't for the wife his mom and dad wouldn't have meet. Not sure about staying any place (kind of wish Wright Patterson was near) but the wife isn't much of a fan of camping. Her roughing it would be a Hoilday Inn! Most likely just us 2 adults but thanks for the info and keep it coming

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 10:47:47 PM »
Oh, and the Krohn conservatory. Largest living display of butterflies inside. They fly all around you.

To me, Cincinnati is a hidden gem. You can go a very long time seeing very interesting stuff without having to repeat. And it feels like it is all ours...you see no one ever comes to visit Cincy. They are too busy on some beach or bike week or norleans, or disney or other tourist traps. Not so here, just a quiet not too big town with more sights to see, than places to avoid! ;-))

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 11:04:12 PM »
Aimsurplus.com north of cinci has cash & carry on Weds.......

Always worth a visit! :wink:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 12:38:05 AM »
Aimsurplus.com north of cinci has cash & carry on Weds.......

Always worth a visit! :wink:
Oh, I know it so well...

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 01:49:48 AM »
All sorts of good things to see in the northern tuck. I live about ten minutes from the Ark, haven’t managed to get over there yet, but plan to in the next week or two while I can still get half price tickets. I’ll let you know what we think of it. Everything I’ve heard has been good.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal