Hello Guest

Author Topic: Harbor freight generator  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Harbor freight generator
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had experience with theses. I know it's harbor freight and my personal rule is never  buy things from there with moving parts.
 It's something I'm going to use 3 or 4 times a year. I just can't justify paying over 2 grand for a Honda.
I spoke to the camper dealer and he added up everything in my camper. He said I needed atleast 4000 running watts to run everything.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Harbor freight generator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »
I’d shop around, you can find dual fuel 5500kw gensets for that price before I would buy a harbor freight unit. A little more and you can get a larger unit so I’m thinking watch sales etc or open a card to get a discount kind of deal at box stores. Stop by the post office and pick up a change of address packet many times Lowe’s, Sears or HD have 10-20% off coupons in them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:44:13 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
I was set on buying one of those units from HF last summer.  After some research I was finding that I could find name brand stuff for not a whole lot more if I could catch it on sale.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
I would buy one of these way before I would even think about buying something from harbor freight...........

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=generac+generator

as a matter of fact, I got their 5.5kw for under $500 I think from lowes.....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:03:28 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »
That’s not a bad deal right there from slows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
 Before I installed an ONAN 5500 GOLD in my trailer, I bought the biggest Champion generator Costco had. if I remember correctly it was $500. Had remote start and more power than one really needs. I think it was a 6500-7500. My friends referred to it as the rock crusher, as you can imagine is not very quiet. I built a 3 sided foldable noise deflector, which helped but it wasn't a tranquil camping experience. Being 200 lbs + it wasn't easy to move either.  I was at cabelas last week and saw this one on sale for $399
http://www.cabelas.com/product/OUTDOORSMAN-WATT-GENERATOR/1848057.uts?slotId=1

Not sure if its enough power for what you need but maybe worth a look. I can say that I've put a few predator engines in a couple machines and they are great. I have predator2000 inverter generator (briefcase style) for a back up in my trailer and its very well made. it functions just like my friends Honda 2000i and is just about as quiet.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
FWIW I can run a microwave from my 2000 generator if I need to, the a/c is where you will need the power. and If I were you I would try to find a Honda/Yamaha 3000 on craigslist. they are super quiet and I have run my a/c with them before.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »
Or Craigslist. The engines in that HF is not rated for very many hours.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:02 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I think I will be shoping around some more.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »

Before I installed an ONAN 5500 GOLD in my trailer, I bought the biggest Champion generator Costco had. if I remember correctly it was $500. Had remote start and more power than one really needs. I think it was a 6500-7500. My friends referred to it as the rock crusher, as you can imagine is not very quiet. I built a 3 sided foldable noise deflector, which helped but it wasn't a tranquil camping experience.

Few years ago a friend bought one of the those Champions for his elk camp. Ended up buying bales of straw to try and quiet it down and ended up burning about 10 acres of scrub and pines at the top of Bethel Ridge before the fire was put out.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 02:10:18 AM »
What did you end up with ?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »
I got 4.0 BFA Onan out of an old Motor home. I thought it would be plenty but its just not quite big enough. It works just have to be careful how many things we run at one time. No microwave with the AC on.
I Installed it in large tool box and hug it off the flat bed on the truck. I used a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for a John Deere tractor. I took it to an electrician friend of mine. He ran power to a breaker box and installed regular 110 outlets as well as 30 amp camper plug on the bed. He also ran 4 outlets into the cab.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »
I also picked up this Brute generator. My brother paid $400 new used it one time and sold it to me for $300.  I like it. Works just fine. Its one of those things where he needed a little extra cash and I had some. I don't have a solar set up yet.  I rely 100% on generator when boondocking so I figured $300 is cheap back up. Well then this way if we want to unhook and go somewhere I can use the Brute and keep the camper plugged in. That's one drawback to having the main generator on the truck.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor/outdoor-power-equipment/generators/brute-reg-3-500-running-5-250-starting-watt-gasoline-portable-generator/30634/p-1444425965341-c-10107.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:37:26 AM by Farmer Jon »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal