Hello Guest

Author Topic: Yea, so let's get to know the gun control gurus  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yea, so let's get to know the gun control gurus
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »
Nobody wants to take your guns?
Bringing this forward from my old blog:
Whenever I, or others, object to registration or bans on transfers, or other forms of gun control and firearms restrictions as steps toward an eventual complete prohibition and the confiscation that such would necessarily entail, we get told we’re paranoid and ?nobody wants to take your guns.?
Well, perhaps we should consider these nobodies?
A gun-control movement worthy of the name would insist that President Clinton move beyond his proposals for controls? And immediately call on Congress to pass far-reaching industry regulation like the Firearms Safety and Consumer Protection Act? Which would give the Treasury Department health and safety authority over the gun industry, and any rational regulator with that authority would ban handguns. Josh Sugarmann (executive director of the Violence Policy Center)
My view of guns is simple. I hate guns and I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned. Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Dean of Harvard School of Public Health)
I don’t care if you want to hunt, I don’t care if you think it’s your right. I say “Sorry. It’s 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison.” Rosie O’Donnell (At about the time she said this, Rosie engaged the services of a bodyguard who applied for a gun permit.)
Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option, keep your gun but permit it. Andrew Cuomo
I do not believe in people owning guns. Guns should be owned only by [the] police and military. I am going to do everything I can to disarm this state. Michael Dukakis
If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all. U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman
In fact, the assault weapons ban will have no significant effect either on the crime rate or on personal security. Nonetheless, it is a good idea? Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic, purely symbolic move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation. Charles Krauthammer, columnist, 4/5/96 Washington Post
Ban the damn things. Ban them all. You want protection? Get a dog. Molly Ivins, columnist, 7/19/94
To get a permit to own a firearm, that person should undergo an exhaustive criminal background check. In addition, an applicant should give up his right to privacy and submit his medical records for review to see if the person has ever had a problem with alcohol, drugs or mental illness . . . The Constitution doesn’t count!?  John Silber, former chancellor of Boston University and candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. Speech before the Quequechan Club of Fall River, MA. August 16, 1990
I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about. Is that it will happen one very small step at a time so that by the time, um, people have woken up, quote, to what’s happened, it’s gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the banning of semi assault military weapons that are military weapons, not household weapons, is the first step. Mayor Barbara Fass, Stockton, CA
Handguns should be outlawed. Our organization will probably take this stand in time but we are not anxious to rouse the opposition before we get the other legislation passed. Elliot Corbett, Secretary, National Council for a Responsible Firearms Policy (interview appeared in the Washington Evening Star on September 19, 1969)
Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. Senator Diane Feinstein, 1993
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them? Mr. and Mrs. America, turn em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here. U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) CBS-TVs 60 Minutes, 2/5/95
Banning guns is an idea whose time has come. U.S. Senator Joseph Biden, 11/18/93, Associated Press interview
Yes, I’m for an outright ban (on handguns).Pete Shields, Chairman emeritus, Handgun Control, Inc., during a 60 Minutes interview.
I am one who believes that as a first step, the United States should move expeditiously to disarm the civilian population, other than police and security officers, of all handguns, pistols, and revolvers? No one should have the right to anonymous ownership or use of a gun. Professor Dean Morris, Director of Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, stated to the U.S. Congress
I feel very strongly about it [the Brady Bill]. I think, I also associate myself with the other remarks of the Attorney General. I think it’s the beginning. It’s not the end of the process by any means. William J. Clinton, 8/11/93
The Brady Bill is the minimum step Congress should take, we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns, except in a few cases. U.S. Representative William Clay, quoted in the St. Louis Post Dispatch on May 6, 1991.

I don’t believe gun owners have rights? Sarah Brady, Hearst Newspapers Special Report Handguns in America, October 1997
We must get rid of all the guns? Sarah Brady, speaking on behalf of HCI with Sheriff Jay Printz & others on The Phil Donahue Show? September 1994
The House passage of our bill is a victory for this country! Common sense wins out. I’m just so thrilled and excited. The sale of guns must stop. Halfway measures are not enough. Sarah Brady 7/1/88
I don’t care about crime, I just want to get the guns. Senator Howard Metzenbaum, 1994
We’re here to tell the NRA their nightmare is true?? U.S. Representative Charles Schumer, quoted on NBC, 11/30/93
My bill establishes a 6-month grace period for the turning in of all handguns. U.S. Representative Major Owens, Congressional Record, 11/10/93
I’m convinced that we have to have federal legislation to build on. We’re going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily? Given the political realities? Going to be very modest. Of course, it’s true that politicians will then go home and say, this is a great law. The problem is solved. And it’s also true that such statements will tend to defuse the gun-control issue for a time. So then well have to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen that law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we’d be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal? Total control of handguns in the United States? Is going to take time. My estimate is from seven to ten years. The problem is to slow down the increasing number of handguns sold in this country. The second problem is to get them all registered. And the final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition? Except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors? Totally illegal. Nelson T. Shields of Handgun Control, Inc. as quoted in `New Yorker? Magazine July 26, 1976. Page 53f

Our goal is to not allow anybody to buy a handgun. In the meantime, we think there ought to be strict licensing and regulation. Ultimately, that may mean it would require court approval to buy a handgun. President of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Michael K. Beard, Washington Times 12/6/93 p.A1
Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal. U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, December 1993
The sale, manufacture, and possession of handguns ought to be banned. We do not believe the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual the right to keep them. The Washington Post Legal Guns Kill Too?  November 5, 1999
There is no reason for anyone in the country, for anyone except a police officer or a military person, to buy, to own, to have, to use, a handgun. The only way to control handgun use in this country is to prohibit the guns. And the only way to do that is to Change the Constitution. USA Today, Michael Gartner Former president of NBC News Glut of Guns: What Can We Do about Them? January 16, 1992
I would personally just say to those who are listening, maybe you want to turn in your guns, Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, 2012
 4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution :
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations. Legislation introduced in Missouri.2013
And you can repeat the exact same thing for Minnesota
Since assault weapons are not a major contributor to US gun homicide and the existing stock of guns is large, an assault weapon ban is unlikely to have an impact on gun violence. If coupled with a gun buyback and no exemptions then it could be effective. NIJ Memo on a new Assault Weapon? Ban. 2013
The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection? (Warrantless searches by law enforcement?) Washington State Senate Bill 5737 (2013)
The state of Iowa should take semi-automatic weapons away from Iowans who have legally purchased them prior to any ban that is enacted if they don’t give their weapons up in a buy-back program.  Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them, Iowa state Rep. Dan Muhlbauer (D-Manilla) 2013
California Senate Bill 374 (Steinberg 2013) would expand the definition of Assault Weapons to include ALL semi-auto rifles (including rimfire calibers) that accept a detachable magazine.
SB374 would ban on the sale and possession of ALL Semi-Auto rifles and require registration to retain legal possession in the future. California Senate Bill 47 (Yee 2013) would expand the definition of an Assault Weapons to include rifles that have been designed/sold and or equipped to use the bullet button or similar device.
SB47 would ban on the sale and possession of ALL those Semi-Auto rifles and require registration to retain legal possession in the future.
California Assembly Bill 174 (Bonta 2013) would ban the possession of any firearms that were grandfathered for possession if registered in previous Assault Weapons gun control schemes.
Californians that trusted the State of California and registered their firearms will be required to surrender the firearms to the Government or face arrest. Passage of AB174 would make SB374/SB47 (above) into confiscation mandates.
California Senate Bill 396 (Hancock 2013) would ban the possession of any magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 cartridges. ALL currently grandfathered high-cap magazines would become ILLEGAL to possess and the owners subject to arrest and the magazines confiscated. (High-cap means a capacity that has been standard, that the firearms were designed for, since the 40s AK pattern rifles or 60s AR pattern rifles.)
We want everything on the table. This is a moment of opportunity. There’s no question about it? We’re on a roll now, and I think we’ve got to take the you know, we’re gonna push as hard as we can and as far as we can.? Illinois Rep Jan Schakowsky says assault rifle ban just the beginning, a moment of opportunity and seeks to ban handguns (2013).
People who own guns are essentially a sickness in our souls who must be cleansed. Colorado Senator (Majority Leader) John Morse. 2013 (Cleansed?  Final Solution anyone?)
We needed a bill that was going to confiscate, confiscate, confiscate. Discussion among Senator Loretta Weinberg (D37), Senator Sandra Cunningham (D31), Senator Linda Greenstein (D14) of New Jersey’s State Legislature, May 9, 2013
No one in this country should have guns. Superior Court Judge, Robert C. Brunetti, Bristol, CT. September, 2013
Proposed Missouri Bill to ban assault weapons.  4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.
New York sends out Confiscation letters.
It is extremely important that individuals in the state of California do not own assault weapons. I mean that is just so crystal clear, there is no debate, no discussion. Leland Yee, California State Senator.
Shannon Watts (head of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense?): @MikeBloomberg and I want guns gone. Period. It doesn’t matter what it takes. (Twitter, 2014).
Upon review of all the parties evidence, the court seriously doubts that the banned assault long guns are commonly possessed for lawful purposes, particularly self-defense in the home, which is at the core of the Second Amendment right, and is inclined to find the weapons fall outside Second Amendment protection as dangerous and unusual. U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake. (The assault weapons being described are semi-automatic weapons meaning one shot fired per pull of the trigger of fairly modest power, near the low end of center fire rifles.)  As for the claim that said weapons are not particularly useful for home defense.  I address that here.
2. No person, corporation or other entity in the state of Missouri may manufacture, import, possess, purchase, sell, or transfer any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. Bill introduced in Missouri House.
NJ.com editorial boards advocates for mandatory gun buybacks.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/09/nj_gun_buyback_programs.html

So do all the voluntary gun buybacks you want. But until they are mandatory, and our society can see past its hysteria over gun confiscation, don’t expect it to make much difference.

Gun Surrender without the anonymous provision:
We’ll take that weapon into safekeeping as a matter of practice. It’s pretty easy, he said of the surrender process. We are working to find ways in which we can make it easier for people to turn in weapons and firearms.
Callers will provide their name, telephone number and address, and the reason for surrender. Once the firearm has been checked to see if it was involved in a crime police will mark it for destruction.
(So, basically, people with illegal guns, or guns used in crime, will stay away in droves.  The only purpose of such a provision is to take legally owned guns from people.)
Another shooting in another gun-free zone (Florida requires guns on college campuses to be locked up and cannot be carried) leads to calls for gun prohibition:
I’m talking about flat-out banning the possession of handguns and assault rifles by individual citizens. I’m talking about repealing or amending the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:31:42 PM by BobbyB »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Yea, so let's get to know the gun control gurus
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
Its interesting as much as I HATE social media I do think this is one area where it has helped (in some ways).....I think that many people are now aware (even if they don't own guns) just how important having armed citizens in society is. After the church shooting in Texas there were tons of posts on Facebook Twitter etc reminding people that it was a good guy with a gun that stopped a bad guy with a gun. That message gets shared a lot and its hard for folks to deny it. I also think it has helped that people see the meme's shared that the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, but is about GOVERNMENT control.

Yes the liberal weenies will all continue to scream about more gun control etc. but just as in a national election the key is to get the independents (Trump was never going to get the true Hillary Kool-Aid drinkers to vote for him), gun control nonsense is about teaching the "independents" about just how important gun rights are for ALL citizens.

The thing I bring up over and over whenever I have a conversation with people who "don't like guns" (and believe me they are bleeping everywhere here in MA) is how liberalized carry laws help EVERY citizen, not just those who carry because criminals will change their behavior. I ask them if its good that we have seat belt laws ( which I hate even though I wear one....just hate the idea that there is a law about them!), they of course say yes its good. I ask them if they will be protected in a car crash if they don't wear one. Of course the answer is no. But then I explain that with liberal carry laws criminals don't know who is carrying or not so they change their behavior- they rob homes when no one is home, they steal empty cars in a parking lot or whatever. But they don't engage in crimes where they may come in contact with the victim cause they might get shot. So liberalized carry laws help ALL citizens not just those who choose to avail themselves of it. And I end it with something like, "I get it, you hate guns, would never own one. That's fine, it is your right to choose that. But wouldn't you like to be protected from violence even without having to arm yourself?" For those who are truly on the fence or not just knee-jerk liberals who think guns fire themselves, they start to get it. Not saying I have made a difference here in MA (Lord knows that ain't happening!) But I feel its a start.

(If they are old enough I ask them if they remember when criminals were killing tourists in FL and the car rental places had to take the stickers off their cars....if they remember it I explain that this was criminals "changing their behavior" because FL had just passed a right to carry law and criminals realized if they robbed citizens they could get shot, so they robbed people who they KNEW wouldn't have guns (and probably had cash)- those who just flew there from somewhere else for Disney, the beaches or whatever).

Sorry.....another rant. I gotta stop at 2 cups of coffee in the AM! haha.  :shocked:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Right on Wilbur. 

I never let people get away with calling an AR and assault rifle. If I bash you in the head with a hammer is that an assault hammer????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
Heck Tex, the problem is you hear plenty of "gun guys" use that theatric description quite often.
 ..and I do have a hammer that was booked on assault charges multiple times. I'm still missing my thumbnail! ha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
NRA

They have a storied history of at times bending towards more restrictions on guns. Most recently bump fire stocks after LV, you know since so much information has been presented on that tragedy......
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:39:50 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
At its root, it's all about power. Liberals want the "State" to have total power over the individual citizen, to be able to dictate every aspect of life for the citizenry. That goal is impossible with an armed populous. The liberals like to label free people, who are more importantly free-thinking, as fascist, when fascism is, in fact, their goal.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
At its root, it's all about power. Liberals want the "State" to have total power over the individual citizen, to be able to dictate every aspect of life for the citizenry. That goal is impossible with an armed populous. The liberals like to label free people, who are more importantly free-thinking, as fascist, when fascism is, in fact, their goal.
Right you are Sir.

Which raises a quandry of sorts for those of us who swore allegiance to uphold and defend the constitution. Seems to me that in executing our duty we may be engaging our own government...

No need for comment, prying eyes and all that...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
I remember my oath. I just hope that all federal elected officials (who take the same oath), and the rest of the military commission holders, remember theirs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:40:53 AM by cj7ox »
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 12:34:47 AM »
Funny about Lee from Kali up there. He is doing time for trafficking illegal weapons and corruption.

Do as I say, NOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal