GENERAL TOPICS > D.O.T.

Winter driving

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bear9350:
Even in WI there are plenty of people that don't know what to do or forget in the first snowfall.  A few years back I watched somebody jump out of the way of a out-of-control car entering a pile-up.  I was already in the middle-of said pile-up and successfully stopped in time to not hit anybody.  I watched in my mirrors, bracing for impact as 2 cars came flying in out of control.  The first one veered into the ditch to my left.  The second impacted the car directly in front of me while barely coming in contact with the corner of my front bumper.  All you could see was the scuff mark in the winter bumper cover I had installed at the time.  Now the two idiots involved in said impact get out of their vehicles to yell and scream words of encouragement to each other.  At this point a second wave of uncontrolled vehicles enter the ditch, colliding with an un-occupied vehicle in the ditch, while nearly missing its owner as he leapt out of the way.

stlaser:
Few winters back a good friend who is a police officer in Indiana was working a wreck in icy conditions. For the record he is not the most athletic guy nor in that great of shape so afterwards his lack of normal athletic prowess was questioned quite often. Anyhow his squad car was behind said wrecked vehicles on the shoulder & there was a guard rail next to that. So apparently he looks up to see a semi trying to jack knife as it’s sliding towards him & his squad car. He has enough time to dive over the rail & down said embankment head over heals out of the way. Squad car was totaled & no one got hurt seriously.

Wilbur:
Good safety tips there HC....Going to give this to my kids!

:beercheers: :laugh:

EL TATE:
This list of detailed instructions has been sent on to my well deserving sister, who backed her car into mine years ago because the defroster was "taking too long" and I "shouldn't have parked behind her anyway!"

Flyin6:
Yikes!!! ^^^ Sounds like my flying advice, similar, indeed

Things like:
Never preflight the aircraft!! You will likely find something wrong and get less flight time!
If weather conditions are poor and you have lower visibility, get lower to the ground and go faster. That way you will pass all the power lines and towers faster exposing you to less danger overall
Fly into icing conditions! Ice makes stuff slicker, so your aircraft should go faster and save fuel
Do not file flight plans. They are paper. Paper comes from trees. Do not kill trees!
Fuel leaks are not all so bad. When fuel is leaking you can smell it. Should your fuel gage fail in flight, then as long as you continue to smell fuel, continue to fly

Yea, things like that^^^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version