Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build Part 5  (Read 51706 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build Part 5
« Reply #400 on: May 02, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »
The other vehicles looked on with admiration.

I have pressed the Tiger into daily transportation duties. It will be glad not to have to haul my youngest to football practice!

Yea, can you believe that??? Coach wanted to see who was playing this fall and called for two practices this week!!!!!!!!!! It's like the beginning of May for gosh sake!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 02, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »
 :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:41 AM »
Will you please post a video burnout.  Just one.  !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 03, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »
Yep a video of how it sounds and a good run at least! No mulch beds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Where is the Kawa?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 03, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »
I’m sure that’s a relief Don

A video at the exhaust would be great to hear.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 03, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
Wow, that’s an ordeal best shared long-distance.......hoping today is filled with triumphant grins as you test out your upgrades!  Steer clear of the mall until you have fully vetted the work - high-sided in a mulch bed with a mechanical malfunction would be too much to bear after 2 weeks of wrastlin’ with it!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 03, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »
And then just like that, I was finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I looked on, all I could think of was the last words Jesus ever spoke as a human, "It is done."

Somehow it felt like that.

THis project was just immense. I do not recommend anyone tackle this unless you have patience, a spare vehicle, a week+ of long days, and did I mention patience?

Congrats! Man that was a process. I would have had a large diesel fire in my garage on day two I think. Patience of a saint.  :smiley:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
An honest assessment of turbo lag of the new turbo vs the vvt would be helpful too

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »

Dave, I'm older than 24!
I don't do that
I have never done that
Sure, I may spin them for a foot mostly unintentionally
But after growing up (Very recent event) I realized I was the one who had to pay for those expensive tires
Son, stay away from the Tequila!
(Sorry, I stayed above the hard deck, it was clear below and there was no danger, so I took the shot... ;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
I’m sure that’s a relief Don

A video at the exhaust would be great to hear.

An honest assessment of turbo lag of the new turbo vs the vvt would be helpful too

Yea, wilco...
I have to figure out how to shoot a vid on this new camera...I own a Sony 6300, but you know that... Anyway, coming right up, but now...The all important runnin' around test drive
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:26:48 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
And then just like that, I was finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I looked on, all I could think of was the last words Jesus ever spoke as a human, "It is done."

Somehow it felt like that.

THis project was just immense. I do not recommend anyone tackle this unless you have patience, a spare vehicle, a week+ of long days, and did I mention patience?

Congrats! Man that was a process. I would have had a large diesel fire in my garage on day two I think. Patience of a saint.  :smiley:
Oh not as patient as you allow, my friend!

And I seem to have invited that cussin' streak back home for a time...Now I hope he leaves again.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
Wow, that’s an ordeal best shared long-distance.......hoping today is filled with triumphant grins as you test out your upgrades!  Steer clear of the mall until you have fully vetted the work - high-sided in a mulch bed with a mechanical malfunction would be too much to bear after 2 weeks of wrastlin’ with it!
Not goin' to tempt fate Mike! No severe mulch'in in this trucks future. Since I have the mud terrains with still good tread installed, I might attempt a quick drive over some of the mulch that spilled onto the parking area over at the mall!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 03, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
You sayin' burning tires is childish? Man, I must still be in the womb if that's the case. 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 03, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
You sayin' burning tires is childish? Man, I must still be in the womb if that's the case. 

Bro, take it at face value...

Now get me behind a 1970 SS 454 LS6 Chevelle with a stick, and well, that was only made to do burnouts, no other driving activity is safe, but nailing that BBC is just cool!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

Must agree. Love hearing them spin and chip with these little trucks.  :cool:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 03, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »

Must agree. Love hearing them spin and chip with these little trucks.  :cool:

I only did that recently with the trailer attached - outta the driveway after multiple attempts to back in drive failed horribly - around the block to try again!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 03, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
I want a video of Don doing a burnout only to end up in a mulch bed, looking at his truck like “what happened?” 

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 03, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »
LOL Dave.

It sprinkled here yesterday, for the first time in months...very slippery, especially since I had just put the summer skinny tires back on.  :cool:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
Well, the test drive was interesting to say the least

First of all, I mounted the steering shaft (wheel) 180 degrees out of phase! How funny is that. Can't see anything from under the hood, and a shaft reconnected is a job complete, I always say
Oh and when your steering wheel is upside down, the blinkers do not cancel after a turn!

Second, the turbo makes the truck sound somewhat like a powerstroke. You know that particular sound they make??? Well my D-Max sounds almost like that!

I got 76 MPG today over 2,000 miles of driving. Not bad, and that may not be true!

The EGT's are lower, for sure. I never saw four digits even once when I saw the boost gage sitting on 33psi!

There is no turbo lag at all. You step on the throttle and it's there

The transmission is still learning, so I am no where near how the thing used to shift.

The speedo is W A Y off. 60 mph indicated is actually 47 on the GPS
On that count I called Dahnyl, who looked over the tune he sent me and discovered an error in the correction factor, which he corrected. He already sent me a new tune that, as of this writing, I am unable to transfer from the desktop to the Autocal. I'll call him and fix that tomorrow.

I have an appointment for an alignment tomorrow. They say they can correct the upside down steering wheel without having to remove and reinstall the steering shaft, which is deeply buried in all that stuff on the drivers side of the motor.

The sound is just so different. Not Duramax at all. Maybe a cross between a 6.5 detroit diesel from the 90's and a souped up 7.3 power stroke ford...definitely different.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2018, 10:06:33 PM »

Dave, I'm older than 24!
I don't do that
I have never done that
Sure, I may spin them for a foot mostly unintentionally
But after growing up (Very recent event) I realized I was the one who had to pay for those expensive tires
Son, stay away from the Tequila!
(Sorry, I stayed above the hard deck, it was clear below and there was no danger, so I took the shot... ;-))
I will simply not accept this, age has nothing to do with it, cost sure but when all said and done you just dumped $5k into that truck and I won’t let you cry poverty to me afterwords. 

Long ago I made a deal with a friend that if someone or anyone says “do a burn out”, “spin your tires”. I do it.   Being a little kid and watching that was some of my favorite memories. Plus in you case it will royally piss of the neighbors

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
 :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
Don, don't let them correct the wheel by adjusting. On top of that, it would be good to know which way it came off, because there's a clockspring for the airbag under the steering wheel (think recoil spring on a lawnmower). It is only meant to turn, and wind/unwind a certain amount. If I was paying attention, I would've told you to strap the wheel with the seatbelt before removing the shaft. hindsight and all that

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »
Don, don't let them correct the wheel by adjusting. On top of that, it would be good to know which way it came off, because there's a clockspring for the airbag under the steering wheel (think recoil spring on a lawnmower). It is only meant to turn, and wind/unwind a certain amount. If I was paying attention, I would've told you to strap the wheel with the seatbelt before removing the shaft. hindsight and all that
Ken now you are gonna get him fired up about giving him information late or after he had already done it.   

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Didn't know he was pullin' the shaft until after he done did it !! (that's what I'll tell him anyways...he won't remember :) )

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »
All this old age talk,   Hell I am gonna do a burnout tomorrow just because I am a young punk kid!!! 

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:50 AM »
x2 - Always run the seatbelt thru the steering wheel when disconnecting the steering shaft!

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2018, 01:06:36 AM »
Isn't it just a single bolt up on top? At the most pull the fender.

Nice job, now go smoke em!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
Ken now you are gonna get him fired up about giving him information late or after he had already done it.   

Yep, here we are in hindsightville again!

Welp, why should I not have them adjust it out?

Remember I have those really big and very, very deep engaging tie rod/baseball bat things on the steering.

I have an appointment in like 1.5 hours, I have no time (or will) to tear into that thing again.

And I do know all about the clockspring, broke one in my Tundra when I did the SAS.

Having said that, I have no clue about which direction the wheel flopped to or which direction I twisted it to when I reconnected.

This is either going to work, or break the clockspring. I think it is a done deal, and water over the dam at this point.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
Isn't it just a single bolt up on top? At the most pull the fender.

Nice job, now go smoke em!
It's a through bolt JR, 13mm thing. The shaft is hard then bolted after the U-Joint to the sector shaft of the steering box. After removing the top bolt, I pushed the extendable section extending from the steering column up and back into the steering column. At that point gravity took over.
Following that a few days later, when I reconnected it, I rotated the shaft another half to rull turn, possibly 1.5 turns. It could be 50% off, 1 full turn or even 2 full turns. Enough to break the clock spring???
We will find out in a few hours!
Man this is frustrating.

The good news is the thing runs great.
It no longer has the problematic CP4.2 pump.
It no longer has the troublesome 9th injector harness assembly
It does have a ton more power
It now has a much more easily serviceable turbo
It has at least 50% fewer electrical connections under the hood (Read: Simpler) than before.
It has a lot less junk under the hood than before.
It no longer has a convoluted cooling system which was overly complicated by having to cool an EGR system and a turbo.
Now all that not used cooling capacity is just a big reserve for those really hot days that I never had before.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 04, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
...And, working with Chris this morning at MotorOps in Ontario, we reflashed the PCM and now have the speedo within 2 MPH at 50MPH. No time just yet to test it at 70.

And

Allow me to put in a plug for these Canadians. THe guys at MotorOps have just been one class act. I have dealt with them now since October, last year, and they have not failed me once, nor have they failed to deliver on a promise. They do what they say they are going to do, and write some spectacular tunes for these Duramax engines.

Talking to them this morning, I think we are going to offer their tuning through this web site. I may be a little preemptive in stating that, but we are talking about it. I/we demand honesty, truthfulness, a good product and a reputable company who share our beliefs. I think the Motor Ops folks are like that. Just like the Diesel Ops folks, I would like them associated with us, so standby for a standby.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:18:16 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 04, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
Didn't know he was pullin' the shaft until after he done did it !! (that's what I'll tell him anyways...he won't remember :) )
OK, you're forgiven!  :beercheers:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 04, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
Looks like you got what you wanted out of the redo. Took a little longer but now you are ready for the mall mulch.

So how much was the tune from OPS and was it loaded on a new programmer or EFI?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
On a chebbie, to adjust it out they have to use the tie rods....in other words, you'll lose a half turn in one direction, and rub tires the other direction.
..and you knew about the clockspring!?!
Guess that's enough to let me off the hook!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
Looks like you got what you wanted out of the redo. Took a little longer but now you are ready for the mall mulch.

So how much was the tune from OPS and was it loaded on a new programmer or EFI?
This tune was something leas than $200, like maybe around $150ish???

I purchased the EFI autocal and license from them back in October of last year. Once they have your base file, they can upgrade based on hundreds of known factors/mods.

THis is EFI Live, the real deal with the DSP5 switch and 5 programs.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2018, 07:19:39 PM »
OK, today was a success. I told them to drop the steering shaft and align the steering wheel that way, as per Ken's guidance.

So when they placed the steering wheel in the centered position and checked the alignment, everything was within spec, although some parameters were flirting with the limits. So I had them bring it in to nominal settings.

Driving the truck was a pure pleasure. No tire vibration, the steering is about dead neutral. No wandering or darting about ofr seeking the up or downside of the crown. It's right

And the tune is now within 3 MPH from 50 MPH through 75 MPH indicated speed.

The power is just everywhere, although it now sounds like a low rpm powerstroke. And I noticed at least one MPG better already. I did some highway cruising at 70 MPH along with some idling at McDonalds and waiting at traffic lights. Make it a 40 mile loop and at the end I was sitting at 18.0 MPG. That means that country road driving will probably show 3 MPG better for a theoretical 21.0 MPG on the backroads.

So far this is turning out to be a great combination for the LML.

But,

For some reason and for the first time, I got a caution light for the stabilitrak! Never saw that before. Heck, I didn't even think I had that!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »
I guess you really don't know how much of a change in mpg since your are  off on the mph side of the computer from what you were before. Sounds like the work was worth the time spent though with the improvements you have. Great write up by the way...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
Well before this the speedo was off around 4 MPH at 70, so it is just a tad bit closer, but close enough to before to be within the margin of error, me thinks

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
Who cares about mileage?

If you want good mileage get a Prius

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
 :beercheers:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 04, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »
Who cares about mileage?

If you want good mileage get a Prius

Tire conservation people I guess

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 05, 2018, 07:29:14 AM »
Dons report of the stabilitrac caution light is indicating a loss of traction when the tires spun in excess of their ability to hold the road ....... aka a burn-out trying to happen but the bow tie fun police attempted to intervene with countermeasures.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 05, 2018, 08:21:24 AM »
 Could it be that he needs to hold the traction control button for an extended period of time to turn that whole system off?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 05, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
Squirrel!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 05, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
Maybe he was on some mulch?

Thanks for the info on the tunes. That is budget friendly!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 05, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »
Sounds like great results. Honestly, I can't believe you did that job and did not have something go sideways, other than broken bolts and the steering shaft.(no offense)
that was a boat load of work. Kuddos to you sir

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
^^^^Thanks Kenneth

So, took it on another loop today. I mostly drove 60-62 MPH, but got slowed down and stopped for awhile in a traffic jam.

Believe it or not, when I pulled into the driveway to park, it was registering 20.8 MPG!

It has never shown me numbers like that before. This turbo, supported by a CP3 and this Motor Ops tune is great, really is. The truck just feels lighter and more responsive than it ever has before.

With the promise of the torque converter shaving a full second off the zero to sixty and increased mileage, my almost 9,000 lb truck has not yet reached its potential.

So far this is showing itself to be one great modification.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
I’ll reserve comment. A year goes by without complications and I’ll consider tackling this project. Maybe 475 over stock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 13, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
So to report on the assemblage:

Fuel mileage has improved everywhere

I towed three times, light, then maybe 4K then maybe 7K-8K

Mileage was 16.7, 16.3, and 15.3 MPG on each sortie. Speed was a factor. Towing pretty light on a country road I was mid 17's, then had to do a loop at 70 ish and it dropped to 16.3 MPG

I do not like the sound of the thing now. It sounds like a powerstroke, and those things always sound broken to me. The turbo change really made a substantial difference and it is much louder now. I have no reason for that, but it is. So my plan for that is to find a larger muffler and install that in the 4" system replacing the MBRP muffla' that I run now.

But the truck decided to fight me some. I hooked the trailer up to go over and pick up my soffit materials. I get there and one of the tires is cut completely in half! I really couldn't believe it! Never heard it pop, but did notice a strange whining sound on the highway.

But with my helicopter pilut ears, I couldn't hear a nearby atom bomb explosion anyway!

Then I get to my destination and I notice the lift pump is not making any sound

Yea, lift pump again! That's what the third or fourth time that Air Dog lift pump has failed. I put two motors in it over the years, but I think I am done with the AD product.

I do recall the warning from Fleece that this modified CP3 pump requires a lift pump with a 2 micron filter, so I'm parked again, awaiting another costly fix.

Guess i am in the market for a Fass or similar lift pump! Say good bye to extra cash I thought I had!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
Did you get a tire pic?

What about Kennedy for the pumps?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:15 PM »
You not mail in your warranty card for the AD?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal