TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Matthews Precision PM-940M-PDF Vertical Mill

<< < (2/4) > >>

stlaser:

https://youtu.be/frB5piV7fu0

stlaser:
So they processed the order in 3 days, the machine shipped out in two crates yesterday leaving PA. As of this evening it is loaded on a trailer in Chi town, should see it early to mid next week I think. I paid extra for the home delivery with lift gate, figured at 1300#'s I'd rather wheel it into the garage and have it on the floor versus trying to unload it from my trailer with an engine hoist.

stlaser:
Two crates arrived at 9:30 this morning, yes one was missing a lid and one was sitting on what was left of a pallet. The lid missing didn't bother me as it was the base. However, the mill not being shipped on a decent skid seemed to lack a little.

After stripping the outer crate the mill only had one scratch on the back electrical box. The base however is another story as it has quite a bit of paint missing on sharp corners. I emailed MP and noted the crappy packaging and asked for at a minimum the color codes so I could touch them up. No response so far......

All of the hardware and tooling was packaged fairly well, of note when you move a bridgeport it is standard to flip the head and lower the table completely. In the instructions I had to lower the head before I could rig it and lift it from the pallet. I am confused as to why it was not already lowered for shipment?

Adapters for the R8 and a cheap keyed chuck, the bolts to hold down the mill to the base are grade 8.8 socket head cap screws however they are an odd size allen of which I do not have so I had napa order a socket in for me due tomorrow.

Since MP was out of stock of vibration levelers I made my own, a 12 pack of hockey pucks from amazon was $18 delivered and a quick trip for some carriage bolts, nuts and washers ran me $13

stlaser:
I forgot to take pictures of me leveling the base however the PDF manual I had already printed and had it spiral bound for longevity. In it they gave a nice floor layout that did help in planning for positioning of the base in my cramped shop. Of note the base weighs 350# roughly but I easily moved it by hand into place after installing the hockey puck levelers. The mill itself then by my math would weign it at half a ton. In the manual it states to not use an engine hoist at a position of less than 1.5 ton setting. My guess is liability, with the skid under the crate and using an HF 2 ton the reach at 1.5 ton lift would not allow you to get close enough. I did exactly as the manual stated. :wink:

This is a picture but realize there is no tension on the sling being that the lift is at the half ton setting.....  :tongue:

I then magically placed blocks under it so I could grab it from the front side.

The manual also states this is a two man job at bare minimum, glad my alter personality showed up to help. For the record it showed up with the illiterate door hanging solicitor disregarded my little sign on my porch as I was working on this with the garage door open. Thank heavens he arrived or I never would have been able to do this by myself......  :facepalm:

So alignment of the holes can be tricky, they tell you to use wooden dowels or something and then drive them thru. Which would make sense except that the holes have a bottom and those wooden dowels would end up in the way of the bolts. So I er my alter personality just used 4 dog peckers......

Here it sits as of 1600 today

Shelf will need massaged so door will open

KensAuto:
Heck yeah.
Looks like yours came with a Southside layer of Bondo just as thick as mine. .. probably why they weigh so much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version