TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Bench vise stand

<< < (2/7) > >>

cruizng:
Nate, I'm probably no help but I have my vise mounted to my welding table. It is over 800# so I have beat the snot out of anything in the vise without it moving. It also depends on how big your vise is and what you will use it for. Just holding stuff the post would probably be ok. If you want to heat stuff and then use it as an anvil then the table or bench would be the way to go.

:popcorn:

Nate:

--- Quote from: Bob/OlallaWa on May 01, 2018, 10:39:35 PM ---Nate, a 5 gal. bucket some cement  concrete and a 4X6 makes a nice stand for vices and grinders.

--- End quote ---

good idea and I cant argue with that for a grinder stand

--- Quote from: stlaser on May 02, 2018, 12:01:54 AM ---Grinder stand looks nice, best mount I had was one with a 4” sq tube coming up from a steel truck wheel and a pice of 6” channel at the top. I like the grinder mounted to a wheel as it’s easy to roll whenever you need if/when you move it.

As far as vice I think table mounted is best, mine gets beat on a lot. A post in a bucket of Crete wouldn’t last long for me but to each his own.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: KensAuto on May 02, 2018, 12:18:50 AM ---Vise needs a bench for leverage, especially when Donkey Kong is pulling on something tightened down in said vise.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: wyorunner on May 02, 2018, 12:41:27 AM ---Although I don’t own a shop like Ken or Shawn, I agree that a vice needs to be bench mounted. I’m a little fellar, but leverage is a mans best friend which will probably tip a small base when you have a two foot or bigger cheater bar on something, you need more then that on the other end to keep it some what firmly planted. And that is a good size vise, which can handle bigger projects, and heavier beatings.

--- End quote ---

I agree

--- Quote from: cruizng on May 02, 2018, 07:46:01 AM ---Nate, I'm probably no help but I have my vise mounted to my welding table. It is over 800# so I have beat the snot out of anything in the vise without it moving. It also depends on how big your vise is and what you will use it for. Just holding stuff the post would probably be ok. If you want to heat stuff and then use it as an anvil then the table or bench would be the way to go.

:popcorn:

--- End quote ---

I wish I had the room and the table you made

Bigdave_185:
I have mounted a grinder to a table and it was a bad idea for one single reason,   Depending n what I was working with the table or the wall was always in the way of swinging the part where it needed to go.   

Video on a bench I think is the winning idea along with what the other folks have said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave945:
I don’t know much, but my grandfather had his vise mounted to a 12 ft workbench. I used to hang on that thing trying to get parts loosened up from my old 67 Chevy and it never budged. I think that’s the kind of base you want with a vise, something relatively immovable. Whether that is a small bench that is firmly mounted to the floor, or something with a wide base and a lot of weight(Hillary), you want it to be able to counteract any leverage you are going to be using against it.

Justmy two cents.

JR:
A stand for the grinder is fine. Lets you grind funny things and keeps the crud off the bench.

I had one of those brake stands for a vise, hated it. Always seemed to be in the way, moves way easier than it looks (unless you want to move it).

Mount a smaller vise on the table and a bigger vise on a dedicated poll that is solid! You will pry and heat things in it and solid is what you want!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version