Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bench vise stand  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Bench vise stand
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »
So i got a 5" bench vise and grinder from my grandfather, and i am trying to figure out how to mount the bench vise.

So the grinder i think i am going to mount on this stand?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001LQXM2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The bench vise i am trying to figure out if i should get somebody to make me a stand like one of these...

https://www.google.com/search?biw=640&bih=92&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=NhjpWu7wAoSGjwTX8KfgCg&q=brake+drum+bench+vise+stand&oq=brake+drum+bench+vise+stand&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.12...1288436.1292115..1294408...0....131.1128.6j5......0....1.........0i13j0i13i5i30j30i10.y6f5C6NQhXM%3D

Or if i should mount it to the table?

What are the thoughts from you all........
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bench vise stand
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
Nate, a 5 gal. bucket some cement  concrete and a 4X6 makes a nice stand for vices and grinders.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:54 AM »
Grinder stand looks nice, best mount I had was one with a 4” sq tube coming up from a steel truck wheel and a pice of 6” channel at the top. I like the grinder mounted to a wheel as it’s easy to roll whenever you need if/when you move it.

As far as vice I think table mounted is best, mine gets beat on a lot. A post in a bucket of Crete wouldn’t last long for me but to each his own.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:18:50 AM »
Vise needs a bench for leverage, especially when Donkey Kong is pulling on something tightened down in said vise.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Bench vise stand
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:41:27 AM »
Although I don’t own a shop like Ken or Shawn, I agree that a vice needs to be bench mounted. I’m a little fellar, but leverage is a mans best friend which will probably tip a small base when you have a two foot or bigger cheater bar on something, you need more then that on the other end to keep it some what firmly planted. And that is a good size vise, which can handle bigger projects, and heavier beatings.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:46:09 AM by wyorunner »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
Nate, I'm probably no help but I have my vise mounted to my welding table. It is over 800# so I have beat the snot out of anything in the vise without it moving. It also depends on how big your vise is and what you will use it for. Just holding stuff the post would probably be ok. If you want to heat stuff and then use it as an anvil then the table or bench would be the way to go.

:popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
Nate, a 5 gal. bucket some cement  concrete and a 4X6 makes a nice stand for vices and grinders.

good idea and I cant argue with that for a grinder stand

Grinder stand looks nice, best mount I had was one with a 4” sq tube coming up from a steel truck wheel and a pice of 6” channel at the top. I like the grinder mounted to a wheel as it’s easy to roll whenever you need if/when you move it.

As far as vice I think table mounted is best, mine gets beat on a lot. A post in a bucket of Crete wouldn’t last long for me but to each his own.

Vise needs a bench for leverage, especially when Donkey Kong is pulling on something tightened down in said vise.

Although I don’t own a shop like Ken or Shawn, I agree that a vice needs to be bench mounted. I’m a little fellar, but leverage is a mans best friend which will probably tip a small base when you have a two foot or bigger cheater bar on something, you need more then that on the other end to keep it some what firmly planted. And that is a good size vise, which can handle bigger projects, and heavier beatings.

I agree

Nate, I'm probably no help but I have my vise mounted to my welding table. It is over 800# so I have beat the snot out of anything in the vise without it moving. It also depends on how big your vise is and what you will use it for. Just holding stuff the post would probably be ok. If you want to heat stuff and then use it as an anvil then the table or bench would be the way to go.

:popcorn:

I wish I had the room and the table you made
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
I have mounted a grinder to a table and it was a bad idea for one single reason,   Depending n what I was working with the table or the wall was always in the way of swinging the part where it needed to go.   

Video on a bench I think is the winning idea along with what the other folks have said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
I don’t know much, but my grandfather had his vise mounted to a 12 ft workbench. I used to hang on that thing trying to get parts loosened up from my old 67 Chevy and it never budged. I think that’s the kind of base you want with a vise, something relatively immovable. Whether that is a small bench that is firmly mounted to the floor, or something with a wide base and a lot of weight(Hillary), you want it to be able to counteract any leverage you are going to be using against it.

Justmy two cents.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:00:21 PM »
A stand for the grinder is fine. Lets you grind funny things and keeps the crud off the bench.

I had one of those brake stands for a vise, hated it. Always seemed to be in the way, moves way easier than it looks (unless you want to move it).

Mount a smaller vise on the table and a bigger vise on a dedicated poll that is solid! You will pry and heat things in it and solid is what you want!

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
So today i drilled the 3 holes and mounted the vise to the new bench.  I must say that the new bench is not man enought to handle such equipment........the bench must have come from sexual orientation central out there by JR or possibly libtard central by ken
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:23:06 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
Not going to last, better send it out to me.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 12:39:07 AM »
Ehh, beat on it until it falls apart, then move the vice to a better bench... you know, forced upgrades!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 12:50:43 AM »
That bench is about at strong as the vise, he might be OK.

Nate, you bought the bench. Maybe you need a REAL MAN BENCH  :facepalm:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:23 AM »
Cover it with the packaging - it’ll last much longer and be fire proof
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »

I do not disagree jr, but that is the bench that will get used while staying in a rental.  Once we get our own place, there will be a permanent "REALMAN BENCH" that will be able to withstand anything that a special (mentally challenged) warrant officer pilot could possibly think to throw at it/do to it/try to burn it down with whatever.........

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »
Since it’s a rental I guess that rules out concrete anchors.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
Not going to last, better send it out to me.

Naw, Ken, I got this one

Nate, send it to me, no sense in settin' yourself up for future disappointments!

That's what friends are for!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »

I do not disagree jr, but that is the bench that will get used while staying in a rental.  Once we get our own place, there will be a permanent "REALMAN BENCH" that will be able to withstand anything that a special (mentally challenged) warrant officer pilot could possibly think to throw at it/do to it/try to burn it down with whatever.........
Now, that sounds like a straight-up challenge to me!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
Oh, and Nate, what's that ugly round green thing in the pic?

If it were me, I'd reenact the scene in the bible where Moses is on the mountain speakin' to the burnin' bush!

Call it an act of worship if the hippies, strike that, if the neighbors complain!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Looks like a "service tree"  :cool:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »

Hadn't thought about that

Get a new pup

Teach him to relieve himself on it,

Then

Place the tree in neighbor's yard during the day...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »

Now, that sounds like a straight-up challenge to me!

that could very well be......

lets not talk about that tree/bush.......HH6 wanted a round tree/bush that would not turn to crap/have to be replaced/deteriorate with the weather in front of the house so she could tell our house apart from the other cookie cutters of this neighborhood.  so no, that is not a service tree for maynard......

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
It’s your pup really named Maynard? If not I think I will name the next dog that.  I like it

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
Yep, my 8 year old shepherd is named maynard.  His akc registration name is something like der König Maynard

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »
Yep, my 8 year old shepherd is named maynard.  His akc registration name is something like der König Maynard
"Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to swim"...  :popcorn:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »
say what tate?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:06:00 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
used the bench vise to hold the stand for the bench grinder while I bolted it together.  the grinder stand is actually not to shabby.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
Mama's got that look on her face like "WTH happened to my garage!!".

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »
Hahaha.....

She was actually looking at her plants that were sitting on the table behind my smoker.

So we actually have a 3 stall garage with 2 doors.  She parks her caddy in the main part of the garage, and everything else (i have been given specific instructions) is to remain far enough away from the caddy so as not to fall and damage it and on top of that, she is to have enough room to freely walk around her caddy to/from the house door.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »
Sounds reasonable.

OldKooT

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
ya know.... I was just mulling over this vice/grinder subject myself for my temp shop. As much as I like a vice on a bench for the leverage abuse ability...I think I am going to mount one on a post of some sort because I like the flexibility of almost anything now fits in the vice. Remains to be seen how well this will work out LoL

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal