Hello Guest

Author Topic: SOS Thermostats  (Read 2736 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SOS Thermostats
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
Truck through a cold this morning and now have to replace thermostats.  Ken-Don et al; how big job is that on LML?  Is it something I can get done in a day without any difficulties?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SOS Thermostats
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »
Truck through a cold this morning and now have to replace thermostats.  Ken-Don et al; how big job is that on LML?  Is it something I can get done in a day without any difficulties?
Yea,
T-stats not that big of a deal
Everything is up on top and forward
Get a comfortable cushion to lay on!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
Can you give me the Cliff Notes version of what I’m gonna have to tear down?   Or is it something that I would have seen in the thread on see Max while you were doing the fuel pump?

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
Take bolts out, remove t-stats, install new ones, put bolts back in, add coolant, rinse.

Jeez Mike, need someone to hold your hands?  :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
Take bolts out, remove t-stats, install new ones, put bolts back in, add coolant, rinse.

Jeez Mike, need someone to hold your hands?  :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You can type  awfully well for one armed mechanic! You know it’s more involved than that you rascal!  I’m trying to avoid the one-day project turning into three!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
I do believe there was a DIY done on it on DF?

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/148616-diy-_-thermostat-replacement.html

I used this one and even commented on it when I did mine on my LBZ.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Can you give me the Cliff Notes version of what I’m gonna have to tear down?   Or is it something that I would have seen in the thread on see Max while you were doing the fuel pump?
Ya, Mike, plenty of pics in my CP3 install blog

But like Kenneth said, its fairly easy by comparison to most things one needs to do to these trucks performing routine maintenance.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »
 I got a question on the serpentine belt tensioner. Do you just simply put a breaker bar in there and turn it counterclockwise to loosen it? Or is there a nut and bolt that needs to be loosened set the tension and retighten that Notten bolt? It appears online video show you just put a breaker bar in there and turn it the correct way to take tention off the belt and then reverse that process and it locks in place on its own. Do I have that correct?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
just put a breaker bar and give it a turn
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
Wait why you taking off the belt? I need to do mine as well, since it overheated a couple years back. ...I'll look at it to see how hard. I think these are easier than previous models....and I haven't done a LML yet.

...just looked Mikey. Don't take the belt off, just unbolt the shroud and the fuel test port and move it out of the way. Doesn't look too bad.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:18:46 PM by KensAuto »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:49:56 PM »
Thanks Ken - I've been looking at it too, scratching my head, buying tools I now probably don't need.....based off on-line video not realizing it was for an earlier model.  At least I'm prepared for replacing the serpentine belt sometime later!

Does anybody know how I'm going to bleed the coolant system of air upon reassembly?  I'm not spotting a bleed nut - only what I think is the fuel test port (tube with black cap that reminds me of an A/C service port.

I'm thinking I'll pump about 2-3 gallons of coolant out of the reserve tank hoping to avoid anti-freeze everywhere when i break the hose/housing loose.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »
If you "cheat" and just unbolt it (leave upper hose on), swap t-stats, and top off, you should be good. It's not an issue unless air gets trapped under the t-stats.
Hose off the mess before starting, especially the belt.
That's the safest way (but a little messy)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
LOL - mechanic tricks - charge manual specified time rate, perform "south of the boarder" technique and "detail" the engine for the customer!   :grin:  :likebutton:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
you are already into it just flush and replace the coolant while you are there. You know it hasnt been done since new and it is overdue.  proably why your thermos went bad....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
well its now the end of the day, whats the outcome?!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
Today was last day of work so I have not cut into it. Went and purchased everything I needed so I can get at it first thing in the morning. Busy looking at planning my attack!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
and where will theDOT portion go????
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
My lbz has a bleeder screw.  The new ones don’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal