Hello Guest

Author Topic: Get it off your chest / whats bothering you  (Read 37686 times)

OldKooT

Re: Get it off your chest / whats bothering you
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
Tate is your truck a lq4 or lq 9? 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
You could drive it till it goes pop. You'd be surprised how long it will last with 15psi. I have a company vehicle running around with 8, and 0 at idle...spun cam bearing.  They just don't want to spend the money.  Only thing that would take it out quicker is if the roller lifters aren't rolling anymore.

it's got some lifter noise, I have to stop by and listen to it today and make a decision. $2200 for a 6.0L w/ 60k on it, no core no tax, delivered is my best offer on a replacement so far. what would you do to prolong it if you decided to just drive it Ken? My wife basically runs back and forth to dance the grocery store with it. throw some 10w40 at it?
I'm running 20-50 in the one I mentioned, and it travels to Phoenix weekly. We just did a service on it Monday, so it has at least 3k on it since I diagnosed it. I bet you could easily get a year out of it as a grocery getter....guessing of course.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Don, I’m sure Tate has contacts they Randy’s for shipping but if not I have a guy out of Memphis that is extremely competitive
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2019, 04:01:32 PM »
Don, I’m sure Tate has contacts they Randy’s for shipping but if not I have a guy out of Memphis that is extremely competitive
I'm sure he does.

I checked right after I made the statement. I found several for sale ranging from $600 up to $4K for a 408" stroker. Several in the $1200 arena and one or two between $2K-$2,500.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2019, 05:24:50 PM »
That sounds better. Plus competition lets you deal some.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
That’s the reason why I hate to pay people to do anything.  Some crews are better than others. The Sheetrock guy I hired only does the taping and floating and he subs out the rock.

The expectation, unless you state otherwise when they are providing the estimate is that all they have to do is walk in and cut and place rock and then float and tape.  Waste and trash is your responsibility. They should have told you when you got the estimate that you had to have all the stuff off the walls and ceiling before they got there. 

I backed my trailer near the front door as I had them at least throw all their scraps in the trailer which made it easy for me to dump it.

Moral of the story is don’t assume anything and be specific in your contract.  Mine left a lot of mud dropped and smeared on the sub floor which I wish I had covered because I had to sand it off. They also spattered it all in my roughed in shower which I had to clean off to get prepped for tile.

At least they masked the windows with plastic....

So in the end, did they do a good job with the rock and tape? Smooth and decent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep definitely in the details. They didn’t tape or mud. I will do that. I just didn’t want to lift the sheets to the ceiling. And then once I got done hauling all of the stuff out and prepping I told them to do the walls.

They did a good job hanging the sheet rock. They had a couple of spots around a light box where the router went crazy that you can hide with mud.

All in all it’s ok. I just can’t remember the last time I paid anyone to do anything.  Not like I’m building all the time though.

Lessons learned. But hey!!  It’s only money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:53 PM »
Well. Not a great test but it was 27' outside and 36' in the garage when I got home tonight. I filled up the torpedo kerosene heater and within one hour it was at 70'.

Mike

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
Just for reference my guys priced the job by the sq ft of rock. I paid $1.11/sq ft of wall surface for install tape float and texture

The spray foam was about $1.60 sq ft

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »
Oh sure... rub it in.. LOL... It's almost over.. heater to be installed today. Then I can start doing my thing.  :beercheers:
Mike

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »
You could drive it till it goes pop. You'd be surprised how long it will last with 15psi. I have a company vehicle running around with 8, and 0 at idle...spun cam bearing.  They just don't want to spend the money.  Only thing that would take it out quicker is if the roller lifters aren't rolling anymore.

it's got some lifter noise, I have to stop by and listen to it today and make a decision. $2200 for a 6.0L w/ 60k on it, no core no tax, delivered is my best offer on a replacement so far. what would you do to prolong it if you decided to just drive it Ken? My wife basically runs back and forth to dance the grocery store with it. throw some 10w40 at it?
I'm running 20-50 in the one I mentioned, and it travels to Phoenix weekly. We just did a service on it Monday, so it has at least 3k on it since I diagnosed it. I bet you could easily get a year out of it as a grocery getter....guessing of course.

Lifter noise is pronounced on both sides, 15psi at cold idle and at operating temp. Camshaft bearing is main suspect as it turns out the BLASTED O RING had degraded and was probably contributing to wear for a long period of time. But because I very rarely drove it, I never noticed if operating PSI was out of normal range or not. Likely the jiffy lube scenario was just coincidental, possibly put on a dry filter that spelled the end of the ailing o-ring/pump and accelerated us to this point, but based on blackstone labs test results and the shop findings, I can't find a way to blame jiffy lube, (although I really want to) that will stick.

what is the collective opinion on tearing down the top end and rebuilding now that I'm not in a hurry and know where I stand for the most part? Bear in mind, the bottom end looks flawless. bearing caps came off and bearings look practically new w/ 190k on them.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
I would recommend getting a used long block and have it completely rebuilt and swapped once done?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »
Pull motor, strip refresh, new cam and a head job (can I say that here!  :tongue: ) then reinstall....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Pull motor, strip refresh, new cam and a head job (can I say that here!  :tongue: ) then reinstall....

Best option. No questions about it then and you have it.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Tate do you have the ability to "rebuild" it at home yourself?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »

Think last time I spoke to Tate about home garage he did not have one but it was in future plans. But he has that view I wish I had & fresh seafood too!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »

working that angle on it now. the bottom end is spotless. No exaggeration. not unlike Don's Burban. it's back at the house and I think i'll take the heads off myself and get a better look at things. weather has been really mild this year outside of wind storms, not much rain or cold to speak of. getting tired of paying for maybes. if I had my garage still this would have been done months ago and we'd be talking about how great my rebuilt Yukon runs.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
Do they have any of those "rent a garage" workspaces near you Tate? Heck, even a storage unit with decent power might suffice.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
when it gets to the point I need a cover I've got a few options. I ran a little to hard at this up front. I'm going to take my time, get the heads off, evaluate from there. I can do the heads in a weekend easy.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2019, 06:04:39 PM »
You said the low end is clean, but the cam journels are bad? I would pull the motor for that.

If the short block is good, just get some exchange heads and your good. Drop in a nice cam and go.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:06:17 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »

Lifter noise is pronounced on both sides, 15psi at cold idle and at operating temp. Camshaft bearing is main suspect as it turns out the BLASTED O RING had degraded and was probably contributing to wear for a long period of time. But because I very rarely drove it, I never noticed if operating PSI was out of normal range or not. Likely the jiffy lube scenario was just coincidental, possibly put on a dry filter that spelled the end of the ailing o-ring/pump and accelerated us to this point, but based on blackstone labs test results and the shop findings, I can't find a way to blame jiffy lube, (although I really want to) that will stick.

what is the collective opinion on tearing down the top end and rebuilding now that I'm not in a hurry and know where I stand for the most part? Bear in mind, the bottom end looks flawless. bearing caps came off and bearings look practically new w/ 190k on them.
Well, its a lot of work, especially when you have to remove the oil pump. I'm sure you have been following mu cam change...

I'm now removing the oil pan which entails dropping the front diff a bit.

But when you do, wouldn't you want to replace cam bushings? That means pulling the engine and doing a complete teardown, So might as well rering and bearings, hot tank, line boring and...ad-nauseum
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
It's a high mileage LS engine. No need to line bore in all honesty. They aren't all that prone to core shift. Distinct chance he could pull the engine...have it thoroughly cleaned/hot tanked..slap it together and run it. $500 and hes on the road. 

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
It's a high mileage LS engine. No need to line bore in all honesty. They aren't all that prone to core shift. Distinct chance he could pull the engine...have it thoroughly cleaned/hot tanked..slap it together and run it. $500 and hes on the road.

With all the iron in the pan, how high is the likelihood that the cam journals are savable? I'm not sure how it actually works, but I would imagine there are methods to machine the journals and install bearings/bushings that take up the new distance? I've got a good machine shop here that I've worked with for a long time and will pose these questions to him as well, I just like to get the general consensus from the crew here. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
I doubt the actual block is damaged, just the cam bearings. Getting all the crud out is the ticket then have new bearings put in.

You will basically have a new motor.

You say time is no biggie so that would get the most bang for the buck. Used motors will always be in question some.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:45:55 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
I doubt the actual block is damaged, just the cam bearings. Getting all the crud out is the ticket then have new bearings put in.

You will basically have a new motor.

You say time is no biggie so that would get the most bang for the buck. Used motors will always be in question some.
Exactly what I was thinking. Right now, I'm planning on tearing down to the block myself, getting the block and heads to the machine shop, do the tcase rear half while I have the motor out, (I did find pump rub evidence), and bolt everything back up with all the new parts I've already paid for in the past year; alternator, water pump, oil pump & timing chain, plugs and wires, and then I really WILL have a new motor.

OldKooT

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »
Most likely you will have no issues rebuilding the engine. Like JR said, getting it properly hot tanked, the oil journals scrubbed clean and quality machine work/parts, and you should be like new. If the truck has a oil cooler, make sure those parts are properly cleaned or replaced *cooler* as well.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Most likely you will have no issues rebuilding the engine. Like JR said, getting it properly hot tanked, the oil journals scrubbed clean and quality machine work/parts, and you should be like new. If the truck has a oil cooler, make sure those parts are properly cleaned or replaced *cooler* as well.

Good lookin out on the oil cooler, didn't think of that one.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
^^^radiator replacement.  It's hard to get them clean via flushing
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
Raising kid choices!

I am very much a man of routine for the simple things in my life.   I follow the same thing every morning when possible

My wife on the other hand does not from my point of view

Each morning she is up before me getting ready for her day ( ladies take forever) the twins get up between 6-6:10 and start always fighting.   One thing they fight about the most is pants they don’t want to wear ( I insist they wear Levi type pants to day care not sweats or lounge type cloths to build that dress right type of foundation I fight regularly with the 11yr old boy) the second fight is over a fruit snack/cracker combo that mom makes for them each morning to take on the car ride to daycare

This is what usually wakes me up. Screaming kids!!! Which is much less than desirable.  I have suggested many times we go the few days of a battle of “no treats in the morning” and the routine of them getting treats will get broken and it can go back to being a reward instead of expected.    Mom continues to disregard advise and this morning both kids had a flop on the floor breakdown over who got what cup color for the damn crackers!!   

Dad now awake, cups removed from said children and treats are going in my mouth right now.   The next time I wake up with screaming kids I am moving to the basement.     

Less is more with young kids.  They don’t need choices they need shown what is right and choices can be made later.   
If I ask my son if he wants to put on socks to go outside he will tell me no he doesn’t and walk out into the cold garage.  If I tell him Max do you want to come into the garage? “Yes” than you need socks on.
Do you want to go out with dad to work? “No” that’s ok Max be good I’ll be back.  If he says “yes” ok you need Levi’s and socks and shoes.     

I can’t stand giving kids options they don’t really have a choice on.    I can’t stand offering choices that they don’t need

At work this week I was asked to make some custom sample colors for cabinets and my first thought was “YES I can make some custom cool Shiz and everyone will love it” sat back a minute and thought wait.  If I give them a crazy eight-ten step stain process sample some lady will come in love it but not want to pay for it and I will have to repeat the time consuming process on a whole kitchen.   I have some simple color choices in the basic colors of blue, brown, red, grey, black and so forth and we will see what the price options will be for others before I make samples and hang them on the wall

Choices fellas choices.    I want a hot cup of coffee my morning shower and NO screaming kids to start my morning off with a headache

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
Dave, good luck with your endeavors.

Just remember, they will always be your children and everything that implies. Mine are 14,15,16 (almost 17) & i spent last night (from 8- until after 10pm after I had went to bed and fallen asleep once mind you) dealing with two of them fighting over clothes.... :rolleyes:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
I suggest we trade kids,   I’ll take away all the cloths at the point In my morning they can wear and own only uniforms lol

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Dark blue no hole blue jeans from the local Walmart and red t shirts and a red pill over hoodie option. White socks and the most uncomfortable pair of canvas shoes I can find for under $30. 

Sound good? Lol 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »
I hear you Dave, the big one hear is who rides in the front seat (went odd-even with boys). But that only holds if they want it. Daughter will be driving soon and will help with at least one of them.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
 Get up earlier??

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »
as nate sits here drinking his morning coffee in peace and quiet  :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Get it off your chest / whats bothering you
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
as nate sits here drinking his morning coffee in peace and quiet  :popcorn:

I’d wager it wasn’t always this way! But yea I too drink my coffee in somewhat quiet, our boy is just driving cars around in the morning waiting for breakfast. But I imagine it’s because there is only he and I most mornings.

Dave Sorry to hear that’s what you have to wake up to. Can you just make the boys wear and use all identical items? Back to that no choice thing!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:26:31 AM by wyorunner »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
I would be all for uniforms. But momma lets them wear lounge cloths.     I am ok with lounge cloths but you act different in them.   It’s just that morning head ache  lol

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »
Raising kid choices!

I am very much a man of routine for the simple things in my life.   I follow the same thing every morning when possible

My wife on the other hand does not from my point of view

Each morning she is up before me getting ready for her day ( ladies take forever) the twins get up between 6-6:10 and start always fighting.   One thing they fight about the most is pants they don’t want to wear ( I insist they wear Levi type pants to day care not sweats or lounge type cloths to build that dress right type of foundation I fight regularly with the 11yr old boy) the second fight is over a fruit snack/cracker combo that mom makes for them each morning to take on the car ride to daycare

This is what usually wakes me up. Screaming kids!!! Which is much less than desirable.  I have suggested many times we go the few days of a battle of “no treats in the morning” and the routine of them getting treats will get broken and it can go back to being a reward instead of expected.    Mom continues to disregard advise and this morning both kids had a flop on the floor breakdown over who got what cup color for the damn crackers!!   

Dad now awake, cups removed from said children and treats are going in my mouth right now.   The next time I wake up with screaming kids I am moving to the basement.     

Less is more with young kids.  They don’t need choices they need shown what is right and choices can be made later.   
If I ask my son if he wants to put on socks to go outside he will tell me no he doesn’t and walk out into the cold garage.  If I tell him Max do you want to come into the garage? “Yes” than you need socks on.
Do you want to go out with dad to work? “No” that’s ok Max be good I’ll be back.  If he says “yes” ok you need Levi’s and socks and shoes.     

I can’t stand giving kids options they don’t really have a choice on.    I can’t stand offering choices that they don’t need

At work this week I was asked to make some custom sample colors for cabinets and my first thought was “YES I can make some custom cool Shiz and everyone will love it” sat back a minute and thought wait.  If I give them a crazy eight-ten step stain process sample some lady will come in love it but not want to pay for it and I will have to repeat the time consuming process on a whole kitchen.   I have some simple color choices in the basic colors of blue, brown, red, grey, black and so forth and we will see what the price options will be for others before I make samples and hang them on the wall

Choices fellas choices.    I want a hot cup of coffee my morning shower and NO screaming kids to start my morning off with a headache

Such is life. At some point you will look back and miss some of that screaming. That is why I was always up and out of the house before anyone else was awake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
^^^^^^^ that’s how I rolled when they were little & screaming!  :likebutton:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2019, 11:55:09 PM »
I AM THE GUY THAT WILL MAKE YOU HIT THE BARRELS!!!!!  I HATE JACK ARSES THAT THINK THEY ARE SO ENTITLED AND BELIEVE THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!!!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2019, 12:01:24 AM »
Dont get me started on those should have been swallowed or should have been stains individuals that cruise at the speed limit or under in the left lane .......or cant understand or fail to comprehend that you should be doing the speed limit once you come to the end of the on ramp and merge into traffic instead of making traffic slam on their breaks and move because of your moron-ness...... :facepalm:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:24 AM »
That almost got me into a big one last week. Short ramp and all the cars in front of me looked to be merging, I pushed the go pedal, looked up and there (3 cars) were just rolling about 5mph into moving traffic! Pushed the stop pedal and slide between them and moving traffic, no room to go anywhere else.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:37 AM »
I've pushed somebody off the road before.  Coming into my hometown it says for a mile that the right lane ends.  Then it says the right lane is a turn right only lane.  Well they didn't want to slow down to merge behind me and didn't speed up to get in front of me (I continued travelling a couple of miles/ hour over the limit like I always did in that area), and we were traveling to fast for them to turn.  It was winter at the time and there was a pretty good bank of snow along the road.  I can still remember the snow chunks flying through the air when they hit that bank.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
My brother-in-law used his inclosed trailer to run some Subaru hippie into a guard rail on I-15.

Over the years I have noted that in Utah if you have a bicycle rack and I have a diesel truck the Subaru drive feels polarized to block the lane that you want to travel in.    Many times slowing down or speeding up for the purpose of blocking you.   
Well my brother in law had had enough of the road bike carrying Subaru driver and turned his turn signal on and merged to the left and put the Subaru into the wall. 
The police showed up a few days later to ask questions about the wreck,   He played dumb as he has many trailers and lots of trucks driving around.    He didn’t have anyone say anything to him but he would ask as trailers returned.  The cop thought that was fair enough and left it alone.

As for road rage I used to be very much the aggressor.   Their isn’t much of a better way to stop a idiot from bothering you like setting a full-size hand cannon on your dash in plain site for them to see

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
My tuck alone is big enough for my antics. Kids at my daughters HS like to force their way in when the lane ends, I don't let em.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »
The signs say "lane ends merge left" The driver in that lane does in fact have to merge in front of some one right? As long as they are trying to merge safely, why not let them in?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
I don't have a problem with letting them merge. It's the ones trying to ride it out till the end to pass everyone else that responsibly merged when the sign suggested, then create a new backup when they try to force their way over...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »
The signs say "lane ends merge left" The driver in that lane does in fact have to merge in front of some one right? As long as they are trying to merge safely, why not let them in?

Its a right turn lane only, no merge. No lane ahead just kids and crosswalks.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
I agree but... If everyone drove to the end of the lane and took turns merging things would be a lot smoother than all the movements that take place for the 1/4 mile before the lane ends slowing the left lane to a crawl and causing tempers to flare. I think concrete barriers, not just barrels or cones, between the two lanes from some point all the way down to the merge area would be a good traffic flow improvement,  keep both lanes moving at about the same pace, and just maybe keep the jerks in both lanes under control. Now the person that pays no attention to traffic at the on ramp and causes stop and go conditions should have to go to driver training.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
Just really an issue when everyone is in a hurry to get to school. See parents and kids doing it. Most just merge with no issue, some just go all the way to the end and cause the issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
Yup, someone's always more important that someone else. Just zipper in and out. I try to make it a point to let at least one person in front but I do get heated w/ the jack knob behind them forces their way in as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal