Hello Guest

Author Topic: salt water boat  (Read 13823 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
salt water boat
« on: August 30, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
Well things haven't been a cake walk getting a boat bought and set up. I found one a ferry boat ride and long drive away, but wanted it set up with a few additional items. Things keep popping up and delivery keeps getting pushed back. Latest problem was the main outboard showed up as an electronic control set up instead of old school cable controls. No big deal except it is a 2,000 dollar upgrade. Enough I said, send me back my deposit and I will find something else. Got a call next day that the electric "fly by wire" motor is being installed and the boat should be ready 1st of next week and no additional charge. I know nothing about this dealer, a bit nervous about the whole thing, but just maybe they will be ok. The dealership doesn't have many good reviews but is under new ownership so time will tell. :undecided: :undecided:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: salt water boat
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:18:38 PM »
Well, that doesn’t sound like fun. Your gut will probably be right, asking for your deposit back that is....

Hope that isn’t the case though.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:25 AM »
I’m gander a guess the actual cost of the upgrade is half, or $1000 and they made the mistake and they can’t send it back so you may be the benefactor if their mistake.

I guess you’ll know when you get to the store and look at the paperwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
The hardest part of trying to get this deal done is it is too far to drive into the store every time something is going sideways. I think it will be a very long day going over the boat if and when I go to pick it up.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:01:16 AM »

Good news, the new boat is sitting in my yard and they didn't jump the price any from the original quote. The big motor even came with a stainless prop. It will be fine till it meets its end on some drift or heaven forbid the bottom. Then it will turn into an aluminum prop if they make them for it.

Yup Nate, two good days in the same week, sold one and bought another. Bad part is it is almost time to put it to bed for the winter unless I tow it to AZ with me for a few months.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:32 AM »

Good news, the new boat is sitting in my yard and they didn't jump the price any from the original quote. The big motor even came with a stainless prop. It will be fine till it meets its end on some drift or heaven forbid the bottom. Then it will turn into an aluminum prop if they make them for it.

Yup Nate, two good days in the same week, sold one and bought another. Bad part is it is almost time to put it to bed for the winter unless I tow it to AZ with me for a few months.

congratulations bob.  not many places down there for boat usage except havasu is there?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:38:28 AM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
I like good days!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Nate, Lake Mohave from Bullhead almost to Hover Dam. Limited access along the shoreline so  breaking down really is not an option. Nice to have the extra motor, even though it is small, it should get me back to the trailer if needed.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
interesting
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
Today was nice enough to get a few photos. 21ft plus swim platform for mounting engines. Haven't got it to the water yet but soon.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
Hard to get a photo of the inside

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:14:52 PM »
I have never owned an aluminum boat before but the bank was nice enough to buy me one. Sure a lot of welding to get one put together

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
Looking really really nice there Bob. Enjoy!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
Really nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »
Very nice

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »
Absolutely beautiful Bob. Congrats.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
 :likebutton:   So is it a jet boat too, or is that just catchy branding?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
The company started life just making jet boats for the river guides and tours. Now they make lots of models and sizes, inboard jets, outboard jets, and outboard boats both lakes and off shore models. We have lots of heavy gauge welded aluminum boat builders in the region, big business.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Very nice Bob. Should be fun for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
Looks like a quality built boat Bob

Congrats and enjoy!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I laid awake more than a few nights wondering if I had made a good choice buying this boat.
 I think I may not be able to launch or retrieve this one by myself. Could have saved a lot of money if I  hadn't gone with a closed cabin model, and didn't really need some of the options. But, it is going to be nice if the wind kicks up the water or it starts raining like crazy. Probably won't be able to pull a skier,but can sit around and watch others out having fun, while enjoying the day on the water.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
Bob does it have AC/Heat in the cabin?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
very nice!
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Just noticed the rear steering. Cool

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
Bob does it have AC/Heat in the cabin?

No A/C but the windows open as does the front and rear door, does have a propane heater (wife's request). :beercheers:

Ken, the rear station steers both motors, as they are tied together, but only has controls for the kicker motor.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
Just remember you can always throw a blue dot 12 or 24v ac on top if you need to.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Just set another lawn chair up in the rear area and call it a day. We don't have the heat and humidity you have down there. I can steer from the rear with the 200 horse running, just can't control the RPM's so could just be slow motoring in a lawn chair if it gets too hot up front.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:55:09 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 02:06:37 AM »
Very nice Bob, reminds me of the Almar boats when I worked. Suspension seat and closed cabin, nice for nice weather  :cool:

Our boats held up very nice in the brackish water. Must of set you back about the price of a Duramax!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 12:05:44 AM »

JR, while I was still working, the sheriff crew would take a larger metal boat out on the water on nice days and then park it in the yard with out rinsing it or flushing the engines because they thought there just wasn't time to do it. Needless to say come each Spring, new brakes and trailer rebuild, outboards wrenched on and parts replaced and the boat always looked like crap. Always made me mad and really upset at the waste those few guys caused over and over.

We got our new boat on the water this afternoon, it really takes the ferry wakes nice and is very quite for a metal boat with outboards. Gets on plane really well with just two people in it, the tabs really lift it side to side so I need to work with them some. Only a few more hours and I will be able to really run the thing and see what it will do. Was even able to get off and back on the trailer with out much trouble even with a little wind. And Ken, I really like the rear station, glad I had them put that on. Will be really nice come fishing time.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
Sounds like you have a winner there Bob. Those decks come in nice for pit stops too, but the ladies need other equip.

Ours were I/Os (gas and diesel) and we left them in the slip, had 2 in diff locations as we have over 80 square miles of water. Even have a set of locks! Only thing that came in and out with use were 2 jetskis and a semi-rigid with an OB. We took very good care of our stuff and when out of the water we had the free labor detail it for us.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »
Dang Nate, that looks like something you'd find in SF!!

I was thinking more like this;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
Dang Nate, that looks like something you'd find in SF!!

I was thinking more like this;

Or a Hillary for President cap......

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
Don't they wear a big pink one too,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
Well I have a few hours on the motors now and they are running in good. Problem is, I am getting water both in the bilge area(think I found a fitting on the transom where the depth finder wire runs not sealed) and the engine pod(I don't think the inspection plate is sealed to the top which is an extruded aluminum plate) Both areas are above the water line but water splashes up there while running slow or backing into the chop. I called the dealer about both leaks, he ask how much water is getting in there? I said, don't have any idea, I pull the plugs and swish, a bunch of water comes out. A few years ago, the factory said to let the engine pod fill with water and then it would run out when on step. Had a duck bill fitting on the drain( Tate has a couple stories about how well those work) So I need to take it out again and try to catch the water when I remove the plugs. I added an O ring to the inspection hatch lid and will try to seal around the wire bracket before heading out again and see what happens. As for inspecting welds, There are many feet of welds and they all look good to me, but I am not a welder. The engine pod leak could be coming from the bolt holes for the engine mounting bolts but they look sealed from what I can see and the engine weighs more than I can handle safely at home.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
keep us posted Bob.  Interesting to say the least.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »
We lost 2 diesel marine engine with bad placement of the exhaust flappers. Looked good on paper, then the engines seized. It was just a "little water" when you powered down.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
Got some marine butyl caulk  ordered today to reseal the deck plate opening. Not sure it will work on the transducer wire for the depth finder where it goes through the transom, but will see when it gets here. You would think spending that much money on a boat it would have been checked out and all the problem areas taken care of. Some of the manufactures now put a bilge pump in the engine pod, but I would just as soon it wasn't leaking to start with. A few years ago they left an opening between the pod and the boats bilge area, after having at least one boat sink because of bilge pump not working they rethink  that idea and went with the duck bill drain and then the solid drain plug.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
Took up the deck plate and found nothing under it except the diamond plate top of the engine pod. Have to wonder why no sealer was applied. No wonder the water was filling the pod, that was like not having a plate on there and just an open hole for the water to flow into. I got some marine butyl tape under the deck plate, screwed the plate down,  and managed to crack the plastic ring at one screw hole. The butyl squeezed into the crack so I am thinking everything is ok for now. Don't know if it was the dealer or manufacture that installed the deck plate but no excuse for the poor workmanship. When I find a deck plate with an O ring seal I will replace the one on there but that is not being an easy task. Might have to drill new holes into the top of the engine pod to get one to fit, or find an O ring that will seal the existing lid without having a groove for it to seat. I will buy a hand pump so I can pump the pod out if the boat is moored for a couple weeks and is still leaking.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 05:01:53 AM »
Interesting Bob. Any pics?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
Pics, well in a word no. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind at the time. Besides being almost dark, raining, and the camera flash would have really reflected off the aluminum. I can get a photo of the deck lid to show where it is located if that helps. This whole thing would be like you finding a long scratch down the side of wife's new ride  "after" it gets home. Yes, built in USA but leaks when put it in water, and it is not just a small riveted skiff only used next to shorelines. Where the heck is the quality one would expect. Rant off.  :angry: :angry: :sad:

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
Pics, well in a word no. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind at the time. Besides being almost dark, raining, and the camera flash would have really reflected off the aluminum. I can get a photo of the deck lid to show where it is located if that helps. This whole thing would be like you finding a long scratch down the side of wife's new ride  "after" it gets home. Yes, built in USA but leaks when put it in water, and it is not just a small riveted skiff only used next to shorelines. Where the heck is the quality one would expect. Rant off.  :angry: :angry: :sad:

It was probably, "hire a dreamer" day at the plant, and the best and brightest from way south........was dreaming.....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
Bob, can you use a router with a small bit and groove the bottom side of deck lid for an oring? Btw, you can get oring cord bought by the foot & 45 degree the ends using superglue to make your own special length if needed.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
Or maybe they just forgot to do that. I mean things happen, see if they will at least comp you for the stuff you got.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »

Shawn, thanks for the thought on the router and O rings. Might be easier to drill and tap new holes for a watertight deck plate though.

JR I guess someone could have just forgot to seal the plate, but really that would be like redoing wheel bearings and forgetting to add grease. I don't know if that was a factory install or the dealer's rigger that cut the access hole and added the deck plate. Not worth my time trying to get anyone to admit to that screwup and covering the costs to fix it.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
Charles, a couple photos of the deck plate and engine pod. The cable holders along the front  of pod are glued not screwed in place.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:21:29 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
The engine mounting bolts through the engine pod. The lower bolts appear to be sealed. The top ones, I will need to check with flashlight inside pod at night.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:04:55 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
Then the water getting into the bilge, well there are a few holes in the back of the boat for starters. I tried to seal the transducer wire hole and broke a screw head off with the driver trying to squeeze the butyl tape around the cable.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
Hopefully tomorrow I can get back on the water and see if anything has turned for the better. Maybe the hand pump is the way I go to solve a problem that shouldn't happen.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2018, 08:03:05 AM »
How is everything going with this thing?  I hope you have got it to the point of enjoyment.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal