Hello Guest

Author Topic: how to make bacon  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
how to make bacon
« on: November 17, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
here is a detailed description that I copied and pasted from another site.  the highlighted section is the method that I use to make my bacon.

I have also attaced a word document copy of what is posted here for you to download and reference.

as this posting states TURN ALL OF YOUR WEIGHTS IN TO METERIC you must use precise control and weights when it comes to using curing salt #1 and #2.  if you use too much you can poison/kill yourself and if you use to little you can kill yourself with botulism.

farmer jon, please feel free to add to this, as i know you make a lot of bacon as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a write-up I did awhile back for Buckboard Bacon, but it's the exact same process/recipe for belly bacon, except you don't have to butterfly the meat open into two slabs, just weigh the belly and go.

For your first bacon, I'd recommend starting with buckboard bacon (just pork butt). It's a cheap way to break the ice and build confidence! The taste is identical, and you end up with a 3:1 meat to fat ratio instead of the inverse with belly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fatty belly bacon, but I find a lot of pleasure in the thrift of curing and sausage making, and buckboard yields much better at roughly 1/3 of the cost! Occasionally, you'll read a comment that buckboard tastes more hammy than bacony, but those folks 1) didn't smoke long enough, and usually tried smoking it as one big hunk; or 2) Warm smoked instead of cold smoking it which provides a much more robust smokey bacon flavor. Cold smoking is THE way to go for bacon in my not so humble opinion! Your smoking method and the following meat cutting step will take care of that.

Instead of curing a whole thick gnarly butt, I butterfly them open and cut in half while removing the bone.
This way you end up with 2 slabs that are roughly the thickness of regular belly bacon for more even curing and better smoke penetration. An average 10# butt will yield 2 pieces at appx 4.4# after bone loss and slight "squaring" cuts. Make sure to remove the gray stinky gland meat from the edge of the butt, most meat packers don't. Stinky butt gland, HA!!!

I HIGHLY recommend an equilibrium dry cure. It leaves nothing to chance (i.e. ALL too common oversalting woes) the way a wet cure does, plus saves a lot of frig space. It's impossible to oversalt or under cure this way, plus in my opinion it just tastes better than a wet cured bacon. You'll need a digital meat scale (preferably that goes over 5#) and a digital jewelers scale that will read in increments of a gram for measuring the cure in the necessarily exacting amounts. You can get both on amazon for about $12-$15 each. The jewelers scale I got goes down to 0.01 grams which is more ideal with the small amounts of cure #1 than a .1g increment scale. Speaking of cure, make sure to keep it out of reach of kids and pets. It looks inviting like kool-aid/sugar mix in a bag, but the cure is toxic when ingested in significant amounts straight from the bag.

Next, simply convert your meat weight to grams (1# = ~455g), then weigh out your salt (+/- 2.5% of your meat weight = meat grams x 0.025), your brown sugar (+/- 1% of your meat weight = meat grams x 0.01), and your cure (EXACTLY 1/4th of 1% of your meat weight = meat grams x 0.0025).

Example with your theoretical 4.4# slabs:
4.4# x 455g = 2002 grams meat weight (let's round to 2000g for easy math.

2000g x .025 = 50 grams salt (any brand plain kosher or plain non-iodized).
2000g x .01 = 20 grams brown sugar.
2000g x .0025 = 5 grams pink cure #1.

You'll weigh each of the two slabs and calculate/mix/cure separately, so it's an opportunity to play with adjusting your salt and sugar levels to find your preferred taste. Try and stay between 2%-3% salt (I prefer 2.5%), and .75%-1.25% brown sugar (I prefer 1.25%). DON'T mess with the cure level, it will give you exactly 156ppm nitrite per USDA FSIS guidelines. You can also play around with adding other spices in each batch, but honestly I find that not much of the additional flavors actually penetrate the meat at the curing stage. If I want pepper bacon, I'll usually lightly oil or maple syrup paint the slabs right towards the END of the smoke (an hour or so remaining) and pepper crust it then. Some folks will oil or syrup coat it and stick spices on before smoking, BUT in my opinion, this greatly inhibits smoke absorption into the actual meat. In my experience, when this is done the smoke all sticks to the oil/syrup/spices barrier on the outside, making the exterior bitter and the interior boring.

Anywhoo, mix the 3 dry cure ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and apply it evenly to all sides of your meat inside of a 2.5 gallon ziploc (available at Walmart). Be sure all of the cure gets on the meat and into the bag. If your meat has been previously frozen or for whatever other reason doesn't look like it's wet enough to release enough liquid to dissolve all of the dry ingredients during the curing stage, you can add a LITTLE water to help get things moving along. Just make sure you add the water weight into the meat weight in grams for the purpose of calculating your cure ingredients. 1/4 cup should be more than enough, so just add 59 grams (1c H20 = 236g, 1/4c = 59g) to your meat weight when calculating. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal it up, massage everything to spread it around equally, and place in frig for 7 days minimum, up to 10 days if your schedule is tight. I usually cure Friday night and remove from the cure the following Friday to prepare for a Saturday smoke. You'd go shorter or longer for thinner or super thick pieces, but 7-10 days is perfect for a 2"-3" thick piece of meat. An equilibrium cure can't over/under cure in this time period as it's exactly the correct amount of salt/sugar/cure that your meat can absorb based on meat weight and absorbency potential. Make SURE to gently massage the package and flip it over once a day to redistribute the fluids and cure for even curing. When it's cured, remove from the bag (the night before you'll smoke it), give a quick cold water rinse, thoroughly pat dry, and put it unwrapped on a wire rack in your frig overnight to dry the surface and form the shiny/tacky pellicle layer. This will help it absorb smoke evenly.

The next day, prep your smoker to run at very low temp (100-125 max at grate/meat level, if you can) with plenty of smoke wood chunks to provide clean, even, consistent smoke throughout a long "warm smoke". Make sure to keep your meat away from direct rising heat, so as to not cook it, you'll cook it later after you slice and pan-fry it. I've heard of some people taking their bacon to 150IT at the end of the smoke to make it edible without further cooking, but I've never tried that, it just doesn't appeal to me! I have a homemade version of a Cajun Bandit 22" kettle insert, but taller with 2 racks, that works perfect for bacon. I use an A-Maze-N Products AMNPS pellet maze resting on my sweeper fins all the way at the bottom of my kettle to generate the smoke, and a single row briquette snake method on the perimeter of the charcoal grate to generate JUST enough heat to achieve a low temp warm smoke and create a good draft. Then i hang my meat slabs from the top rack with a deflector on the bottom rack to shield the meat from rising and radiant heat. Plenty of folks successfully warm smoke bacon with just wood chunks over charcoal though, so whatever you do will work as long as you're providing consistent clean "thin blue" smoke and minimal heat to create draft. Good airflow is critical when cold/warm smoking, as a cooler smoker doesn't draft as well and can let the smoke stagnate and make your food bitter like an ashtray if you're not careful. The balancing act is having a little heat to create draft, but not so much that your food cooks before it takes on an ideal amount of smoke. Make sure to keep your smoker in the shade to help keep temps down this time of year. For bacon at cool/warm smoke temps, 8-12 hours is ideal. You'll also start to get a feel for how much smoke flavor the bacon will end up with based on the nice rich color on the meat during the middle/end of the smoking session. The nitrite in the cure will keep your meat safe for extended periods in this otherwise "danger zone". Another tip; I buy cheap bamboo skewers to put on my cooking grate to put meat on when cold smoking food that I can't hang. Just in case there's some bacteria lurking on my cooking grate and I won't be making it hot enough to kill the bacteria. Whatever you do, keep the temp down, so you don't start rendering the fat off during the smoke; that SUCKS!

When you're all done, let the meat rest at room temp to cool, then pat dry and seal it up tight in 2.5 gallon ziplocs (or vacuum sealer bags work great if you have a foodsaver) for 1-3 days in the frig to let the smoke and moisture equalize throughout the whole slabs. Then, just before slicing, pop the bags/slabs in your freezer for 30-60 minutes to firm up nice to make slicing easier. A meat slicer is ideal, but a sharp, long knife and a steady hand will do. Make sure to slice against/across the grain of the meat or it'll be chewy. Also, since shoulder is a much more worked part of the animal, buckboard bacon tends to have a LITTLE more toothiness to it. Not much, but enough that you don't want to slice it like a thick cut belly bacon, or the thick slices will be more of a chew than most people associate with bacon. Thin slicing will alleviate/eliminate that issue.

If you vacseal your portions, they'll keep good for +/- 6 months in the freezer. Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe a month or two in tight freezer wrap, but am not sure as I vacseal.

You'll notice some sections of Buckboard will be much fattier than others. The fatty sections will fry like normal bacon, the leaner sections will need 2-4 Tbsp of a light oil in the skillet to help get the frying action started. Again, the recipe and technique in this would be identical with regular belly bacon. Have fun!

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: how to make bacon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
I was running low on bacon, so I started 10lbs yesterday.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
here is the bacon after 10 days in cure, rinsed and about to go into the smoker.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
and here is the bacon sliced and packaged.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
I agree 100%

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
Got me a slab done finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
Looks good, how do you like the taste?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
I don’t think I’ll buy bacon again.

I’m ruined.

I used the recipe you posted on the other thread. Thought this was it but oh well.
HH6 doesn’t like bacon, and went back twice for more after supper tonight.
BLTs naturally.

I may have used a bit too much oak.
Did a mix of hickory and oak.
We do like heavy smoke so we love the taste.

Mama hates how salty and whatever else is wrong with store-bought.
Is there really that much crap in it...yes I know is the answer.

I can’t believe I waited so long to do this.
Now I don’t know what to do with the bought bacon in the freezers...

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:37 PM »

I’m ruined.

I used the recipe you posted on the other thread. Thought this was it but oh well.
BLTs naturally.

My northern brother.....you are not alone in that thinking....lol

With me now having a job and us buying a house, i dont have 3/4 of the time i used to have to do things like that anymore...  :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have found full cured bellies at the local restaurant supply depo (that are less sodium than the store bought/sliced stuff) and have gotten a few of those and used my house warming gift that my wonderful lady got me to slice it up (imagine 5 x 10lb bellies that are thick sliced and vac sealed in the freezer..lol)

As far as the store bought stuff?  I still buy it to use cubed or if i am making something that i take over to friends houses.  As much as i like the 2-3 friends i do have, i dont love them enough to share my sweat earned home grown/made bacon.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »

I’m ruined.

BLTs naturally.

catfish and dog shark bait.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 12:22:55 AM »
Grind it and mix with burger. Excellent change of taste.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »
That’s a really great idea here.
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »
I have not bought bacon since I started curing my own a couple years ago. I finally tweaked my recipe to where everyone really likes it. I have a friend from the east coast that hooked us up with real maple syrup.  I have been putting that in my cure.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
For a 5 lb slab I use 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of Morton tender quick. Crush several cloves or garlic and pour on the maple syrup. I dont have exact measurements of that. I suppose  a coup or so.
I cut my slabs in to 5 lb chunks because it's just easier for me handle.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal