Hello Guest

Author Topic: How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install Chevy Duramax truck  (Read 56575 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install Chevy Duramax truck
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install

ok since this has not been done before or if it has it has been hidden in the millions of threads on this forum, I went ahead and decided to take some pics of how to remove, clean and install the radiator stack. this should pertain to all OBS trucks since I have an LBZ and it is generally the same for the LLY and LB7.

Symptoms:
1. truck is running a little hot.
2. transmission is running a little hot.
3. A/C is not quite as cold as it was before. (should be done before this How To: Clean Evap Coil )
4. truck is operated in dirty/dusty generally nasty conditions.
5. you have changed out the thermostats and have done a complete DEX-cool flush but engine is still running kind of hot.

now this is not a cure all for some of these conditions, because maybe you need to change fluids, maybe something else is going on to cause the issues, etc. this is a how to for removal and reinstall of the coolant stack whether just cleaning them like I did or having to replace them for what ever reason. it is a good service to add to your yearly maintenance routine as well.

so lets start with what you will need to accomplish this project.

before you begin:

1. you need to get you some engine cleaner/degreaser

2. get a good pressure washer. one that will easily remove the garbage that has collected on your coolant stack but not so powerful. you have to remember that you will be spraying it on the fins of the radiators and around electronic equipment.

3. make sure that you have you plenty of good hydration beverage, like me I had me some Gatorade and water because I was out in the TX. sun during the middle of the day.

4. below is a list of tools that you will need to accomplish this mission
5. if I have forgotten something them by all means make sure that you acquire it before you start this project.
6. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 4 HOURS FOR THIS, 1.5 FOR REMOVAL AND 1.5 FOR REASSEMBLE, AND 1 HOUR AS A BUFFER/BOO BOO LIP COOL DOWN TIME

list of tools needed:

1. body clip removal tool
2. long needle nose pliars and a magnetic retrieving tool (to retrieve something if you drop it)
3. socket wrench with a couple extensions and a swivel joint. (I used 1/4" drive because none of the bolts were that big or tight that constituted anything above 3/8" drive.)
4. sockets in these sizes 10mm, 7/16", 1/2"
5. a T25 TORX head (bit/screw driver/wrench whatever you choose) there are only 4 bolts/screws that you will have to remove with this.
6. you can add a good flat tip screw driver and channel locks to the list.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:42:21 PM by Flyin6 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
ok, now that we have all of the gathering, acquiring, preparing issues covered lets start.

1. ensure that your vehicle has been sitting over night so that you will not burn yourself with hot fluids and metals.
2. open the hood and remove the plastic covering the hood release
3. remove the air cleaner, air cleaner box and the intake tubing
4. remove the grill guard by lightly pulling or pushing the clips free.
5. remove the pins that hold the head light assemblies in place
6. while leaving the light bulbs in the assemblies, remove the plugs from the bulbs.
7. for the lower day time running and clearance lights, there is a small plastic catch on the back of the assemblies towards the outside of each one. push that together and the assemblies will come out.
8. gently push in the catch on the back of the bulb and give it a 1/4 turn.
9. the light should pop out of the socket.

this is the same for both sides.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
once you have both light assemblies removed from both sides, the grill, and the plastic piece covering the hood release, your vehicle should look like this.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:07:43 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
in these next 2 pictures you will notice all of the arrows. the yellow arrows are the 4 bolts that you need to use the T25 TORX to remove them. all 6 or 12 of the blue arrows you need the 10mm along with the swivel adapter to remove them.

make sure that you pay close attention to the BIG RED arrow. that is an impact sensor and it is part of your airbag system, make sure you pay attention when you disconnect it so as not to destroy it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
once you have all of those 16 of those bolts and the 1 sensor removed, gently pull those mounts out and lay them aside.

1. behind those mounts that you just removed there are 3 bolts per side that are (hidden) assist in holding the top cross member in place,

2. there are 2 bolts that are on the back side of the top cross member,

3. 2 bolts on the bottom of the hood catch/release support (per side),

4. 2 blots the hold the trans cooler in place to the catch/ release support, and the 2 bolts that hold the A/C cooler to the top cross member.

5. the last bolt is just above the battery on the drivers side holding the little bar to the cross member.

here are 5 pics showing all of the bolt locations.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
in this next picture you will see several things.

1. the top cross member will be removed
2. the hood catch/release will be removed
3. there will be 4 arrows showing the locations of the 4 bolts that hold the intercooler and the radiator together. once you remove those 4 bolts you will have 2 more things to remove and you will be ready to separate the stack.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
the next 2 steps involve removing the boots that hook to the intercooler on each side. once those are removed you can then separate the stack. I apologize for the lack of pictures here, I was having a boo boo lip moment and had to take a beverage break and a breather. if I have to do this again for some reason I will get some pics and edit this.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »
in these next pics you will see the stack spread apart and just how ineffective a garden hose is at getting all of the garbage out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
from here, your pile of parts should look something like this

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
at this point, you are ready to start with the cleaning of the coolers. spray liberal amounts of the cleaner/degreaser and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

while you are waiting the 10-15 min you should be getting your pressure washer ready as well as covering your electronics or at least identifying them so that they don't get sprayed.

once your pressure washer is ready and you have identified your important electronics, you are cleared for pressure cleaning of the coolers.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE FINS ON THE COOLERS

once all parts have been washed, let sit for 10-15 minutes to reduce the water you will be working in.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »
now, I did not go into complete detail on how to remove the actual coolant radiator because I did not need to go that far. a quick rundown would be to remove all hoses, drain coolant, remove all of the additional lines connected to it and you will be able to lift it out.

as you can see from the previous pics, i spread the A/C cooler away from the stack carefully and just far enough to be able to shimmy the intercooler out from the middle. be careful because you have a very good chance at this point to damage the fins on the intercooler or the coolant radiator.

I did not do pictures of the assembly and am not going to re-write the steps because they are the complete reverse order as removal.

once you have everything back together, start the truck to make sure you didn't mess anything up and that it runs.

SIDE NOTE:
i did not show pics of the fan shroud removal because i truly forgot to take pics of the 4 push clips that hold it together and the 2 bolts on top (1 on each side)

please feel free to give suggestions on how i could improve this to better assist folks in the future. also your questions are more than welcome.

respectfully
nate

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »
here is a link to the original HOW-TO I did on this so that way you can see what other had to say.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/236810-how-radiator-stack-removal-install.html

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install Chevy Duramax truck
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
Good DIY write-up!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
I'm going to have to do this soon... Noticed things were getting a little toastier than expected when dragging our trailer to our 4th of July camping spot yesterday... Hitting 225-230 at half throttle pulling a hill (6000lb trailer)... Granted it was 90+* but it shouldn't have crossed 200 with the grade and throttle I was pulling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
If you have help you can pull the rad and inter cooler and not disturb the ac coil.
This way is waaaay better if you are solo. I think Nate and I did this the same weekend.
Wished I'd have saw this first. The rad and intercooler are not fun alone.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to it

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
It's not really that bad.
If you have aftermarket trans lines be careful undoing them.
Ask me how I know. The cooler is like eggs.
Available, not that expensive, but when it breaks you're dead in the water...

Don't let that scare you, just need to use care if they aren't oem. The OEM ones are just a spring clip and they pop right out.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
All stock, so should be good to go there. Thanks for the heads up!

NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
Thanks for all the great info Nate. Auxiliary tans cooler, intercooler were relatively clean, spare a few bugs, but between the intercooler and the radiator was what I can only describe as a cross between what you find under the fridge and in your vacuum filter. The dust was so fine and packed in there it took a while for the water to punch through.  Two cans of engine cleaner and about 5 hours later the fan comes on when it should,  the ac stays cold at idle and the thermostat owns up right when it should.  I'll have a new towing pass report after next weekend. 
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
This seems like a common problem to the LB7/LBZ/LLY family

Now I'm wondering if it also affects the LML?????

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
I can tell you I would never had suspected it until I overheated.  Looked clean as a whistle until I got elbows deep.  Possibly the fan shroud design creates a bit of a vortex that keeps the dirt swirling around?

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I'm not sure what causes it, but I could have re-feathered a flock of birds, built them a nest, and wondered who dumped the vacuum out.
I don't know if there is a difference to the LMM,LML family, but would suspect they may hold onto all kinds of stuff as well.
Had I not had the heating issues, I would not have even guessed how much junk would be there.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
This seems like a common problem to the LB7/LBZ/LLY family

Now I'm wondering if it also affects the LML?????
It's common to all vehicles. Dirt passes through the condenser and wedges into the radiator's tighter fins. Add a drive through some rain or a carwash, and the debris becomes an old Indian ruin (Adobe)
Diesels are worse because there's an extra cooler and because the radiators tend to be thicker, trapping more dirt.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 01:32:34 AM »
As a note to you guys who have not upgraded your tranny lines, DON"T buy aftermarket lines!!!!!! I got the 1/2 inch line kit form alligator. Kit looks great, goes in as it should, but I notice something when almost done putting them on. The ID of the fitting is just 3/8s inch and you have 4 lines so that is lots of restriction to less size than the stock lines. Sure the stock lines fail, most just dribble.

What leaks are the short flex lines that are crimped as the lines transision from the engine to the radiator/coolers. You can get a kit or make up your own with crimp on AN fittings.

I wish I had done that and may still go back and do the stock lines that way. I say this because of the flow and the absolute PAIN the aftermarket lines are to put on.

I have also done the tranny cooler flip and find no difference.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
50-65 over Stevens pass with the ac on towing the trailer and never got above 200. Thanks nate!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »
I need to do this bad. Hit 237 when my fan kicked on at the top of Swauk Blewitt. Granted it was 100* and was pulling the boat at 60 mph.

NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »
get after it. right before I crested past the chair lifts headed east, I was doing 65, passing a motorhome with the AC rockin' and not a care in the world at just sub 210 by the needle's view. two weeks before that I was sitting next to a water fall across from the old cascade train tunnel cooling down after I hit 250+ and overheat alarms started chiming. clearly the cause and solution of that problem was the filth crammed into that radiator. Glad I didn't just replace thermostats and cross my fingers.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 09:04:27 AM »
. Glad I didn't just replace thermostats and cross my fingers.

Yep!

That might have cost you a head gasket or worse!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Definitely get on this. It's not that hard to do and doesn't take very long in comparison to a HG job.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
I know this is old but was having a few of the symptoms Nate described on the LB7 I just bought. I just finished pressure washing the radiator and intercooler the first time and they’re soaking again. I am amazed at how much crud came out. Since the antifreeze is of an unknown age is there anything wrong with me running distilled water in it for a few days, to make sure it circulates through the entire system, then draining and filling with the proper mixture?

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
I wouldn't see anything wrong with it unless you are in a extreme heat condition or working the truck hard.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
It will be perfectly fine Longball.
.. unless it's going to be below 32* where you are.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »
Thanks gentleman. Heat index was triple digits today so I don’t think there’s much chance of a freeze.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal