Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 3-Titan Fuel Tank & SAS]  (Read 93914 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 3-Titan Fuel Tank & SAS]
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
Yesterday my D-max let me down for the first time

I started it and after maybe warming for 5 minutes it shutoff all by itself.

Hmmm. so I started it again and it ran for maybe 2 minutes, then died

It did that several times so I abandoned further attempts.

It was around -9F outside so I suspected gelling fuel

I grabbed my trusty spare Quoffee pot and drained the water separator part of the filter into it.

Just look at what came out:

That was Kroger stuff that I am paying less than $3.00 a gallon for with my discount, so I run a lot of it.

I tried an little experiment

I brought it into the house which was 71F and set it on the counter

Then 30 minutes later:

Quite a difference between the stuff below zero and near room temp

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr0148 View Post
4.56 and 38's are what I'm running and i have no complaints!

Hmmm...
Everyone has me thinkin'

Here's the truck as it sits today

And a close-up of the front and rear tires.
That locker is chewing up the rear tires a bit, which I'll gladly accept given the excellent drivability I have gotten with it over the G80 Eaton break-ah-locker

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414
If rust is on combat max, I would ahte to see what has happened to tac gator.

so since big red has not been talked about in a while, whats the status of her? (Sold or?)

Big Red might be coming back

Duane introduced me to Dan, to be known here with, as "Dan the Man"

He and another gentleman can actually machine the shaft that broke that Case no longer supports!
Yea...

And the problem with the fuel in the oil.

Leaking injection pump???

Dan the Man's brother is a diesel mechanic

I'm smellin a rebuilt refurbished Big red, which will become Big Green when I OD it out...I can almost smell the diesel smoke from here!

And

Last night

I had a dream of me cruising the farm in the bottom of a big hole sittin on big Red...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB
Any word on the brake situation you and the guy were trying to figure out? Anything new?

No, Beau seems to have gone dark...

Maybe the commies or hippies (Same thing) got him!

I think I'm gonna have to cipher that out all by my lonesome

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlaser 
Maybe I can help with custom brackets etc, I have a little experience there in that dept.....

You sure do!

To recap, I was looking at several directions. One using all the stock stuff, bolt pattern and so forth with factory 2011+ large calipers.
Next we were looking at using the big Late Dodge rotor which has the 6.5" bolt circle and the Chevy rotor just so the master cylinder still works OK.

Next up was downsizing to the 2010 and earlier Chevy HD setup, caliper and all, and swapping out stuff in the rear to fit the new bolt circle.

Beau was in the middle of trying out a bunch of parts when his company got a huge order from that electric car company. He was distracted from my project to say the very least.

Right now, it isn't a factor because of Square D, but as that project matures and is finished, then the attention will once more shift back onto the SAS D-Max .

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Folks, the more I play with this truck, the more I think it is one huge mistake and problem dealing with all this unnecessary garbage.

I am so fed up with all this wiring and electronic do-dads, that I may very well be the first to convert a late model 2500 to 12 valve Cummins power.

No electronic programs to write. No overpriced fuel pumps. Room enough to actually see something, and the ability to work on it without it taking a week and requiring post graduate engineering PHD's.

I am sick with this electronic stuff...Did I mention that already???

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
Let's talk about the future of this truck

To say the very least, the building of Square D, the 12 valve Dodge 1991 truck has been an eye opener.

I can say unequivocally, that building this LML truck as a survival vehicle is a flawed concept from it's inception.

You see, it's just too complicated to last in a survival setting where there is no access to a parts store and troubleshooting, and tons of support.

It is just too complicated. It is too expensive, and it will not survive an EMP event intact. It would be useless.

Used in the modern world where one doesn't mind waiting for someone's permission to tune or until someone writes a "Tune" or provides extra fuel or figures out how to fit some brakes to make some practical wheels to fit.

Bottom line: Not another cent is flowing into this truck until I decide whether I install a 12 valve Cummins into it, which is choice #1 or just sell it.

The latter would provide a vacancy which I would fill with a much older non computer controlled square fender Cummins powered Chevy or a Crew Cab Dodge circa 1991-1997 that has no rust.

I'm just going to be happy without some widget calculating how fast I am travelling. Nope, I think I prefer a worm gear and a steel cable noisly spinning a set of nylon gears that attach to a orange needle which points to 70mph.

I don't want some complex software computer logarithm determining how much fuel to dump in the cylinder at this exact millisecond. Nossir, I think I'll be happy with a purely mechanical Bosh pump and a mechanical injector which knows not whether it is pumping or spraying diesel #2 or chicken grease into my marine grade engine. I don't want some pressure switch failing and putting me into a limp mode...Fact is I don't ever want to know about no stinkin' limp mode. If it fails, well, wait a moment, it won't be there anymore so how could it possibly fail????
Exactly...
And when I look for a turbo, by golly I want to see it. I don't want to have someone point and say "I believe it's down in there somewhere." When that turbo fails, I want to trip in the dark and fall on it. I want to be able to pull it off in three hours, not three days. I don't ever want to have to delete anything, because, lookey there, it isn't anywhere to be found!
No catylitic converters converting anything. No pre heaters for an EGR that really doesn't do anything purposeful. No strange caustic cancer causing fluid being injected on or in anything, just dump oil dino inspired fuel finding it's way down some equally dump steel line into something with a couple of moving parts and spraying into a horribly inefficient combustion chamber, that, oh, by the way, is producing about 22 MPG and causing a fire that only ends when it runs out of the wet stuff.

How in the name of anything that makes any sense at all have we been duped into thinking tunes or star mags and 20" tires mean anything except that we are all really, really stupid? We gave up $20K vehicles that ran on anything so that we could purchase 60K cadilliacs that can scratch your butt, but go into some failure mode half way across a stream on your first outdoor trek! Why did we give up 20+ MPG for computer controlled engines that don't pollute anything and through the magic of their wizardry produce tons of power and 15MPG. So I pay 3 times more than I need to so that I can get 25%-30% less mileage just so that some geek driving a prius that likes other boys can feel he is helping save the planet?

Well, forgive me Mr. brain dead, self induced comma, I'm getting off this bus...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »
As I became more and more serious (Focused) on what this build was going to be about, the EMP think became the white elephant in the room. Not so small either was the problem with all this electronic overlay. HEck if any of a hundred different and unknown parts failed, I'd have stacked all my eggs in the single basket and proven only to have been a very busy fool.

Now that I think I have encapsulated what a pseudo combat vehicle needs to be, these newer trucks are not useable. Well, not with the existing powertrain. Now, install an early mechanical fuel injection diesel with a non electronic transmission, either a manual or an old school automatic, and then this truck is in there. Just needs some additional hardening...

So I have to look at the cost of converting it vs selling it to recoup the $$$ and simply hunt down the right early truck to convert.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxdarren 
Ok ok ok. Now before you go a sellin combat max or doing something crazy like . Let me ask you something. Can we shield against an EMP? What would it take to shield against it? Can you feasibly install it?

A thing called a faraday cage routes electrical current around things. EMP is essentially just a big wave of electricity that crashes through things and overloads circuits, destroying them physically.

Military wiring harnesses reside inside a sheath of braided wire which all runs to a ground. It works to a point. But if hit by a big enough pulse, that won't work either.

Something like an old school galvanized steel trash can is a faraday cage. put your radio in there and it would survive intact following an EMP event. I have seen one guy with a length of chain welded to his axle tube, and allowed to drag on the ground. He felt this effectively grounded him and would allow the voltage to flow through the vehicle onto the ground. Thing is when a sewer pipe full of hot rushing liquid meets a fine filter like the electrons of EMP finding a micro circuit, chances are the blockage will get blown out.

No real way of absolutely insuring fine electronics will survive an event, so to absolutely guarantee you have stuff that works, don't use electronics that are essential to it's operation.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »
BTW, I test drove a 2012 Ram 3500 dually this weekend.

It has a solid front axle so I got a taste of what that would ride like.

I have to say the Chevy has it all over the Dodge. I do like the Cummins engine better, but the ride is all Chevy.

Plus after a few hours of highway, country, and city driving, the mileage on the truck's computer only said 13.4

That's terrible!

Cuddos to the Chevy Duramax guys for getting that engine sorted out

Granted I'm deleted and tuned, but the mileage on my computer said 17.3 when I pulled into the dealership!

That makes the Chevy's mileage 23% better!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »
Upgrading to second gen Rare Parts Tie rods today

The first set of 1st generation ones are all worn out!

I believe it is a lubrication issue. I pressure washed the truck a lot during the salty winter and that pressure washing blew away the grease me thinks...The sockets were dust filled!!!!!!!

New ones are here, headed over to the shop...

Look at the difference between the stockers, 1st gen and base ball bats about to be installed:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09
I know we're way too far into this for you to care, but just for future threads, make sure you reference the POST #, not the page #.

I've got my posts per page maxed out, which only yields a total of 211 pages and renders your index totally useless. Post # never changes though, which would be much more helpful.

Well before the great candy bar fire of 2014 cast its ugly spell upon me, I was hard at work on coming out with my own site. I/we are going to pull these threads/posts and feature them on a pay part of that site. I'd update periodically here, but host over there

there you will have more of these build threads including Duane's transformation from a Blackhawk pilot into a respectful man
oops, started day dreamin' there! But his build of that 76 power wagon into the best in the world will show up there.

I will be building other vehicles as well, and even get some of you knuckleheads to stop by and pull weeds all weekend in exchange for a rooe rack or something.

So the growth will not be happening here, although I will share here as well as at expo forums and perhaps some other places as well.

CM...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2014, 10:41:31 PM »
A bit of DOT activity before I hand the reins back over to Don:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudakidd53 
ALRIGHT! That's more like Don! Bobby, I'm thinking if we showed up on his doorstep right now, we could prop him up in a Lazy-boy with a custom built workbench (old door over saw horses with a protective cardboard top) and serve as his human "grabber" (thing used to pick stuff up without bending) and if we could get Duane there as technical overseer, make some progress!

Keep healing Don- in all seriousness, glad to see more cognizant verbiage flowing from the keyboard 

If Duane came over all work would stop. Atmospheric conditions would not favor the particular molecular makeup of my sockets or something insignificant like that.
Duane is so particular and has standards so high that work is seldom or ever produced. The forethought that went into the project, however would have maxed out the Pentagon's Cray computers.
One day he was checking his own work, I heard it said...
He was checking to ensure the break away torque of the bolts he had just torqued was perfect. He allows the lockdown torque plus or minus seven millionths of an ounce.
As the story goes, one offending bolt in a hyper-critically stressed part did not break within the gracious .000000000007 of an ounce. That part, the vinyl steering shaft cover if memory serves me correctly, was improperly secured!
Blasphemy!
Out came the holy oil, incense, and much gnashing of teeth!
Afterwards he took the appropriate corrective action which started, of course with discarding of the bolt, the vinyl trim, the steering column, and indeed the entire vehicle! Next I believe he set fire to the garage, spread the ashes, salted the ground, and sold the property!
I stopped him on the way to the church where he was going to enter the priesthood and run out his days in silent meditation of his immense failure.
We barely saved him from that one, and I can only hope we never see anything like that happen again!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
                                                                                   (8462)
Got some new projects in queue for Combat max.

I want to add on a roof rack now, then really beef up the front end so the truck can punch through heavy stuff unscathed.
I'm thinking it needs two 3/8" thick steel uprights and then some tubular cross bracing that wraps back around the headlights.
Then add in some steel cables from the corners near the headlights up to the roof rack and those should direct debris and branches away from damaging the windshield.

I thought about integrating a hi-lift jack, shovel and axe into the front structure, as in bury it in the steel so that it is protected if the truck punches through a wall, but also provides secondary protection from branches, boards and debris from getting to the radiator, intercooler, and other coolers.

Right now, I am no longer settled with adding the Dana 60 to the front. The existing front suspension is robust and frankly, working well. No decision here, but when Square D gets up on it's feet and I can evaluate a Dana 60 front on longer springs, I'll have a good comparison.

I still definitely see a mechanical fuel injection 12 valve Cummins under the hood somewhere down track...without that swap, the truck will not be useable following an EMP event. So until I figure out how to harden all these delicate electronics, I'll inevitably go down that road.

The truck does not have many miles still, only mid 40's (K), but is running very well. The only problem it has had is blowing the hot end IC pipe off the turbo outlet many times now, at pressures above mid 20's. Admittedly, that is a problem and the only remedy I ever came up with that works has been to liberally clean both boot and pipe and turbo with brake cleaner, then spray adhesive into the silicone coupling, then clamp it all back in place.

So far, that has been good, but I have definitely kept my foot out of it, even when towing.

All this new stuff will show up in detail on the new web site and appear here in a one or two pic readers digest version.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
Posted by Cudakidd53:
subject: R.I.P. DOT legacy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 
You're welcome, glad I could help

I'll be leaving this build thread here, but I condensed it over on my web site...well its actually still in progress, but we took out most of the non related stuff.

REAL MAN TRUCKWORKS & SURVIVAL - Index

Ouch.....all that whitty banter left on the editing room floor!

....by Ken:
.....A whole bunch was left on the floor....like....most of it!!!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »
Posted by KensAuto:
My work here is done for now. From this point forward, whoever's avatar is next to a post, that post belongs to that person. I will no longer be the voice of fellow DOTs, nor our Elderly....errr....I mean knowledgeable leader, BIG D.

This message contains confidential information and is intended for [Recipient]. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version
information is strictly prohibited.

* Employees of [Company] are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorize any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such communication is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising. Employees who receive such an email must notify their supervisor immediately.
Complete disclaimers

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher,
I hereby grant the Department of Labor permission to use my likeness in a photograph in any and
all of its publications, including website entries, without payment or any other consideration.
I understand and agree that these materials will become the property of the Department of Labor
and will not be returned.
I hereby irrevocably authorize the Department of Labor to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish or
distribute this photo for purposes of publicizing the Department of Labor’s programs or for any
other lawful purpose. In addition, I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product,
including written or electronic copy, wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, I waive any right
to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of the photograph.
I hereby hold harmless and release and forever discharge the Department of Labor from all claims,
demands, and causes of action which I, my heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any
other persons acting on my behalf or on behalf of my estate have or may have by reason of this
authorization.
I am 21 years of age and am competent to contract in my own name. I have read this release
before signing below and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.
_____________________________________________ ________________________
Signed, Ken

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Wow!

Great job Ken!

Ladies and gents, Ken has finally and successfully transferred thousands of posts from the web site where they were first penned to their final resting place, here at Real Man. He is finished the historical phase of C-Max, or Combat-Max the present name for the big Chevy. From now on it's up to me to push that truck in the direction I want it to go. The emphasis is obviously on Square D as we endeavor to get the axle back under the front end and get that power plant reinstalled.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
Posted by Cudakidd53:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I'll be leaving this build thread here, but I condensed it over on my web site...well its actually still in progress, but we took out most of the non related stuff.

....by Ken:

Well, now that Ken has tirelessly moved it all over here, I believe the DOT legacy can resume...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Posted by Cudakidd53:

Quote:

....by Ken:

Well, now that Ken has tirelessly moved it all over here, I believe the DOT legacy can resume...
You joining that crowd?

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »
Sammcon.....ssssh.......stay dark on this, we must reserve the element of surprise!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
 8)
Mike sees my roll...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
OK, so at this point, the historical part of this build is complete with part 3

The continued build/life of the C-Max project will be continued in part 3. So with the addition of a couple DOT comments, I'll sticky this Part 3 and in the near future open up Part 4.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:52:01 PM by Flyin6 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal