VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

GLO Shop Trailer Build

(1/18) > >>

stlaser:
Pulled trigger on building a car hauler trailer for the shop today.

Had been acquiring “things” when a good deal come around for some time now. Picked up a set of 7200# axles from Farmer Jon last summer which Nate so kindly delivered. Purchased over a ton of 3x3 1/4 angle out of the back of a Kohl’s Dept store they moved for $200 and today I picked up a set of Chevy truck rims and crappy tires for $100 to fit those axles. Tires will get updated in the future as will the wheel bearings, seals and brakes on the axles prior to use.

I then ordered new 3 20’ lengths of c6 and a single length of c3 channel for the frame along with some trailer parts to hang axles.

Shooting for 22-24’ deck with dovetail and removable ramps and pintle hitch. Probably use some tube in shop and bend up drive over fenders. Should see rest of the steel by end of week. In meantime going to start fabricating the 3x3 x1/4 angle into a heavy C shape for the upper frame structure, the c6 will be lower frame and tongue. The single piece of c3 will most likely be ramp material.

stlaser:
So my next question is overall width.

102” is max but have no reason to go that wide really. Measured the axles and back space of wheels. So outside of wheels looks to be right around 94”

As a point of reference I measured the built jku w/ 1 ton front and fairly wide tires. Overall it measures 90” roughly. So I’m thinking 94” outside overall width would be spot on.

Change my mind, I’m not hauling tractors and equipment, just cars, trucks and projects plus lengths of steel on occasion.

Bigdave_185:
I wouldn’t go any wider then required but.... I hate not being able to walk around the deck when loaded.   So I’d argue five inches.  It fits My standard needs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:
Copy Dave, for strapping down vehicles walking on trailer really doesn’t help you any. Most of mine would be lifted anyhow so working from ground is ok for gaining access to strap points. Thinking the first 6’ of deck will be covered in flooring all the way across and from there back will be roughly 30” wide either side leaving center mostly open. I prefer it this way if repairs are needed on the towed vehicle away from home. You just pull it up on trailer and can crouch underneath if needed trailer deck then acts as work bench of sorts.

Trailer will need a winch, I believe Norm purchased a 12k badlands hf unit a year or so ago for his. Guess I’ll hit him up on his experience but what does everyone else think?

TexasRedNeck:
Easier to get a truck on a trailer too wide than get a truck on a trailer too narrow...go maximum.  Unless you are worried you aren’t able to tow such a rig.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version