Hello Guest

Author Topic: Footwear  (Read 13498 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Footwear
« on: October 27, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
Here is the footwear thread. Everyone has their own taste and experience is footwear. So let's share here and who knows, your info might help someone find and use some new footwear.

Manufacturer:
Model # or Name:
Price:
Specs:
How you use it:
Pros:
Cons:
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Footwear
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
Well, OK
I have some favorites
First of all if you're just knockin around the Armee Bellville's aren't all that skimpy. I retasked mine for bike riding

My favorite for all around wear, but admittedly, I mostly used them flying and over in the Stan were the Oakley boots. Love them, absolutely love them.

The 5.11 boots were almost like running shoes with a 10" top and a lot of padding. For any kind of survival boot, I really like the tall top and not the hiking height boot. I figure a twisted or broken ankle will kill you a bit slower than a bullet, but the end result is the same.

There are some specialty boots also such as the Adidas GS-G9. They had soles of many columns of squeak-free rubber. As can't make them squeak. Obviously made for sneakin' up on things like folks, they featured a soft leather 8" or 10" upper. I wore a set of black ones for a time back in "those" days.

Then the Magnum series of boots were a poor man's version of the GS-G9's which may not be for public consumption, dunno. Our law enforcement community seems to have gone for the magnums in force for a couple decades now.

Cold and wet?? One boot I always had was a good set of Danners. I'd coat them all up with snow seal and heat them in an oven @ 150 degrees for 30-45 min to cook it in, then follow with another coating after my first deployment. Featuring vibram soles which were easily replaceable, I'd have my ole' shoe smith glue and screw on a new set when I was down to 50% anywhere on the boot
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
I am not sure where to start with this, so lets see how this turns out.  bobby, I apologies, hopefully this is not hijacking your thread?

being in the military for almost 20 years (way less than don) and having to spend more time on the ground then on or in vehicles, I have learned a few things about footwear.  Now this is not to say that I am an expert in the matter, but more of voicing my observations.  Bobby and HC were total ground pounders and will most likely have info they can share in this matter.  here is a list of things that you need to think about when selecting footwear for whatever.

- are you going to be in a dry place, wet place or a combo of both
- what season are you using these in
- what is the terrain like (rocky, sandy, forest, etc)
- what is the condition that your feet (dogs) are in
- what are your ankles like
- do your feet sweat a lot

these are just a few major questions that you need to have an answer for when selecting your footwear, so lets take a look at just how important these questions are and why they matter.

moisture level of your environment:

this is very important, because if there is even a chance that you will be in a wet or combo environment you need to have foot gear that has some sort of drain holes.  drain holes are important because they will allow the excess moisture and water drain from the boot while you are still walking/wearing them.  Moisture in foot gear is a VERY BAD THING and can lead to major foot problems and make you combat ineffective. 

For dry areas you want a boot that has superior breathability, this will help dissipate the heat and moisture build up of your feet and foot gear while they are in use.

You also need to think about what kind of water repellant/proofer you are applying to your footgear as well.  Repellants will still allow the footgear to breath, where as proofing will not allow the footgear to breath and can cause moisture issues if your not careful. 

Season of use:

This is a big deal, because if you are using the wrong foot gear in the wrong season then you are doing nothing but creating major problems for yourself.  Example, don’t wear winter boots in the summer because your feet will sweat profusely and can cause trench foot, blisters, etc.  this goes just the same for wearing summer foot gear in winter conditions.  Instead of sweat, you will not have to deal with cold weather injuries to your feet.  so make sure you have the correct foot gear for the right season.

Terrain:

Terrain is important to know, because of the makeup and compounds of what the sole’s are made of.  Example: if you are going to be in rocky and or mountainous terrain then you are going to want a harder type sole as opposed to a softer sole.  The rocks will literally tear away soft type soles.  If you are going to be in softer terrain then you will want a bit of a softer sole.

You also need to think about the cleaning ability of the sole’s that are on your foot gear.  For example if you are going to be in softer type terrain and have a possibility of encountering mud then you are going to want a sole that will clean itself as you are walking instead of having a sole that will hold on to all that mud (same thing as the tires of your vehicle being able to clear and clear themselves as they are turning). 

Conditions of your feet and your ankles:

The condition of your feet must be taken seriously, because if you fail to take care of them then (lets be real) they will stop you in your tracks and you will be done for.  If you have falling arches then you need to look for footgear that have high arch supports or a good insert with arch support.  If you have athletes foot then you need to have some sort of powder, cream, spray, etc to not only cure it but to also prevent its return.  If you have nasty fungus ridden toe nails, you need to get you a good anti fungal pill (creams will not work on this).  Fungus ridden toe nails and boots that are way too small or tight will cause ingrown toe nails, so pay attention to how your footgear fit and how you are cutting your toe nails (believe it or not, there is a wrong way and a correct way to cut your toe nails, and this is a major factor in why ingrown toe nails happen in the first place).

Ankles are something that you need to take into consideration as well.  Regardless of whether or not you have good or bad ankles, you need to look at footgear that will cover your ankles.  Footgear that cover ankles really do 2 things.  they provide ankle support to prevent ankle injuries and if you happen to have an ankle injury then they will provide compression and prevent swelling and give further support for quicker healing.  Quick medical tip: if you roll an ankle or sprain it, keep the boot on and lace it just a little tighter.  This will as I stated above keep swelling down and provide further support. 

Sweating:

If you are like me and your feet sweat alot, then you need to make sure that you have several things to help combat this.  moisture in footgear can lead to many things like athletes foot, swamp foot, trench foot, blisters, overall stink, etc.  combating moisture in footgear can be accomplished in several different ways. 

- Use foot powder in your boots as well as your socks.  A little goes a long way.
- foot sprays are not as effective as powders but they do work to an extent
- socks.  Socks really serve 3 functions, they wick moisture away from your skin, provide cushioning, and they also provide compression for your shins and calf muscles.
- wearing a pair of calf length or even full length compression pantyhose will wick moisture away from your skin as well as add a thin layer of material to help prevent blisters
- last but not least, make sure you have the correct footgear for the correct season and environment.   

Material composition:

The material composition of what your footgear is made of is very important.  Leather is a great footgear material because it is durable, breathable, flame resistant (not proof), dries fast and can be treated for many different applications/environments.  Rubber material is durable to an extent, waterproof, limited to certain situations and will retain moisture inside.  Composite material footgear is known to be light weight, durable to an extent, water resistant, breathable, non flame resistant and cannot be treated for different applications. 
Heals

The last thing we need to cover here is “heals”.  No not high heals like women wear but the heal of your footgear and the heal of your foot.  the heal of you foot absorbs and dissipates hundreds of pounds of pressure with each step as well as the heal of your footgear.  It also provides the proper alignment of your foot and your instep as well as your achilles tendon.  So with that being said, you need to make sure that you have a good heal on your footgear.  Yes there some footgear out there that does not have a heal per say, but they are also designed for specific purposes and not a general use.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
The footgear that I like the best because of comfortability, variety of uses and ease of maintenance were the ones that were issued to me during basic training.  I have had several pairs over the years and actually am In need of a new pair (read puppy ate them).  These boots take a little working to get them to fit correctly, but once that happens these boots will give you years of blister free comfortable wear and use.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about for those that don’t know.   
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »
Red Wing 401s and 435s are about all I wear for everyday use anymore.  They are extremely comfortable and wear well.  When I hunt, Red Wing Irish Setters.  When I was on active duty, I preferred Matterhorn boots with the replaceable vibram sole.   

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
I've worn many boots,

These are/were my favorite boots when I was in the Army.
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/footwear/military-boots/assault-boot-8-in-hw/product/11093/?skuCode=11093-889WC

They were basically beat up on every chance I got, which seemed to happen a lot. The soles were soft, but didn't fall apart fast, so they were quite durable. They really didn't have a break-in period, and only got more comfortable as they aged. They are very comfortable for LONG rucks or patrols, granted no matter how comfortable they are, your feet will generally hurt regardless.

These are what you'll find on my feet anytime I'm walking around, unless you catch me in the rare occasion of wearing my sandals or my Vibram 5 finger shoes.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22764M/50084/Mens/Moab-Mid-Waterproof-Wide-Width?dimensions=0

Again, these aren't treated very nice, and they haven't let me down. They also didn't have a break in period. I bought them, walked out to the parking lot, and once I got in my Jeep, I put them on and they've been comfortable ever since. I can't speak for how comfortable they are on long distance movements, but on 11Nov, I will be participating in the 2nd annual Veterans' Suicide Awareness walk, the Vet based charity I'm part of, puts on. So I"ll post up a review of how they fare after that.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
I have those same Merrell's in the low's, and can echo they are very comfortable and durable. I wear them on easy trail hikes/walks and while camping. Love em. Got my mom a pair too because she walks a lot, and she's been going strong on them for almost 2 years, and they've held up very well. She loves them as well.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
I have those same Merrell's in the low's, and can echo they are very comfortable and durable. I wear them on easy trail hikes/walks and while camping. Love em. Got my mom a pair too because she walks a lot, and she's been going strong on them for almost 2 years, and they've held up very well. She loves them as well.

They are awesome for everyday wear, we'll see how they do on a 22 mile jaunt...

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Well a little update on the Merrells.

I still wear them everyday, and they are exposed to all kinds of slush,salt,snow and ice up here in the Winter. They still have adequate traction so I'll still give them high marks. The only minor minus I can give them is the sole is starting to separate from the shoe by my left inner heel, and as such makes a squeak noise when I walk.

I will be replacing them with another pair of the same in addition to a pair of Salomon, which pair of them is going to be decided at a later date.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/authentic-ltr-cs-wp.html

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx.html

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/discovery-gtx.html

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
Well a little update on the Merrells.

The only minor minus I can give them is the sole is starting to separate from the shoe by my left inner heel, and as such makes a squeak noise when I walk.

The sole is worn down, and starting to separate from the upper by the left inner toe area back to the arch, and a couple other places. So I'll say they were worth the purchase price.

Going to check out some Saloman's and some Keen's that I saw at Cabela's, possibly this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:18:37 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
Bobby, for civie shoes, those Keens are OK. I even had a pair of ankle high Merrells and a pair of Keens which I used in and around Kandahar. Can't say I'm a big fan of ankle high walking on those softball to football sized stones, but on the lighter stuff they worked well, and I still own them

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »
Bobby, for civie shoes, those Keens are OK. I even had a pair of ankle high Merrells and a pair of Keens which I used in and around Kandahar. Can't say I'm a big fan of ankle high walking on those softball to football sized stones, but on the lighter stuff they worked well, and I still own them

I don't have moon rocks to walk upon up here. I don't mind the ankle high length, good compromise between calf length or low top version. I still have my Oakley Assault boots, but I don't wear those very often, they've earned their rest.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

I don't have moon rocks to walk upon up here. I don't mind the ankle high length, good compromise between calf length or low top version. I still have my Oakley Assault boots, but I don't wear those very often, they've earned their rest.
You join up on the USStandardissue.com website?

Oakley's official sales to us mil and police only. W A Y reduced pricing. You contact them, and provide proof, they vet you and you're in. Then Oak boots and glasses and things are more affordable.

Edit: I think I'll share this on its own thread so everyone can have access
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:09:59 AM by Flyin6 »

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
I need something in this area and have always had problems finding them. I have a very wide foot and a dealing with other issues as stated elsewhere.

There are Rockys that worked OK made for the CDC (ca dept corrections) working on cement all day. I need something that is 8-10in for the support. I wear from a 10.5 to 13 depending on the cut. Right now I support a pair of New Balance.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
i have had several pair of the T8 bifidas and all i can say is that they are well worth the money.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=garmont+boots

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
i have had several pair of the T8 bifidas and all i can say is that they are well worth the money.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=garmont+boots

I had a pair of the Garmont T8s. Loved them as well.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
I won't pretend to have put my boots through the paces some of the "been there done that" guys, so take this with a grain...gunpowder or salt, either one.

I have both 5:11 and Bates boots.  Both have been great.  I like the Bates because they have the side zipper that allows me to get in and out without having to completely unlace, which keeps my boot knife from being a hassle to lacing.

I think the Bates have been more comfortable and are waterproof for some of those weekend ninja tacticool events....(Grand Master Ninja Nate YouTube reference added for emphasis)

The 5:11 boots I have are being discontinued so I can't speak to current variants.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tahwabocobr.html
http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-side-zip-boot-with-gore-tex%C2%AE/20134M.html?dwvar_20134M_color=E02268#cgid=men-featured-waterproof&start=1

My go to shoes are the Saloman Speedcross.  I absolutely love them and am on my 3rd pair.  The are light, good aggressive tread, quiet, easier to sprint in than the boots.  Plus you can slip them on and off easy with the speedlaces. I have been blessed with strong ankles (knock wood...or thank my dad for discouraging playing football and sticking with baseball) so the agility tends to outweigh the need for ankle support when sprinting to the cooler....I do think the tread on the Saloman's wear a bit quicker but I'll take that trade for comfort and grip.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/speedcross-3.html?article=127609

Not a huge fan of Merrill.  I have a pair and have had a few in the past.  Heavier than I would like and some of the more recent pairs have been plagued with construction flaws, like separating soles.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:00:12 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »
Yep, RN
Bates are fine...used them a lot. For fliggin, now dirt bike ridin'
No knowledge on the 5.11's I'll bet the local officers would be using them...or those Magnum boots.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »

My go to shoes are the Saloman Speedcross.  I absolutely love them and am on my 3rd pair.  The are light, good aggressive tread, quiet, easier to sprint in than the boots.  Plus you can slip them on and off easy with the speedlaces. I have been blessed with strong ankles (knock wood...or thank my dad for discouraging playing football and sticking with baseball) so the agility tends to outweigh the need for ankle support when sprinting to the cooler....I do think the tread on the Saloman's wear a bit quicker but I'll take that trade for comfort and grip.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/speedcross-3.html?article=127609

Not a huge fan of Merrill.  I have a pair and have had a few in the past.  Heavier than I would like and some of the more recent pairs have been plagued with construction flaws, like separating soles.

Hm those foot covers look interesting.

The Merrill's I have aren't heavy, I think they are quite light for a hiking boot.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:34:59 AM by BobbyB »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
Just ordered a pair of Danner Rampant TFX 6" boots - clearance at Midway USA for $69 so I'll file a review after I wear them at the National Championships for Brittanys - gotta walk for an hour plus if we go the distance- hoping to repeat for the "girls" last competition.  Figured it was such a great price I can't go wrong....have gone through at least a dozen pair of Pronghorns and love them.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:59:48 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
I like the looks of the T8s, Danners just don't seem to fit me. Price is about right but sometimes you to pay for comfort. If your feet hurt, you just don't enjoy things as your should.

My issues come to the fit. The Rockys I wore were 10.5 wide, My new balance are 13s.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
JR, with your swelling issue, the T8's would not be a good choice/fit for you.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
Just ordered a pair of Danner Rampant TFX 6" boots - clearance at Midway USA for $69 so I'll file a review after I wear them at the National Championships for Brittanys - gotta walk for an hour plus if we go the distance- hoping to repeat for the "girls" last competition.  Figured it was such a great price I can't go wrong....have gone through at least a dozen pair of Pronghorns and love them.

REVIEW:   JUNK!

Construction and fit were good, looks etc were fine.....water proof....comfort after all day use this past weekend for an all day Youth Pheasant Hunt.......HORRIBLE!

They had a non-metal safety toe, that wasn't bad, but the heal cup area was unflexible and the entire sole was the stiffest I've ever worn.  My feet hurt so bad that I drove an hour and a half one way to get a pair of Danner Pronghorns for the next day's hunt!

I'm contemplating sending them back to Danner with a note......ugh!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
mike, are you sure that age had nothing to do with the ache's and pains..........;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
gee...wonder why they were on clearance........
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
mike, are you sure that age had nothing to do with the ache's and pains..........;D

Sure, that plays, but truly illustrates importance of good foundation, 'cause all the funny walking on sore feet sure wrecks knees, hips, back and all the muscles attached to them!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »
gee...wonder why they were on clearance........

.......salt in wound...... :)......should've given the kid with holes in his way too small boots the new ones off my feet instead of my "back-up" pair from the truck  ::)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »
Bought myself some new Merrell's. I was hoping they'd be on clearance, but alas I wasn't lucky enough for that.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
Guess I'm a bit different from everyone. I've always wore cowboy boots for most everything and so far my favorites have been ariats. I'm on my third pair of these currently.
http://www.ariat.com/WILDSTOCK_M_FOO.html?dwvar_WILDSTOCK__M__FOO_color=WEATHERED_BROWN#start=1
I also wear sperry top-sides for comfort and have no complaints.
http://www.sperry.com/en/billfish-3-eye-boat-shoe/10247M.html?dwvar_10247M_color=0799023#cgid=men-shoes-boat-shoes&start=1
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
I like this thread.  I like shoes of all types

I currently wear about all of these types of shoes my biggest complaint finding shoes that fit my large feet.  Size 13-14 shoes don't have the same movements as shoes for smaller sizes. The toes bend in different spots and that has caused much grief for me and shoes in the past

Some companies feel the longer the foot the wider or taller it must be which is not the case my feet are just simply long.

I have the before mentioned cowboy boots with shoe inserts to keep the tight  ariat quick draws on my second set
Work boots I have been through a number of the cheapo rocky mt boots the sole gets really hard in the cold and makes for a simulate walking sensation of walking on cold concrete I don't reccomend them for any purpose.

I have a pair of Carolina ten inch logger boots that I love. Great sole, high quality leather and shape that matches and fits my foot.
Georgia boots has a slip on that I will be buying next

The every day shoe this last month has been these and I have liked them enough I ordered another pair   

Dress shoes are my out of character favorite, I always tell the wife " when your wife looks as good as you do, I have to polish everything I have to make it look believable"
Hand made in the USA and lifetime repairs and soles. And I have some others a little less flashy Clarke, Cole han, the Steve Madden.

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
Apparently I took the wind out of the sails on this thread.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
Apparently I took the wind out of the sails on this thread.

No you're good. Footwear isn't as flashy of a subject as a truck build, or anything weapon related.

I've thought about grabbing a pair of cowboy boots. Hiking boots don't fit in saddle stirrups to well. At least the couple times I've gone horseback riding they didn't fit the best.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »

Love these merrells for comfort. Not sure they are gonna hold up

Just got these keens for winter, trial year. Taking a while to break in for sure

These Vietnamese Skechers were absolutely the best shoes for running on five years. I got them caked in mud last winter and kicked them off in the garage. When I decided to clean them, the fastening had started to rot. But they are still comfortable as heck!

Truth is, most days when I'm not in these-

I'm in these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »
hopefully that is kiwi and not some mop-n-glo or that leather luster ............;D #stickpoke

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
Lol! Yessir! Good old fashioned kiwi and elbow grease! It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to cutting corners to laying down a good shine! My sister showed me her "hair spray" trick she learned in navy boot camp. SMDH!

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »
I'm wearing some Merrills just like the ones pictured that Blaine is owning. Have 3 sets total. Two served me over in the stan for years and I use them for working, and my pretty ones for black tie affairs!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2016, 07:56:49 PM »
I have had one set of Keen shoes, work bought then.  I didn't much care for them.   After a few months the shoe is made/ designed for a wide foot I think

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »
Love these merrells for comfort. Not sure they are gonna hold up

If they are like my first pair, once that starts that aren't going to stay alive long. I should've gotten ahold of Merrell's customer service, but I attributed their early demise to the wear and beat down I applied to them as well as the salt and slush that last winter subjected them to.

The new pair I got I like as well.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 08:07:30 PM »
Oh yea got myself a new pair of Merrells. Have to call Merrell customer service and see if they can/will fix my other pair. That stupid fabric lace keeper tore in half so I couldn't tie my boots. The new ones are comfy as I have come to expect.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
My favorite for all around wear, but admittedly, I mostly used them flying and over in the Stan were the Oakley boots. Love them, absolutely love them.

Hey Don, any Oakley boot specifically? Been looking for a new pair, sorta general purpose I guess, responding to call, wearing camping, maybe a bit of hiking. Was checking out the OakleyForces.ca website, some nice stuff for good prices.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Oh yea got myself a new pair of Merrells. Have to call Merrell customer service and see if they can/will fix my other pair. That stupid fabric lace keeper tore in half so I couldn't tie my boots. The new ones are comfy as I have come to expect.

I like LLBean's for just that reason for hikers. I got a pair about 15 years ago that self destructed on me.....I took them back and they gave me a new pair. I got them about 5 years ago. Last year I heard something crunch in the sole/shank. Same thing....took them back. They gave me a new pair and a $20 gift card for my trouble. They stand behind their stuff.

Here's the one I have now and I really like them.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111783?feat=506795-GN3&page=men-s-trail-model-4-waterproof-hiking-boots-leather-suede&attrValue_0=Coffee Bean&productId=1560254

For my hard work/chainsaw work though I still wear my Red Wing loggers. Have had those since forever and they are still in good shape. Leather is cut up some but that's what the steel toe is for.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »
My Columbia boots. Worn 4 times in 8 years. Only on trips to MN in winter.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:27 AM »
My Columbia boots. Worn 4 times in 8 years. Only on trips to MN in winter.

It wasn't that cold up here.

P.S. Winter boots with dress pants.. classy.  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:23:09 AM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
7 degrees and 15 mph wind was cold enough!  And yes. Others laughed but I didn't fall on the slush outside the buildings either. :thumb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »
Last thing I ask everyone to consider is where your boots are made.  I hate sending my money to China.  The best all around boot I have found is the Danner Crater Rim GTX, light, durable, affordable and Danner backs up their product.  They are mostly made in USA, assembled but the laces and rings are China man according to Danner.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
I've had a pair of Merrells like Blaine posted, for a few years now. They are for hunting only, and have held up pretty well. (probably a couple hundred offroad miles). Decided to try something different for an elk hunt recently and went with some Vasques (made by redwing) and by golly those are the most comfy shoes I have ever worn, but a little on the heavy side compared to the Merrells.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 12:41:02 AM »
I have heard good things about the Keens and I have a really wide foot!!

Actually, the 511's I got fit OK now. I tried them after I got my surgery (july) but in NOV they felt good, but they slipped on ice bad.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »
Im on the lookout for some new boots. Ive worn Tony llama TLX lace up boots for years. I love them but pricey. Close to $200. After I had my Knee scoped last winter they are too heavy and aggravate my knee. I got a pair of ariat slip on cow boy boots from my nephew. He didn't like them I don't either but Ive worn the crap out of them. If do a lot of walking I have to wear my Nike high tops.  Mostly I just wear a $20 pair of slip on shoes from Wal-Mart with some Dr sholes inserts.

I need to make a trip to the good feet store. When I walk on concrete too much my back goes out no matter what I have on. I was on the floor on my hands and knees yesterday for a couple minutes and couldn't get up.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
Jon,

I have had Red wing work boots forever. I am lucky having an average size and width foot so I can find pretty much anything in my size. I do like being able to go into an actual store where the people are trained and know what they are doing.

These are what I have for years and still have many years of life in them. I don't wear them every day though.  :grin:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/899-red-wing-shoes/899-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

They might be too pricey and heavy for what you want but they will fit and last a long time.

Also I am very cheap... so I have bought almost all of my dress shoes and some boots on eBay. I buy the same brand and know the exact size I wear so I can buy them new or slightly used for 20cts on the dollar there.

Here is my exact boot except I wear a smaller size. $125.00 instead of $275.00 new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Red-Wing-Irish-Setter-Sport-Hunting-Work-Brown-Round-Toe-Boot-899-Mens-13-D-/262785688143?hash=item3d2f3f624f:g:z08AAOSw241YZ1Ph

It kinda eeks my wife out that I buy used shoes but I asked her if she has "rented" bowling shoes before...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:34:14 AM by cruizng »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
I'm still all over these Oakley boots.

We and the SF guyz were wearing these things out on those sharp rocks "over there."

They hold up pretty well.

Caveat: Not for a cold environment

http://www.oakleysi.com/Root/Collections/Tactical-Collection/Light-Assault-Boot-2/p/888896294693

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal