Hello Guest

Author Topic: Trailer Roof Maintenance and Repair  (Read 11578 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer Roof Maintenance and Repair
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
What coating is that?

I didn't get a chance to finish my repair and it is taped over and tarped waitng for the rain to stop.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
Hey, JR, I might have missed it, but how old is that roof? Has it been out in the sunlight all this time? I am gauging the lifespan of my roof...wondering how long it might last...
Site owner    IS 6:8  Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author: Distant Thunder

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
Its a 2005 trailer. I've had it for about 4 years now. The right side was faded when I got it which is the same side as the leak. I can't complain about the life of the roof, I have heard 8-10 years and mine is parked outside and we have seen cooking sun for months the last few years.

I think 2 -3 years is when I would really start paying attention but us the UV protector every year.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »
It was the same with the in-laws 5th wheel sat outside no cover , roof was in bad shape, camper not worth the money for whole new roof, so I patched the weakest spots with Rubber Roof tape, then coated the whole roof. My wife took the 5th wheel and her parents camping a lot this past summer and no leaks in a lot of heavy rain. This coating worked great for the money even it I have to recoat it after a few years for $60 a gal. used 1 gal. on 22ft roof.
http://www.richfieldtrailer.com/products-page/roof-coating-repair/hengs-rubber-roof-coating-46128/
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
You cover the whole roof with that stuff annually?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
You cover the whole roof with that stuff annually?

No, there is a protectant that helps with the UV that you put every year. About $25 a gal and lasts a few years.

The coating is when the roof gets old or you have other issues. It runs $60 and up a gallon and takes a day of prep and sometimes a few days to cure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
Copy

Offline nmeyer414

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
I may have missed it JR?  whats the final verdict, how did it all turn out and are there any new leaks?  pics?
Nate

Push a KIA or Prius into the ditch this winter if the opportunity arises........it'll build character for a suffering millennial! or if you see Donkey Kong in a Jetta expect a wedding in the works

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:37 AM »
OK, finally got this little bugger fixed up. The roof is sealed but found 2 little other cracks and a vent went bad.

I believe the real culprit here is age and location. Not so much my location but where this came from. It is 10 years old now and the right side is faded worse than the left. That is also where all the cracks are.

So it needs a recoat very bad which will have to be this year before the rainy season (if we ever get one again)

Cleaned it up mostly simple green, then sorta primed it using Xytol. It had duct tape sticky all over keeper odd weather out.

So first thing was to fill the void I had made during the first repair. Just a good sheet of roof repair, then seal the edges with seam sealer.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »
Next I cut a sheet of patch about 1 inch bigger all the way around. This stuff is like human flypaper. I lost about 6 inches off the first sheet and just had enough left to do the repair (always by extra, don't do this when hot and have help) I did 2 out those 3,,,,,,,,,,,, ::)

You have to wrap this under the edge that clamps it down, you don't have a lot of room and did I say this stuff was sticky???

Oh, and guess what happens to Simple Green when it gets hot, SEPARATION!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »
After it was worked flat, tucked in and gone over again. I sealed the edges.

I also redid the awning edge and got those 2 other little splits. One was about 6 inches in front of this and the other was under the edge of the fridge cover. I noticed the upper edge on his side is much rougher than the other side. Actually, the rest of the roof looks pretty good and is smooth with the gray powder nice and even.

Had a little sealer left so I got the old tank vent that had gone bad last year. The other was replaced the year before but needed some touch up as was was cracked all around the base.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »
Next come the inside wall and a soft spot under this leak on the floor!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline nmeyer414

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
looks like you will be following kens example on how to apply a new roof seal
Nate

Push a KIA or Prius into the ditch this winter if the opportunity arises........it'll build character for a suffering millennial! or if you see Donkey Kong in a Jetta expect a wedding in the works

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
looks like you will be following kens example on how to apply a new roof seal

Yup, was already looking there,,,,,,,,,,,

The finish he di was great, should give another 10 years and easier to recoat.

Thomas Jefferson