Hello Guest

Author Topic: NWMT Cabin  (Read 29864 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NWMT Cabin
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2022, 11:18:33 PM »
Sweet, getting from the side is a game changer. I have to back into mine.

Does it have the standard bobcat quick attach? I am looking at a linear 12v motor for mine so I don't need to flip the levers by hand. I also have regular forks and it makes a great FL sans the straight lift and side shift. Watch the 60" forks you will kill things past the pallet!

Chains for cold weather?? Tires just slide around (ask me how I know)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2022, 11:53:09 PM »
Sweet, getting from the side is a game changer. I have to back into mine.

Does it have the standard bobcat quick attach? I am looking at a linear 12v motor for mine so I don't need to flip the levers by hand. I also have regular forks and it makes a great FL sans the straight lift and side shift. Watch the 60" forks you will kill things past the pallet!

Chains for cold weather?? Tires just slide around (ask me how I know)

It came with upgraded hi flow hydraulics, block heater & auto quick attach and it’s standard, yeah levers aren’t any fun. I wanted the 60” because when you load a pallet with two axles on it that are roughly 84” overall you need the extra length to balance the pallet. Chains will be needed for ice, not so much snow. Regardless the tires are better than tracks for that too and being I live in the cold now it will be used for snow removal quite a bit.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:54:11 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:05 AM »
Hate to dwell on the pipe, but if creosote can drip out the seam, can't smoke escape the other way?

Man, not so sure I can live in those conditions.... But I'm going to try!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »
Hate to dwell on the pipe, but if creosote can drip out the seam, can't smoke escape the other way?

Not a chimney expert, however one is due in this afternoon and he’s apparently done installs for 30yrs prior to going out on his own a few years ago. So I’m sure I’ll get an education.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »

Not unless there is a block in the chimney. Think of it as the smoke is sucked out from the top of the chimney instead of the smoke getting pushed out the chimney from the bottom.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »

Not unless there is a block in the chimney. Think of it as the smoke is sucked out from the top of the chimney instead of the smoke getting pushed out the chimney from the bottom.

Chimney effect.
It is not only a phenomonem but is a real thing.
Heat rises and the heat of the smoke and fire simply rushes to the top of the pipe.
Smoke stays in the pipe and creosote returns to the burn box not the pipes and floor.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »

So 31 year seasoned installer thus far can’t find any major culprit as to why the wood in old stove wasn’t wanting to burn, even tested wood for dryness.

However, this type of air cooled chimney hasn’t been used on wood stoves since the 80’s or 90’s. They still use it on zero clearance fireplaces etc but not wood stoves. So I opted to have it all replaced. Buy once, cry once.

On another note we do need to extend the hearth as even with older smaller stove it wasn’t out far enough to be to American code and Canadian code wants it extending out in front of stove further yet.

Update: culprit found, old chimney cap had a spark arrestor screen in it which was plugged shut. New one doesn’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 05:22:46 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »
It gets even better…….

Whomever installed this pushed the ceiling support box thru to above the roof line by a good 1.5” then cut the box at the 4 corners and folded them over then sandwiched them under the roofing material. So to change ceiling support box they are using a sawzall to remove original one as you can’t very well remove roof panels in December.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2022, 06:20:57 PM »
Hey Timmy, you and Bubba know how to do chimneys and stuff? nope, but we'll figure it out... jes gotta cut a hole right?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2022, 06:51:40 PM »
Hey Timmy, you and Bubba know how to do chimneys and stuff? nope, but we'll figure it out... jes gotta cut a hole right?

Pretty much my take on this whole deal….

Don’t laugh, but my first shop all 1200 sq ft in Indiana 25 years ago. I built the wood stove (to accept w/o cutting 4’ long 4x’s which came between bunks of steel sheet on every load at my day job) and used black pipe up to a hole I cut in the roof. Used double wall b vent thru the roof flashing. Used that setup for several years with zero issue. Spray foamed that shop and I could run you out of there. Many days it was 80 - 90 degrees in shop in a t-shirt and single digits outside.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:52:40 PM by stlaser »

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:33 PM »
Should be a very good feeling knowing the chimney is installed right. How do you plan on cleaning the chimney when the time comes? I started using very dry presto logs to extend the cleaning time.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2022, 09:18:27 PM »
I only ever cleaned it once a year in Indiana and I always paid a guy to come do it. Granted we were burning well seasoned hardwood but that’s all we needed.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:23:02 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2022, 09:21:17 PM »

My neighbor Curt “supervising” the seasoned professional on the ladder

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2022, 09:39:31 PM »
Yep, the pad looks aa tad short now. Nice row of bricks and some flagstone would look great.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2022, 09:48:59 PM »
Fine Looking fire place!

Does it have any mechanical air movement deal ?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2022, 09:58:27 PM »
Fine Looking fire place!

Thanks guys, we have one of those little fans that sit on top of it and spins when it heats up. But that’s it.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2022, 10:55:43 PM »
Fine Looking fire place!

Thanks guys, we have one of those little fans that sit on top of it and spins when it heats up. But that’s it.
Being free standing I doubt you will need any mechanical help staying warm. Nice looking stove. If anything a small fan in the corner blowing on the stack.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2022, 11:14:54 PM »
Beautiful looking stove Shawn.

After posting about the pipe, I realized the flaw in my thinking. Draft effect, Duh

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2022, 11:17:41 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah this free standing models really throw off a lot of heat versus say a fireplace insert style.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
NWMT Cabin
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2022, 03:53:24 AM »
Yep, that’s amazing, beautiful not so little stove!

Our little stove we had in GA was a different color but very similar in style. Loved that thing, we ran it hot hot to heat our 2200ish sqft of house, worked like a charm!

Don’t need heat much down here, but I sure do miss sitting by one on a winters night. Good work on signing the check
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:01:29 AM by wyorunner »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2022, 05:32:25 AM »
Very nice place Shawn!  Looking forward to the up-coming shop build. What size are you planning? Post-frame or stick built?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2022, 01:47:36 PM »

My neighbor Curt “supervising” the seasoned professional on the ladder

"She's a real beaut Clark"

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »
That looks awesome can almost feel the warmth over the net

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2022, 03:49:12 PM »
That is one of the best-looking wood stoves I believe I have ever seen!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2022, 05:40:09 PM »
Very nice place Shawn!  Looking forward to the up-coming shop build. What size are you planning? Post-frame or stick built?

Thanks guys

In regards for the big not so big shop and we’ll see on size…

Couple things to consider. First I have 1500 sq ft in Colorado and for all purposes it works. I’m currently building a 12 x 20 addition off my 2 car detached garage. So 240 sq ft there (machine shop only) and I’d like to initially put up a 32 x 48 barn with 16’ walls and 6 / 12 roof pitch. Then along the south side extend a lower roof 12’ x 48’ (essentially lean to) for fifth wheel storage. Down the road I’d like to do same off north side but enclose it.

Now here’s my conundrum. I have a 1600 sq ft house and per the regulations here I can’t have a shop larger than the house or taller. But I can have several ugly looking shops versus one big one. I don’t particularly want several smaller shops but we’ll see what developer says. Some of his rules are dumb, but he’s been lenient on other things. I think he’s reasonable but we’ll see.

I’m currently drawing up exactly what I want and submitting it. I’m also contending with an electrical easement in the area I want the shop. So in addition to installing the shop service I may have to have them reroute the house service. Lots of planning….
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 05:52:49 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2022, 05:41:27 PM »
That is one of the best-looking wood stoves I believe I have ever seen!

Jotul for the win, dealer forgot a rear heat shield. So I ordered that this morning

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2022, 05:56:56 PM »
Good luck, sure your codes are WAY better than mine.

Hmm, several small shops, garage doors, end to end. Once finished, just join em!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »

Hmm, several small shops, garage doors, end to end. Once finished, just join em!

Typical hoa bs…… rules go both ways. I do believe he’ll work with me. If he doesn’t I’ll look for loop holes in his rules. Montana also recently passed legislation stating that you’re grandfathered into the existing rules when you purchased. So he’s stuck with the rules he had and can’t change them. I’ve also asked if he includes meeting minutes and the hoa financials annually. No one apparently has ever asked for them or viewed them. I’m waiting for that email requesting my annual donation.

I’ve played these games before and with bigger fish. I started my career battling the local county planning commission at 25 years old. I won that war btw.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:14:52 PM by stlaser »

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
Always someone who wants answers and also asks way to many questions about local rules and regulations. How do you expect them to take extended coffee and lunch breaks when you are being a pain in their backside asking silly questions?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2022, 08:37:39 PM »

Typical hoa bs…… rules go both ways. I do believe he’ll work with me. If he doesn’t I’ll look for loop holes in his rules. Montana also recently passed legislation stating that you’re grandfathered into the existing rules when you purchased. So he’s stuck with the rules he had and can’t change them. I’ve also asked if he includes meeting minutes and the hoa financials annually. No one apparently has ever asked for them or viewed them. I’m waiting for that email requesting my annual donation.

I’ve played these games before and with bigger fish. I started my career battling the local county planning commission at 25 years old. I won that war btw.
Careful, they'll label you as some eastern troublemaker. Makes you a couple of points better than a western (CA. troublemaker... ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2022, 09:40:42 PM »
Oh, yeah did I mention this guys from Sacramento? Lol

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2022, 05:18:10 AM »
There is usually a work-around. On my Wyoming property, I am limited to a "...single detached building no greater than 30% of the residence..."  Yet there are several shops exceeding that rule.  When submitting my plans, I will point out those 6 properties, one shop is 120% of the size of the residence, and the owner sits on the approval board. 

Perhaps you (or I) can "attach" to the residence, via a breezeway. 

When do you plan to start the shop build?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2022, 11:11:27 AM »
There is usually a work-around. On my Wyoming property, I am limited to a "...single detached building no greater than 30% of the residence..."  Yet there are several shops exceeding that rule.  When submitting my plans, I will point out those 6 properties, one shop is 120% of the size of the residence, and the owner sits on the approval board. 

Perhaps you (or I) can "attach" to the residence, via a breezeway. 

When do you plan to start the shop build?

Well, he approved my wainscoting on the current 2 car detached garage and that’s steel and not allowed according to hoa docs. Although he stated it was in alignment with them. He also approved the driveway additions (u shaped driveway) and two culverts as I build drive to new shop area and increase current driveway.

Breezeway or something similar is in plan from home to detached garage.

I’m currently still waiting on slab to be poured for the 12x20 addition off detached 2 car garage. It will be my machine shop. I did this for two reasons. One to keep it clean as a lot of my other work is pretty dirty. Second, to try and get something done this winter so I could focus on main shop next spring and summer. Currently walking thru the process of design on that and just spoke to electric utility yesterday.

I did tell him I’d rather one nice large structure versus several small ones.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:44:06 AM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2022, 12:19:10 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to expand the house….;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2022, 02:44:25 PM »
As you already know, the Kali trick is to make it against the rules, build out anyway and fine you for non-compliance annually, but you get to keep it. sounds like this guys taking pages from their books.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2022, 03:18:37 PM »
As you already know, the Kali trick is to make it against the rules, build out anyway and fine you for non-compliance annually, but you get to keep it. sounds like this guys taking pages from their books.

That’s right, I don’t care for that obviously. Buddy in Colorado had lien placed against his property. I’m more of the I’ll look at the rules and the grey area and request things that aren’t technically not allowed. Or the better one is when their rules cause a potential safety issue.

For instance, one place said we couldn’t have a double gate to our backyard. So I modified the fence to have a removable panel. When the design review dumb***es came onto my property uninvited I was able to school them on why legal terminology is important. Your rule didn’t say I couldn’t have a single gate adjacent to a removable panel…..

Another time I requested my driveway be widened beyond the allowed 18” per side and told them in the request that when my elderly relatives or wheel chair bound friend comes over and gets injured trying to access the home. I’ll send you the bill. Amazingly things got approved outside the scope of the rules. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:25:15 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2022, 08:04:26 PM »

Walls were stripped this morning. I laid out the shop area. After measuring for setbacks and hoping not to have to move the electrical line w/ easement for that it appears I can easily fit in a 48 x 48 shop footprint. Only about 1500 sq ft would be enclosed, rest would be under roof but open storage etc. for skid loader and rv.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »

So with that said, this is the “style of shop” I want. I’ll change several things about this structure. The center area will be 24 x 48 w/ 16’ sidewalls then the porch area will be as is w/ the exception I’ll raise the lean to roof’s up and remove those side windows up top. The rear lean to will be open sided. Chimney will be removed and I’ll have a single 14’ x 14’ overhead door at this end. I may add a smaller 10’ wide by 8’ door at back and opposite end potentially. The man door I’ll most likely move to the other wall under that front roof. Back lean to area will be gravel only. Albeit this all depends on what developer thinks…..

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:33:58 PM by stlaser »

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
Hopefully the area is zoned for commercial use and not residential only. Would it help you to include a letter from neighbor when you submit the package to the developer?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Hopefully the area is zoned for commercial use and not residential only. Would it help you to include a letter from neighbor when you submit the package to the developer?

So it’s limited business use. As long as I have less than 3 visitors daily I’m gtg. I ship currently 60-70% of my product. On a busy week I might have a dozen people stop by all by appointment only. Add to it I didn’t move here to continue working 6-7 days a week. Goal is 4 tops……
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:05:02 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2022, 09:36:09 PM »
Overhangs can be closed in so easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »

So it’s limited business use. As long as I have less than 3 visitors daily I’m gtg. I ship currently 60-70% of my product. On a busy week I might have a dozen people stop by all by appointment only. Add to it I didn’t move here to continue working 6-7 days a week. Goal is 4 tops……
Sounds like it will work. Lots of areas around here do not allow residents to operate a business. Limiting visits to three a day  would stop most beauty shop type business operations all right. Majority of yours is off site dealings.  Hope it all works out for you, without having to scale back your outbuildings too much.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2022, 09:58:22 PM »
Right, thanks, me too…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2022, 11:12:50 PM »
Limiting visits to three a day  would stop most beauty shop type business operations all right.
I have one of those next door… drives me crazy.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »

So with that said, this is the “style of shop” I want. I’ll change several things about this structure. The center area will be 24 x 48 w/ 16’ sidewalls then the porch area will be as is w/ the exception I’ll raise the lean to roof’s up and remove those side windows up top. The rear lean to will be open sided. Chimney will be removed and I’ll have a single 14’ x 14’ overhead door at this end. I may add a smaller 10’ wide by 8’ door at back and opposite end potentially. The man door I’ll most likely move to the other wall under that front roof. Back lean to area will be gravel only. Albeit this all depends on what developer thinks…..

That door is way too small to drive that loader in/out of. I recommend going to at least a 36 incher! ;-)

That style of the barn is popular in rural areas with horses around here. Animals in the lean-to's while the farmer works from the center aisle. Then there's that nice cozy apartment upstairs for the times you need to put some distance between the other person in the house... ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »
Limiting visits to three a day  would stop most beauty shop type business operations all right.
I have one of those next door… drives me crazy.

Beauty shop or annoying neighbor who pounds steel all day / night and disregards hoa rules…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2022, 03:29:57 PM »

That door is way too small to drive that loader in/out of. I recommend going to at least a 36 incher! ;-)

That style of the barn is popular in rural areas with horses around here. Animals in the lean-to's while the farmer works from the center aisle. Then there's that nice cozy apartment upstairs for the times you need to put some distance between the other person in the house... ;-)

No apartment, have one above the current garage once I finish it. The center portion will be high ceiling for the two lifts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2022, 06:48:17 PM »
Ya, it should be plenty tall for that!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2022, 12:35:11 AM »
Ya, it should be plenty tall for that!

I had 14’ ceiling in last shop and it was a bit short as my 2 post w/ height extensions were right at ceiling height. New shop has 20’ and although I like it, I do t believe it’s necessary.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
You're likely to have your own weather systems developing in there!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal