Hello Guest

Author Topic: What about a truck camper?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What about a truck camper?
« on: February 25, 2024, 10:12:00 AM »
I owned one back in the 1980's and it was crude at best, but I restored it and used it some mounted on a Ford F250 of mine.

Now I think I want another one.

Looking at our more adventuresome travel as of late, and the prospect of having to sleep in a rooftop tent for more than 30 consecutive days, well...

Kat and I are now doing four or more trips a year. And oddly enough, I am ripening right along. Now, I can climb up and down ladders but I can't ever remember wanting to seek to be miserable. Sort of reminds me of my (many) Armee days when I lived with near-zero support. Yea, well, I didn't like it then and I still don't.

We are doing the Zion National Park trip in a bit more than a month in a Jeep, that's handled. But, for the Wyoming/Montana trip in the summer, well that is a long one. It would be so much nicer in some sort of backpack truck camper perched on my Ram 3500.

I started thinking about this because next year we are driving to the Arctic Ocean. Up the Alcan spending a lot of time in the Canada, then back down the coast of AK, onto a ferry to Seattle, then probably just ship the truck home from there. Anyway, I was going to buy a truck camper for that one. Either that or put a V8 into the Gladiator and install a more substantial backpack camper on it.

I think the smartest thing to do is to keep the Jeep in a roof tent configuration and buy a truck camper

Let the discussion begin:
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: What about a truck camper?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 11:06:47 AM »
Well the way I see it.
If you are looking for something a bit roomier a camper isn’t much of an answer either. They cost about the same as midsize 5th wheel or pull trailer and either will give you lots more room. My folks did the camper thing so they could pull a boat around. We took it hunting too but only one person at a time could move as there is just not much room in them. Other than the climb up the ladder thing you really have more room now than in a camper and you still climb up to get to the bed.
Either a pull trailer or 5th wheel is much easier to drop from the rig once you get to where you want to explore and many places require the truck camper stay as one unit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 11:27:00 AM »
Well, I don't have a bathroom inside the same space that I sleep in. In fact, I don't have a bathroom at all!
Kat and I got into a small truck camper a few days ago and she was able to move about the cooking area while I was able to fidget around. The way I see it we would only be confined to the cramped interior spaces during inclement weather. The rest of the time we would be sitting outside.

I hate travel trailers and could only go with something smaller like the thing I built (and use) but it has no bathroom or shower. You would park that alongside a trout stream and set up a toilet/shower tent to be workable, but I don't like the idea of pulling anything. I do like the ability to go pretty much the same places I could get to with just the truck and still have my camper.

I also like the ability to offload it to use just the truck if I want to. I watched a vid of a guy with a Palamino unloading his camper in 3 min and 40 seconds. He reattached it and departed in seven minutes.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 12:58:47 PM »
And that is why they sell all styles of R/V’s. I wish I could afford a diesel pusher, but till then I will keep wishing
If you end up with a camper, be sure to put a good heavy duty jack package on it.

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 08:34:29 PM »
I use my truck camper many weeks a year. I've done 5 weeks with wife and months on my own. Really nice to have the galley and bathroom.  My propane fridge failed this year so I am switching to 12v compressor and all solar. Never stay anywhere to plug in. I've been driving 1st gen dodges for over 20 years. Towed an airstream some years. Used a simple canopy many years. This old Bigfoot is a great compact unit for the past few years. Easy to haul and easy to park. I never unload it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 08:35:49 PM by halsey »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 07:37:29 AM »
I have had every kind of camper there is except class A. Truck campers are fine. Little top heavy. I have been thinking more about getting a sprinter van and doing a conversion on that for when the kids are gone. I really like my 5th wheel and truck set up and I will keep that but there are places you just can't get into like you could with a truck camper or a van.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 08:21:28 AM »
Looking at this upcoming trip to Wyoming, I will be staying, boondock style along the green river several nights. Maybe find a mesa to park on top of to watch a sunset or two.

Starting to settle in on a new Palamino 2902

It fits 6.5' beds and was upgraded this year with a bunch of solar, 400 watts on the roof, and a 100 Ahr Lithium battery along with an eleven-foot 12V frig. It comes in a little over 3,200 dry. I calculate I have 4,950 payload. Me and Kat, 400, another 300 for fuel. Give us 100 for clothing and 100 for camping stuff. That leaves #4,000 to play with. Take that camper and add in the 45 gal of fresh water (400) and I'd still have 3,600 remaining.

I'd add a camper tiedown, a Helwig sway bar and some Summoto rubber bump stops for another #50 added to the vehicle weight and I still have room for a Big Mac and a non-sweet tea!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 08:09:19 PM »
Just gonna leave this hear

Then I’ll add a second for the sprinter van either self built or one of the many companies that build them out for you at a $$$ price tag.

I like the dream of an in bed camper but in the end I can to the conclusion there simply isn’t enough space to justify the cost. If you plan to unload the camper to drive truck why not drop your trailer and drive truck, more room, less cost per sqft and have the same amenities.  A 25’ bumper pull would rip behind your truck and still have a spot to put your motorcycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 08:48:29 PM »
There is a great discussion to be found about this person.

He totally overloaded his truck.

Most 3500 Dually Rams have around a 4,000 payload. Mine has a huge payload at 4950.

This person claimed his available payload was 7,500! There is no way in any universe to have a payload like that. You'd have to have a single cab gasser, 2WD to even get in the 5K range.

So the guy here who is famous for overloading was overloaded by 1.5 tons over the max that the truck could carry. Any truck will eventually fail in this manner if it is grossly overloaded like in this example. F350s are doing the same thing if you search...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 10:30:57 PM »
Your truck has a higher payload capacity as a srw then a drw

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 04:26:11 PM »
Your truck has a higher payload capacity as a srw then a drw

Is that a statement or a question?

Yes, my single rear-wheel Ram 3500 has a GVWT of 11,800. Most Ram 3500 dually trucks I have seen have a GVWT of 10,800.

That should be true for all major brands.

A dually spreads the weight out better but weighs a thousand pounds more than a short box single-wheel truck.

This is one of the reasons I decided to purchase a single rear-wheel truck.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 04:48:34 PM »
I think I may be settling in on a Palmino 2902.

For 2024 Palmino has really upped their game.

New for this year is standard 400 watts of solar panels and a 100 Ahr Lithium battery, a 12 volt 11 cu ft frig, two awnings, and very modern colors.

The weight seems to be around 3200 dry and the pricing is mid 30's.

It has a slide to make for more room inside and fits both 6.5 and 8 ft bed sizes. She likes the modern interior with a white palette which sets it apart from all the darker wood tones found most other places.

Dunno, but this one would fit out needs pretty well...And we found one!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 04:49:47 PM »
The one we may select has theater seating and not the dinette in the slide.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 09:03:20 PM »
Our neighbor down here has a camper for when he pulls his horse trailer. He has a step system that folds up and lays just inside the door while traveling. Piece of channel steel fixed to rear just under the door to hold the top part when in use. Nice option I haven’t been around before but looks really good.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 08:10:49 AM »
You'll need to add 2nd 100 amp battery and good heavy cables and dc to dc charger to keep the batteries charged, 400 watts of solar will help a lot but with DC ref, you're going  to be using more power every day. We did Michigan to Arctic Ocean in 17 with a popup truck camper, Truck Campers are the only way to see Alaska! You can get to so many more places it's mostly State or Federal land so if you see a 2 track down to a river most of the time you can camp there, we found lots of dry camping in Canada and Alaska!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 10:07:09 AM »
You'll need to add 2nd 100 amp battery and good heavy cables and dc to dc charger to keep the batteries charged, 400 watts of solar will help a lot but with DC ref, you're going  to be using more power every day. We did Michigan to Arctic Ocean in 17 with a popup truck camper, Truck Campers are the only way to see Alaska! You can get to so many more places it's mostly State or Federal land so if you see a 2 track down to a river most of the time you can camp there, we found lots of dry camping in Canada and Alaska!

That trip you did put it on my bucket list of things to do.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 12:39:51 PM »
I'll be hitting you up for information about this.

First of all, I purchased the camper yesterday...I own it!

The pick-up date is set for 14 Mar.

It already has a DC-DC charger.
I plan to immediately add one or two more 100 a/hr. Lithium batteries.

I really want to add five more, then a 3000W inverter so I can run things like AC off of batteries. I am not sure without seeing it first, exactly how things are going to fit and if I can actually add that much or many batteries.

Another option I will consider is affixing a 3200W generator to the rear bumper somewhere to power AC during the hot days.

For the Wyoming trip, I will be mostly in northern states or at higher altitudes, so I probably won't need AC and I can get along without a microwave.

I remember your trip to the Arctic Ocean.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 12:43:05 PM »

That trip you did put it on my bucket list of things to do.
Speaking of bucket list things and trips

What do you think about a group, Real-Man trip to the Arctic Ocean in late June next year?

I am going and I would be very open to making it a group thing. We could all meet up in Montana or wherever and start from there.

If any would be interested I can start a group discussion here in the adventure section.

For that matter, if anyone would be interested in marrying up along the route for this year's jellystone/Wyoming trip, we could talk about that...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 04:23:16 PM »
If you guys need a place to rendezvous you can use my place before heading north. I can’t make that time line but I could host for a night or two.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 06:45:31 PM »
Some insperation for you!

I would like to go back again, dont know where you going to get on the ferry but if you have time please visit Kennicott and the Kenai Peninsula is very nice.  I went all the way down to Valdez.  Please give yourself 4-6weeks or you will see most of it thru the windshield of you truck

I drove all the way from LA up and back down!  I think it was like 12K miles all said and done.

Also largest seaplane airport in the world in Anckorage and really good Wiley Post musuem in Fairbanks

Canada crossing will be fun if you have boom sticks or even if you dont, dont recommond taking the boomsticks thru Canada. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 06:57:42 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 08:02:29 PM »
Yeah. Boomsticks will be problematic sadly.
Pistols 100% no go.
AR anything 100% no go.

12 pipe likely get across but I’d check first.

Otherwise they’ll have a field day with ya.
sadly.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 08:19:51 PM »
Last time I tried, I called that stupid boom stick number for a week straight. Never got them to answer, pretty sure it was intentional.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 08:24:52 PM »

I would like to go back again, dont know where you going to get on the ferry but if you have time please visit Kennicott and the Kenai Peninsula is very nice.  I went all the way down to Valdez.  Please give yourself 4-6weeks or you will see most of it thru the windshield of you truck

I drove all the way from LA up and back down!  I think it was like 12K miles all said and done.

Also largest seaplane airport in the world in Anckorage and really good Wiley Post musuem in Fairbanks

Canada crossing will be fun if you have boom sticks or even if you dont, dont recommond taking the boomsticks thru Canada.

You sleep in the ram charger the whole trip?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 09:55:33 PM »
I started a thread about this Alaska trip in the Adventure section:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=5486.0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:56:35 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2024, 04:07:04 PM »

Yes for the most part, had a tent so somethimes in that BUT i made a deal with the wife we would stop every 4th day so she could get a hot shower and sleep in a normal bed.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2024, 04:37:10 PM »
I’m not telling mine that’s an option….  :tongue:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2024, 09:18:17 AM »

Yes for the most part, had a tent so somethimes in that BUT i made a deal with the wife we would stop every 4th day so she could get a hot shower and sleep in a normal bed.
Phil, You up for a return voyage?
Maybe fly the Trojan up for a route recon, and, maybe park a few Starlink sats overhead for dedicated commo??? ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal