Hello Guest

Author Topic: HMMV Trailer project  (Read 19832 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
HMMV Trailer project
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
Introducing the final part of the SquareD survival system. This surplus Army HMMV trailer will someday house a camper or have something constructed on it that will afford emergency living quarters.

I like the HMMV trailer, M1101, because of it's incredible ground clearance, aluminum construction, and incredibly robust construction. It will require very little conversion to be ready for use. It may be as simple as sliding in a camper unit and filling the cavities in this massive trailer with cans of water, fuel, batteries, and whatever.

Anyway here it is on the day it was delivered to my house, 4 Jan 2015
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HMMV Trailer project
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
Couple more views

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
I'll probably relocate this fuel can rack and replace it with a water tank

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
Data plate...

Should be able to carry a ton of camper, water, generator, and stuff, pretty easily

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
It has a hand-brake for each wheel

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »
Same tire/wheel as SquareD currently wears. 37" GoodYears. I'll get a couple spares and recenter those wheels same as those on SquareD

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
I love the simple taillight design. Same one used for decades!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
Aluminum tailgate is feather light!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
Cargo compartment is cavenerous. I think it is 6' X 7.5'

I'm thinking it should take an 8' camper with just a little overhang.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:50:10 AM by Flyin6 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
I looked at slide-ins earlier. I like the Four-Wheel campers. They have welded aluminum frames with a bunch of cool features and options. Here's the "Granby", their 8' model which is likely the very one I would purchase if I decided to go that route.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Did they give you the -10 & -20 manuals to go with that?  If not send me the NSN and I can get them for yah if you cant find them.

by the way nice score.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
Negative Nate  No TM's

I paid $1000 for it

Could have gotten one cheaper, but for the condition of this one...no dents at all...that's good enough for me
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:36:11 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »
I like this.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
Cool, just shoot me the NSN if you need me to source the TM's for yah.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:52:02 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
Very sweet score! that one looks super clean.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
It only suffers from some moldy/mossy looking stuff that was growing on it in places. The bumper markings showed it issued to an infantry battalion, but it was a Head Quarters company vehicle. The HQ units are only used to move once in awhile and remain dormant most of their lives. I have to wonder because the tires show some wear, about 25%-30% I'd say, but the paint in the bed is hardly even scuffed. Makes me wonder if someone swapped the tires on this trailer with their worn ones on a HMMV before they turned it in??? I mean it hardly looks used at all.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:35:05 AM »
It only suffers from some moldy/mossy looking stuff that was growing on it in places. The bumper markings showed it issued to an infantry battalion, but it was a Head Quarters company vehicle. The HQ units are only used to move once in awhile and remain dormant most of their lives.

This trailer is HQ5T which translates into Headquarters of the whole battalion (Otherwise it would say HHC for Headquarters and headquarters Company) vehicle number 5 and it is a trailer. Now the #5 designation is important because HQ6 is the commanders vehicle. The commander in this case is a Lieutenant Colonel who commands the entire battalion. The #5 trailer is linked to the #6 HMMV. This is important because the Bn. Commander does not drive around a lot and particularly not while pulling a trailer. This vehicle was included in the plan for his unit's equipment in the event his battalion was ordered to move, like Patton's Army in pursuit of the Nazis some years ago. However in the Iraqi and Afghani contexts, this commander and his unit would have driven to a FOB (Forward Operating Base) and remained there for the entirety of their rotation in the combat area. All that means that although the trailer might have been in service for 10 years or more, it was only ever parked in some motorpool for 99.9% of its time.

I have to wonder because the tires show some wear, about 25%-30% I'd say, but the paint in the bed is hardly even scuffed. Makes me wonder if someone swapped the tires on this trailer with their worn ones on a HMMV before they turned it in??? I mean it hardly looks used at all.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
5 would be the designation for the Battalion Executive Officer or XO.  Meaning he is the second in command.

1-26IN was part of 3rd BDE, 1ID, stationed at Fort Knox, KY.  If my time line is correct, that BDE was just de-activated.  The HQof the 1st Infantry Division is back at Fort Riley, KS.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 08:09:05 AM »
5 would be the designation for the Battalion Executive Officer or XO.  Meaning he is the second in command.

1-26IN was part of 3rd BDE, 1ID, stationed at Fort Knox, KY.  If my time line is correct, that BDE was just de-activated.  The HQof the 1st Infantry Division is back at Fort Riley, KS.
Nate, I know "5" is the XO
But that is the vehicle number
But this is a trailer
So correct me if I'm wrong but there is not a HQ5 and a HQ5T, correct? Only one HQ5 designation...

And the Ft. Knox thing makes sense
The guy I purchased it from lives in Ohio and probably would have purchased from DRMO (Mil Sales) at Knox or maybe Wright Patterson AFB. Oddly enough the trailer has an Arizona certificate of orgin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:12:11 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:17 AM »
Nate, I know "5" is the XO
But that is the vehicle number
But this is a trailer
So correct me if I'm wrong but there is not a HQ5 and a HQ5T, correct? Only one HQ5 designation...

That trailer belonged to HQ truck 5.

HQ - Headquarters
5 - Truck number
T - Trailer

I'm going to guess the supply section owned it, but never used it much.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
Yeah there is a "T" designation along with R for radio, G for generator, etc.  It all came about because of the new maint program for tracking all equipment with in the unit, post, army, etc.  Basically TAMMS & ULLS have gone away and is now known as GCSS-Army (they are trying to make all these programs standardized across all branches of the military).

basically every thing to make a platform complete is grouped and numbered together.

Or another way to put it would be: a hmmwv is a Major End Item (class 7), and all of the Basic Issue Items are considered sub-components of the End Item.

here is a link that explains the new system.  http://www.gcss.army.mil/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
OK, thanks for the clarification
That is a change from TO&E days and older systems that were in place when I was soldiering

So, XO's trailer which was probably owned and used by supply. Makes sense!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
That's a nice trailer, nice addition!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
Nice pick up Don,  not a bad price either.  2000# carrying weight is probably under valued for sure.

I may have to look out for one of those.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 09:32:29 PM »
$1000 is a steal for that Don.  Nice job.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
Nice pick up Don,  not a bad price either.  2000# carrying weight is probably under valued for sure.

I may have to look out for one of those.
They can be had for less. If you are plugged into surplus sales, or a local military DRMO office you can bid on these things. $500-$800 should readily fetch one

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »
Cool addition to your "system" & I look forward to the mods. to come!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »

Just dug this up:

M1101 & M1102 Light Tactical Trailer

The Light Tactical Trailer for general cargo is designated by two model numbers, the M1101 and M1102, depending on its loading by weight. That is, there is no physical difference between the M1101 and the M1102 models, other than the dataplate. The two model numbers are used to regulate the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), based solely on the vehicle towing the trailer.

For example, when the GVW does not exceed 3,400 pounds (1542 kg) the M1101 cargo trailer can be towed by a HMMWV M998/M1038 series prime mover. Both the M1101 and the M1102 trailer models can be towed by a HMMWV M1097/M1114 series in accordance with the identification plate. Due to the numerous model differences, for military use operators must refer to TM 9-2330-392-14&P to determine towing authorization for the M1101 and M1102 for the specific set of circumstances.

Light Tactical Trailer (LTT) M1101 & M1102 Description

The Light Tactical Trailer M1101 or M1102 is a single axle, two wheel trailer designed to be towed by a HMMWV towing vehicle. The high ground clearance trailer consists of a cargo box mounted on the Light Tactical Trailer Chassis. The nomenclature and NSNs are:
•Trailer, Cargo: 2-Wheel, Light M1101 (NSN 2330-01-387-5443)
•Trailer, Cargo: 2-Wheel, Heavy M1102 (NSN 2330-01-387-5426)

M1101 Light Tactical Trailer (LTT) dataplate
M1101 Light Tactical Trailer (LTT) dataplate.

The M1101 and M1102 trailers have the same tires, wheels, and track width as the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV).

A hand-brake lever and cable assembly located on each side of the trailer activate a service brake at each wheel. Control of each service brake is independent. In addition to handbrake-activated service brakes, the trailers are equipped with an inertia-actuated hydraulic brake system (surge brakes). The trailer suspension consists of one shock absorber on each end of the axle. Two stabilizers, stored in the front and installed in the rear, provide stability during loading or unloading cargo while the trailer is not coupled to a towing vehicle. A rear tail gate drops down to assist loading.

The only difference between the M1101 and the M1102 trailers is the model information and payload capacity stated on the dataplate.

Trailer, Light Tactical, Marine Corps Chassis, M1102 LTT-MCC. The M1102 LTT-MCC is a single axle, two wheeled chassis trailer, designed to meet the needs of the USMC. It is equipped with a solid flat bed with pre-drilled holes designed to secure various pieces of power generation, lighting, environmental control units, and general-purpose equipment. The M1102 LTTMCC is designed to be towed behind the HMMWV on all types of roads, cross-country terrain, and in all weather conditions.

As part of Pacific Reach 2010, Soldiers and civilians offload cargo and equipment from the US Army Vessel Broad Run, Ito City, Japan, 31 August 2010. Visible: HMMWV with M1101 / M1102 Light Tactical Trailer leads an FMTV 2 1/2-ton 4x4 cargo truck.

M150/M151 Mortar Fire Control System - Dismounted (MFCS-D), Picatinny Arsenal, NJ, circa Dec 2011. MFCS-D is fielded with the M326 Mortar Stowage Kit that uses a hydraulic lift to remove the entire mortar system from the trailer and place the entire mortar system on the ground in less than a minute. MFCS-D components and Mortar Stowage Kit sit inside a M1101 trailer towed with a HMMWV.

Light Tactical Trailer (LTT) M1101 & M1102 Characteristics

Maximum Vehicle Weight M1101: 3400 lb (1542 kg)
M1102: 4200 lb (1905 kg)
Curb Weight 1460 lb ( 662 kg)
Maximum Payload Capacity M1101: 1940 lb (880 kg)
M1102: 2740 lb (1243 kg)
Hull Unitized body construction using aircraft grade aluminum and chromoly steel
Overall Length 132 inches (335cm)
Overall Width 85.6 inches (217 cm)
Overall Height 52.5 inches (133 cm)
Overall Height w/Soft Top Kit 99.5 inches (253 cm)
Track Width 72.5 inches (184 cm)
Drawbar Length 93.2 inches (237 cm) (from axle center to eye center)
Drawbar Eye Height 29.5 inches (75 cm)
Deck Height 34.5 inches (88 cm)
Ground Clearance (Laden) 16 inches (41 cm)
Suspension Type Fully independent progressive rate trailing arm suspension
Axle Tubular steel
Spring Media Progressive rate torselastic rubber chords
Shock Absorbers Telescopic, direct acting, one per wheel, HMMWV compatible
Wheels 16.5 X 8.25, two piece steel, HMMWV compatible, 8 on 6.5 inch bolt pattern
Tires 37X12.50R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler M/T, with 30-mile runflat inserts, HMMWV compatible
Brakes 12 inch x 2 inch free backing hydraulic surge brakes with automatic breakaway actuation. Independent lever-operated left and right side mechanical parking brakes.
Electrical System 24 Volt DC sealed lighting system with blackout convoy lights, 12 pin connector plug mates with HMMWV
Max Speed (Primary Roads) 55 mph (88 kph)
Max Speed (Secondary Roads) 35 mph (56 kph)
Max Speed (Off Road) 20 mph (32 kph)
Departure Angle 39 degrees
Turning Angle 80 degrees
Fording 60 inches (152 cm)

Offline YlwNova72

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
the only issue we run into with these trailers is with the wiring and it is mostly operator error. most of the time they push in the pins on the pigtail connector or drive with the parking brakes applied.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
the only issue we run into with these trailers is with the wiring and it is mostly operator error. most of the time they push in the pins on the pigtail connector or drive with the parking brakes applied.

Already fixed
The Armee pigtail is history. The gentleman who first owned it rewired it with a 4 pin. I am going to rewire it with a 6 pin to fit my trucks.
Nick, question: This thing has 12" X 2" hydraulic brakes. I believe those brakes are only for emergencies, as in when the trailer breaks free of the vehicle. So, how would I get brakes onto this trailer, or get these to work with an electrical system? BTW, SquareD had 12" X 2.5" brakes stock, so these trailer units are plenty stout if I can get them to function.
Might have to convert to electric brakes...

Offline YlwNova72

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
Don those brakes work both in emergencies and in normal braking situations. The pintle is free floating inside a sleeve and when brakes are applied to the vehicle the trailer will push forward towards the vehicle causing the pintle to slide into the sleeve and pushing on the hydraulic piston applying the brakes. The breakaway cable forces maximum pressure onto the brakes once pulled. It is a fool proof system that has no electronics to wear out or bias valves to freeze up. you do have to grease the sleeve annually (according to the tm) to ensure it slides properly but to be honest every 3-5 years is fine.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
...was going to say, it even mentions "surge braking" in your 100 page specification post, mr Don. haha

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
Was going to say... well... all of the above.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
OK Already!
Man...
But even though I didn't know all that, the braking feature is pretty cool. Mechanical and not electrical, how cool and ap-pro-po for the SquareD project!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Sounds perfect for sure. I didn't know that they were aluminum tho....that doesn't lend well to easy mods. Weren't the older ones steel?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Sounds perfect for sure. I didn't know that they were aluminum tho....that doesn't lend well to easy mods. Weren't the older ones steel?
Tub and sides and tailgate are aluminum. Frame is chrome-molly steel, so mods will be easy.

If I purchase something like a camper and slide it in, aluminum won't matter. If I decide to construct something, then I'll build it with a structural aluminum frame, then fill the cavities with foam boards cut to shape. In that case, I'll start with a flange on top of the existing sidewalls and grow outward from there...

But first, I need to get SquareD up and running which is still a bit of work ahead. The temptation is great to buy an aluminum mig spool gun and start framing up the trailer, but I'll resist...for now...

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
Ahhh go buy the spool gun! I want to see how it welds with your 212.  8)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
Ahhh go buy the spool gun! I want to see how it welds with your 212.  8)
I'm always tempted to get one!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
I have issues welding with a spool gun.....just trying to get the temp just right for the thickness of metal, and then aluminum has to be spotless, or it turns into meteorite looking welds.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:07 AM »
I just found some for $800 about 6 hours form here. I am really thinking as this thing is nice and I could donate my homebuilt to the cub scout pack!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal