Hello Guest

Author Topic: Camera Platforms, what works, what you can afford and there is no limit.  (Read 1268 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Just came back from the AMA 2015 expo in Ontario, Ca. Was a fun weekend with the guys. Drank some shine, played with toys and worked on guns.

Anyway the big thing the last couple years has been "quads" which are basically a 4 rotor helicopter that is very stable. Drawbacks are the smaller ones don't like wind at all and the bigger ones cost $$$$ to the point of being scary. The larger ones have as many as 6 rotors (all located on booms) and some have dual motors so there is some redundancy if a motor goes out (rare). 

One that really caught my eye was the Syma X5. It is just a small quad but has a camera that shoots 720 video and pics, but they must be downloaded after you land. However for something well under $100 it does what it should.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-X5C-Channel-2-4GHz-Explorers/dp/B00KI03U8Q

There there are the slightly bigger quads and the price is in the mid $100s up to about 1k. Now these have much more support (aka-parts) better video and many have GPS and FPV (first person viewing) which means real time video.

The big one here is the Blade 350 QX3 from Horizon Hobbies; http://www.horizonhobby.com/350-qx3-ap-combo-rtf-with-safe-technology-blh8160?clickpath=homepage_rotator1_01052015

This will return to home with GPS but you have to fly this all the time. It does however transmit realtime video and pictures. Here is a link to video of one of them flying; https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4BskKD2tUg0 (yes I am there wearing a red shirt)

Then for a few $$ more you can step up to the Typhoon 500; http://www.horizonhobby.com/q500-typhoon-rtf-with-cgo2-gb-camera-p-yunq500rtfus
This has the same video options BUT you can set waypoints and it will fly hands off with presets and waypoints. However at this time you must set your waypoints buy flying to them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:35:13 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Platforms, what works, what you can afford and there is no limit.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
Unbelievable technology for the money

How much flight time on a battery charge?

How long to recharge?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:44:01 AM »
Figure around 30 minutes is about the average but it gets better all the time. Charge time is about 1/2 hour for good battery life. That is for a 60-75% drained battery.

I have to dig up a little more info for you, but I did find what you want. IE; fly from point A to set distance while you control the live video or just record for return. Monitors are built in or can be a tablet so channeling inside the vehicle should be a breeze.

Most of these have a camera on a gyro stabilized gimbal and some even have retracting skids for 360 views.

Basics with good cameras are just around $1000 and the high end is $2000. Some have dedicated cameras but the gopro is on many of them.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
Figure around 30 minutes is about the average but it gets better all the time. Charge time is about 1/2 hour for good battery life. That is for a 60-75% drained battery.

I have to dig up a little more info for you, but I did find what you want. IE; fly from point A to set distance while you control the live video or just record for return. Monitors are built in or can be a tablet so channeling inside the vehicle should be a breeze.

Most of these have a camera on a gyro stabilized gimbal and some even have retracting skids for 360 views.

Basics with good cameras are just around $1000 and the high end is $2000. Some have dedicated cameras but the gopro is on many of them.

All of that sounds great.

I think I'll be a player on some well thought out system in awhile
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal