FOOD CORNER > Wild Game

New bird locater

<< < (5/5)

TexasRedNeck:
Congrats.  Not being facetious but how much is the dog and how much is the trainer?  I have to think I lot is the handler/trainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
Congrats Mikey!

cudakidd53:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on March 20, 2018, 05:48:16 PM ---Congrats.  Not being facetious but how much is the dog and how much is the trainer?  I have to think I lot is the handler/trainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

MOST IMPORTANT/CANT BE MANUFACTURED = DOG  These are whats referred to as All-Age dogs - running with extreme range, extreme speed and extreme purpose (find the next bird as fast as possible, as far to the front as possible)  You also cannot manufacture STYLE on point, SPEED or RANGE, that comes from an inherent desire within the dog from breeding other dogs with those traits.  You never know which puppy will have it until they start to mature.  A biddable dog makes it easier, this one is very much so.  An example of extreme range - I've lost the dog on occasion ........ as in finding the dog 1.5 miles away from where I last saw the dog, 5-10 mins. ago!

Trainer = 2nd most important.  A trainer needs to know the dog, it's tendencies from it's lineage, and how to do everything right to not destroy any of the above three qualities in caps.  You can sure ruin the style of a dog around it's game by beating on them, loosing your patience/temper or trying to move too fast.  I've got probably the best trainer in the Brittany Breed - we've become close friends as well over the last 18 years, and a recent convert to Christ.

Handler = 3rd most important;  (Don't screw up the other 2)  Half the time its the trainer handling, I handle in the Amateur Stakes and sometimes in Open when I go somewhere different than the trainer. You need to be aware of the dogs tendencies and not leave them behind by failing to gather them up/turn them when the course changes directions.  You also need to be able to read the dog around game so that you know when to twist its ear when they're looking like theyre about to come unglued and start chasing birds instead of pointing.  All-Age dogs are almost always on the edge; edge of chasing, getting lost etc.  I'm getting better for this style of dog, all my previous experience has NOT been with All-Age dogs.

cudakidd53:
Just back from the Steubenville, OH region from running Hank in another Amateur Hour Championship: We were blessed to win again!  Heading over to pull camper out of storage for this weekend; field trial in Michigan  Next week, it's hopefully the trainers turn to win with him in an hour Championship.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version