Hello Guest

Author Topic: Lance 1575  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Lance 1575
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
Well in the earlier thread, I posted up the 1995 which is a bit larger than this unit, but here is Lance's smallest offering, a camper that is just packed with quality and cool design.

Here is some of the exterior storage
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lance 1575
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
The slide out has another storage compartment here shown with the other through storage. There is a compartment in the front below the bedroom window, which can be opened

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »
The entrance

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
Inside the door is the east-west bed on the right

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
TV and entertainment center

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:38 PM »
Then comes the kitchen

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:07 PM »
Appliances of the usual quality

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:33 PM »
The bathroom is a bit small for my liking

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
It's definitely cramped in there

You have to manually extend this shower curtain rail to capture space to take a shower

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
The slide is a U-shaped dinette. It has some storage but nothing like the 1995
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:46:46 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »
One closet

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »
These windows had a neat privacy screen built in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
Looking forward and aft

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
You playing the numbers game from The Price is Right?  Seems like the green ones need to swap places! :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
If your plan is to keep the trailer you have plus this one...Maybe... If you are trading it for a smaller one I would go with the larger Lance you posted first. Much more room and inside cloths storage

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
If your plan is to keep the trailer you have plus this one...Maybe... If you are trading it for a smaller one I would go with the larger Lance you posted first. Much more room and inside cloths storage
Bob,
I am in process of making a selection and a decision. I am not purchasing anything at the moment, just feel I might need to get something more "right sized."
I am looking at all possibilities at the moment. The plan was to look into an R-pod purchase that would tow easily behind the Toureg since it only weighed some 2600 lbs. But the pod will not be large enough for anything except for an emergency, not a planned event.
So I started looking bigger being respectful of the towing limit of 7700. But now information is surfacing about what exactly, the Toureg can pull. I just discovered VW does not recommend the use of a weight distributing hitch, so the concept of pulling a longer 5700 pound trailer with a lighter 5500 lb vehicle without a weight distributing hitch seems flawed.
I might be in the "Back to the drawing board" phase.
One thing, though, is that the process I am publishing here is causing some valued discussion, and if Kyle is reading, I would urge him to post here what he mention to me in private since his points are SO valid and relevant.

Let the conversation continue!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »
Sure no prob...

Basically my brother in law has the same rig, so I've looked into this a bit. He was touting the Toureg payload to me, and being a natural skeptic, and also an RV owner I looked into it a bit.

Yes, the toureg is rated to pull 7700 lbs... But (according to the info I read) it only has a max tongue weight of 616 lbs. AND VW does not recommend use of WD hitch, due to design of hitch for vertical downward sheer forces, and not upward. Obviously a WD setup is going to put a lot of upward torque on the back of the hitch, to transfer  tongue weight forward, so that's a problem. So yes it can pull, but other limiting factors come into play before you'll ever get to an RV close to 7k lbs. especially since RV tongue weights are 10-15% of total weight.

NOW... All that said, the obvious weak point is the factory hitch. I believe there are beefier aftermarket options that folks have used... And certainly there's custom fab. But from the factory, max trailer weight is significantly less than 7.7k due to tongue weight limits.

No doubt tho, Don could make it work with some steel and sparks  8)
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 11:57:57 PM »
I can't respond to the factory hitch as I have never considered towing with the VW. If after market hitches are available to handle the additional tongue weight then the option is there if not then maybe the frame or front end is not made for the weight distribution type hitches. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
I can't respond to the factory hitch as I have never considered towing with the VW. If after market hitches are available to handle the additional tongue weight then the option is there if not then maybe the frame or front end is not made for the weight distribution type hitches. 
All valid and good points

Following the thought provoking PM, then posting from Kyle (Thanks!) I obviously need more information. I think the way to proceed would be to work my way up to a VW engineer, chassis smart guy and talk to him about this. Using the 10-15% tongue weight range I am looking at 570-855. Most of that range clearly exceeds the 616 limit that VW insists on.

The other factor being the fact they don't like things lifting the back end whilst motoring suggest frame intetrity concerns or perhaps handling issues due to way different front-rear weight distribution.

So, I have some homework to do with respect to all of this. Remember also I have a very healthy option of just using C-Max as a tow vehicle. with that truck weight? What weight? Weight-Smeight who cares? tongue weight and weight distribution is as much a concern to me as the possibility I might ever have to rely of the Reverend Al Sharpton in matters of our Lord!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
OK I have my answers

I am very disappointed to say that everything about the Toureg that VW sells this vehicle on is a lie. Touregs are really not for towing.
I spoke with VW technical support and they flatly stated that they do not recommend the Toureg tow anything. Although it can feasibly pull 7700 pounds the realistic towing weight of the vehicle is around 1650 pounds. Beyond that it needs to have a brake controller installed and at no time may you ever use a weight distributing hitch. Using a WD hitch will both render the vehicle unsafe to drive and according to VW, will actually damage the rear suspension.

So it's a big lie and that makes me pretty upset at the moment. I think my life and times with this thing are going to be short lived!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Man i really hate to hear that Don. Really sorry that it's not what you thought.

I feel bad bringing it up... but, since it's more or less a safety issue, i'm glad you got the info.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »
Man i really hate to hear that Don. Really sorry that it's not what you thought.

I feel bad bringing it up... but, since it's more or less a safety issue, i'm glad you got the info.

No feeling bad allowed, that is what this forum is about...Passing along information to help others. That was a good heads up before Don did something he shouldn't have. ;)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
^^^ Bob's exactly right. Don't feel bad, that info helped

All this did save me from a major conundrum. And now we have something else to watch and witness.

Look at the email I just sent VW America, let's see how this unfolds:

Hello,

I purchased a Toureg TDI R-line this past summer from Kerry VW in Florence, KY. I chose the VW over the other vehicle I was looking at, a Dodge 1500 with the 3.0 CRD engine. Either vehicle boasted great fuel economy and superior towing although the Dodge eclipses that of the Toureg. The decision fell to the VW in the end because of the soundness, quality, fit and finish and style of the Toureg vs the Dodge 1500.

I intended all along to use the vehicle primarily as a daily driver for myself and my family and in that capacity it has served admirably. This past week, I began researching camper trailers with an eye on one that stayed well within the 7700 pound weight restriction of the Toureg and began posting my search results. I own and manage a truck/survival forum where I was documenting the process of finding the trailer, the purchase, and later this spring, hooking it all up to the Toureg and leaving on a 6-7 week trip across America in support of my business, the web site.

One of my members contacted me advising that the Toureg only had a tongue weight allowance of 616 pounds and given that 10-15% of the trailer's weight was on the tongue, the trailers I was looking would in fact exceed the Toureg's limits!

As a result I contacted my dealership, then your customer support folks at VW America. I was told that VW does not recommend towing with any of their vehicles! WHAT??? So what about all the hype and sales pitch about being able to pull 7700 pounds?

That's when I also learned that I would need to add a brake unit to the Toureg to go above 1650 pounds of towing capacity. I asked the part number for such an item and was told VW does not manufacture such a thing!
And oddly enough, even though VW does not refer owners like myself for work outside the VW realm, I would have to go to a towing expert, in the words of your adviser to get this installed and sorted out.

I find that recommendation interesting. Know why? Well, VW also prohibits the use of a weight distributing hitch, a fact you are well aware of. Just yesterday, I went to a RV and GMC dealership to discuss towing a particular trailer with the Toureg for the planned trip. They were fascinated with the concept of the mighty little VW that could towing a camper over such distances and thought it would make for a great story as I published it nightly on my web site. They said they would configure the Toureg with a weight distributing hitch and I would be fine.

You see, a towing expert recommended I install a WD hitch. VW recommended to me today that I would have to go to a "Towing expert" By following VW's advice, I would have found myself in violation of your recommendations and placed you at peril from a legal standpoint should something have happened.

That, of course is a problem, however not my chief concern. My big "white elephant in the room" is the fact that this spendy little VW CAN NOT do the job for which it was sold and for which I purchased it for.

Gentlemen, or ladies, this is not pretty. I own a vehicle which can only do half of what I bought it for. The 7700 pound rating is highly misleading and down right deceptive. I would like to skip all the legalities and just turn the vehicle back into you. I have kept current on payments, and we can talk about the money I have spent. Using the car for this time is clearly something that incurred a cost, and for that I am obligated. However I now see this all as a breech of contract and we need to quietly put the car down and walk away. I can not use this vehicle, and I would rather do all this as civilly as possible. I hope that you can see my point and understand

Sincerely,

Donald Harward

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »
Eloquent and well thought out. Hope it plays out in a fashion that keeps both parties satisfied.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
We'll see

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
Nicely written Don- what else can one say, other than, "NUTS" !
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
I wish I could rights like you!!
...they would have to call in an interpreter to sort out my gibberish.
Good luck Big D.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
I wish I could rights like you!!
...they would have to call in an interpreter to sort out my gibberish.
Good luck Big D.
Yea me rights ah-ight!
But on this VW thing, I'm sure I'll fail miserably
Thought about it
Think I'll just give the thing to the pretty Frau and sell her newly acquired MDX (06 model) and use the cashola to buy a set of mud tires and a box of 12 gage slugs

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
Eloquent and well thought out. Hope it plays out in a fashion that keeps both parties satisfied.

Holy Smokes anybody else see this^^^^^^^^^

Bobbee wrote that. Bobbee is a grunt. Grunts don't rite nuthin'

But that was good

Is this growth we are witnessing? Can the Grunt change? Grow? Do word-smithing like that?

I think so! I think we are seeing yet another facet to this rough diamond we have with us here!

Drive on Bobby!

Rant over...CM

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
I would keep the MDX.

That's all.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
I would keep the MDX.

That's all.
No mud tires?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

Holy Smokes anybody else see this^^^^^^^^^

Bobbee wrote that. Bobbee is a grunt. Grunts don't rite nuthin'

But that was good

Is this growth we are witnessing? Can the Grunt change? Grow? Do word-smithing like that?

I think so! I think we are seeing yet another facet to this rough diamond we have with us here!

Drive on Bobby!

Rant over...CM

I can throw down the verbal gauntlet, but I don't do it much. I generally KIGS; when concerning my responses.

No mud tires?

Mud tires ON the MDX.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:57:07 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
no, sell the Vdub instead, and buy 2 sets of mud tires!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal