Hello Guest

Author Topic: RV Generator  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
RV Generator
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
I have a heavy 5500 watt Generac generator that I have been using for my RV and general camper related stuff. It sucks a lot of gas and is way noisy, up around 76db I believe.

So, knowing that I realistically need 30 Amps or 3300 watts, I began looking in and around that area.

It seems all roads lead to Honda with the 20000 iu being the industry standard. It features 2000 watts surge and 1600 watts continuous power and uses inverter technology so powering the laptop will not cause Mr. Microsoft to get the heebee-geebees.

The standard unit generally sells for around $1000, and the companion unit for $1100. You basically run two units wired in parallel with jumper cables to get you through the summer RV season since the AC takes 14-15 amps to run. During spring, fall, and winter you can probably get by with just a single unit, so having two makes for a 3 season back-up plan.

But the $2100 tip in is a bit disconcerting

Enter, stage right, The PowerHorse 2000w unit from Northern tool. On sale this week for $569, two of them (with free shipping) would account for draining the piggy bank some $1138 equaling a 46% savings!

Yee Haw, that's enough for a typical Hyundai repair, three new Toyos, a can of wax, and a pumpkin pie!

Reviews are strong and they make it in Kentucky Blue!

Here's a linky

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623983_200623983
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: RV Generator
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Two words... Eco-throttle.

Look at the EU3000 watt Honda if you need more juice for A/C and microwave, if you think you really need those things when boondocking.

Yeah spendy, buy once cry onceI say.

I'm obviously biased, so take it for what it is. But choosing Honda was the best decision I ever made for our RV'ing. So efficient and quiet.

Edit: I see the NT has similar functionality... That changes things a bit :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:31:03 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
Exactly, this Northern dog has the eco throttle as well and either one has the 30 amp locking plug.

So $2100 for two 2000W Hondas, something like $2300-$2400 for the Honda EU3000 which is rated at less than my requirement in continuous duty cycle so it doesn't even qualify.

Doing the cost/benefit line and the Honda is not even in the zone. I'll check around for anything else but I think with the 2 yr backing and mountain of sales and decent customer feedback the Northern Power Horse if the clear winner

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »
You're prob on to something... Those look like pretty nice little units, feature wise for sure. And reviews being positive says a lot for reliability and longevity. Give em a shot!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »
You're prob on to something... Those look like pretty nice little units, feature wise for sure. And reviews being positive says a lot for reliability and longevity. Give em a shot!
I think I might
Decision time
Ounce of gold
or 2 generators for the RV???

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Anything put up next to the Honda will fall short.....if not now, eventually.
Don, you buy 2 of the most expensive suvs (or Xuvs?), one of the nicest rvs I have seen, one of the nicest Chevys I've seen ....do I need to keep going? Just get the Honda(s), they will work and you will be amazed.....and you can get parts for them, not that you will need them.
You really want a china generator?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
China generator, a Chinarator?

Sorry BK, three toyos in the bank with the two blue ones!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »
Which of the ones you mentioned would be the most effective in a static remote location?

Which would have a longer service life, with less repairs necessary to facilitate frequent usage?

Which will have less strain on your resources?

Which will ensure you have constant, dependable power when you need it, in any weather?

Once you nail those requirements, then you'll have your answer. When in doubt, mission statement it out.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:19 AM »
Which of the ones you mentioned would be the most effective in a static remote location?

Which would have a longer service life, with less repairs necessary to facilitate frequent usage?

Which will ensure you have constant, dependable power when you need it, in any weather?

Once you nail those requirements, then you'll have your answer. When in doubt, mission statement it out.

Which one can you paint Kentucky Blue if you don't like Ohio State Red?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »

Which one can you paint Kentucky Blue if you don't like Ohio State Red?
Now you went and did it

Made the decision all that much easier!

We don't care for Red very much around here...any more than we might be Rootin' for them bares yu'all have roamin' around the woods of Chicago...

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »
My Honda has giant UW Husky decals on it... Just sayin!
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
My Honda has giant UW Husky decals on it... Just sayin!
My oldest son's wife graduated from UW

She has sent me one of those Malamute sweatshirts

They live close to you.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
My whole family is UW alum... I did Pacific Lutheran undergrad, but am just a couple quarters away from finishing my masters from UW.
NRA Life Member

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
So, I'm late to the party... and I'm Honda EU2000i fan. I love the thing, put in a gallon of fuel and it runs for like 33 days straight.

Did you go with the Power House? How are they doing?
2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
Well, I purchased another ounce of the shiny stuff

Still no "Cute" sized generator for me, except that HF chinaman thing that doesn't run!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »

Two words... Eco-throttle.

Look at the EU3000 watt Honda if you need more juice for A/C and microwave, if you think you really need those things when boondocking.

Yeah spendy, buy once cry onceI say.

I'm obviously biased, so take it for what it is. But choosing Honda was the best decision I ever made for our RV'ing. So efficient and quiet.

Edit: I see the NT has similar functionality... That changes things a bit :)

I know I'm late but my work uses the EU2000s quite a bit. I know they will take being literally thrown into a pickup bed daily.  Crazy tough units.  We've done more impromptu torture tests of things than consumer reports.    Dad being a superintendent "acquired" two of these after a job with the parallel kit.  He used it in a small camper when they went out to the hills with friends.  He ended up getting an EU3000 and mounting it on the tongue of his camper. Another fantastic unit but it is pretty darn heavy. 

Just my .02 in case anyone finds this and is still looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
Good move, reactivating this subject

Getting into the cold weather camping/hunting season

When folks start thinking generators...at least I do

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »
So I was in at my Evenrude/Honda dealer awhile back.
My EU2000 has a gazillion hours on it, and asked them about this fact and should I be thinking of a fresh standby. The Salesperson, said she'd never seen one come in for motor troubles. Just change the oil and they last forever. This is a family run business that I've dealt with throughout the years and I guess if a salesperson isn't oushing a new one when you ask they just might be that good.

The reality of mine is 2-300 hours a month of run time for the past three years, plus previous owners use, it came with cabin.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
So I was in at my Evenrude/Honda dealer awhile back.
My EU2000 has a gazillion hours on it, and asked them about this fact and should I be thinking of a fresh standby. The Salesperson, said she'd never seen one come in for motor troubles. Just change the oil and they last forever. This is a family run business that I've dealt with throughout the years and I guess if a salesperson isn't oushing a new one when you ask they just might be that good.

The reality of mine is 2-300 hours a month of run time for the past three years, plus previous owners use, it came with cabin.
Wow, that's a lot of use!
So that 2K carries your cabin in the winter?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
Yes, but bare in mind it's off grid. Meaning 13.3 amp generator is all of our power.
Fridge and stove are propane, wood heat, so it runs lights, fans and battery charger.
As well one of vacuum or microwave when needed.

Yeah, it just goes and goes. Dunno, but this is why some things I just go for Honda.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
I bet the eco-throttle plays a big role in the longevity of the little units... basically just high-idles for hours on end, very little load on the motor.

When we're tailgating, i flip the RV over to Propane fridge and waterheater, so the generator is really just running TV's, lights, my little outdoor beer fridge (which is AC only) and the occasional crock pot. Barely above idle.

I just lock it to the rear bumper, and she purrs away for 6-7 hrs at a time, doesn't even burn a full tank of fuel. Oh yeah, that's Mrs. Dawg ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:27:49 PM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
kyle, it looks like somebody puked purple all over your stuff..........purple stains and is hard to get out.........
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
kyle, it looks like somebody puked purple all over your stuff..........purple stains and is hard to get out.........

Dem's fightin' words
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
Must be a Ravens fan!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
I had a "clone" of the Honda 1000 that was 1/2 the price. Ran great but after 6 months only ran with the choke on, so I sold it.

I like the 2000 and the generacs are about $500 at costco. The generac in my rv sure runs good.

Also have a 5000/7500 backup for the house. Troybuilt with a briggs motor. Normally starts on one pull.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »

Dem's fightin' words

I got your back, but I have a feeling Nate might whup us both, then throw some horrible combination of crimson and green/yellow on us
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
LOL
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 08:50:51 PM »
I could deal (painfully) with him bein a coug.... But nobody in this fine group of fellas deserves the shame of being a duck fan

NRA Life Member

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
I could deal (painfully) with him bein a coug.... But nobody in this fine group of fellas deserves the shame of being a duck fan

CAN'T STAND THE DUCKS!  Bunch of over-paid (paid in the sense that they get all that Nike stuff from Phil Knight) pompous a**es...  I typically root for the underdog anyway, so that's OSU for me (Oregon that is, not Ohio or OK).
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »
In my right mind I wouldn't even consider THINKING of the ducks, let alone reference them intentionally. I was referring to his Packers, not the quackers.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
Do they make propane conversion kits for those Honda doodads? I think that would be handy to run off of to keep from lugging around two (three) fuel sources.

I just bought a 22k generac. Doesn't fit on a camper tongue though... :(

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »
Do they make propane conversion kits for those Honda doodads? I think that would be handy to run off of to keep from lugging around two (three) fuel sources.

I just bought a 22k generac. Doesn't fit on a camper tongue though... :(

22K!!!!!!
Biggin'

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »
He needs it to power up that Grand hotel of his.
Speaking of which, we haven't seen any pics of it lately. How's it lookin Blaine?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
He needs it to power up that Grand hotel of his.
Speaking of which, we haven't seen any pics of it lately. How's it lookin Blaine?

Probably so good he's going dark for fear of a crew of D.O.T.s checking in!  ;D

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 11:55:20 PM »
Is that 22 a diesel or gas? Pretty sure there are kits for most gassers for propane, maybe NG too.

Yep, hows the hotel, getting close to check in??

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »
Is that 22 a diesel or gas? Pretty sure there are kits for most gassers for propane, maybe NG too.

Yep, hows the hotel, getting close to check in??
I'm betting it's natural gas or propane

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
If the Casa de Blaine is where I think it is, propane as they're not too many "subdivision" type developments outside of "cities" in MO/KS.......and from previous photo's his neighbors are outta hunting rifle range........unless they insulated with sand too.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
22K sucks a lot of propane.  Like 3 gal/hour, IIRC.  Gonna need a big tank....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
Diesel would be smart.

Quiet, sips fuel (make your fuel) fuel works in the truck and is good for making other things burn for a long time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 06:26:39 PM »
Many RVs use diesel as they have to run gen sets even when on the road to run all three AC units en route.  They are plumbed to the main tank.

I really like diesel for a number of reasons.  The chemistry of diesel is unmistakable.  There is simply more energy available in a pound of diesel than gasoline, propane or natural gas.  Problems are storage of fuel and weight if its portable.

I'm still on the fence about my BU gen needs out in the country.  No nat gas available.  I've given up on investing in a nat gas gen here at home, choosing instead to relocate to the country place if necessary.  Much lower cost to operate since it has  1/3rd the square footage of my city house and the ability to run a small gen set, say 10K, for a much longer period of time

So for me its either propane, gasoline or diesel.  Gas is out, so I'll likely end up with both a diesel and propane gen set.  Diesel unless its not available then draw off the propane tank.

Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEP-831A-Military-Diesel-Generator-Survival-Tactical-Quiet-Retreat-Power-Hunting-/262006996725

Not exactly going to toss it in the back of the truck but at 300lbs, it is portable.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:32:26 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »
I LIKE THAT! only one left...wanna flip for it?

The little tractor I just sold had a 3 cyl 15 or 16 hp yanmar....it's a pretty decent diesel, and barely sipped any fuel. If you had a hitch cherry picker, it would be fairly easy to load by yourself.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
Dont you have a 6BT you have to figure out what to do with first??

I'd love to have it but I'm already in the dog house and have other projects on tap...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
Don't wanna talk about it.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
Get the diesel gen and friend someone like Norm so you can drive over with a 250gal tank and fill it up. Our just fill and transfer in your spare max tank. Just don't get caught with red diesel in a vehicle! Think Norm said he just paid $1.50 gallon sometime back. Might be worth looking into that. Don could do that for his spread too. Then if SHTF who cares what color your fuel is!!!!!

OK Ken, I'll bite. What happen?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:36 PM »
Long story.
Short version: I know a guy that may have misdiagnosed a seized engine (6bt), ordered up a used one for about 3k delivered, then found out it was the trans. It took out the main bearings from all of the forward pressure, been waiting on crank kit for over 2 weeks, got crank today....no bearings in the box. Not a profitable way of doing business and that guy still feels like an idiot. Rookie mistake by a not so rookie guy.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 12:38:35 AM »
I have an idea.....

https://youtu.be/iwuZ6nfZJcs

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
It's propane or NG. I'm burying two 1000 gallon tanks. I can stock up during the summer. No pics lately because not too much big has happened on the outside. Most of the work is happening on the inside. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, building arches, setting beams, etc.. They have just about finished trimming the outside and we dug a water line and began leveling the yard to grade. I'll get some new pics up prolly when they get it sided! Even at 22k, it's not big enough to power the whole house. Just necessary items a, bathroom on each floor, main rooms and a bedroom, also appliances, and HVAC, fireplace blower.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »
Many RVs use diesel as they have to run gen sets even when on the road to run all three AC units en route.  They are plumbed to the main tank.

I really like diesel for a number of reasons.  The chemistry of diesel is unmistakable.  There is simply more energy available in a pound of diesel than gasoline, propane or natural gas.  Problems are storage of fuel and weight if its portable.

I'm still on the fence about my BU gen needs out in the country.  No nat gas available.  I've given up on investing in a nat gas gen here at home, choosing instead to relocate to the country place if necessary.  Much lower cost to operate since it has  1/3rd the square footage of my city house and the ability to run a small gen set, say 10K, for a much longer period of time

So for me its either propane, gasoline or diesel.  Gas is out, so I'll likely end up with both a diesel and propane gen set.  Diesel unless its not available then draw off the propane tank.

Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEP-831A-Military-Diesel-Generator-Survival-Tactical-Quiet-Retreat-Power-Hunting-/262006996725

Not exactly going to toss it in the back of the truck but at 300lbs, it is portable.

RUN away from that generator!!!!!!  Those 3k's are the biggest pieces of garbage and are constantly broke because they blow the main ecm.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
Like he said.^^^^  They are quiet.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
22k won't run the house????

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal