Hello Guest

Author Topic: Do not buy a Volkswagon!  (Read 14575 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Do not buy a Volkswagon!
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Many of you are aware of the issue that has developed with respect to my 2014 TDI Toureg

Volkswagen advertises this vehicle as being able to tow 7700 lbs which considering the vehicles great fuel mileage makes it a possible class leading tow vehicle. Those claims are, however false.

The TDI Toureg with it's abundant 400+ ft lbs of diesel torque can only tow 1650 pounds! If you add the weight of your lawn mower stacked on top of a smallish trailer, you are at or are exceeding that limit.

Now the Toureg can be made to reach it's full 7700 lb potential with the addition of some aftermarket electric brake device which we are all familiar with. VW, will, however, in the same breath tell you that they do not recommend any aftermarket parts or installer be used for the Toureg.

Did you hear that? You have to add a part, but you can't add the part! When I was talking to VW about all this, I asked them for the VW part number for the part that they would approve. Well, there is no such part. So basically the 7700 lbs towing figure is never actually intended to be used.

The representative I spoke with, Eric Wodowski, a very polite gentleman said that of course the Toureg was meant to tow, it is equipped with a tow package, but he acknowledged the discrepancies between actual towing capabilities and what is advertised.

I asked VW to take the Toureg back or offer some compensation since 50% of the reason I purchased the oureg I now find out that it can't actually do. The 7700 pound tow rating is nothing short of false advertising.

I'll publish more on this as the story develops. I am going to contact the DOT, Better business bureau, and any other civil and government groups I can to get some help and I will post the story as it develops.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: Do not buy a Volkswagon!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
 :(  :'( Sorry you have to go through this Don. Sounds like a new rig for your wife.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
Obviously the VW crowd was addressing the obesity problem in the US and just designed it to tow 5 obese adults and their picnic basket........
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »
Keep us updated. While adding a brake controller is pretty standard to have to do (not so much i new vehicles i gather), the kicker is really the tongue weight and inability to use a weight distribution hitch. Just really poor form on VW's part.

This one hits home too... My brother and sister in law traded in their F150 and their Subaru and consolidated down to the diesel Toureg, partly because of it's "towing ability" despite being a small SUV... I became aware of this information, and was dreading the conversation with them too. However, before they bought anything substantial to tow with it above their small utility trailer, life threw them a curve in the form of a 3rd kiddo and they had to get a mini-van.

Hope this works out for you Don. I've been very anti-VW for a long time... This is just further fuel for me.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
.......Hope this works out for you Don. I've been very anti-VW for a long time... This is just further fuel for me.

You and me both. Their quality has fallen off the deep end in the last decade, and I despise working on them....they remind me of the old, oil leaking, Renault Alliances that won "Car of the Year" back when.
rant over
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
I was going to ask you if you ever heard back from the letter you sent them.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
.......Hope this works out for you Don. I've been very anti-VW for a long time... This is just further fuel for me.

You and me both. Their quality has fallen off the deep end in the last decade, and I despise working on them....they remind me of the old, oil leaking, Renault Alliances that won "Car of the Year" back when.
rant over

Darn Ken, that is going back in time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
I have contacted the Attorney General of Kentucky.

I believe that first VW is engaging in deceptive or false advertising.

Secondly I am raising a safety concern. How many Toureg owners out there falsely believe they are safe towing their 6K camper or boat? None of them are safe according to VW. Perhaps They/I will elevate it to DOT, the feds to do an enquiry.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »

rant over

oh that's harsh, Ken!  I spit coffee out my nose when I read that...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »
That blows Don. If they don't take it back or comp you big time you should get get a nice "class action" suit started.

Heck, do you local stations that scam stuff. Imagine if that got into the national scene.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
Glad you discovered all this before buying another camper based upon those erroneous parameters.  Will you be looking towards the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel p/u to replace the Turdreg?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
Glad you discovered all this before buying another camper based upon those erroneous parameters.  Will you be looking towards the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel p/u to replace the Turdreg?
I don't know...
I don't like taking the hit from a new vehicle purchase. Only works out if you actually keep it. Planned to run the Toureg out, then let the pre-rangers wear it out some more.
I need to win this thing with VW to come out.
I could still entertain a smaller Lance pulled by C-Max for event travel, but the mileage of the D-Max is no where near the VW.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
I don't know...
I don't like taking the hit from a new vehicle purchase. Only works out if you actually keep it. Planned to run the Toureg out, then let the pre-rangers wear it out some more.
I could still entertain a smaller Lance pulled by C-Max for event travel, but the mileage of the D-Max is no where near the VW.

Couldn't you sell the VW? Not like you've abused it and neglected the required maintenance. It might help offset the pain of a new vehicle purchase.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
I don't know...

Couldn't you sell the VW? Not like you've abused it and neglected the required maintenance. It might help offset the pain of a new vehicle purchase.
Well, I could, but getting a good price for it on the used car market would show me a 10K loss!

That's way too much pain to endure.

I win this thing with VW or I'm stuck. But I think I will bring the full weight of the consequences of this false advertising down on them. Oddly enough I happen to be meeting with a huge law firm this week for a class action suit...not VW related. They are a big firm. They like to take down big things.

The way I see it, VW has and is jeopardizing the safety of thousands of owners who are under the misconception that they can safely tow 7700 lbs. I have a great deal of mileage on this one. There are agencies on top of agencies to contact yet

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »
Don, anything happening with the VW group

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
Don, anything happening with the VW group
Yes quite a bit actually

I made a case with the Kentucky state attorney

They sent the obligatory letters and even the dealership is washing their hands of it.

So far everyone concedes that the Toureg can not do what VW says it can without being unsafe, causing vehicle damage, and exceeding factory limitations.

I like it otherwise so the way I think I'll frame this up is to figure out what percentage of the vehicle mileage I would have spent towing. That will represent a percentage. I'll use that percentage against the price I paid. I believe they should refund me that amount, and we can walk away from it. Me using that extra money on fuel, wear and tear, and tires for the Duramax which will now have to be pressed into service pulling the little camper.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
If you haven't bought the little trailer yet, do you really need it since the VW won't tow it. Just keep pulling the larger trailer with the Duramax. More room for the family and the truck won't care at all.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:56:02 AM »
No little camper means, more truck parts, which means more build thread!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:42 AM »
Update? Potentially looking for new ride....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
Update? Potentially looking for new ride....

In process
Talking to the attorney General for Kentucky
Awaiting response from VW
I have offered they refund 1/3rd the price of the vehicle to me to cover for the third of it's intended useage I don't have or simply give me a refund and take back the thing, their choice.
It's a process...
Hello Shawn...good to see ya droppin' in!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
Busy, sorry to not be keepin up on my DOT responsibilities........

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
Busy, sorry to not be keepin up on my DOT responsibilities........

Don't be that guy
Always remember: Don't DOT

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »
Any update? 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
Any update? 
The dealership has been found to be not at fault, a finding I agree with.

Clearly VW of America has tried to pull a fast one on the American public. I wrote the State's attorney's office about my feelings concerning the deception and the unsafe condition for which VW is still advertising.

They have written VW America. VW of America has written back to say that they are looking into the matter.

If this gets elevated to a national stage VW might have to recall all Toureg or face a class action which I would sponsor.

In my view, 1/3rd of the reason I purchased the Toureg in lieu of a Dodge 1500 eco diesel was to drag a trailer around to conferences, shows, meetings and talks on behalf of Real Man. Since I can't do that, but in sharp contrast, the Toureg is one of the best SUV's made and a wonderful car to drive to church and places, I have no problem in keeping it. However VW should refund me 1/3 the price of the vehicle, or just take it back and refund me all my money, their choice. I have offered that through the states attorney office

We are waiting...

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
Progress, no matter the size or speed, is still progress.  Thanks and keep it up.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
Update 06112015

VW America sent a letter to the state attorney of KY stating the vehicle can tow 7700 lbs. I protested that and am asking the states attorney if they agree that there is a case for false advertising.

With respect to the safety issue, I have elevated the issue/complaint to the federal level. The first call was to the US Department of transportation, vehicle safety. After chatting for some time, I was referred to an investigative arm of that agency. We are currently exchanging facts and framing up this situation.

A Toureg can clearly not tow the weight they advertise it can, so in the interim, until we maybe get a national recall, if you know a VW Toureg owner please advise them of this so that they do not attempt to tow anything. Feel free to point them back to me, as I will now serve as the spokesperson for this "Case" if it gets going.

I still have letters to send to my congressmen, who will not help and my senators who probably won't either, and the Governor of my state.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:47 PM »
Sadly Don, no one in the media cares until someone dies.  If you can find someone that has dies or been maimed as a result of the safety issues you cite, then and only then will the media and your elected representative take note
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
Sadly Don, no one in the media cares until someone dies.  If you can find someone that has dies or been maimed as a result of the safety issues you cite, then and only then will the media and your elected representative take note
I'll report this and get it off my conscience
I have found my state government to be pretty much no help what so ever
Same for my congressman. When I had that tussle with the IRS, my congressman was so locked down in rule following that they couldn't do anything. I had to do all the groundwork myself and took care of the thing totally by myself.
The Kentucky Attorney general's office simply passed me off, it is my belief that they really don't want to help.
Concerning government, folks, I believe we are really on our own against a fat, diseased, uncaring leviathan that is not coming to help anytime soon.

Thought to consider. Times are relatively good right now and we get little help from our very costly governments. How do you think things will go if there is a major calamity?

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
They will surround themselves with police and military personnel for security and issue orders to ensure there own comfort while limiting/eliminating your freedoms in the process.  All in the name of "providing for our welfare."  I know I am preaching to the choir but I had to rant.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
If you're drinkin' quoffee while writing that it could be qualified as CIEMR material!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
As a matter of fact, I was.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
As a matter of fact, I was.
Well, in that case you might have to post a demerit for postin' in the wrong area... ;-))

This chat stuff is pretty silly...especially for us soldiers

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Wilco.  You should see what I posted in the Gun Quote thread.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
Doesn't the NTSB list accidents and break it down to the vehicle? At least you could see then if there are towing issues reported so either the press or some official may look at
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 09:42:01 PM »
Doesn't the NTSB list accidents and break it down to the vehicle? At least you could see then if there are towing issues reported so either the press or some official may look at
I'm currently in the office of the DOT called "Import Certification" Bunch of engineer types. Talking to them on the phone, I could tell they were doing the math and it wasn't addin' up.

I'll work with these folks and see what shakes out

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
If you want to reach out to people towing or planning to tow with the Toureg, on RV.Net forums, send me a PM and I will send you my username and password. Or sign up for your own account. There is a section on tow vehicles or maybe one of the other sections you think would be a better fit.   I would post it for you but if you post it you already know what to write.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »
I'll report this and get it off my conscience
I have found my state government to be pretty much no help what so ever
Same for my congressman. When I had that tussle with the IRS, my congressman was so locked down in rule following that they couldn't do anything. I had to do all the groundwork myself and took care of the thing totally by myself.
The Kentucky Attorney general's office simply passed me off, it is my belief that they really don't want to help.
Concerning government, folks, I believe we are really on our own against a fat, diseased, uncaring leviathan that is not coming to help anytime soon.

Thought to consider. Times are relatively good right now and we get little help from our very costly governments. How do you think things will go if there is a major calamity?

Play to their fears, Don.  Let them know that their inaction on an issue of public safety has been documented and should you uncover deaths due to this issue that you will make sure that every media outlet knows that they failed to act to protect the public which they were elected to serve.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
Don, any update on the VW?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:13 PM »
Don, any update on the VW?
Yes,

Apparently our Toureg fell into the EPA funny business list.

As such VW initially has offered us a placebo of a $500 debit card and  $500 credit for service at the stealership.

They are leaving the door open for repair, arbitration and or buying back the vehicle. We will take door numba three. My plan would then be to get her a Merc and call it a day.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
yeah I would rather have a Merc-Ury as well. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
My plan would then be to get her a Merc and call it a day.

Can't go wrong with a Mercury... you thinkin Grand Marquis?  ;D ;D
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »
get her a Merc and

And cruise it up and down the road?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Now with ah four barrel carb

and dual exhaust

and four- eleven gears

you can really get lost!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:43:09 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »
Crazy 'bout a Mercury...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
Not sure I'm down with the mercury.  I would rock an explorer sport

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »
Merc = Mercedes

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 07:35:56 AM »
Oh.  Gotcha.  durn piluts gotta have an acronym/abbreviation for everything.  That's how the wrong stuff gets blown up.  Gotta be more clear.

My wife loves her GL diesel.  Havent towed with it yet but would like to see how it handles a load.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »
Merc = Mercedes

Most people would refer to them as a Benz.

Merc is generally shorthand for Mercury. Geez Alan Jackson even wrote the song about a Mercury... not a Mercedes..

Pilots... ::)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
Wow, very well articulated arguement. Now, where's that popcorn button again?

Merc = Mercedes

Merc is generally shorthand for Mercury. Geez Alan Jackson even wrote the song about a Mercury... not a Mercedes..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »
Merc = Mercedes

My experience seems to be more with that of the British. There a Mercedes is called a Merc!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal