Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kyle's LBZ Build  (Read 59557 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Kyle's LBZ Build
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
Well guys, here goes! My new-to-me truck arrived yesterday! This thread will capture all the things I do to the truck.

For those that haven't followed in the other thread, I had an LMM and decided to sell in and get an LBZ. Basically the same truck in terms of color and trim, but I wanted an OBS with the pre-DPF powertrain. Found this truck in Wisconsin, and made a deal and got in out here.

Here it is arriving via a great Transporter, Bob Wilson. He's a Christian, and we had a nice chat about doing God's work as he unloaded the truck. Was really cool, and I'm happy I was able to do business with him.

With my ugly mug...

Got it washed up (actually wife did, I was busy rebuilding a shower enclosure getting ready for tile) before attacking the front brush guard. I said it'd be the first thing to go, and I am a man of my word!

Here's how she sits right now...

And to cap off the day, i removed the gaudy dealer sticker off the tailgate

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle's LBZ Build
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
nice looking truck kyle. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
I already ordered a set of Weather Tech mats for the front and rear, they should be here in the next week or so... got to sneak that one in early, as the truck didn't have any mats when I got it. It also has a Prodigy brake controller, and a B&W turnover ball already installed, which is nice, because those 2 items were already on my build list!

And finally, here's my "build" plan...

Edge Insight CTS and Dash Pod - done
EGT Probe - done
Curt Class V Xtra Duty hitch - done
Fumoto drain valve - done
Fuel Filter bleeder screw - ready to install
Level Tow Mirrors - done
De-Mold/De-Badge - done
MBRP 4" w/ muffler - done
MBRP wrapped 3" down pipe - done
Fuel Maverick 17x9 - done
Cooper ATP 285/70/17 - done
MA Pump Rub Kit
Transgo Jr
Fass 150 Lift Pump
EGR Blocker Plate - purchased
ATP DSP5 EFI Live Tuning
PCV Re-route - ready to install
AMP Research running boards
Beans Sump
Titan 52 Gal Fuel Tank
HID/LED conversions

Some of this stuff is going to take me awhile... between building our new house, and an unexpected tax bill from Uncle Sam, have to watch the dollars and cents... and wifey runs the money ;) so it will be a slow process, but we'll get there  8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:58:21 AM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
nice looking truck kyle.

thanks Nate! I'm totally pumped right now... went to the store and wife stayed in the truck... when i got in the truck she was like "you really like it huh"... i just grinned... she said "you were smiling the whole walk back to the truck"

it runs great, body and paint are flawless, interior is great (minus normal seat wear). only thing is there's a little bit more surface rust under the bed than i hoped, but nothing a little wire brush and Don's favorite rust converter can't fix. I was going to attack it with some black paint/coating anyway, just a couple extra hours of work now is all
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Nice rig, glad it made the trip without any problems.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
Looks awesome Kyle.
I'd jump on getting the EGR blocker in sooner than later tho.
To do it without EFI you need a 'finger stick' to block the codes.
I really feel stopping the soot is a high priority.

In any case looks like a sound plan. I did the Profab downpipe, it fit like a dream and we're lucky enough that it is very easy on the LBZ.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
That thing is really clean

I like it

We'll all be following your exploits and watching this develop

Have fun!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
A recommendation would be to re-think the bfg's.  The E rated ones dont last long on the heavier trucks.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Congrats Kyle. Nice ride!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »
Nice truck Kyle.......big grin too!  ;D

Enjoy it and the build!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
Thanks guys! I feel the same way about the EGR... It's more of a funds issue why it's not immediate. I have the PCV reroute kit already, so I can do that sooner than later.

What would you recommend in lieu of the BFG's? The new K02s have 50k tread warranty I think... I ran Toyo AT2's on my LMM and they threw gravel like crazy.
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:10:20 AM »
Same color and year as mine!! This will be good.

I have the CTS to and love it. I used Idaho Rob and have a DSP5.

Do the EGR fast, there is alot of crud in there.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
Well, some good news bad news today...

Good news is I got my Weather Tech mats in, front and rear. They fit great and are well worth the money in my opinion.

Bad news is when i was looking around a little closer trying to game plan for my rust mitigation and hitch replacement, I noticed that the transporter damaged my rear spring clips when chaining the truck to the trailer (kind of a knucklehead thing to do). So I'll have to scope out how to best handle this... the existing clips seem like the come permanently attached to the spring packs. Any suggestions fellas?

NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
They still look serviceable or did I miss something?

I'd say get a ball peen and get after them then move on to the next project!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »
They still look serviceable or did I miss something?

I'd say get a ball peen and get after them then move on to the next project!

Hey now there's an idea...

I'll see if i can't use some "persuasion" and see if they can't be bent back into shape. Thanks!
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
Make sure you have eye protection in place. When you start pounding junk will be falling.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »
Make sure you have eye protection in place. When you start pounding junk will be falling.

Yessir! Thanks Bob. I've only got one eye left, so I'm very careful when it comes to eye protection!

Don, quick question for you also... your favorite Rust Converter, do you get that from theruststore.com?

Ever used the CRC stuff? http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Rust-Converter-1-Quart-Ounce/dp/B003HG1FGW

Looks like it is also Tanic Acid and polymer based...
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
You sayin' you have a glass eye? Am I the only one that's wants to see it? :)

jk

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 03:45:27 PM »
You sayin' you have a glass eye? Am I the only one that's wants to see it? :)

jk

No it's still real, just doesn't work worth a darn. It's way beyond legally blind. Had a detached retina when i was a kid, muliple surgeries, yadda yadda. The GOOD news is that it's not my dominant eye... and my other senses are heightened so watch out, i can hearrrrrr you  ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »

Yessir! Thanks Bob. I've only got one eye left, so I'm very careful when it comes to eye protection!

Don, quick question for you also... your favorite Rust Converter, do you get that from theruststore.com?

Ever used the CRC stuff? http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Rust-Converter-1-Quart-Ounce/dp/B003HG1FGW

Looks like it is also Tanic Acid and polymer based...

Yes on the rust store

The CRC stuff is very good as well

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 01:41:55 AM »
I don't like the gouges in those springs. Should be able to get the strap back in place.

Yep, shes a salt truck!!

How many limes on the LBZ?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:38 AM »
Yeah, me either...

It's got around 85k on it. Runs and drives flawlessly. I love the truck, much better than my lmm.

Yeah, little more rust than I was led to expect, but it's in the places that are easy to tackle. Rockers and cab are fine, no issues there at all. Kind of s bummer, but I'm looking at the positive side... I wanted to treat/paint the underside anyway.

I might take the bed off, want to replace the Turnover Ball and swap out the factory hitch for a Curt class V anyway, so might just tackle the rust while doing that.

Only downer is I don't have a garage or anything at the moment, or access to a lot of my tools. I do have a friend ( fellow d-max guy) who is out of work at the moment who I might see if we can work something out where he can help me out. He's got a mini-excavator too, which would make taking the bed off way easier.

We'll see how it goes.
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
From what I've been led to believe, you and three buddies would be able to remove the bed fairly easily.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
Ahh nice, one in each corner kind of maneuver... Will have to consider that too.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Yeah Kyle, you could have that bed off in 20 minutes....10 minutes with air tools.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »
Yeah Kyle, you could have that bed off in 20 minutes....10 minutes with air tools.

Is it just 8 bolts, fuel neck, and wiring for the tail lights?

I've been wanting a new air ratchet for a long time now, this might be the ticket to one  ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 07:00:08 AM »
Has the transfer case "pump rub" been addressed? Mine showed up around 90k and is a common issue with the cases until 2007.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
Yep. ...but an impact would be faster. ...12" extention w/18mm socket

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »

That's what I meant, sorry! Thanks Ken!

Has the transfer case "pump rub" been addressed? Mine showed up around 90k and is a common issue with the cases until 2007.

Not yet, it's on the list!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:31:41 AM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
Well not entirely build related, but dad and I went in halves on a new dump trailer. Been eyeballing one for quite awhile, and finally pulled the trigger. It's a Big Tex 10SR, 10k gross.

Also, got this sweet score on Craigslist... B&W Tow and Stow for $100 bucks ($180 new). Adjustable to 5" drop which is more than plenty for my stock height truck. 2" and 2 5/16" ball, which is exactly what I need. The boat and small utility trailer are 2", the dump is 2 5/16" and so is the RV, tho I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro for the TT.

Cleaned it up last night and treated some rust. Stainless pins are currently soaking in CLR. She gets a fresh coat of paint tonight and will be good as new!
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
Those dump trailers are certainly handy!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »
Nice trailer, Those dump trailers are so handy for so many things. Biggest problem with mine is it sits close enough to the ground to make for easy loading of equipment, but that makes it hard to dump material into a contained pile.

The new stinger and ball, make sure it is weight rated high enough for that loaded trailer. If your truck hasn't had the stock hitch replaced yet, that could also be a problem. Those round GM hitches are known to twist, crack, or tear apart. The tongue weight on the stock hitch is very low rated both dead weight and with weight distribution.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
Yep the B&W is rated to 10k which is also the GVWR on the dump, so all good there. And the stocker hitch on the truck is going to be replaced with a Curt Class V before I put anything heavy behind her. Thanks for lookin out!
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
Kyle, not sure if you need to worry about smog or not but PPE has a 50 state legal manifold set now.

I am swapping my up pipe as need it all here!!

http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=216

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
Those are some really nice looking manifolds... thanks for forwarding!
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »
They are good guys too. I didn't have the Carb up pipe, so had not installed them yet. Called and for the same price as it would cost in the set, they are upgrading my pipe with EGR and I get the needed CARB sticker.

Check youtube, they have a great video on them being made.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Not sure if the LML in my Silvy is close enough to your LBZ's or LLY/LMM's but when I replaced the stock manifolds on mine with the high flow ones with the larger up pipes, the sound changed to a deeper, throatier tone. You'll like it.
Now if I could just get rid of that hiss at idle!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »

You can. Kory and most reputable tuners can, if I read the posts correctly on DF,  tune it so you get a rumble instead of a hiss at idle. Possibly without changing anything else other than hiss to rumble.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »

You can. Kory and most reputable tuners can, if I read the posts correctly on DF,  tune it so you get a rumble instead of a hiss at idle. Possibly without changing anything else other than hiss to rumble.
Yes Kory can, but did you ever check out what his tunes cost?
Over $900!
That's why I want an old 12 valve
No tunes! Just turn a screw here, adjust timing or things like that
I really don't like these electronic engines!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:12:50 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
Heck, I got EFI and DL free tunes but finally had IdahoRob do a DSP5 setup for me. Was only around $200 and I can adjust as needed.

I good tune should only run about $1-200 on your PCM. I would do an SHTF tune and a tow tune with a DSP2. Send em your PCM and you get it back in a few days ready to go.

But as we discussed before, just one lucky shot and the whole truck is down. With the CTD it takes a lot more unless it is 50 through the block.

You have the Dmax, may as well have it as you like it. Same reason mine is still getting upgrades.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
Heck, I got EFI and DL free tunes but finally had IdahoRob do a DSP5 setup for me. Was only around $200 and I can adjust as needed.

I good tune should only run about $1-200 on your PCM. I would do an SHTF tune and a tow tune with a DSP2. Send em your PCM and you get it back in a few days ready to go.

But as we discussed before, just one lucky shot and the whole truck is down. With the CTD it takes a lot more unless it is 50 through the block.

You have the Dmax, may as well have it as you like it. Same reason mine is still getting upgrades.
JR,
LML is not the same animal at all. Everything changed in 2011
Older D-Max engines are easy with EFI Live, but the computers in LML's are double blind or something like that. It is a tuning nightmare. Kory and maybe two others can really tune them and looking on his site just last night, the tune price was over $900

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-10189-efilive-autocal-tuner-11-15-lml-duramax-by-kory-willis-of-power-performance.aspx

Correction: $939!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:36:15 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
...but , Don, you can get 1500.00 plus for the H&S, and part of that 900, is for the gadget that installs the tunes.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
...but , Don, you can get 1500.00 plus for the H&S, and part of that 900, is for the gadget that installs the tunes.
$1500?
I'd be willing to do that yesterday
I wonder if I could just do it all through Kory?
You have an outlet for my full delete H&S tuner?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »

I've got a few connections on the case rub solutions if anyone has a need.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »

I've got a few connections on the case rub solutions if anyone has a need.

Yes, and I sent you an email on d60 parts too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
I used to run Kory... Had a really bad experience with both tuning and service. Switched to Rob Coddens with ATP and I'm a customer for life. Won't ever do business with Kory again, and anybody who asks for my recommendation will be directed to ATP. But I don't want to go down that road on this thread. I want to keep it positive here  :D

I know Rob's tunes come with rumble idle as default FWIW, and Rob's DSP5 is $650 I think. Not sure if that covers LML too...

And do share on the pump rub connections!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:56:18 AM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »

You can. Possibly without changing anything else other than hiss to rumble.

Easy, basically just adjust VPOS at idle.
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »

But LML tuning is nothing...Repeat: nothing like the previous years, so I'm sorry my friend, but any tuning on that engine is the stuff of custom tuners only at the current state of the art!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »

But LML tuning is nothing...Repeat: nothing like the previous years, so I'm sorry my friend, but any tuning on that engine is the stuff of custom tuners only at the current state of the art!

Fair enough. Either way, pretty sure default now by the majors (ATP, PPEI, DT) with EFI for LML is rumble idle.

I actually liked the hiss idle on stock w/delete tuning, esp when the vanes would cycle. People look around like what the world was that haha.
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
Y'all have fun without me! On a plane to Mexico for vacation. Will check in when I get wifi! (Have to work a little too)

God Bless you guys!

Later,
Kyle
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal