Hello Guest

Author Topic: Some interesting offerings from OpsGear  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Some interesting offerings from OpsGear
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
I like that conceal carry jacket, although I always have to deal with the "Sag" you get on the weapons side

I can't vouch for the boots, I prefer Oakley boots, but the guys over at O-G know what they are doing

Ruck looks good for a longer term B/O bag...Like maybe the bag you stash, then operate out of a lighter day pack
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Some interesting offerings from OpsGear
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
I like that conceal carry jacket, although I always have to deal with the "Sag" you get on the weapons side

I can't vouch for the boots, I prefer Oakley boots, but the guys over at O-G know what they are doing

Ruck looks good for a longer term B/O bag...Like maybe the bag you stash, then operate out of a lighter day pack

I like that bag.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
That bag looks good. Maybe short on some molle but may be like you say a good stash bag.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
That bag looks good. Maybe short on some molle but may be like you say a good stash bag.
Yea, good stash bag
I have two big black bags with a strap, and a large US Marine bag I was issued for an Afghan deployment. It is a modular thing with molle all over, but I have never used the molle.

On my small pack which is also Molle'd up, I have a first aid kit, some ammo pouches and a radio pouch attached and I change it up every once in awhile

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »
I don't understand the jacket carry concept... is it intended for a secondary weapon?

I would always prefer to have my CCW on my hip.

Looks like a nicely made jacket though!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
I don't understand the jacket carry concept... is it intended for a secondary weapon?

I would always prefer to have my CCW on my hip.

Looks like a nicely made jacket though!

That grew out of the personal protection business. Got supercharged during the second Iraq by Black Water, triple Canopy and some of our militere buds. The concept is to look casual while IVO your principle but always be ready to go to guns if you have to. So concealed clothing to include suits to conceal MP5's have been developed.
PPCT is the birth place in my opinion...I was operated with them closely at one time. Picked it all up.

I'd rather carry open, a drop leg holster is my fav, but in church with marty milktoast and family sitting beside me, a desert eagle in .338 might be distracting. Hip holsters are hard to conceal...

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Marty Milktoast LOL I'm going to reuse that one...

My "church guns" are my G19 or SA XDS 45, both in a Crossbreed Supertuck... IWB of course. I'm a bigger guy which helps, and I don't print hardly at all, only if i have to bend over to grab something off the floor. If you haven't tried a Crossbreed, I'd highly reccommend it. Either for your G19/23, G30... or both  ;D

For that jacket, I wonder why they don't put the mags opposite if the main firearm pocket to balance out the weight?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »
I'd rather carry open, a drop leg holster is my fav, but in church with marty milktoast and family sitting beside me, a desert eagle in .338 might be distracting. Hip holsters are hard to conceal...

Where are you finding a DE in .338? I'd try it out but I'm just saying... Have you heard of appendix carry? Or carrying at your 4?

Yes, I'm aware there was sarcasm in your post..

Marty Milktoast LOL I'm going to reuse that one...

My "church guns" are my G19 or SA XDS 45, both in a Crossbreed Supertuck... IWB of course. I'm a bigger guy which helps, and I don't print hardly at all, only if i have to bend over to grab something off the floor. If you haven't tried a Crossbreed, I'd highly reccommend it. Either for your G19/23, G30... or both  ;D

For that jacket, I wonder why they don't put the mags opposite if the main firearm pocket to balance out the weight?

Those the holsters with that huge chunk of horsehide on them?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
No DE in .338 my friend

Just exaggerating some and funnin'

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Those the holsters with that huge chunk of horsehide on them?

Yessir. Very comfortable. I wouldn't say it's huge, it's not very thick at all. You can get them "combat cut" too where they trim material around the grip. Or do it yourself, which many do. IMO WAY more comfortable than a kydex holster. I have a Raven Concealment Phantom for my XDM compact and i'll pick the Crossbreed everyday of the week for IWB concealment. I only use the Kydex paddles for OWB now...
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »
No DE in .338 my friend

Just exaggerating some and funnin'

I know you were. Most people can't handle a DE in 44 mag or the .50, which has a wicked twist when fired.

Yessir. Very comfortable. I wouldn't say it's huge, it's not very thick at all. You can get them "combat cut" too where they trim material around the grip. Or do it yourself, which many do. IMO WAY more comfortable than a kydex holster. I have a Raven Concealment Phantom for my XDM compact and i'll pick the Crossbreed everyday of the week for IWB concealment. I only use the Kydex paddles for OWB now...

I've seen them for sale, but never had anybody ever try one, at least that I know of anyway.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
Well since I've already managed to hijack this thread long enough... maybe I'll put together a review with some pics of my Crossbreeds and put it in the Firearms section.
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
Crossbreed would be a great vendor for this site as their beliefs echo those professed here.  My XDM is IWB and I went with horsehide so I can have it against my skin for summer.  I tuck my shirt with it and blouse both sides and it's hard to spot and I have it at 3-3:30 position.  Unless you really look at my belt and spot the hard edge, you wouldn't know.  I've toyed with the idea of getting another in Left Hand draw to wear at 4-5 o'clock for right hand there.

Love Crossbreed!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
Also try the MTAC and CTAC from Comp-Tac here in Texas.

http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/

I have several and you can get the different sized belt clips for different width belts and the cant is adjustable.  I like a good bit of forward cant, similar to the FBI cant.

I CC either a G30 or G23 everywhere and even with just a t-shirt untucked over it.  As many cell phones are carried in waist pouches nowadays, even the very little it might sometimes protrude as never been recognizable.

Only thing I'd probably use a shoulder or jacket carry for would be for seated in the car where the seat belt makes the hip draw a challenge.  But then that's why the handy knee bolster holster in the truck (courtesy of Big Don Designs, LTD) comes in handy...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:40:05 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
A G30 Charles?!!!
Wow that's a hand full
I carried a G30 (and still do sometimes) as a CC weapon but preferred the G19 for size plus 17 rounds with a G17 mag
When I figured out the G27 in .40 was the same size as the G19, I was sold. Almost .45 power with the G19 size.

I mostly either carry it in a pocket or a hip paddle where it can be seen. Not always bad to open carry, well, sorta open. Keeps the idiots from practicing their trade.

My fav is always the Uncle Mike drop leg. all worn and desert scuffed...

I bought a sheep skin ankle thing and carried my Kahr CW9 for church, but I found I needed to buy my 5.11 trousers 2" longer inseam to keep it all covered.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »
When I figured out the G27 in .40 was the same size as the G19, I was sold. Almost .45 power with the G19 size.

The M&P 40 is barely 1/2" in length/grip difference between the G19 as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
I was down at Bud's gun shop in Lexington, KY
Those M&P 40's were there for $299!
They had maybe 20 of them...
Used ex-police trade ins, but in excellent shape

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »

G19 same size as G23, G27 same size as G26. Did you mean 23?

At any rate, all 4 fit in the same holsters, assuming they're open muzzle.

I'm gonna do a write up for the Crossbreeds and post it up. I'm woefully under qualified relative to you guys when it comes to making really solid suggestion on weapons systems. So I'll but it out there with pics and commentary and you can decide if it looks like something you want to try or not!

Comptacs are nice too, as are Theis Holsters. Very similar designs.
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
A G30 Charles?!!!
Wow that's a hand full
I carried a G30 (and still do sometimes) as a CC weapon but preferred the G19 for size plus 17 rounds with a G17 mag

I mostly either carry it in a pocket or a hip paddle where it can be seen. Not always bad to open carry, well, sorta open. Keeps the idiots from practicing their trade.

My fav is always the Uncle Mike drop leg. all worn and desert scuffed...

I bought a sheep skin ankle thing and carried my Kahr CW9 for church, but I found I needed to buy my 5.11 trousers 2" longer inseam to keep it all covered.

I prefer to have something close to full size to grip I'm much more accurate with double taps with a weapon I can get a good grip on.  The G30 is just a bit thicker than the 23 and I can carry an G21 mag with the Arredondo extension and get 17 rounds for backup (although I download one to 16). So with the 10 factory in the carry and 16 back up, I think I'm covered for most encounters. 

I like my g26 and g27 when I'm wearing a suit for business with the 5:11 holster compression undershirt with the velcro closed pocket under the arm.  I can pull a few buttons on the dress shirt and reach in and get to it pretty good.  I carry my Ruger LCP .380 when I just want to have something to shoot myself with.....or when I'm wearing a speedo...

What the retention device like on the uncle mikes?  I have the blackhawk level II serpa and like it a lot.  The level III retention seems overkill and cumbersome

How is it that the cool Duramax shops and gun shops are not in Texas??  You would think with all the rednecks here this would be Mecca for gun and truck shops.  Bud's is awesome and I've bought on line from them in the past.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »

I'm gonna do a write up for the Crossbreeds and post it up. I'm woefully under qualified relative to you guys when it comes to making really solid suggestion on weapons systems. So I'll but it out there with pics and commentary and you can decide if it looks like something you want to try or not!

I have a lot of friends that ask me for advice and I tell them what ever it is that you get, practice and practice a lot.  3500-4000 repetitions of the draw stroke are required to get it in your muscle memory. malfunction drills etc.

At the end of the day, the weapon is not anywhere close to being as important as is the person.  Shoot and shoot often.  And not at some sissy range that makes you stand still and shoot paper without being able to move and shoot and draw from concealment.  Standing still in a gunfight is a sure fire way to meet your maker.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »

Sorry, I meant G23

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal