Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Silverado Duramax C-Max build thread part 4  (Read 172702 times)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: LML Silverado Duramax C-Max build thread part 4
« Reply #800 on: October 27, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
The passenger side battery in our Duramaxes is also prone to premature failure due to the proximity to the passenger side exhaust manifold. It then takes its toll on the driver side by trying to recharge itself from the good battery.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 27, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
Excess heat likely playing into the quick failures there Ken.
Another battery enemy.
Exactly. The worst ones I've seen are the ones from wally world... seen a bunch top out around 9 months
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
I made 4 years before mine failed on the oem delcos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
Somewhere along the lines of life, a man I respect and has taught me much said he has always seen the longest life out of the napa brand batteries. Obviously they are probably a re-badge of someone else, but wife and I have run napa batteries in a slew of different vehicles with what I perceive as success including in the AZ heat, but mines not like Kens. They've all made it as long as we've owned the vehicles after replacement. I will say, our 4Runner ran a yellow top (because I don't know why) with strange success for about 6 years and is still operating our gate after having been replaced by a napa battery. It's easily 9 years old. And has seen everything from hard hits, excessive rattles at 50 mph daily (dirt "road" to the house), and two years in a black box on the ground operating the gate with a crappy charge controller. For whatever all that's worth....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 28, 2017, 09:45:31 AM »
Napa is made by interstate but maybe you knew that.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 28, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
Ive been trying to research that very thing.
Well reviving dead ones anyhow.

There are some that claim some sketchy techniques work.
I had hoped to try them on this set from the cabin, but frankly I'm a little nervous of putting 120 pulsing DC to a six volt battery.

I will have another dead battery to try it on, but the cabin wasn't the time or place to experiment just yet.

Lithium batteries definitely hold charge better.
They do still suffer the cycling issues that lead acid do as well.
I think I mentioned my friend who uses Air Force developed technology to "Shake" the plaque off the plates of aircraft batteries and even some big fork lift batteries. They are able to bring them back to life through the cleaning process, and fresh chemicals. The process takes time, is still expensive and therefore suitable only to aircraft batteries which cost as much as $5K each.

He and I have talked about hooking me up with some forklift batts to power up the hide, but have not gone forward with anything as of yet. It's drawing board kind of stuff at this point.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 28, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
We were having forklift batteries refurbished 5-7 years ago. Unless this new method is somehow completely different & I doubt it is much different as you stated the same thing our “guy” used too then I would advise against wasting your money on those refurbished fork lift batteries. We never had one last much over 3-6 months.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
We were having forklift batteries refurbished 5-7 years ago. Unless this new method is somehow completely different & I doubt it is much different as you stated the same thing our “guy” used too then I would advise against wasting your money on those refurbished fork lift batteries. We never had one last much over 3-6 months.....
I don't know enough about it to comment intelligently.
I do know they are using a machine developed by big blue that uses ultrasonics as the primary means of separating the chaff from the wheat.
Like I said, all that is just in the what-if stage

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 28, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
So today I completed the installation of the switch and EFILive tunes

The guys at Motor Ops in Ontario, Canada are top notch in my opinion. I dealt with Tristin, Steve, and Camron. Cam worked with me first, opening the door to the purchase by completely answering my questions, Then Steve, who I believe is the owner??? Not completely sure about that, and Tristin spent perhaps 30 to 45 minutes on the phone with me as we worked through installation difficulties I was having. Finally Cameron, took the ball in for the touchdown, providing a teaching session on the EFI Live software and the Autocal installer module. Additionally, I have an inbox full of replies to questions I had asked, which he answered after their normal business hours.
Kudos to all of them on the support!

So in goes the engine tune, which was followed by the transmission tune

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
Then this happened:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 28, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
I could have figured that out quickly, but the software and the Autocal was all new to me, so I had to learn what I was doing before proceeding to fix what was causing this problem.

It turned out to be pins which I mistakenly placed into the wrong holes in the grey cable connector.

I would suggest watching a vid or three on the web before going after installation of the DSP-5 pins as with all that is going on with that connector it is rather easy to make a mistake.

When I first did it, I really was just trying to count slots and try to determine the pin locations. However after watching some vids, and realizing I switched the connector upside down in my mind, the repair was easy and made complete sense

After making the repair, I cleared the DTC (Check engine light) and the engine ran perfectly

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 28, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
Now, fishing that gray connector to where you can actually work on it requires some real gymnastics!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 28, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
All buttoned up and things were actually better than normal (before)

The engine has a bit of a throatier idle, Correct me if I am wrong, but I wasn't getting any of that awful hiss sound that was so prevalent before

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 28, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
I took lots of notes and even drew illustrations to aid the correct assembly, and by-golly, it all helped

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 28, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
Before the test drive I noticed this oil spot and traced it to a loose oil filter adapter for the Amsoil dual/bypass filter setup I am using

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 28, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
As for the tune, WOW is the one explicative I would use.

The transmission reprogramming alone is well worth it. My truck is no longer either sloppy, or have that feeling of always sliding between gears. Not it firmly moves from gear to gear and at quite different points. It will stay in first longer than before, but upshift to forth sooner.

The engine in position #1 was definitely more stockish and perfectly acceptable for driving around. On tow tune #1 "What just Happened??!!" That truck was alive, and this was the heavy/base tow tune. By the time I switched to the second tow tune, switch position #3, that truck was out performing the H&S tuner with their +150 HP hot tune. No freakin way the truck should be so strong in a tow tune. Just grenades the tires with the TC disabled.

I switched it to position #4 and for the first time saw my boost gage above 35! That tune is way faster than I have ever experienced. For me, borderline dangerous. It is stunning how fast that heavy truck got, and with everything it was doing I stopped right there. I know the transmission has never had to deal with that kind of power, so as of now, I have not switched to the #5 performance tune.

Tell you what, you wouldn't want to just take off and drive with the thing in #5 position (or #4) and hit the throttle without knowing what to expect. The numbers on the speedo just flash by like you're in a SS camaro or something.

I am very happy with this level of performance, and if I do add the CP3 pump it will just be to have all the fuel the injuctors need. If I build the transmission, it will be just to try and reliably hold all that power. If I do the compound turbo setup, that will be only to reduce EGT's, because for a SHTF get away truck, this thing is like the cuda in movie "Vanishing point" Circa 1970.

One issue remains, My speedometer is reading about 10MPH faster than the GPS and my calibrated Mark-1 eyeballs tell me, so we will have to tune that straight. That will be another opportunity to dive in this system and learn some more, and get to work with the Motor Ops guys some more.

Motor-Ops: Great job

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 28, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »
Which leaves this thing, the H&S tuner with the DEF delete tunes for sale, of for donation, or if nothing else, to be used for a target on the range!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 29, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »
I have the EFI with the DSP5 and never been overwelmed with the tunes, done by Idaho Rob. No tranny tune as they wern't avail then.

I have also never been able to load the tunes with just the autocal. Always had to use the PC in line, kinda a pain but it worked.

Need to work out the autocal tune issue and look at a tranny tune. was I pricey?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »
It’s amazing how the dmax comes alive with some good tuning... with power like you’re describing on 37’s you’re going to prob be looking at some Allison upgrades soon me thinks

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 29, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
I suggest go full bore on a trans build, I tried EFI live and made a year before my trans started hitting limp mode on free way on ramps

I have the gorearend torque converter and from my knowledge it works ok, no experts in it,    EFI live is amazing and I imagine with your gearing on your truck you have a whole different level of move unlike me and JR, big tires slow things down but you get the torque and the HP to change all of those. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
I suggest go full bore on a trans build, I tried EFI live and made a year before my trans started hitting limp mode on free way on ramps

I have the gorearend torque converter and from my knowledge it works ok, no experts in it,    EFI live is amazing and I imagine with your gearing on your truck you have a whole different level of move unlike me and JR, big tires slow things down but you get the torque and the HP to change all of those. 

I can't speak for others, but the truck feels a lot stronger. Simply a dramatic change from before and I am not in the most aggressive tune yet.
The 37's did affect the performance some, but this was never intended to be a performance truck, just have the power to "make a get-away" in hard times with significant GWT tugging at performance. The truck feels lighter to be sure, and the trans tuning is pretty well done to compliment the new power and smoothness.
Get the speedo thing corrected and I'll be plenty happy with it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 29, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »
It’s amazing how the dmax comes alive with some good tuning... with power like you’re describing on 37’s you’re going to prob be looking at some Allison upgrades soon me thinks

Well the mitigation procedure will likely to stick in the torque converter now, then get another year out of the trans, then stick that in as well.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 29, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »

I can't speak for others, but the truck feels a lot stronger. Simply a dramatic change from before and I am not in the most aggressive tune yet.
The 37's did affect the performance some, but this was never intended to be a performance truck, just have the power to "make a get-away" in hard times with significant GWT tugging at performance. The truck feels lighter to be sure, and the trans tuning is pretty well done to compliment the new power and smoothness.
While it feels more torque and power to your seat I can assure you that the power added will chew up that trans, race truck or not Don a torque converter won’t save it.  Those BA tires and added truck weight are a recipe for problems

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »

While it feels more torque and power to your seat I can assure you that the power added will chew up that trans, race truck or not Don a torque converter won’t save it.  Those BA tires and added truck weight are a recipe for problems

Copy,
I'm sure that all this will conspire to ruin that perfect transmission I have right now.
But I drive very conservatively and not all that much really, 12K-15K a year tops and likely less.
I might stand on it once a month and never for more than a few seconds. My EGT's are always 700's-800's. I just dont drive hard at all. I almost never stood on the throttle with the old tune. I was surprised when I saw 30 psi once in all the years I owned it. Now during testing this new tune I have seen north of 30 several times.
I don't have any on ramps that I throttle hard on, no truck pulls, and I tow 7K or less usually
Cameron who added this tune, a CP3 and compounds ran the stock trans for a year just by adding the TC (Which is the weak link). He pulled the trans and rebuilt to a high standard without the thing failing. He did say the clutches were burned, but it was still running.
As for the larger tires, If I were running the 3.73 gears there would be a lot more strain on the transmission than with the 4.56's I have. The lower gears alone take a lot of the load off the trans as it doesn't have to push as hard to achieve movement as a stock gear/tall tire combo would.
I am sometimes wrong, but I think the trans will last for awhile. I'll replace it in time, but no need throwing good money after something which is not currently a problem.

On another note, the batteries seem to have recovered completely. It was cold today and I saw no problems during a slew of starts I made today. No Excides just yet!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 29, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »
I kind of agree with you chief.
All depends on application of the skinny pedal.

I saw a new max with the camper last month.
Cool air and a good grade, stayed on it hard, 1250-1280 egt.
Just shy of 30 psi, more than 29.5.
And that's on a tranny safe tune.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Update: Camron at Motor Ops has been staying on top of this speedo issue. He sent me a new tune to correct for that

He also spent the time to do a session on the computer where he remotely ran through my autocal, updating and checking everything.

As a result of that session, I had the newest tune installed into my autocal.

With that done, I tried three times to load the tune but each time got an error code: $0053S

So, bottom line is that I was unable to transfer the corrected tune to my ECM and had to live with the speedo being way off.

Then I remembered something Tristen told me. He said these computers/tune interface were very sensitive, so he had me pull the fuse for all non-stock components, like my Kenwood GPS/receiver head. This time I simply powered it down and turned off the HID headlights, and ran the reflash procedure once again.

Voila' the tune loaded with no error codes.

Now, I have not had the opportunity to drive the truck yet to verify, but at the moment I am hopeful that I have a correct tune flashed into the truck's ECM

We'll know in a bit, but first, in about two hours I have to drive to a church to watch my step daughter be married. Actually, I am a part of the proceedings, so time to "Suit up" and get that done!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 03, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
Best of luck with the tune and the hitchin party.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 04, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »
Alrighty now, Wedding is in the bag.

She was a stunning bride, really beautiful. Literally thousands (tens of...) has been eaten decorated, and partied away. My ear drums are non functional after enduring a couple hours of Y-M-C-A, and a host of other party songs. The food was excellent, well worth the $32 a plate, The ladies were beautiful, the photography very well done, the ceremony flawlessly executed, and on the drive home I noticed the speedo indicating 73 mph while the GPS said 69 mph!

So it seems as though the new tune nearly solved the speedo issue so now it's on to the next round of thinges-es.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »
Congratulations on the daughters betrothal, Don. Glad you don’t have a CarRep for blowing out a hip or anything on the dance floor.

Honestly though, when you mentioned your daughters wedding, my heart did a little flip thinking of my daughters doing the same thing.  I still have a few years to wait, but I want to make them good years. (Not to mention any associated cost, what with having five girls.). Oh well, who wants to retire anyway.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
Short update on C-Max

Had a chance to squirm around in some gooey clayish muddy wonderfulness today. Those tires never allowed for a stoppage in forward progress. The combination of this truck's wheelbase, its weight, the grizzly locker, 4WD, and these 37" tires make for a pretty robust and reliable package for one who may venture way off the beaten path. I'm very comfortable with taking this truck most places. I bypass the nasty spots...Those are for kids with a large credit limit and not too much brain thinkage.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 23, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
I did have to (finally) trim back the power steps as the tires were catching them on tight turns. Next I'll have to do that northern Kali mod on the inner fender well because they occasionally scrub there as well.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
I am putting this on the calendar!!!!!!

We now have photographic proof that this truck has become something other than a mall mulchbed/pavement princess.......:stickpoke don
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 23, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Hold on. We see a dirty truck, not a truck in the mud. We should demand real pics!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 23, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Video from that go pro don bought a while back

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 24, 2017, 01:02:20 AM »
Video from that go pro don bought a while back

I took that back Dave...Crappy camera in my view

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 24, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »
Depending on the use I can see it not working well for some

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 24, 2017, 03:40:12 AM »
I just use my phone, does great. I would like something with a good optical zoom though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2017, 04:07:20 AM »
Short update on C-Max

Had a chance to squirm around in some gooey clayish muddy wonderfulness today. Those tires never allowed for a stoppage in forward progress. The combination of this truck's wheelbase, its weight, the grizzly locker, 4WD, and these 37" tires make for a pretty robust and reliable package for one who may venture way off the beaten path. I'm very comfortable with taking this truck most places. I bypass the nasty spots...Those are for active duty piluts with a large support crew and not too much brain thinkage.

Fixed it
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 29, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
Well, the thing let me down last night with dead batteries once again, so that was it for me. When reliability is negatively impacted, things get fixed

So in went two new batteries. I get such a huge discount at O'Rilleys that I stopped there first. I picked up the best batteries they sell for less than half price. Retail was $270 and I paid $120.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 29, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
Question: When is everyone changing out their radiator fluid? I'm thinking I might be a candidate...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
So, all dirty and actually fitting in the garage! Spot that SquareD occupied for the last few years...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 29, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »
I'll do a battery change write-up over in the DIY section

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 29, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
GET IT OUTTA THERE!  That dust could cause all kinds of mayhem and stuff might start malfunctioning, parts trucks will start a parade to your door again and that poor green warrior will feel like a kid who goes off to college just to come home and find someone new moved into his room!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 29, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »
GET IT OUTTA THERE!  That dust could cause all kinds of mayhem and stuff might start malfunctioning, parts trucks will start a parade to your door again and that poor green warrior will feel like a kid who goes off to college just to come home and find someone new moved into his room!
I'm good

The protective layer of dirt and dried mud (Dirt) protects the vital parts against the awful effects of dust, and mulch!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 30, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »
Question: When is everyone changing out their radiator fluid? I'm thinking I might be a candidate...
I waited too long. Didn't get acidic, but it was dirty. 6-7 years.
I think they recommend 5 years, and some amount of miles.

Since then it's been replaced twice, due to the fact I had the rad hose off for one thing or another.
Being there is no drain bung on my 06, it goes into a pail inside a kiddie pool.
Well about 50/50, along with all the dirt and crud that drops in.
Based on that it gets new out in.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
I waited too long. Didn't get acidic, but it was dirty. 6-7 years.
I think they recommend 5 years, and some amount of miles.

Since then it's been replaced twice, due to the fact I had the rad hose off for one thing or another.
Being there is no drain bung on my 06, it goes into a pail inside a kiddie pool.
Well about 50/50, along with all the dirt and crud that drops in.
Based on that it gets new out in.

OK then, we're getting a coolant fluid change!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Another fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah, 5 years or 100k. Did mine a couple ago and doing the thermo's will top it off again.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
Mine's been done 3 times in 5 years....a waterpump under warranty, a radiator because they poked a hole in it when doing said waterpump, and the last time my shroud went through the radiator. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 30, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Mine's been done 3 times in 5 years....a waterpump under warranty, a radiator because they poked a hole in it when doing said waterpump, and the last time my shroud went through the radiator. lol
Well looking at that expansion tank, it is no longer "Pristine" clean, so I think that with 6 years and 80K, I'll knock that out

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 30, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
Another fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah, 5 years or 100k. Did mine a couple ago and doing the thermo's will top it off again.

your still putting those thermostats off.....along with the pump rub..........?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal