Hello Guest

Author Topic: Whats Next...  (Read 23012 times)

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
Whats Next...
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
Well, the big Chief, Don, has been on me about posting up some stuff that I have going on over here in the Texas way....

Since I never know what I'm getting next or what Im doing next or what to keep or what to sale, I decided the appropriate title would work best for a "catch all" if you will...

Nothing specific here because I can change like the wind....  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:18:45 PM by Armalite »

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Next...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »
Well, here is my 2015 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 4wd.  It's the Laramie Longhorn edition.  Absolutely love this truck!! 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:41:20 PM by Armalite »

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »
Not many add-ons here.  Running a 4.5" lift kit.  Superlift.  Monotube shocks.  35-12.50-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers.  XD Wheels.  Amp steps that fold in and out with the doors opening and closing.  Fab Four front bumper color matched to the truck.  Warn winch.  Rigid 30" light bar.  Fuel tank/ tool box combo in the bed piped in to the existing fuel tank on the truck. 

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
Awesome lookin truck!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »
Next we have the Jeep.  2004 Jeep wrangler unlimited.  Shawn refers to it as "Barbie Jeep", so, input your own claim to whatever you wish to call it.  Doesn't matter to me.  ;)

When I bought the jeep last year, it already had a 4" lift, wheels and 35" tires, all installed from the factory in 2004.  It's the factory inline 6 motor, automatic transmission.  I added a Warn front bumper, Warn winch, Rigid 50" light bar, Rigid Dually 2 lights, and the 33" boggers.  Just last week I had Tate hook me up with a set of Yukon 4:56 gears, new front limited slip, rebuild kit for the rear limited slip, and a new front yolk.  It was all installed last week, as well as new ball joints and new rear axle seals.  There is a definite difference now.  Pulls those boggers with ease. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »
Installation of my very own first set of boggers to ever purchase and have installed...  Definitely a mile marker in a mans life...  ;D

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
And then this happened....   >:(

I broke the dam on my pond, and drained it.  Going to enlarge it.  Well, I couldn't resist trying out the new gears and front locker, so.....

I actually went through here three times with success!  I never slacked up and kept it wide open, lol...  Well, the wife wanted to ride, and she spotted a fish jumping in the mud hole.  She requested I "ease" down there and see what kind of fish it was...  Well, I "eased" in, examined said fish, turned out to be a left over hybrid brim that didn't make it out.  Well, there was no "easing" out of that hole...  She dug till it hit bottom, and that's that.  I stepped out on the passenger side, and it was 2" deep.  Hard ground.  Walked up to the house, grabbed the tractor, backed down there and yanked it right out...  :)

El Tate, thanks for the gears and lockers!  Absolutely love them, and worth every penny.   8)

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
So, that's about the most of the toys.  I'll see what else I can dig up later on...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Loving the Ram.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
Loving the Ram.

Me too Bobby.  First non-chevy product I've owned, as a daily driver, since I began driving 17 years ago...  I don't regret it at all. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »
Me too

I really dig that beefy mega cab

Cummins with a solid front axle...semi old school

Lots of potential and pretty as well!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
interesting

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »
Me too Bobby.  First non-chevy product I've owned, as a daily driver, since I began driving 17 years ago...  I don't regret it at all.

How's the EcoDiesel treating you? Or is it the wife's?

I remember you saying the Duramax was better in some ways, you still feeling like that? What's your mileage looking like? Yes, I'm obviously leaning towards a Ram, if anyone couldn't tell.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:26:53 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »
I like the Jeep.  The TJ unlimited with the longer wheelbase is nice and not very common.  In future years it those will be as sought after as the CJ Scramblers are today. 

Does yours have the D44 front axle or the D30?   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
Jeep doesn't look so Barbie when it's covered in mud!

What area of Texas you in ?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
I like the Jeep.  The TJ unlimited with the longer wheelbase is nice and not very common.  In future years it those will be as sought after as the CJ Scramblers are today. 

Does yours have the D44 front axle or the D30?

D30 up front.  D44 in rear. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »

How's the EcoDiesel treating you? Or is it the wife's?

I remember you saying the Duramax was better in some ways, you still feeling like that? What's your mileage looking like? Yes, I'm obviously leaning towards a Ram, if anyone couldn't tell.

Eco Diesel is the wifes Bobby.  Its is fine, other than a few electrical minor issues.  Mainly like we can't figure out how to clear the oil change light, and the xm radio is working properly.  Other than that, still getting 24-25 mpg.

I have two of the 2015 Dodge half ton crew cab 4wd eco diesels in my fleet now at work.  No trouble out of them.  Both getting 19-23 mpg. 

The only thing I miss about the Duramax was the get up and go.  When I put the pedal down, that duramax took off, even when it was still bone stock.  The dodge just has no get up and get gone in it.  It will get you there, but not quick and in a hurry.  Of course, a tuner and exhaust would fix all those issues, but, not going down the road right now. 

I'm still averaging around 13 mpg in the Dodge mega cab.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »
Me too

Have you seen what they are doing out back Don?  Coil springs and linked.  No more leafs.  Not on the 2500's anyway.  Very nice concept, and it seems to be more stable when pulling.  Doesn't have the roll that some trucks have. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »
Jeep doesn't look so Barbie when it's covered in mud!

What area of Texas you in ?

East Texas.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
Me too

Have you seen what they are doing out back Don?  Coil springs and linked.  No more leafs.  Not on the 2500's anyway.  Very nice concept, and it seems to be more stable when pulling.  Doesn't have the roll that some trucks have. 
Now Ash, you stop this right away!

I know what you're tryin' to do to me

I can't afford a new Dodge

(Man, I'd like to get a new Dodge)

Err, wait a minute, yea, Ash, you stop it!

Gotta build a farm and an old loader, and ...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
Ok, here is the new venture I'm looking at tackling...

I'm wanting to convert the jeep over to a capable mud monster.  It's a big thing in this area.  All the locals go to local rides every other weekend and play.  No rocks here, so its all about the mud and swamps...  Im thinking of getting involved...

I'm looking at going this route...

Built 2.5 ton Rockwell axles.  Detroit Lockers.  SCS transfer case.  Custom 4 link lift ( for stability).  54" Boggers. 

That should be plenty to get me down the trails with these other guys. 

Here is what I would be riding with....

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Samurai with factory motor on 44" cut boggers and Toyota axles....

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
Jeep on 44" cut boggers....

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
So, basically everyone gets the concept I think....

Here is my dilemma though...

I keep hearing how rare these TJ Unlimited's are.  And I just dropped a big chunk of money to have new gears and lockers and tires installed on this jeep I currently own. 

I'm thinking I can keep the jeep.  I own it free and clear.  Remove axles and sale them as is.  Sale off the tires and wheels as well.  Recoup some of my money.  Install the new Rockwells, lift, and tires under my Unlimited, and keep the factory inline 6 motor and trans. 

If I did that, I would want to go out and buy another jeep, possibly 4 door, to keep stock for running around at the farm, errands, and hunting.

Or, keep the jeep just like it is, and buy another Jeep, with a solid motor and trans, and lift it.  Only issue is, I know where my yellow jeep came from, and it has been babied.  Never abused.  Never even saw mud until I bought it.  So, I know the motor and trans are solid.

I don't want to jump in investing $35k on more vehicles and add ons...  I think I can get my current jeep project done for under $15k.  And, if I don't cut the tires, and have Disc brakes installed at all four corners on the rockwells, instead of at just the pinion, I may could even keep it street legal.   :o    Then I could still run down to the farm or deer lease the handful of times a year that I go. 

Just wanted to see if anyone has any other thoughts or opinions on the situation, or suggestions.... 

If this project takes off, I will keep pictures and progress posted here...

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
Man, that looks like a blast Ashley, a real blast !!

...but if the Jeep is as nice as you say, I would have a hard time runnin' it through the mud. It might be better to get one that has been abused, and modify it for that task.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:00:31 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »
Me too

I'm simply passing along info...  That is all.... 8)

Now Ash, you stop this right away!

I know what you're tryin' to do to me

I can't afford a new Dodge

(Man, I'd like to get a new Dodge)

Err, wait a minute, yea, Ash, you stop it!

Gotta build a farm and an old loader, and ...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
Man, that looks like a blast Ashley, a real blast !!

...but if the Jeep is as nice as you say, I would have a hard time runnin' it through the mud. It might be better to get one that has been abused, and modify it for that task.

I know Ken, but then I'm looking at possibly another motor and trans at that point....  More $$$

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
So, basically everyone gets the concept I think....

Here is my dilemma though...

I keep hearing how rare these TJ Unlimited's are.  And I just dropped a big chunk of money to have new gears and lockers and tires installed on this jeep I currently own. 

I'm thinking I can keep the jeep.  I own it free and clear.  Remove axles and sale them as is.  Sale off the tires and wheels as well.  Recoup some of my money.  Install the new Rockwells, lift, and tires under my Unlimited, and keep the factory inline 6 motor and trans. 

If I did that, I would want to go out and buy another jeep, possibly 4 door, to keep stock for running around at the farm, errands, and hunting.

Or, keep the jeep just like it is, and buy another Jeep, with a solid motor and trans, and lift it.  Only issue is, I know where my yellow jeep came from, and it has been babied.  Never abused.  Never even saw mud until I bought it.  So, I know the motor and trans are solid.

I don't want to jump in investing $35k on more vehicles and add ons...  I think I can get my current jeep project done for under $15k.  And, if I don't cut the tires, and have Disc brakes installed at all four corners on the rockwells, instead of at just the pinion, I may could even keep it street legal.   :o    Then I could still run down to the farm or deer lease the handful of times a year that I go. 

Just wanted to see if anyone has any other thoughts or opinions on the situation, or suggestions.... 

If this project takes off, I will keep pictures and progress posted here...

Ash,

I'd keep the yellow jacket as is...good jeep, paid for, new parts and on and on

Find another to build

And don't post it here, do another thread so we can watch it's development there and keep up with the Ram here.

There is a yellow jeep for sale not far from me. I spied it on the drive up from the farm yestertag...

Also saw a nice XJ, like bobby's except this one had rocker panels!

OldKooT

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
Very nice Dodge...and Jeep.

As for building a mud toy.... Electronics hate mud/water, I'd start a build with a body/frame of your preference. Jeep or what ever you enjoy, and build it stout. Large tires require big axles, and a healthy engine. Pickup a old Wrangler roller and toss some Dana 60's under it and a junk yard LS engine and away you go. That Jeep is far too sweet to tear apart...I'd keep it like it is and find a builder.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 02:36:59 AM »

That's too fancy.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »

That's too fancy.
Hard Core!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Hard Core!

XJ's rust allows it to blend in with the other rusty, worn out, beat up vehicles that there is an extensive amount of.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »
Well, after searching far and wide, and just sitting back and watching, I came across this jewel by accident.  Investigated it, and could not pass it up... 

So, should I continue on with it on this thread, or start a new one? 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
nice toy.  question would be, whats there to do to it / whats it missing?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
Do you drive it through the mud or do you just float?

And I thought I had toys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
Nice toy.
It's nearly as high as long.

Looks like a lot of fun/trouble could be had!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »
Is that for illegal boarder crossings?  Returning lost travelers I mean-   ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
Nice....already built. A bunch easier!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »
New Thread Ash

A tall soldier?

One big Jeep?

Look what followed me home?

I'm in the dog house, but look what I'm driving?

Or

something else??

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
So, I think Ash eluded to a story on one of the other threads.

I think it needs be told, that is if it can be...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
It all can be told, just might take a few days to get it all on here.   :cool:

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Man, looking back over this thread was a little aggravating to me if I'm honest.  I'll get in to that later.  First, let me show off what I traded the monster jeep for...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
List of mods...

Iron block LS LQ4.  Engine bottom end has 50k on it.
Billet timing gears and chain
LS7 Filters
Texas speed push rods
.650 lift double springs and retainers and valve job from Texas Speed
Polished 317 heads
Custom Grind Cam from Texas Speed
288/288/114 lsa  588 lift
NGK T5R Plugs
MSD wires
Holley Hi Ram Intake with Holley Billet 105mm throttle body
Holley 66# injectors
Lokar throttle cable and trans dip
Holley Dominator efi fuel injection system with all harnesses
Ceramic coated long tube headers
Holley Dominator billet fuel pump
Braided fuel lines with AN fittings
Built 4l80E from Wickens Racing
Circle D 3200 Stall Converter
B&M quarter stick with line lock
Griffin radiator with dual electric fans

Motor was built to bolt on a D1C Procharger

Custom Narrow strange 9" rear end with billet 3rd member and 456 gears.

Rear is tubbed and springs located inside frame

Wheels are Coy's billets 20x14 rear / 20x7.5 front
New tires.  16" wide Mickey Radials on rear.

Interior is vinyl and tweed.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:54:12 AM by Armalite »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
Moar pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
Wow, now there's a direction shift...
Definitely moar pics...
Sam

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
Motor

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
Gettin a little sweaty lookin at those motor pics there. You might want to put a disclaimer on those!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
few more...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
and why not have some video....

Not sure if video will be rotated correctly or not. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Well, long story short, I sold the truck about two weeks ago.   :shocked:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal