Hello Guest

Author Topic: Got me one too, M1101 that is  (Read 3951 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Got me one too, M1101 that is
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »
After seeing BD M1101 it got me to thinking along those lines too. I needed something easy to hookup and tow with lots of room and didn't break the bank.

Sure a low dump trailer is nice, but not for camping and they get pricey even used. So a little search on "searchtempest" and I found them on ebay for $800 to $2000. Well the $800 were just 350mi from here and near a friends house in Tehachapi. So a call was made to arrange which one since 5 were listed and they were both in tan and cammo. Its take your pick, so I did. The guy said bring cash, so I hope for a deal.

By the way if you use Craigslist at all (don't we all) try searchtempest (one word) It searches all of CL, adds and ebay based on distance, so you need to search each area and ebay at the same time. Sure it has a few adds but easy to navigate anyway.

Grabbed a pintle from TSC and HF magnetic tow lights and told the wife I was off to see a friend and would be back the next day, which I was. Had just got back from a fishing/shooting day with the boys and finally hit the sack at 0100. Got up at 0400 an was on the road with coffee little sleep (only had 4 hours the night before too)

This place was a way off the beaten path just east of the SIX FLAGS on hwy 5. The business does military movie props and sold off stuff as needed.

They have 7 of the trailers and said pick one, but not the last one (they were buried in a corner) So about 10 minutes later I say I will take the cammo that is next to last and we dug it out (forklift sure helped).

Got her hooked up and find the HF tow lights are wired backwards for brake/running lights. Its still daylight so whatever. So as I pay the guys I say you saved ebay fees and got cash, how about a spare tire. He agreed in about 2 seconds. So for $800 I get 2005 M1101 with a spare H1 tire/rim, plus they all are 12 bolt and match my 5 at home.

Head out and go through Antelope Valley up 14 and over 58 into Tehachapi. My bud lives in a little private area called Bear Valley about 9 miles out. Got a pass waiting at the gate for me make it to his place and kill the evening catching up on BS and drinking home-brew whisky. I did buy them dinner at the Golf Course first though. Needless to say I slept about 10 hours that night. Morning came and we had some coffee and ran down to the grill and got massive breakfast burritos.

Later i got the valley tour as the weather rolled in. Saw some pig tracks and finally found the local Elk heard. They didn't seem to mind us much, just no threat to them around up here. The farmland in the back is the San Joaquin Valley about 4500ft below us.

We then went and flew RC Gliders for awhile on a place called Convict Hill as it overlooks Tehachapi SP. Hands got numb so we came down about about 1/2 hour than had to fix the trailer wiring. He gave me a pint of juice and a pound of pig sausage and I was off. 

Does the last picture look familiar??
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got me one too, M1101 that is
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:49:01 AM »
That is my trailer in the last picture too, still had the GOV price tag of $8900 on it.

Stop at Costco in Palmdale for lunch.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
After the flying we rewired the HF lights and I was off, getting home about 2130 an hour behind schedule as I went across the 58 to the 5 avoiding friday evening traffic on 99.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
Cool Story JR, thanks for sharing!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »
Great score, and nice pics, especially of the elk!
Now I have to get a BD 1101.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »
Thanks guys. That is one good thing about where I live. I live at the hub of about 5 freeways and other ways out.

An hour from the SF Bay, but I go there little and avoid if possible.

6 hours from LA basin, they can keep that to but sometimes you need things and Dland is there for the kids.

2 hours from NV. Reno area is OK, Summit is right there as well as things you can't get here.

Then just an hour or so north it turns into more or less normal people, no fancy hair or piercings, you can understand them and guns are not out of place.

The kids love the 1101. I have it parked IFO my TH they can do as they wish with it.

Next it gets cleaned up some from all the tags, rewired for a 7 pin and the bed gets coated. As the trailer is all alum I think wear will be an issue. Heck just loading the spare tire and tying it down left a nice bright scratch. As wide as it is I think I will add a rail so things can side in and out without getting stuck on the wheel wells. Will run some angle on the rails too so things that land a little hard, don't leave there marks. That is easy too as there are thread inserts alone the entire top and inside rails. Another thing is the tailgate comes off like a truck.

I can also see a cover of some type and water tanks mounted under it, there is so much room to just not use it!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
jr, don't worry about the paint getting scratched.  the paint that is on the thing is called C.A.R.C. (chemical agent resistive coating).  it is almost impossible to scratch it off and will actually absorb fluids if they get spilt on it.

here is a little information about that paint for you.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=C.A.R.C.+paint
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
On that CARC paint.
I'd recommend you ONLY wet sand it. DO NOT breath the fumes as that stuff is a big time Carcinogen.

Wet sand it then get some coating over it.

I plan to wet sand my trailer when it comes time, then go over top with a sealer, then the OD green paint to match SquareD

From the VA website:

CARC Paint CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) is a paint used on military vehicles to make metal surfaces highly resistant to corrosion and penetration of chemical agents. Inhaling CARC during the painting and drying process can be harmful. Dry CARC poses no hazards, except during welding or sanding. - See more at:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/PUBLICHEALTH/exposures/carc-paint/index.asp#sthash.zF4VMI8k.dpuf
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:36:54 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 04:56:25 PM »
Not sure if mine is the stock coating, but thanks for the warning and I will take precautions.

The wheel wells are warn through and the bed scratches. I think they told me they paint/build to match the movie situation. I bet those tire have the run flat in them too.

Does that tower look familiar to anyone?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:57:11 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
Nice trailer.  My utility trailer is about rusted away so I may have to start looking for one of those.

Okay, I'll bite…

Where might I have seen that tower before? 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:22 AM »
Nice trailer.  My utility trailer is about rusted away so I may have to start looking for one of those.

Okay, I'll bite…

Where might I have seen that tower before? 

I haven't seen it yet, but

I was "told" it was used in American Sniper and much of the film was done in the area at a ranch used just for military movies.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal