Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hey from Canada  (Read 3134 times)

Offline brains

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hey from Canada
« on: October 03, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi there. Like probably a lot of others here, I joined after going through the 12v survival build over at duramaxforum. However, it wasn't just that thread that made me decide to join here, but something that I read in that thread. I don't remember exactly which post it was or what Don said exactly, but it was something about him talking about how people nowadays have lost their sense of how to build things without proper directions and no longer having the ingenuity to improvise their own solutions/creations. It really struck me as something I've noticed around where I live. When anything goes wrong/breaks, no one tries to fix it themselves first, the first thing they do is hop on their phone and look up the number of a professional to come repair it for them. The concept of buying something pre-made is much preferred to building something yourself.

For example, when I was young my parents were looking for a sturdy shed to put in our backyard for storage. They were about to buy one for around a thousand dollars from Home Depot, when my grand father came and said he could build us one for much cheaper. One weekend later and he had built us a complete sturdy shed complete with shingles, siding, two windows, and a lockable door that matched our house and looked awesome (he may have went a little overkill for just a plain storage shed, however if you're going to do something, you may as well do it right). Fast foward about 14 years later worth of Canadian winters, and the shed still looks as good as it did when he build it. This type of do-it-yourself attitude my grandfather has is something I love and want to continue, and this place seems like a cool place for me to foster that attitude.

Quick things about me:

-19 years old
-I'm a college student studying economics, looking to transfer into environmental economics
-Diesel trucks have been a passion of mine since I was a youngin' riding in my grandfathers truck, and after saving cash for awhile now I'm looking to buy one soon
-My name is Nick
-I'm from western Canada

That's about it. Nice to meet you all.
Nick
2006 Chevrolet 2500 - 6.6L / Allison
1997 GMC 2500 - 5.7L / NV4500

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hey from Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
Nick, welcometo the forum.  This is indeed all that you state and more.  Society no longer fears God and technology has raised a generation of kids that can't think. I too learned a great deal from my father and grandfather and hope to pass that on to my girls.  I want the best for them. And even though they may never have to, I want them to know how if they need to.  Welcome and howdy from Texas. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:35:24 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Hey from Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »
welcome nick,

if there is anything that you needs assistance with, please feel free to let us know and well see what we can do for yah.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
Welcome Nick. I'm in northern Manitoba, build all my stuff out of necessity mainly, but is how I've rolled all my life. I'm the generation older, so had stuff passed from my father, same as you've learned from your grandfather. Lots of good people here, and a well rounded lot of knowledge we well.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »
Welcome Nick,

I like it that you have picked up on that "Teach a man to fish and cure his hunger for a lifetime" thing. Learning to be crafty and handing in a wide variety of areas will trump a PhD in the long run. Having both, smarts and "Fix-it" smarts will make you rare among your peers.

Aligning yourself with positive men who'd rather dive in and get things done rather than sit back and complain or wonder if anyone is going to do anything, certainly can't help. This site is full of the right kind of men to fellowship with and learn from.

The fact that God is here sure won't hurt either!

Welcome to our site!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
Welcome Nick. Glad to have you!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Husker991

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
Welcome Nick! I haven't seen any Canadians on here, but I'm also a newbie too. Glad to have you aboard and hope to learn some things from you along the way.

Jeff
NRA Life of Duty Member
NRA Firearms Instructor
Ford F-150 Off Road
Lifelong Lutheran (Missouri Synod)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »
Welcome Nick!

Glad to have more of my children's generation here to share and learn- dive in and enjoy your time here!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »
Welcome Nick! I haven't seen any Canadians on here, but I'm also a newbie too. Glad to have you aboard and hope to learn some things from you along the way.

Jeff
We are well represented by our friends in Canada
Sam in up in the Artic somewhere...already freezing in!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »
It's nice to have more Canadians, welcome Nick, I'm on the east coast of Canada.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 03:22:15 AM »
Welcome Nick.

I like the intro and seeing your views based on your schooling should prove interesting.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
Welcome
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
Glad you are here.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
Welcome, If there is anything we can assist with on the site please let one of us staff know.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
Welcome Nick. Jump right in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »
Welcome aboard Nick. I've got family in Cardston AB, how far west are you?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »
Welcome Nick!  I, like you, learned a lot from my father, and enjoy fixing (or attempting to fix) all that I can, and when I build something I typically over-engineer it and don't take shortcuts. :)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal