WEAPONS > Other Weapons

Knives,Axes,Tomahawks..... oh my!

(1/14) > >>

BobbyB:
It was brought to my attention, that we are lacking a thread to discuss the pros/cons of the knives that are out on the market. So if you have a knife (folder,fixed,full-tang,rat-tailed), ax or tomahawk that you want to show off and give a review on post it up!

To help out here's an outline.

Manufacturer:
Model # or Name:
Price:
Specs:
How you use it:
Pros:
Cons:

And naturally pics, so we can all enjoy.

KensAuto:
What a coincidence, I just happened to receive this in the mail today. I've been using fixed blade Kershaws for about 25 years now, mostly because of cost, and it usually takes 3 or 4 knives to dress and bone out an elk. I decided to purchase a couple better blades (sub $150.00 range) for the task and this is number 1:

Spyderco Bill Moran FB02, fixed 3-7/8" drop point blade. 8-1/16" overall.
VG-10 steel
Kydex sheath w/adjustable G-Tec clip
Cost: this one was $90ish from Amazon.
Note: scary sharp right out of the box.

Nate:
so I thought I could definitely add something to this thread.  I actually carry and or use 4 different knives on a daily basis.  in the picture below you can see all 4 of those knives.  here are the brands, models, where they are worn/kept and what they are used for.

the first one or top one is a: Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife and it is stored in my go bag or assault pack, it has 4x25’ long pieces of 550 cord braided together for emergency situations when some type of cordage is needed or required.

Specs:
Weight 1.0 lb.
Steel 1095 Cro-Van
Blade Type Fixed Blade Lock Style N/A
Blade Thickness 0.250
Measurements Blade length 5-1/4"; Overall length 10-1/2" Grind Flat
Edge Angles 20 Degrees
Handle Material Zytel 
Shape Drop Point HRC 56-58
Stamp KA-BAR Becker Butt Cap/Guard N/A
NSN 1095-01-493-1798 KNIFE-COMBAT

The second knife is a: Benchmade 9051SBK AFO II AUTOMATIC - UTILITY Combo Edge/BK 1 Black Finish.  this knife is worn on my belt for everyday use.  This knife was given to me by a very dear friend who at the time was the NCOIC of an ODB from 3rd group.  This knife has served me very well for the last 8 years and 3 deployments.  This knife is by far the best knife I have ever owned or used.

Specs:
Category End Use: Tactical/Military/Law Enforcement
Blade Steel: 154CM
Rc Hardness: 58-60
Blade Style: Utility
Handle Material: Hard Anodized 6061-T6 Aluminum
Lock Mechanism: Push Button Automatic
Pocket Clip: Tip Up, Reversible, Black
Length Open: 8.51"
Blade Length: 3.56"
Blade Thickness: 0.125"
Length Closed: 4.95"
Weight: 5.80 oz.
Sheath Type: Black Ballistic Nylon
Made in: U.S.A.

The third knife or tool is a: leatherman supertool 300.  This knife/tool is carried right next to my benchmade and is used for everyday uses.  I originally started off with the plain old supertool.  but over time as parts of it broke or got worn out and sent in for warranty/repair, I have actually been upgraded twice by leatherman company to the new supertool 300.  I really cant say anything bad about this piece of equipment.

The fourth knife is a: Large TDI Law Enforcement Tanto, Serrated.  This knife is stored on my kit.  This knife has many uses but in reality it is a personal protection knife.  Here is a short video from the designer of the knife. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw

Specs:
Blade Length: 3-11/16"
Overall Length: 7-9/16"
Blade Style: Tanto, Serrated Edged Black Blade
Blade Material: AUS-8A Stainless Steel w/ Black Powder Coating
Handle Material: Zytel
Weight: .4 lb.
Carrying Mechanism: Hard Plastic Friction Sheath

BobbyB:
I'll have to post up some of mine when I dig them out of a spare duffel. So this is just a bump...

cruizng:
Being an Office dweller most of my days my selection will be quite a bit different than most I would imagine. These are just some that I thought might be of interest. Out of the 7 I use the little pocket knife the most. It’s about wore out so I will be looking for a replacement.

1)   Manufacturer: Western (Prior to Case purchasing them) Boulder , CO
Model # or Name: W39
Price: About $50.00 now
Specs: Overall 9.5” Fixed Blade 5” Full Tang
How you use it: It has been a vault queen for 30 years. Was Grandfathers.
Saved it just in case I lost the other one just like it.

2)   Manufacturer: Western (Prior to Case purchasing them) Boulder , CO
Model # or Name: F39
Price: About $25.00 now
Specs: Overall 9.5” Fixed Blade 5” Full Tang
How you use it: This has been my go to fixed blade knife for years. Used hunting Elk, Deer, Antelope, and ground hogs… 
Pros: Stays very sharp. Nice curve so you can gut and skin with same knife. Handle doesn’t absorb any fluids. Sheath has nice snap at top that is tight so blade doesn’t slide up exposing the blade. Has been a great knife. Considered VINTAGE now!
Cons: Handle can get slippery when wet.

3)   Manufacturer: Boker Solingen, Germany
Model # or Name: Full Top Lock Auto Cocobolo
Price: $80.00
Specs: Overall 7.75” Blade 3.375”
How you use it: Safe queen
Pros: Nice and heafty. I really like how force full it opens up. 
Cons: Too big for front pant pocket. Ok for belt.

4)   Manufacturer: Hubertus Solingen Rostfrei Geschmiedet - W. Germany
Model # or Name: Lever Lock Auto Stag Handle
Price: $165.00
Specs: Overall 7.75” Blade 3.5”
How you use it: Another Safe queen

5)   Manufacturer: Benchmade
Model # or Name: 154CM Auto
Price: $110.00
Specs: Overall 7.5” Blade 3.25” Clip. Modified drop point.
How you use it: This is my carry when not in office.
Pros: Easy to open and unlock with one hand. Doesn’t unlock on its own. I like the part serrated blade. Carries a very sharp blade for a long time in between sharpening. Has had a lot of use and no blade wiggle. I’m left handed and the controls seem to still work well.
Cons: Too big for inside pocket on dress pants.

6)   Manufacturer: Boker
Model # or Name: Magnum
Price: $45.00
Specs: Overall 8” Blade 3.25” Tanto Auto
How you use it: One of my daily carries. I don’t use as much as other.
Pros: Very sharp. Easy to open with one hand. Tanto blade is sturdy with no wiggle.
Cons: Auto lock is loose. Will slide back and forth easy. Will unlock itself and open in pocket.

7)   Manufacturer: Microtech
Model # or Name: Mini U.D.T. 2643 Auto
Price: $159.00
Specs: Overall 5.625” Blade 2.375” drop point. Serrated
How you use it: In my pocket most every day. Box cutter to gutting fish.   
Pros: Easy to carry in dress pants. Not too noticeable when opening or using in office surroundings. No blade wiggle at all.
Cons: Getting worn out. Spring will not throw all the way open even when well lubed. Lock slide is not smooth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version