Hello Guest

Author Topic: Shifter cable replacement.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Shifter cable replacement.
« on: November 12, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »
So as winter set in, so did the ice in my shift cable.
The rubber boot finally gave up the ghost and in went a bunch of water.
As soon as it froze, so did the cable, and as much as an hour was needed a couple days to get out of park.

So to start off dash has to come apart to gain access.
Once the bottom bolster is off this metal shield is next to go.

With it out you get access to the shift linkage. It simply pops off of the ball stud.

Next you have to pull this staple looking retainer out. This allows you to compress the ears and remove the cable from the bracket.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Shifter cable replacement.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
With the column portion done, remove the trim from the door and footwell.
You can then lift the carpet and felt out of the way. The cable comes in through the floor where your left heel resides.

Once you spilt the two pieces it comes out into the cab. You'll likely break the locks but that's ok if you have both pieces. There is a little E clip that joins the cable halves that needs removed.
It is a two piece cable, but I also will recommend as the dealer will get both pieces. The joining bits on mine exploded from age and mud.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:04:31 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »
I tied on a piece of wire to help fish the new one back in. Not sure if it helped or not.

Pulled through.

It is a miserable path that the cable follows, and there is a wire "cage" that it runs through. Once I broke the original coming out it became apparent that I needed a solution to this. There is a 13mm nut that you can see on a stud. It's not a stud, and the nut was welded to the bracket. It broke free easily and with the cage loose the cable went around the impossible bends.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:02:46 PM »
To clear the column, and to get back in, I had to pull the end into to footwell to make the u turn.

Once fished back into the column, aligning the indexing was a pain but got it in.
Reinserted the staple to lock it for good.

Ran it out to the dirty side and did the bottom.
I did not go bac for pics, as it was super easy after the misery of contorting under the dash.
The coupling is kind of magical, push together hard slide the locks in and done.
I had to do two takes to get all the gear selections back, but it is a self adjusting thing.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »
nice write up
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 01:57:18 PM »
Hope I don't run into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
The reality is if you do, it's likely not worth paying to have done.
IF YOU HAVE SOMEWHERE WARM TO DO IT.
If you're stuck in the driveway, in the cold, would not be so fun as it did likely take an hour inside the cab. I picked the cable up from gmpartsdeopt online for a decent price I think.
$200 to my door, so it was an easy decision to do it myself. No idea what the stealership would want but from past experience likely close to double.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal