Hello Guest

Author Topic: Moving the wall around and new floors  (Read 2364 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Moving the wall around and new floors
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »
When I added to the house after the fire, they added a shear wall right in the middle of the living room Has always driven me nuts. Right now it holds the TV.

When this happened I planned ahead some and added a post for a beam that was to be the accent for the addition. I poured a 3x3x3 footing and this post holds up the main beam. This was cut to match the accent beam, then tied together with 2inch angle and lags from above.(I redid the roof then too)

Now 15 years later, retired and the temp carpet looking like garbage (gotta love pets), we are going for new flooring. But first the wall needs to be removed without loosing the "shear".

So doing the research I found Simpson makes a OSB strongwall that replaces the 6 ft wall I have now. 1 ft replaces 4 ft, I am going with 2ft for the 6ft wall.

At this time the footing is secure with a 6x6 post up to another strong tie where it meets the beams. Few bolts to go but solid!

New strong wall goes along the original foundation left from the addition of this side of the house. The addition is 14x35 and 6ft shear is dead center of where the old outside wall was.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:36:17 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Moving the wall around.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:27:53 AM »
The wall coming out as I said is 6ft wide, house is 24ft arcoss there. The wall is not attached really to anything, but the inspectors liked it.

TV goes to the opposite wall by the fireplace (we have a real one hear!) That post will hold it all up easily. Main beam above is 24in. You can see the accent beam going to the far wall in this picture.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:28:46 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 12:47:11 AM »
So now the fun starts. First was getting the Strongwall. HD never called back from the order desk. Went to what was called Meeks (just sold to some LLC, hope the wood stays the same, just 2 blocks from here) and had it in a week. Not cheap at $700, but should work. Heavy is not the right word here. 3 of us can just move it around. Standing it up will be fun!

Next came opening the flooring, ceiling and the wall. Not the hardest but messy and the wife hate ANY noise, so I work when she's at work.

You can see the Simpson wall in the pic and the bay window for the new kitchen and the old will become a bedroom.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 01:06:24 AM »
Mounting requires two 1 inch rods glued into the foundation, 6 inches remain for mounting the wall. It then gets strapped to the roof joists and the wall behind it. All the hardware is included, less the threaded rods and glue.

Marking it out I drilled the holes using Bauer SDS MAX drill. Started with a new 1 in drill, then hit rebar about 12 inches down. There is 6 inches of wood under the floor too.

At first I was going to modify the HF bit, but it wasn't rated for rebar. Found that Diablo makes a rebar bit just for this and I went to 1 1/8 dia to allow for better glueing. And the Diablo was 36inch long, HF was just 24. Finally got the bit from Amazon after a week, was $108!! Now check out the box it came in, that is a 10x12 envelope in there!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 01:12:52 AM »
Had to make an extention for the wood hole saw too. Was a 3/4 bolt, head cut off then turned down to fit the regular drill. Like I said, there over 6in of wood first.

Drilling the concrate was not that bad. I had started with the 1in, then hit rebar so I got the Diablo. It took well over an hour to get though the 1/2 rebar. Bauer SDS MAX did the job without breaking a sweat. It stalled a couple time on the bar, but made it. By the way the hole is 30in deep, leaving the 6in required to bolt the wall on.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
Well, this is all quite interesting, and unexpected. I guess in my mind I had you moving to the hills outside Reno and tossing a WP Grenade in the Cali house at departure. So, plans are to split living in either location?

The engineering behind this "Mod" is fascinating. You tend to do things the right way and build strong, this is no exception.

Was the moving of that wall a need or a want? You said it was driving you crazy...

So, JR, did you go crazy?  ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 11:16:47 AM »
I just hate the wall, closes the house in. Plans are still to move up the Ridge, but keeping this house up is good juju.

That shearwall is 24 inch, basically an OSB 3 1/2 x 24 inch with steel inserts. 24in can replace 8ft, plus it gets strapped to an existing 4ft of new construction wall from the addition.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
Not breaking any records here, but headway made.

Rods cement in with 6.5in above the floor. 4 tubes of epoxy, 24in the concrete, 6in for flooring.

Roof structure is another story. This house is based off a moduler with iffy rafters at best. Saving grace is the simpson is up against a wall vs being free standing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 08:58:32 PM »
My idea on the rafter is to fill that wedge void and fill the lower 5/8 gap as best I can. There are 2 of those rafters and I believe a 2x10 behind that. Glued and screwed of couse.

Then the simpson wall will be glued and timber screwed to that. Then use the included metal ties for the vertical wall along with a few simpson lags included tying that area into a big "T". Basically it creates a 5ft shear wall at that point. Foundation runs the the whole length of that wall to the front of the house.

For a little context here, I rebuilt the entire roof around 2006. It was sagging bad so I propped it up from inside, then rebuilt any rafter that was broken (3/8 sheet with 1x2s as built. I sistered 1/2 ply inside the rafters then used simpson hangers to screw to the main centerboard (two 24 inch plywood sheets) that were 90% no functional then.

Then I used 7/16 foiled OSB, 1 inch of rigid foam and another layer of OSB. Back then 30lb felt was the ticked and I used 40 year GAF shingles. So good for my lifetime I hope.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 12:16:29 AM »
^^^^^^ Was a long hot summer as I did that is my spare time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 09:01:26 AM »
I know it was.

Good work.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 10:00:49 PM »
Got the wall cut to size and up today. My porter cable saw gave out and I ran down and got a brushless Dewalt XR.

Soon as the boys were home they helped put it up. This thing is around 300lbs so it was work. Had to trim a little sheetrock from the ceiling as it would only go in one way. Even have to tweek the studs a few degree's, but its up.

Also got a Vevor drywall sander/vacuum. Price was right and it will come in handy for a little project in NV.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 10:13:20 PM »
So help me understand jr ... why the hole in the middle and the cut out portion on one side?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 10:22:55 PM »
Progress!  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »
So help me understand jr ... why the hole in the middle and the cut out portion on one side?

Just the way they make it. It was holding all the hardware for mounting this thing. There are 5 plates with special screws and you can add sds lags too. You will see it all and why.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 07:26:36 PM »
Had an "off" weekend, but made this "wrench" for the nuts which are an odd size (40mm). I couldn't see spending $$ for something I would use once.

Wrapped a piece on 1" strap around the nut, using a hammer and the vice (naturaly I ran out of 02 this weekend). Welding it to a 1x1 square tube I had laying around. 3' long, but it came in handy.

When I tightened the nuts up (hand tight plus 1/2 turn) the 3' length was just right. Being a 1x8 threaded rod, thats a 16th against something that is snug already.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »
When I tightened the nuts, I jambed a 2x4 against the opposite wall pushing the shear wall home pretty well. I then added a few drops of locktight to the nuts. Should wick in fine with the coarse threads. Wrench did its job, its not happy now though.

Trimmed some drywall and put a strap (included) between the current wall top plate and the shear wall. Have to use special screws (I had some from the room I added).

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 07:42:23 PM »
It is very close to being plumb, but lines up with the existing wall/sheetrock top and bottom. Existing wall bows in about 3/16 at the center.

Answer to that is cutting the drywall back a couple inches. Lay a strip of wood behind it which will get the sheetrock even with the new shear wall. A few shims in there and it good to go.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 09:46:29 PM »
That looks like a handy kid beatin tool jr! Or branding iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 11:16:47 PM »
Funny my youngest wants a brand with his initials.

If you put your finger in that and turn, but it would break a think or 2.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 08:07:09 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2023, 08:16:42 PM »
Wall is set and shimmed. Even though I measured, then measured again it was 7/16 short when bolted down.

Allowed up 7/8in shim, so I am good. Jacked the ceiling with a 2x4, then tapped it in.

The plate is 1/8 and uses special torx screws that were included. Still plan on adding another strap and a few SDS screws included with it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2023, 12:25:32 AM »
Got back on this, wall is sheeted and ready to mud.

This is the next item to loose.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2023, 12:29:13 AM »
Youngest got up there with the sawzall and did really good. Did have to make 2 cuts as it settled just enough to trap it. It moved, but not enough to push over, no other shifting though. Was really uneventful, just dusty.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2023, 12:36:15 AM »
We cut that up a little and put it outside. Today we cut it up but saved most of the 2x4, 4x4 and 4x6.

This was left on the ceilng, not very secure. 1 side was 1/4 plywood for sheer, and was screwed on.

Yes there was a outlet, but easily dealt with. A couple of steel pieces from the foundation but bottom plate just fell apart otherwise.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2023, 12:43:06 AM »
Still a couple of 2x4 up top left, but not many nails in them.

It really opened the room up as I wanted. Floor is open where the wall was but the couch and book cases. TV was moved to opposite wall. Hardest part there was getting a splitter and wires for the cat5 stuff.

Flooring is next, will be good vinyl with extra as the kitchen gets moved too. There will be an island where the post is.

Yes, the carpet is stained that bad. Wife lets the her rabbit free roam the house. Poop isn't all that bad but it pee's everywhere and she puts floor out for him on the rug.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:46:43 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 07:23:25 AM »
Wow. That did open up. Nice.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 01:53:42 PM »
Yes, feels strange but turned out like I wanted. Screams for a new couch too.

I had this in the works since I did the add on like 15 years ago.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 03:36:39 PM »
Nice space.  Great work.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 10:54:53 PM »
I guess I need to see a layout of the house.   Call my curious now.

Looks great from my view!

What does the Wife do for employment Jr.  That trip to new York sounds stupid expensive.

Rabbit stew I hear is pretty tasty while in New York you could give it a try lol

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2023, 01:43:49 AM »
I love rabbit, but this one has a few issues.

House was 1100sf when I got it. Added 350 with an addition in early 2000s with a den/office space. Then I burned the 2 car garage down, then rebuilt with a 3 car and man cave.
Then added a room and 1/2 bath upstairs next to man cave, giving up just a little room, but added a stairway too (in the office)

Think I have plans posted some place. Next come all new floors, kitchen (still original 80s) and maybe a couple other little things.

This is all while I build the ridge too!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
Maybe change the locks while she’s gone….

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 10:48:30 PM »
Its still to mutual benefit really. I pay for the house, she pays for kids with 1 still in HS 2 more years. I'm insured through her for now.

She makes more right now and we have the same retirement system.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »
Its still to mutual benefit really. I pay for the house, she pays for kids with 1 still in HS 2 more years. I'm insured through her for now.

She makes more right now and we have the same retirement system.
Well, from my view, you have a tolerable situation that sucks! (Can I say that here??) I couldn't do it, you have more/better character than me. I'd kidnap the kids and live in a tent on the ridge and tell everyone there she is super liberal and wants to enact gun control for everyone on "the ridge."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2023, 12:46:17 PM »
I think I’m with [mention]Flyin6 [/mention] on that which only means your a better man then I could be.  I have a routine, a schedule, habits (good or bad pending who ya ask) when those are disrupted it wreaks me for days!

Good job on the wall removal !

How much did that el Camino go for? It was super clean and definitely rust free!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2023, 01:52:24 PM »
Got 6500 for the Elky, I kept the LS swap stuff. Another 2k for that easy. Had the whole thing listed for 10k. Feels funny having it for over 25 years, super reliable.

As to the home situation, I do as I please when I please. Buy what I want, but I tell her when I leave for a couple days like to the ridge.

It is tolerable, but thats about it. No real fireworks unless you mention Trump or facts about things. Kids fully understand the situation as it is.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2023, 05:23:28 PM »
Got 6500 for the Elky, I kept the LS swap stuff. Another 2k for that easy. Had the whole thing listed for 10k. Feels funny having it for over 25 years, super reliable.

As to the home situation, I do as I please when I please. Buy what I want, but I tell her when I leave for a couple days like to the ridge.

It is tolerable, but thats about it. No real fireworks unless you mention Trump or facts about things. Kids fully understand the situation as it is.
Try as you may, your children will develop mistrust or something akin to it. Pray that it does not affect their future marriages. What the father does is the most important factor in many children's development. By maintaining a level head and keeping it in the middle will also teach them tolerance and grace. The thing is, although you are the one likely most shaping them in a positive way, she will take much of the credit in the years to come. This is where we get back to biblical teachings. It is what we do in secret that matters. You may not get the pat on the back that you deserve in this life, but in the coming life, you will be rewarded.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2023, 07:17:01 PM »
I am very confident my daughter and youngest boy have their heads and feet on solid ground.

Oldest boy is still a work in progress. Has it to easy for now. 18 and out of school. Doesn't want to work, just play (3d model) on the PC. He may have a future in that but it not something that pays for a long time. Looking at an electrical apprentice school for him in the fall, he likes that and did some in HS.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2023, 12:48:17 AM »
JR, if he likes 3D modeling I’d think a cnc machinist / programming apprenticeship would make a lot of sense. He may have to leave Cali to find work (many shops I know in manufacturing are leaving the state in droves).
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2023, 12:48:11 PM »
Got him a printer for Christmas, he uses it a lot. Built a PC. He has some potential for sure, but getting him out is the issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2024, 03:31:33 PM »
Not sure why I never posted the wall being 95% finished. Doing the floors now and about the wrap around the corner of it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Moving the wall around and new floors
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2024, 03:46:08 PM »
Looks like never had a thread for the floors, so I'll add it in here. It all goes together anyway. Carpet is a disaster as only meant to be temp, that was 15 years ago. Add a couple pets, kids and cheap carpet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had started in the front just before Christmas hoping to have the living room done, didn't work out. Then after laying a few courses, I decided to start over in the rear left corner of the house (dining room). Supposed to work left to right, front of the house meant I was having to go backwards through the hallway and kids.

So after the repairs to the vent system in the process I have now finished the dining room.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2024, 03:49:26 PM »
Front area I tore out, about 90% of the panels were still good and have used up all but a few strips now. Most of them will be used on the far wall.

I also moved a vent from the middle of the floor over to the wall.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2024, 10:56:44 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned it, but I used the same flooring in my master bedroom after tearing out the carpet a few years ago. It's holding up well.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2024, 11:03:53 PM »
This newer stuff is nice. There a learning curve too. As I said before, soapy water is a blessing.

Bet your room is bigger than my dining room!

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2024, 08:45:12 AM »
This newer stuff is nice. There a learning curve too. As I said before, soapy water is a blessing.

Bet your room is bigger than my dining room!
She has a big master BR. Well, for that matter, everything is big in this house
W A Y  T O O  B I G !

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2024, 02:20:09 PM »
I figured with your past posts. Was it 4k sq ft? My lot here is just 8k!

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2024, 02:54:02 PM »
I figured with your past posts. Was it 4k sq ft? My lot here is just 8k!
Closer to twice that
7,500 sq ft that is heated (Everything is heated.
Take out the garages and it's 5,300.

We did a bedroom/bathroom for each of the kids (one jack and jill) Now they are all gone, and I am thinking it is time to sell and downsize.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2024, 03:13:52 PM »
Dang, i'm about 1600 with 4br and 2.5 baths. Add in the cave upstairs for another 350 or so.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2024, 06:41:04 PM »
I'm not bragging, rather, complaining!
Too much maintenance and a lot of time spent cleaning. New place will be 1/3 this size or smaller.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal