VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Drones, Boats, Flying and Floating Things

Looking at inflatables

(1/6) > >>

JR:
Thinking for some time about a smallish inflatable around 10 ft for fishing and other things. This size will go into the shell if deflated a little and will do well on a trolling motor and AGM batteries. I can get a 40lb trolling motor for $100 and have several AGM batteries and can charge in use with a single solar panel.

I am seeing them starting for around 600 for what I would say is OK. Most are made from .9mm or 1.2mm pvc now. I want 2 bench seats at least so that sets the size at around 9.8ft minimum.

I seem to be drawn to the round or squarer bows and rounded ends on the tubes. Some have splash guards all around and on the transom for that little wave that follows you. Some have alum decks, other have air-filled decks.

I can always get an outboard, but then I have to go through all the registration crud.

Feedback, recommendations??

Sammconn:
JR, mine is an older Achilles, just shy of 12 feet. To my knowledge it is the .9mm material.
I don't have seats, and I think they are needed, not fun hangin butt in the waves sitting on the tube edge.
It has a three piece wooden floor, plus an inflatable bow pillow.

IT IS SMALL.

It is also nice that I can throw it on the rack of the quad, or tie it to a pack frame, and take it wherever.
I have only run it with an 8hp outboard, which is insufficient for anything more than me alone.
Insufficient being getting on plane and moving out in a hurry.
It does quite well, just pushing around, and if you are not after speed, then the electric will do just fine.
Heck the 50 pounder on my Lund moves it around just fine, just not fast.

As for the bow, it is the rounded bow, is supposed to have four chambers, but currently sports three.
I didn't blow the baffle, a previous owner did that, and monitoring pressure properly would have eliminated the rupture.
I don't know a lot of the internal construction, but it is not a cheap repair, and one I will likely not do.

Depending on requirements, some will take a .22LR at point blank (maybe more) without damage, may be the 1.2mm, I don't know for sure.
So that may be something to consider as well.

JR:
Thanks Sam. I will use this mostly for mountain lakes, maybe a little down here at SL so it will not be inflated until use.

They say a 55lb motor is recommended, but they start at 200 if you lucky and moving it around is all I am looking for. I do not expect it to plane.

It will be me, 1-2 boys for fishing, but want the option to put 5 in it if need be. I want a swivel seat in the back for me and have seen them on pedestals and mounted on the seats. 

Wilbur:
I think this is what you need....just sayin' ha!

I think something like that would be great. I also like the idea of mounting a trolling motor on a canoe - via a square stern or with the mounting board that goes across the back.

KensAuto:
That doesn't look like any canoe I have ever seen. lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version