Hello Guest

Author Topic: Saw a scary one today,,,,,,,  (Read 1536 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Saw a scary one today,,,,,,,
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »
As many off you know our trucks can tow quite a bit. I have even seen a few pulling doubles, normally a 5th with a boat behind it. Not a terrible thing if you don't go over the GVW "AND" have the proper braking for the combination.

Now with that said the 1st trailer MUST be a 5th/gooseneck type trailer and the 2nd can be a bumper pull. Proper baking for the CVGW is a must and is what CHP will look at most of time.

What I saw today (no picture) and at highway speed was a what looked a dodge, pulling I would say a 25-30 bumper pull trailer with a boat behind that. It was a nice FG type boat too, not a little alum toy. This is illegal and  an accident waiting to happen.

Now in Ca it is also legal to have a passenger in a trailer as long as the trailer is a 5th type and the passengers can communicate with the cab.

There are also MANY other rules and endorsments that come into play, endorsments, commercial or not, length.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Saw a scary one today,,,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
This was me last weekend. I didn't measure it but I know im over length. I only went 12 miles.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »
JR I've seen those kinds of things too.  Your post made me think.  Braking on the second trailer would be interesting.  I know of no way to do it with electric so I assume it would have to be surge brakes??
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Boat trailers will be surge only, if anything at all. Under a certain weight, no brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal