Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 8, This thing ever going to get finished?  (Read 108691 times)

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 8, This thing ever going to get finished?
« Reply #450 on: December 29, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
It will be sad to never see this project completed. But, there comes a time where the cost is simply too high. The money allocated may be better spent in other areas especially when a guy has a family to think about. I do not see it as giving up. I know that whatever you decide will be in the best interest of you and your family. Good luck with the decision.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
Pray on it Don......REGARDLESS of the final decision/outcome: This project is what built this site- that little factor has paid tremendous dividends in multiple areas. Most importantly, the seeds sown and some already harvested in Christ’s name. You know some of those names Don (some we don’t and may never) and I know that they are worth more than ALL the money each one of us have expended on topics covered on the Real Man site!

God will provide the answer, solution and resolution.....God bless YOU for putting together the framework that has allowed this merry band of misfits who would have likely never crossed paths otherwise!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 29, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »

Pray on it Don......REGARDLESS of the final decision/outcome: This project is what built this site- that little factor has paid tremendous dividends in multiple areas. Most importantly, the seeds sown and some already harvested in Christ?s name. You know some of those names Don (some we don?t and may never) and I know that they are worth more than ALL the money each one of us have expended on topics covered on the Real Man site!

God will provide the answer, solution and resolution.....God bless YOU for putting together the framework that has allowed this merry band of misfits who would have likely never crossed paths otherwise!

This is exactly how I feel. In my case not so much the truck build as the group that was formed by it.

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
Square D brought me to the site. It's amazing how much I've learned here. A great bunch of guys with all kinds of talent. However this project ends, thank you.

Jeff

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Wow, these comments

Certainly "square" one up

You know, there have been times when i worried if this thing was moving to "Idol" status with me and some (all???) of you.

I certainly don't want it to be. I guess I really don't believe it, or I'd be the one to burn it down. Nothing and I mean nothing overshadows the Lord on this site. So this truck which flirted with being too important has been set, perhaps, in its proper place. It is in the end, simply only a truck.

Mike said it well when he referred to how it brought together and then cemented a group of men. For most reasons, that is a pretty good thing, and I'd like to think the camaraderie generated by this nearly incredible journey has indeed paid spiritual dividends for some of us here, maybe more than we know...?

So, yea, that weighs on me folks. I mean on one hand the relationships this build has generated will in some cases last, in some cases have been mutually helpful, and in some cases served as a learning tool (citing Halsey's comments). I feel responsible to finish it and use it, so the darned thing doesn't turn into a failure, which it is not. But, I'm thinking (Knowing?) it's gonna be thousands to push it over the top to being a driver...and with all these unanswered questions about exactly what is required to do that, well it aint easy.

Still too much to process at the moment, but after seeing the really wonderful comments by all of you who responded, I won't tear it apart, I guess you all deserve better than that. So, let me say a prayer or two about this and sit on it a bit and see what shakes out...OK?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:22:30 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 29, 2017, 10:23:15 PM »
It will be sad to never see this project completed. But, there comes a time where the cost is simply too high. The money allocated may be better spent in other areas especially when a guy has a family to think about. I do not see it as giving up. I know that whatever you decide will be in the best interest of you and your family. Good luck with the decision.
Thanks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »
Square D brought me to the site. It's amazing how much I've learned here. A great bunch of guys with all kinds of talent. However this project ends, thank you.

Jeff
No... Thank You! that's real stuff right there^^^
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:25:14 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »
Pray on it Don......REGARDLESS of the final decision/outcome: This project is what built this site- that little factor has paid tremendous dividends in multiple areas. Most importantly, the seeds sown and some already harvested in Christ’s name. You know some of those names Don (some we don’t and may never) and I know that they are worth more than ALL the money each one of us have expended on topics covered on the Real Man site!

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Now it has been a year or so,,,,,,,,,. So no worry about getting it done NOW, but you know where you are too.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
My 2 cents (and that’s a high valuation btw).....

Have Nate & Norm come pick it up. If they are still willing that is? Norm has a big shop, he needs more projects (insert eye roll). If nothing else he has a good place to store it for a bit. It gives us all something to harass him about rather than you. Think delegating the work load here, that’s what guys in charge do right? :wink: Once he gets that new shop squared away and a couple other things that are consuming his time maybe this is something he tackles? I’d call Norm & chew some fat, he’s always good for that & he’ll give you an honest opinion whether you like it or not. You probably won’t but what can it hurt. One last thing, Nate needs more miles on that bling new truck anyhow.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:10 PM »
My 2 cents (and that’s a high valuation btw).....

Have Nate & Norm come pick it up. If they are still willing that is? Norm has a big shop, he needs more projects (insert eye roll). If nothing else he has a good place to store it for a bit. It gives us all something to harass him about rather than you. Think delegating the work load here, that’s what guys in charge do right? :wink: Once he gets that new shop squared away and a couple other things that are consuming his time maybe this is something he tackles? I’d call Norm & chew some fat, he’s always good for that & he’ll give you an honest opinion whether you like it or not. You probably won’t but what can it hurt. One last thing, Nate needs more miles on that bling new truck anyhow.....

This was my instant thought, but Shawn beat me to the punch. If not them, I’m sure someone with enough knowledge to knock it out is here.

I don’t think this truck has ever been an idol for anybody, maybe a little bit of jealousy, but that is absolutely overcome by the bonds that have been created, the seeds that have been planted, and those who have come to know THE Savior due to the creation of this sight.....which started with  square D.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 30, 2017, 12:22:23 AM »
Honestly don't see how this is a big deal. 120/hr in the 'tuck? Holy moly... I might be under charging.
Pull trans, 2 hrs, even with your custom work. Pull the pilot bearing out of the crankshaft (maybe I'm joking??), And slap it back together... total time 6ish hours...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 30, 2017, 12:33:35 AM »
Honestly don't see how this is a big deal. 120/hr in the 'tuck? Holy moly... I might be under charging.
Pull trans, 2 hrs, even with your custom work. Pull the pilot bearing out of the crankshaft (maybe I'm joking??), And slap it back together... total time 6ish hours...

There you go, see Ken just volunteered his services & plane tickets are cheap....... :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 30, 2017, 12:58:44 AM »
119/hr and I get to use Don's shop, after wrestling his tools away from sled dog!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2017, 02:57:24 AM »
Or just pull the motor?

$75hr, retired pricing

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
119/hr and I get to use Don's shop, after wrestling his tools away from sled dog!

You can’t yse Dons shop, he’s gonna need it to swap the diesel into the Jeep. Keep thing son perspective people!   :grin:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
OK, now you boneheads know darned well, I wouldn't ask anyone to do my work, end of discussion

But, after sitting on it a bit, here's what I should do.

I'll go get it and bring it home. I'll pull it down myself. I roughly calculated with what I'd spend on labor alone, I could purchase a Transmission jack, build a new 12 X 12 shed down farmside and mill this mysterious nosecone to fit the crank or flywheel.

So done deal, Square D comes home and I'll fix it myself.

Motor is running at least, and I know I have a hydro-boost problem and a torque converter that isn't attached, nor fitting.

So soon as the new year gets cranked back up, I'll go get it.

One big caveat: I haven't talked to Mike yet at the diesel shop. SHould he offer me something reasonable to do the trans/converter work, I may still let him do it, however, I think that has a low, low possibility.

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 30, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
Excellent!  good plan and subplan.

Onward...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 30, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Excellent!  good plan and subplan.

Onward...
Glad you approve ;-)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 30, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
I am just another Dave.... but I think the truck needs finished, what are you gonna pull c-max and the GJeep out of the mulch beds with.   Plus someone needs to post this truck finished in the “other” place as bragging rights!

And there is that giant cool factor of the SquareD running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 30, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »
 :likebutton: ^^^^^^both of those ^^^^^^^

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 31, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »
I’m looking forward to photos of SqD farmside completely covered in mud.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 31, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
I’m looking forward to photos of SqD farmside completely covered in mud.

Yes. THIS^^!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
Don,

Makes me happy that you have a plan forward Square D is a project nothing more. For those of use to chicken to put up our own projects it gives us hope that at some point we will complete our own projects.

Steve

OldKooT

« Reply #473 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
Don...if you need to send it this way...done deal. But I think you "got this" if that's your desire.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 03, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
Don...if you need to send it this way...done deal. But I think you "got this" if that's your desire.

Love ya man!

But I have this (Again...)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 05, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
I'm glad you've decided to move forward towards completion of SqD! Nothing easy in life is worth doing, and the Lord puts trials in our journey to make us stronger.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 14, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
I'm glad you've decided to move forward towards completion of SqD! Nothing easy in life is worth doing, and the Lord puts trials in our journey to make us stronger.
Rog

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 15, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
I’m looking forward to photos of SqD farmside completely submerged in the pond (to test the snorkel, of course).

FIFY
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Sorry to read about your troubles.  I was just telling a co worker about your build and the extent you went to build it, so I figured Id come here to check on things.   I hope things get figured out.  I know the decision can be painful to continue to drop money on something you've already spent so much on, but it doesn't seem like something that cannot be overcome. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
Sorry to read about your troubles.  I was just telling a co worker about your build and the extent you went to build it, so I figured Id come here to check on things.   I hope things get figured out.  I know the decision can be painful to continue to drop money on something you've already spent so much on, but it doesn't seem like something that cannot be overcome. 
Yea, its no fun.
I spent $1,900 just to find out what was wrong and get the timing set.
I trusted a diesel mech to time it, actually two. Both failed to get it right which is disappointing. Then there's this thing with the converter not fitting the flywheel, and the brake system which blows out seals. I'm thinking that may simply be a crossed up hydraulic line somewhere, dunno, but labor has crossed the threshold of ridiculous IMHO.
So I'll throw some more work at this and if I can't pull it together, I'm sacking the project and putting a thousand parts up for sale. I'll keep it reasonable, shoot for 25K and settle for 20K and NEVER go back and do this again.

Life is too short, labor these days is both too expensive and of poor quality in most places. I no longer have time to spend on such a trivial project, so it is what it is, and at the moment that ain't much!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 30, 2018, 09:01:25 PM »
A trivial project? Half of RMTWS is based on SD.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 30, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »
A majority of the DOT activity also occurs in that thread, the rest is on Ken’s sig line...... :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
A trivial project? Half of RMTWS is based on SD.
:beercheers:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
 :likebutton: :knucklehead:

OldKooT

« Reply #484 on: February 05, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
Don... the brake thing is likely simple, as you well know.

Didn't some of those HD/Custom converters require a spacer for clearance to bolt up to the flywheel? Pretty sure Patch has one between the block plate and the trans to allow the ATS converter to bolt up.  Might be worth a call to your converter manufacture.

Offers still open man...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 05, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
Don... the brake thing is likely simple, as you well know.

Didn't some of those HD/Custom converters require a spacer for clearance to bolt up to the flywheel? Pretty sure Patch has one between the block plate and the trans to allow the ATS converter to bolt up.  Might be worth a call to your converter manufacture.

Offers still open man...
They just contacted me with the bill for now.

Too many other moving parts including the thing we spoke of to have any time for that old Dodge right now.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
stop the presses!!!!!!!!!!!

theres talk of you wanting/getting an XJ?  whats the real story with square d?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
stop the presses!!!!!!!!!!!

theres talk of you wanting/getting an XJ?  whats the real story with square d?!
I'm in a state of flux on this one

Continue

Hold

Sell

Part out

?????

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 05, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »
Just finish it and move that thing by to full time farm duty !!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 05, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
You can’t sell it!  Or fix it, or part it out. I’ve started using it as a landmark when I give people directions to the office......”when you see the green dodge that looks like it would be fun to drive if it ran, you’re almost there. “

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2018, 01:29:19 AM »
Lol!!! That’s fantastic!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
You can’t sell it!  Or fix it, or part it out. I’ve started using it as a landmark when I give people directions to the office......”when you see the green dodge that looks like it would be fun to drive if it ran, you’re almost there. “

:likebutton:

ROFL

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
Well, it's probably a better landmark then say turn by the big stump..

And no I wasn't calling Sq D a big non moving stump although I could see the correlation between the two. :popcorn:

OldKooT

« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:04 AM »
So, you want me to make it run and drive Don? *serious offer if needed man.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
So, you want me to make it run and drive Don? *serious offer if needed man.

I think you just need to buy it from me...#sotiredofthattruck

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
I think Charles needs to buy it, send it to Norm to fix "all" of the issues and then Charles can come pick it up and deliver to the body shop of his choice for a red paint job....  :popcorn:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
If it was a crew cab, I'd consider it....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
If it was a crew cab, I'd consider it....

Kids can ride in the topper..... your user name does have redneck in it right? :wink:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
 :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal