Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1329159 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #500 on: May 25, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »
Took my truck in to get lower rad hose changed and get a flush and change out the squeaky fan belt while its in there. Had them check everything else out while its in there. We are headed to KY end of next month.  Found a bad wheel bearing. Gotta fix that now. Its better to find it now than later but I don't have that much cash laying around. I might have to get creative. I don't have the final bill yet but I know the hose cost more than I thought. Plus the flush. Now add another $400 for the wheel bearing. I don't know how much labor is involved with the Rad hose but the guy was elbow deep in grime and said it was a huge pain in the ass. I said Yea. I took one look at the picture of the hose and said nope its going to the dealer. Yea I probably could have figured it out on my own but it would have taken a couple days. Sometimes it just better to let the guy do it that already knows what hes doing.

For thoes of you who don't know  the lower rad hose on a lbz duramax looks like this. You drain the radiator by pulling off the hose and letting it run out.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:45:59 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 25, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
ugh, no thanks!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 25, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
Haven't had to do mine yet...
I have gotten intimate with it a couple times over the years, and draining sucks.
Still at a loss why there isn't a drain bung.

Not sure if I'd want to tackle it or not, probably would being that I'm cheap that way, but in the right day I'd pay to have it done just the same.

Yesterday, got some of the marina docks fit for the summer, and started to pack for my trip.
Heading out for the team qualifier for the military small arms competition that I partake in annually. Probably spend the week coaching instead of shooting, then have to put on my big boy pants and prove what I've spent the week preaching... Seems to be how it always goes, but that is also part of the 'bringing the skills to the unit' thing I suppose.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 25, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
You need to check it. There is a little metal clip on the frame on the passenger side. With age the hose droops and rubbs on this clip. That's why I had to change it. Its a common problem from what I understand.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 25, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »
Yes was aware of that. Still good for the time being.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 25, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
Yep, I found the only way to drain was pulling the hose, what a joke! And they are held on with clips, not clamps to boot.

For the hub, it is a 1 hour job and the best price on the hubs is a guy on Ebay selling timkens for $137. I actually carry a spare that run like $50 (just used it). Better to have a spare on a trip as it will run you hundreds and it always goes at the wrong time. Check your upper ball joints too. Easy fix but I have gone through several.

Tate, will send you pics of the Sami. It will need to be trailered, but it is nice with LOTS of parts!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »
I drained my rad fluid and was concerned about the fluid that I guess goes bad and messes up all kinds of parts when it does

Anyone know truth of this? I think the orange is what I have in my radiator

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 26, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »
Stick with Dexcool or similar.  Make sure to use distilled water only to dilute and run some plain water to dilute and get most of whats in the block out.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 27, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
There is truth to the degradation. I don't remember exactly, but believe it can get acidic...
When I had my Kenworth I had it checked at least annually. I remember in my younger years on the farm having to re-sleeve the motor in our JD 4630. Hmm I was 14, doing HD diesel...guess that explains a bit about me...
Not sure if the same holds true today with some of the advances, but I change the coolant every few years in my truck still.
I'm running prestone, right wrong or otherwise...
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 27, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Lower rad hose rubbing on that clip, Jon. Hope to knock out the coolant change and maybe my TransGo Jr and double drain and fill with Transynd this long weekend -- have 5 days off and I've had coolant and distilled water sitting in the garage for about 9, no 10, months now. My 100,000 mile "oil change" is now approaching 106K... 
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
The transgo is easy, just plan a few hours.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
Primered shed, took 3x as much paint as what the guy at hd estimated. So two trips there, got it finished right before it started raining again.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »
Worked 12 hrs, so I got some OT pay next paycheck.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 28, 2016, 09:13:25 PM »
I pressure washed the hole outside of my home, cleaned and rainexed the outside of the Windows, then lifted up onesies of the truck and washed the winter grime and grease off
Now to relax with the boys and wife and try and watch a movie

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
So, my brother finally decided to leave the big city of Phoenix and bought some land near me, This weekend he wanted to spend some time there and do some tractor work. The ground is pure silt with creosote bushes scattered about. I recommend having water on hand to keep the neighbors from calling in for excessive dust. Rental place wants 120 for a 500gal trailer, so I says "don't worry, I'll handle the water". I proceed to order a 2" waterpump that that came with both the suction and discharge hoses from Amazonia for about 240, and a 2" spray nozzle for 40 bucks, and beg my buddy with a scrap yard for some 330 gal totes....so for 280.00 we have a good dust control system.

...then, after renting a backhoe in addition to my little tractor, one of his neighbors that is almost done building a house next door, gives us a bunch of bad news concerning the nightmare he has had dealing with current county regs about water drainage redirection, and placement of culverts, material/size of the culverts, and placement of the future house in relation to the current washes(arroyo, dry creak).
The property has several washes. In the past, it was okay to just divert them as long as they ended up leaving the property in the same place...now, not so much. A hydrologist has to look at it, an engineer has to make recommendations, etc. Grease this palm, then that one, and so forth.
It's been an expensive lesson.
....So much for rural life.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:05:41 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
Finished the paver patio. Just need to sand it.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2016, 07:19:23 AM »
Yesterday I was sandblasting yet another old Dodge frame and a Jeep Jk drives in the driveway honking it's horn. Turns out my daughter her husband and their kids drove down from Wisconsin for a surprise weekend visit in there new JK.

So we called my Mom and told her she should come see us and we surprised her also with them being here.

Much grilling, bonfire and adult beverage consuming commenced. The grandkids played until they dropped...we got a Razor stuck in the back yard...then got a Power wagon stuck retrieving it.... we then got a JK stuck and well.... Patch saved the day and drug them all out. Just goes to show....mall terrain rubber is no good after 10 days of rain.

Since none of them will be awake before 10 am I am headed out to sandblast some more and hopefully at least get two thirds the frame in primer.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »
^^^ pictures or it didn't happen^^^^

I wish I had a area where I could sand blast stuff!!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:54:26 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
Yep, I found the only way to drain was pulling the hose, what a joke! And they are held on with clips, not clamps to boot.

For the hub, it is a 1 hour job and the best price on the hubs is a guy on Ebay selling timkens for $137. I actually carry a spare that run like $50 (just used it). Better to have a spare on a trip as it will run you hundreds and it always goes at the wrong time. Check your upper ball joints too. Easy fix but I have gone through several.

Tate, will send you pics of the Sami. It will need to be trailered, but it is nice with LOTS of parts!!

Got a moog 300 bucks. GM ones are $625. I could have done it myself but it was already at the shop and I didn't have time.

OldKooT

« Reply #519 on: May 30, 2016, 07:09:29 AM »
While I wait for the sun to show up...Yesterday was another long but enjoyable day. The grandkids played with a energy I can't even remember having. They went swimming in our pool, they went exploring in the woods, they helped me clean up my mess from sandblasting....I managed to get the truck frame I am working on inside the shop. Then we spent a hour or so shooting from the porch. After the brass emptying, my wife fixed grilled trout and sweetcorn and all the fixings.

They are going to head back to Wis this morning, so hopefully they will have a safe trip and us old people can semi recover.

Hopefully this morning I can get some wrench time in on the project...then there is the ceremony at the graveyard and parade...then hopefully more wrench time. 

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 30, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »
Sounds like an awesome weekend to be a Grandpa! ;)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 30, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
We went camping all weekend with friend and family. Came home this morning with a sore back I assume from the lumpy old mattress in the camper.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 30, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
My oldest boy went to help at the local memorial as a Boyscout.

I hope they have a safe trip too, sounds like fun. Kids and grandkids suck the energy from us!!

We just let the kids swim, I swim when they sleep (well I use a tube with a "beverage holder")

I sleep better in the TH. Probably because I do so much when camping and the board under the mattress makes it very firm.

Off to see Captain America.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:16:15 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 30, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »
Spent the day at West Point, what a place. Lots of training and schooling but a very nice location with beautiful old buildings. The arms, both large and small, museum was really great. 

Bad part was that they would not use Washington drivers license as valid ID to get on the base. Yup only four states in the United States the Feds won't use driver licenses as ID and Washington is one of them. We had to leave and come back the next day with our passports to get on Base.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Spent the day at the range.
36 shooters to get weapons checked for service and zeroed.

My back aches something fierce at the moment, I'm one of the resident gun plumbers of our unit, and after checking all the weapons, spent all the afternoon doing sight changes...

Now time for some ice cold wobbly pops to soften the back.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 30, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »
Went to the Army Corps park at lake Sam Rayburn with the Redneck Hotel and the family.  Rented a boat for the weekend and drug the kids around the lake on an inflatable for the first time.  They will never be the same.  They are trying to talk me into another boat....

Drove back to the weekend place/hide today and tended the garden.  Squash went from 4 inches to 12 inches and as big around as a softball in one week!  Jalapeno's are putting out and they are nice and spicy.  Tomato plants are going nuts.  Above the cages and now I am tying strings from the cages to the wire roof over the garden to train them up. 

Back is on fire.  Been down in my back for 4 days.  Also had a cold.  Coughing causes me to wince in pain and I can barely move.  Powering through it but man, I need to get back in the floor with my Wheel of Death to strengthen the core.

Pics to follow.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 30, 2016, 10:24:09 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 30, 2016, 11:57:37 PM »
Started my morning off with a flooded laundry room, so em and a neighbor hauled it to the garage
Tore it down to the bare bones and found nothing dripping or leaking. I cleaned the hole thing and bought a washer tray and put it back until next time I guess.

Made three trips to homodepo for the usual for got a part trip while fixing a broken line from this last falls concrete replacement.  First needed some fresh 3/4 pvc pipe and a 90 degree.  Home and forgot I needed two straights to connect them, then I needed some glue of course because what was in mine was solid in the can so back to the store.

Had a break from repairs and had a bbq with a neighbor.  Burgers and dogs.  Then some clean up time in the garage

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 31, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
...Continued on a three day long quest to destroy everything I own at the farm...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2016, 11:04:48 PM »
How about some head light photos

Step one 250 grit 
Step two 600 grit
Step three -five forget to take photos

Close enough to called finished.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »
wow, they must have been real bad for 250!!!! Nice job.

My wifes captiva does fine, but her old saturn was bad. I kept a supply of Maguier's polish for that.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:53 PM »
They had some pretty good pitting from rock chips. So I sanded them out 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:58:22 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »
Good work! Amazing what a little elbow grease can produce!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
spent morning trying to line up steel vendors again this time in downtown Denver, ordered more wr450 parts from cycle shop, FedEx man delivered other wr450 parts, picked up more deck posts & sack Crete then spent afternoon on wrong side of a set of dummy sticks, pulled a fence post with the jeep and winch in preparation for concrete guys in morning.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
spent morning trying to line up steel vendors again this time in downtown Denver, ordered more wr450 parts from cycle shop, FedEx man delivered other wr450 parts, picked up more deck posts & sack Crete then spent afternoon on wrong side of a set of dummy sticks, pulled a fence post with the jeep and winch in preparation for concrete guys in morning.
Man you're going full tilt into this place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
You know Don it's a different world out here. Space is a premium I don't have much of & everyone charges huge sums for monthly. So with that said & for first time in my life I am dealing with an hoa & their "rules" of which reminds of my past experience with county planning commissions & their "rules". You see these rules are a great idea to help keep normal people in check & maintain property values. Then you get guys like us here who see rules (that aren't very specific btw) which can be interpreted many ways. For most people they live in a black and white area, me not so much. I like living in the gray areas, as such I follow the rules to my interpretation not that of the gen pop. So we'll see how this all works out over the long term, but my track record says I'll be ok.

On another note, the steel industry here locally. Back in Indiana we had a couple local steel mills. One of the founders Keith Busey always said there were no customers west of the Rockies. So moving here I thought (& I bought a lot of steel out of Iowa over the years too) that I'm east of the Rockies & Colorado to Iowa isn't any farther than Iowa to Indiana. Seemed logical to me anyhow, well the crazy thing is the pride here in Colorado. These boys sure are proud of their steel at least that's my thinking when looking at the quotes I keep getting......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
HOA's...one of my (not) favorite subjects

I am the president of mine...something which keeps the loonies in check and makes my life miserable at times. But helped mature me as well. Now I simply disregard the pettiness of it all.

What kills me and has soured the relationship I might have had with some of these plastic people is when one of them comes to me and complains about their neighbor. My first question is, "Did you talk to them about this." When I get "No, it's not mu job." Well I give them my standard line about growing a pair and we part ways, me going back to normal, and the plasticized liberal with something else to talk about behind someone's back...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
I have pretty "good" neighbors, if you consider nosey & gossipy good? I get along with them & am cordial to all of them. So far I've kept my mouth shut when a couple of the neighbor ladies made some slight wordy jab. My wife was pretty spun up about it but that's womenz for ya! Reality is they know nothing about us but in their minds they are worth more or have done more or are cooler or whatever. All stuff I have no interest in really as I could care less how or what their life consists of being. They did try to recruit me for the HOA board & I laughed at them & declined.

I have also learned to keep my projects with the garage door open limited to 1st shift hours during the week. Otherwise I get them inviting themselves into my garage to nose around more. The largest problem being that all work stops because I have a room full of knuckleheads.....

Ah the life in suburbia hell..... ;D

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
Had a few dealings with HOA's. They have a place but in no way should have the powers they do someplaces.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
people suck.  end of story. (most of them anyway)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
TRN, tell us how you really feel! ???

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 02, 2016, 10:17:51 PM »
I am on a HOA board, I feel I have been a benefit to the community, while I don't agree with all rules I also live in an area that with out these simple no brainier rules this place would be a total dump.  However I plan on moving ASAP to more land higher fence( I don't have one now) and a spot to put all of my things and a door to keep pesky nosy neighbors out. 

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2016, 07:59:33 AM »
Been hauling corn to town. Loading out of a 6 in auger takes a while to fill a semi. In the mean time while it filling I got the gate put on the chicken pen. I built it 3 weeks ago and jsut never had time to get it on. No more unwiring the fence. Then I got the old grinder mixer out of retirement to grind feed for said chickens. IT hasnet been used in 3 years. So everything was rusted in place and had to chase the rats out of it.

Today while the truck is loading Im going to get feed ground. Maybe get started checking bearings on the camper. Wife got all the campgrounds reserved for our Kentucky trip the end of the month. Anyone in the Cincinnati area we will be at Winton Woods campground Jun 25 and 26. Come have a burger and a beer.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
Spent the weekend moving yard light from up between house and pond, back to pole barn.

LED light from Lowes works great. Also had a bad freeze proof hydrant that took twice as long trying to find 8' of 160 psi 1" plastic everyone wants to sell you 100' roll !!

At least wife has water now for garden and to power wash lawnmower!!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
Lowes has some great LED stuff. Have lots of their worklights.

You have an ultralight?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:59 PM »
Experimental kit build, Indy Aircraft T-Bird II 

My boys and I built it in 06

08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »
That's freakin' cool!!!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 03, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
I really like that, 2 saeter and no license!!

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 03, 2016, 04:51:09 PM »
Fast help fellas

I know I have my tow mirrors but do I need them and my tow haul button

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal