Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1383952 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2550 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Will do guys....I'll do it tomorrow...heading out to dinner in a few. Buy keep in mind this is my first time using them so I'm no expert! (Yep....like most things!  :shocked:) ha!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
JR, your storm was supposed to hit us by now but all we've got is high clouds keeping the heat in. My brother's and myself are doing our yearly quail hunt and been sweating our butts off. Good thing this RV has a/c.

Sent from a spaceship

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 11, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »
Poured the first footing for the casita/storage building.  2ftx2ftx7 inches with rebar in a grid and verticals for the sheptube, which is 8 inch.  Once that one sets up I'll work on the other 3 corners and then fill in the middles.  Plan is 16x24 story and a half with a 12/12 pitch metal roof and a porch on the front.  Hardi on the exterior.  Glue Lam beams for the floor structure.  2x2 footings every 8 ft. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 11, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
Good size shed there, mine is just 10x12.

I have engineered I beams in my garage with a 22ft span. With a screwed 3/4 TG floor it has never squeaked once.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 11, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm way overkill on footing spacing.  I may be able to get away with 12ft spacing but since I did not test the soil I'd like to stay with 8ft.  Even poor soil has 2000 psf and with 12 footings at 4sf, I have 96,000 pounds of load bearing capacity.  I plan to eventually convert to a living quarters with a bathroom, but for now it will be climate controllled storage and reloading room
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 12, 2017, 01:56:16 AM »
My footings for the second floor were 2x2 and 4 ft under the current foundation. Digging them was interesting.

The center beam is a press-lam, 6x18 x 24ft. Only hard part there was trimming for the roofing ply. That was a long cut with just a circular saw.

Just finished help the neighbor repair his water line. Had a pinhole from a flag-poll footing. Did a slip joint over the 3/4 pipe in a 3 ft hole. The propane torches quit running in the hole (no 02) so I drug my oxy-act torches over.

Didn't finish the garage.   

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 12, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »
JR, your storm was supposed to hit us by now but all we've got is high clouds keeping the heat in. My brother's and myself are doing our yearly quail hunt and been sweating our butts off. Good thing this RV has a/c.

Sent from a spaceship

Using dogs there Ken?  If so, post a photo - love seeing other people's bird dogs at work!

OOPS- not to be junking up the thread.......changed oil in the Dmax to start my 120,000 service updates as I'm heading to Southern Illinois on Friday to go play with my youngest bird Finder.  Happily enjoying watching the oil drain from pan and filter area as I replace drain plug and climbed out from under for the new filter.  Pre-oil it and wiggle back under to put the new filter on......what the heck?  Now why isn't the darn thing catching.....are you kidding me......it's too small?  Thankful the Mrs. and little Ms. haven't left for the all day shopping venture!  Evidently, someone put the wrong filter in the correct WIX box.......parts store swapped it out without batting an eye!  I love my local south of the boarder friends who run the Irish parts store!  He was talking up his new 2016 Duramax and asks about mine every time I'm in there.  Even gave me the filter he was gonna use on his yesterday!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:21:01 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
I carry a spare for all my filters cept the bypass. I hate doing the oil in my wifes captiva. Its a cartridge that loads from the top using a special socket and between a bunch of junk.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 12, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Need a little more rain for the Berryessa Glory hole overflow to begin, just 1 ft down now with rain on the way. Monticello Damn is only 304 ft high, but the lake is 440 ft deep.

This is also the water source for Solano county and why we were never in a real drought. The lake is in Napa county, but they don't have the water rights!

Here it was down 40 ft earlier this year and a couple others. Hasn't happened in 11 years and is worth the 25 mile trip to see.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 12, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
I was talking about a Glory Holes and dam releases to a buddy of mine the other day.....I would love to see someone send a GoPro or something through one (assuming it doesn't go through a turbine! ha). I bet it would be cool footage.

This wasn't the specific footage I saw but the one at the 0:50 mark is I think the one I saw....jut a different version. Water's got some power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq9RqOvtXwo

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: February 12, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
Glory hole is a clear shot. One person was sucked in a while back and died as there is quite a fall, turn and you shoot out the hole you see just to the left of the power station onto rocks.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
No dogs Mike. Way to much cacti !! (and I don't have enough patience).

So, we only got 18 quail in 2 full days....but that's about 18 more than last year. lol
We finally had a pretty wet year in '16, and the game is coming back quickly, like deer, javelina, and a ton of rabbits. Next season should be great, I hope.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:51 AM »
Pulling people out of oroville (?) now for the excess water.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 13, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »
We're leaving Tuesday morning to go to The national farm machinery show in Louiville Ky. Got the pickup cleand up and some new home made  feeders put In the duck and goose pen. Filled all the chicken feed. So all my brother has to do is open them in the morning and close them up at night. Pick the eggs and check the water.
I found a couple duck eggs yesterday so I was pretty excited about that. Except they were just randomly laid on the floor. They are not nesting yet. I got a lot of money and time wrapped up in these birds. I need a lot of babies to sell and to butcher.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: February 13, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
Farmer Jon

Tell my BIL Chris with McBurney Livestock Equipment hello, he'll have a booth setup right near the entrance as usual I suppose......
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:03:37 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: February 13, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
Will do

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
Glory hole is splashing over, but 8" under.

Oroville damn is spilling over the emergency overflow and the main is working on the damns base area. 200k ordered evacuated. No rain until thursday but will be interesting.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »
painted some doors at my new-to-me house today. it's taking  awhile with wedding planning and such, but it's getting there. turned out alright for free paint i believe

house door

building door

and inside building door

(disregard that horrible wall covering and cabinets.. PO left them. i'm slowly cleaning up. hahah)

this was the inside of the above door.. just to give you an idea of what i was working with

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
Good Job!

Love that red door!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: February 14, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
thanks! i thought it added to the house some. now just have to fix the brass inlay in the window. hahah.

PO dented the front door up pretty good. hence the kick plate to cover some bigger ones.

he was apparently a real piece of work. a total of 5 doors were kicked in at one point or another..

and possibly on an unrelated noted (jk.. totally related) he was just sentenced to 12 years for trafficking. (of the drug variety.. not ppl)

so.. yea.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:37 AM »
That red door will enhance the redneck directions to your house.  Worked for my grand parents.  They had the most gaudy orange door in that part of the country but no one ever missed the house.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 15, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
That red door will enhance the redneck directions to your house.  Worked for my grand parents.  They had the most gaudy orange door in that part of the country but no one ever missed the house.

honestly.. that was half the reason for doing it. hahah. between that and the 4x6 treated post with a huge mailbox atop it, it'll be hard to miss.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
.. wait.

did you just call my door gaudy? hahah

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: February 15, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Nope.  That was my grand parents door.  Red is great.  That color orange is indescribeable with any other word.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 15, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »

and possibly on an unrelated noted (jk.. totally related) he was just sentenced to 12 years for trafficking. (of the drug variety.. not ppl)

Given this I figure you'd be replacing jams the local PD.....ah....."removed"  :laugh:

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: February 15, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
one or two i could see. but the front door, door from garage into kitchen, back yard to garage, building door (replaced lock holes with a cut up framing square) and master bedroom door.. i think he just had 'issues' hahah

the general concsnsus from the neighbors (not many..) is that he got what was coming to him. hate it for his wife who has no idea anything was up. and was looking after their son and niece (apparently another story in and of itself)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
Survived day one of the farm show. Only spent $300. For some drill bits that never go dull and a dimond grinding/ cut off wheel that never goes bad. I will have pics and a review as soon as I get home. In the demo the guy drilled through a brake rotor and a concrete block then ceramic tile with the same bit. I guess we will see.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:56 AM »
I did see something interesting yesterday. There are trctors of every size at the show. All brands. What caught my eye was a bunch of Japanese men in suits gathered around a Mihindra tractor. Taking pictures and jabbering in Japanese. (I think they were japenese)  Not so unusual I guess until I seen thier name tags. There were Kabota reps!

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: February 16, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »
Somehow I showed to work...again. :shocked:

Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
I did see something interesting yesterday. There are trctors of every size at the show. All brands. What caught my eye was a bunch of Japanese men in suits gathered around a Mihindra tractor. Taking pictures and jabbering in Japanese. (I think they were japenese)  Not so unusual I guess until I seen thier name tags. There were Kabota reps!

When I was a kid Dad got worried that I was going to get hurt on one of the junky old tractors we had at the time (we had several, all equally as dangerous). We bought a Mahindra 485DI somewhere around 1996. That has been the second best tractor we have ever owned (close second to a Valtra 900).

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
I keep hearing the name Mahindra and wonder about quality, price and parts as compared to say a Kabota.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »
I keep hearing the name Mahindra and wonder about quality, price and parts as compared to say a Kabota.

I believe they are made in India, and there seems to be some kind of dealer in the larger cities. I actually found the dealer in Phoenix on Craigslist. I also believe that they make a jeer type truck that is sold in India. Saw them when I was there and thought they were pretty cool looking, but again no idea on quality, was just fascinated by a keep look alike in a foreign place.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
I have a mahindra. Actually it is the second one. I have never had any issue at all with them. I use it for bush hogging and around the farm use like moving hay rolls and loading manure spreader.   

Also they have a CRD, Clean Running Diesel, so no DEF.  If they can do that on a tractor, why not my next Duramax?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:37:06 PM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
Found a class III leak!

It was dripping consistently while running. Looking at where it comes from I believe it to be the head gasket on the passenger side. Because it starts above the filter which is also right there. But no oil near the valve cover.

This is on our 5.2l in our ramcharger. Sad day...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 16, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »
make sure it not the oil filter adapter, or the oil filter.  BEFORE you tear anything apart

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 16, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
Even the valley or a fitting. Heads rarely leak. All the pressure normally goes through the valve train or puddles in the cover.

Even a clogged PVC can push passive oil out through a small hole.   

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: February 16, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
Once I get it home I'm going to simple green the tar off it, and pressure wash it. Then see if I can actually see it. It's flowing enough that once clean I should be able to see it. I honesty had no intentions of tearing into immediately, figured I'd just clean it, attempt to fully diagnose it. Then probably fix it. Now that I think about it i don't think it is the gasket because the amount flowing one would think that one of the cooling channels back there would also be leaking. But this appears to be just oil. And the oil on the dipstick is just oil, and the coolant, while not yet tested looks and smells like cooling fluid, and is full....won't get to it until tomorrow because it'll be dark when it gets back to the house.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
The quality of ours has been great. Best I remember price was better than other comparable tractors. As far as parts I don't have a clue, other than a starter and a battery or two we haven't needed any. A sample size of one but ours has been excellent.

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
working on son's house, put up temp wall so we can take old one out! its been chopped up pretty bad.

The plan is to put a beam all the way across, and reframe for bedroom door and he thinks he wants a door going upstairs to block off for heating. He's single no kids, so no reason to heat the upstairs now. Will be tearing all this out and rebuilding this wwekend.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »
Looks like real 2x4s there vs the crap we have now.

History on the stair phrase?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 17, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

I believe they are made in India, and there seems to be some kind of dealer in the larger cities. I actually found the dealer in Phoenix on Craigslist. I also believe that they make a jeer type truck that is sold in India. Saw them when I was there and thought they were pretty cool looking, but again no idea on quality, was just fascinated by a keep look alike in a foreign place.

Went back to the mahindra booth. That jeep you seen is an actual jeep built by mahindra under licence from Jeep.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 17, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »

Went back to the mahindra booth. That jeep you seen is an actual jeep built by mahindra under licence from Jeep.

Well I don't think I saw that coming. But would make sense:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2592 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
I got a few hairs cut

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:12:01 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 18, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Finished framing and rocking under the stairs, then framed out the door.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 18, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
went to a homesteading fair. came home with even more ideas and crap i wanna buy/build.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:02 AM »
was driving me crazy having mismatched door handle finished on the house.. so i fixed it. hahah

also, pulled the tile up in the kitchen. linoleum unnderneath, which will get scrapped up too. then hardwoods continued from the living room into the kitchen and going down the hall.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 19, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
Don't tell Tex, but the wife and I are in San Antonio today for a stop on my daughter's nationwide tour ... Hopefully checking out the Alamo sometime today before heading back home.

Sent from a spaceship

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »
Last time I was in San Antonio was basic training back in 1990. Enjoyed the visit and the Alamo.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 19, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
Got home 2 am this morning. I slept in a little bit. Went and checked on my birds. See how good of a job my boy did taking care of them while we were gone. We have to talk about a couple things. But, He did smash a big possum which a post pounder one night so over all he did pretty good. My ducks and goose started nesting. Found 3  nests with a total of 7 eggs. I'm pretty happy about that.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:24:19 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 19, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
Killing varmits, always a good thing
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal