Hello Guest

Author Topic: M&P 40 rating  (Read 1074 times)

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
M&P 40 rating
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
Objective information, (Score 0-5)
Manufacturer: Smith & Wesson
Model Number, Name: M&P
Caliber: 40
Type weapon: pistol
Action: semi-auto
Material Weapon is made of: 5 (polymer frame, stainless slide & barrel)
Magazine capacity: 4 (15 rounds)
Barrel Length: 5 (4.25", balanced well)
Rifling info if applicable: 4
Type sights: 3 (3 dot)
Trigger pull: 2 (mushy, then stiff)
Trigger Reset: 3 (not great, but not horrible)
Type Safety: 4 (ambi thumb)
Safety Features: 4 (Chamber loaded indicator, no safety off indicator)
Weight: 4 (24.25 oz no mag according to S&W)
Ergonomics/furniture: 4
Integral Rail System? Yes
How many rounds did you shoot? 250 each (fired 2 new identical guns)
What ammunition did you test with? Mag-tech fmj, Remington fmj, Winchester fmj, mag-tech guardian gold, hornady critical defense
Weather conditions for test: sunny, calm, HOT!
Accessories that comes with the weapon as sold new: just 2 mags on versions I bought
Is there a palm swell or other part customizable like the latest gen Glocks or M&P's: yes (3 backstrap options)
Your hand size: 3.75" across knuckles, 7.75" tip of middle finger to start of wrist, 3" trigger finger
Stock information: (NS)

Subjective observations:(Score 0-10)
Handling, how does it fit and feel: 8 (probably would be higher if somebody would not have left his extra back straps at home)
Experience any malfunctions? 10 (no malfunctions)
Ease of loading/reloading:10 (mag drops free, easy to reload without taking eyes off target, slide drops when new mag is put in)
How did the various controls such as slide release or magazine release operate? 10 (controls easy to access and work)
Did the weapon get dirty during the test, and if so any effect? No
Comment about the sights: 3 (functional at best, rear dots bigger than front, hard to focus on front, I lost it a few times which slowed follow up shots)
Ease of field stripping and cleaning weapon: 10 (large takedown lever that just flips down 90 degrees)
What other weapon does it compare to such as M&P shield vs Glock 43? Glock 22 since everything gets compared to Glock anyway.
What type holster did you use? Cheap uncle mikes tactical (these will be mounted in my home so comfort not really an issue)
Anything you may have noticed such as "Big muzzle flash" or "very loud" or other observations? Nothing out of the ordinary.
Talk about the accuracy: 7 I shot about 4" 3 shot groups to try to check out accuracy. I could put 15 rounds all on a 8" target fairly rapidly
Do you feel the weapon is reliable? Yes
Does it have any shortcomings you can detect? Trigger and sights (I will be fixing both)
Your overall feelings about the weapon: 7
A one liner. You get to decide. Go or No-Go. You call it. the gun gets a score of 55 but jammed, then you can call it a No-Go.

Objective Score:__42__

Subjective Score:___65___

Go or No-Go:____Go_____

Comments:  Overall I like it. I would by another one. Because of my use for these I wanted something with a safety. The safety lever is an option of course, but it is easy to operate and not in the way while shooting in my opinion. I have already purchased an Apex trigger and trijicon HD sights for both pistols. I believe that will improve feel and acuracy for me. Most of my shots were a little low. I hope it had something to do with the weird trigger feel and long pull. I will test again after modifying them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:40:09 AM by rasimmo »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: M&P 40 rating
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
OK, copy...not complete yet!
For a minute you started to give me a heart attack!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
I'm sure this is sloppy and I missed something. I'm trying to finish it on my phone while cooking a 6 gallon pot of food. Multitasking ain't one of my strong points. Let me know if something needs fixin before it goes in the sticky.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »
I'm sure this is sloppy and I missed something. I'm trying to finish it on my phone while cooking a 6 gallon pot of food. Multitasking ain't one of my strong points. Let me know if something needs fixin before it goes in the sticky.
Well, since I haven't seen the finished product, I'd just say in the interim to get all the catagories and lines filled in along with your numerical rating, then make your call on final scores and Go-No/go call
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Now that I made it to work. I have more time and a keyboard to try to get this straight. I think I am done with it. That is unless I messed it up again, which is a strong possibility.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal