Hello Guest

Author Topic: A few notes on light discipline  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
A few notes on light discipline
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »
Add solid knowledge or experience as you see fit

Light discipline

-Bright stationary lights will conceal your movement behind them or at least obscure the enemies view of you.
-a bright burst of light will immediately remove the enemies acquired night vision by constricting their pupils.
-When moving about at night I use a small key chain light if anything for movement and a bright WML or torch for illuminating an adversary.
-during tactical night movement if you must illuminate your scene. Stop, cast your light at an azimuth contradictory to your intended path for a short burst and immediately move. You will use the ambient light created to guide you, but won't give away your intended route.
-never find yourself backlit or backlight a friendly. If you find yourself backlit, use your own torch or WML to replace the light your shadow has cast.
-don't shine your torch in your buddies eyes jacking around immediately before moving in to darkness.
-avoid the temptation to focus on distant lights, headlights, or others lights.
-avoid using light for convenience
-if time is not critical, allow four-six minutes for your eyes to adjust to darkness before movements.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: A few notes on light discipline
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »
Add solid knowledge or experience as you see fit

Light discipline

-Bright stationary lights will conceal your movement behind them or at least obscure the enemies view of you.
-a bright burst of light will immediately remove the enemies acquired night vision by constricting their pupils.
-When moving about at night I use a small key chain light if anything for movement and a bright WML or torch for illuminating an adversary.
-during tactical night movement if you must illuminate your scene. Stop, cast your light at an azimuth contradictory to your intended path for a short burst and immediately move. You will use the ambient light created to guide you, but won't give away your intended route.
-never find yourself backlit or backlight a friendly. If you find yourself backlit, use your own torch or WML to replace the light your shadow has cast.
-don't shine your torch in your buddies eyes jacking around immediately before moving in to darkness.
-avoid the temptation to focus on distant lights, headlights, or others lights.
-avoid using light for convenience
-if time is not critical, allow four-six minutes for your eyes to adjust to darkness before movements.

* Use the black and white cones on the side of your eyes at night to see better.
* Don't look directly at an object.
* Noise travels further at night than day.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »
Oh, Bobby, you're right in the Aviator's realm!

To night adapt takes humans 30-45 minutes. That is normally taken care of with the phases of the setting sun. Sunset then civil twilight, end of civil twilight, nautical twilight, end evening nautical twilight, then astronomical twilight. Each phase civil, then nautical, then astronomical twilight are 20 odd minutes in length.

Once fully dark adapted and exposed to more than a short duration high intensity light, you will require 5-45 minutes to re-dark adapt. Bobby's numbers are close and would work for the youthful person, and I'm sure using constraints derived by the Infantry center. The Aviation center uses my numbers derived by the Aero-medical board, a research arm of Army Aviation.

Daylight vision uses focused images on the Fovea Centralis, an area in the center of the back of the eye which has cone cells which distinguish colors. All around the Fovea centralis is the para fovea, an area that has great concentrations of Rod cells, These cells can detect light, but only in hues of gray, no color. This area is not in operation during lighted viewing so you can look directly at an object. However at night the cone cells do not receive enough stimulation (Light) so they stop working. When they do the eye excretes a chemical called Rhodopsin or more commonly known as visual purple.

VP stimulates cone cell activity and you start to see in the dark to some degree. Average human daylight vision is 20/20 which means an object at 20 feet has all the color, shape, texture, shading, and the like as an object which is at 20 feet, hence 20/20. Night vision unaided is 20/200. You can see how poor night vision really is! Also the para fovea is all around the centralis which is now a night blind spots (You have two!) so to see an object at night you need to use "Off center vision." Meaning that you look all around it, but never directly at it, where its image will fall upon blinded cells.

There are books written on the subject and in profession we had to study that in depth. On the annual check rides, one was always asked to explain something about night vision...Like PMS
Photopic  Day vision color, binocular vision (Think depth perception)
Scotopic  Twilight vision mixed but fading colors, binocular vision
Mesopic   Night vision, shades of gray, monocular clues, no depth perception!)

Prepare students, Bobby will be administering a test the end of next week!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
The moon is a lesser light but must still be taken into consideration. It can be used for movement but also casts shadows that you can use to mask movement along tree lines. Don't plan a route for total darkness only to execute when the moon is directly overhead and nearly full.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Oh, Bobby, you're right in the Aviator's realm!

To night adapt takes humans 30-45 minutes. That is normally taken care of with the phases of the setting sun. Sunset then civil twilight, end of civil twilight, nautical twilight, end evening nautical twilight, then astronomical twilight. Each phase civil, then nautical, then astronomical twilight are 20 odd minutes in length.

Once fully dark adapted and exposed to more than a short duration high intensity light, you will require 5-45 minutes to re-dark adapt. Bobby's numbers are close and would work for the youthful person, and I'm sure using constraints derived by the Infantry center. The Aviation center uses my numbers derived by the Aero-medical board, a research arm of Army Aviation.

Daylight vision uses focused images on the Fovea Centralis, an area in the center of the back of the eye which has cone cells which distinguish colors. All around the Fovea centralis is the para fovea, an area that has great concentrations of Rod cells, These cells can detect light, but only in hues of gray, no color. This area is not in operation during lighted viewing so you can look directly at an object. However at night the cone cells do not receive enough stimulation (Light) so they stop working. When they do the eye excretes a chemical called Rhodopsin or more commonly known as visual purple.

VP stimulates cone cell activity and you start to see in the dark to some degree. Average human daylight vision is 20/20 which means an object at 20 feet has all the color, shape, texture, shading, and the like as an object which is at 20 feet, hence 20/20. Night vision unaided is 20/200. You can see how poor night vision really is! Also the para fovea is all around the centralis which is now a night blind spots (You have two!) so to see an object at night you need to use "Off center vision." Meaning that you look all around it, but never directly at it, where its image will fall upon blinded cells.

There are books written on the subject and in profession we had to study that in depth. On the annual check rides, one was always asked to explain something about night vision...Like PMS
Photopic  Day vision color, binocular vision (Think depth perception)
Scotopic  Twilight vision mixed but fading colors, binocular vision
Mesopic   Night vision, shades of gray, monocular clues, no depth perception!)

Prepare students, Bobby will be administering a test the end of next week!

Blaine's numbers, but way to expand the line of thought.

The test will consist of .... what you thought I was actually going to give the outline for the final exam? HA
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
My bad, sorry HC!

Bobby, I saw your response to the HC message and focused on that

Good stuff though...Keep the education going!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:23:12 AM »
if you told a grunt, we are moving out in 45 minutes, after our eyes get accustomed to the darkness, you would have literally 50% of your platoon asleep while the other half stood guard for the first 22.5 minutes and then they would swap.... I was once a wee private and had an old crotchety E8 tell me, if you are just standing around you should be sitting, if you are just sitting around you should be laying down, if you are laying down you just as well be sleeping... not sure what he was getting at really, but we were in a relatively docile training box... so I decided to take a nap while my battle kept an eye out... only to awake four minutes later getting my face ripped off because my battle had clocked out too... I should have known better...  I tried to relay the story the master sgt had relayed but he couldn't hear me because he was still screaming too loud...

Molon Labe!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
That little saying means rest when you can because in combat, you don't know when you will get more.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
if you told a grunt, we are moving out in 45 minutes, after our eyes get accustomed to the darkness, you would have literally 50% of your platoon asleep while the other half stood guard for the first 22.5 minutes and then they would swap.... I was once a wee private and had an old crotchety E8 tell me, if you are just standing around you should be sitting, if you are just sitting around you should be laying down, if you are laying down you just as well be sleeping... not sure what he was getting at really, but we were in a relatively docile training box... so I decided to take a nap while my battle kept an eye out... only to awake four minutes later getting my face ripped off because my battle had clocked out too... I should have known better...  I tried to relay the story the master sgt had relayed but he couldn't hear me because he was still screaming too loud...

Or more realistically, you'd have the experienced guys sleeping, some individuals would be smoking, the LTs would be messing around with some thing or another IOT appear important, some people would be standing around with their hands in their "air force gloves", and the NEW guys wouldn't know what to do..

That little saying means rest when you can because in combat, you don't know when you will get more.

Those 20 minute cat naps work wonders don't they..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:19:29 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
And roger
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »

Right- more importantly however- you should always take an available opportunity to squat on an e tool because it's hard to fight with diaper rash...

I understand the saying now- but then, it was just one of those things someone told you once...

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

Or more realistically, you'd have the experienced guys sleeping, some individuals would be smoking, the LTs would be messing around with some thing or another IOT appear important, some people would be standing around with their hands in their "air force gloves", and the NEW guys wouldn't know what to do..

Those 20 minute cat naps work wonders don't they..
The LT's are developing a new PT belt reflectivity test as a mitigation for their risk assessment matrix, which they will undoubtedly be given a bronze star for!

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
The LT's are developing a new PT belt reflectivity test as a mitigation for their risk assessment matrix, which they will undoubtedly be given a bronze star for!

Awards only come after successfully integrating the plan and making a PowerPoint presentation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal