VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Fleetwood E3 Filon Roof Failure

<< < (15/15)

KensAuto:
Now for the chincy parts. ..the corner pieces. They can't be purchased, and they're plastic. The sealant tape does all the work and these are for looks.
I almost made some out of aluminum but honestly I'm just over it with this pos.

KensAuto:
I decided that this roof will never be worked on again, by myself anyways, so I bought a few tubes of windshield urethane and started laying it on to strengthen them. Also added a couple extra screws to help out.

KensAuto:
Then the final pieces of the project, the aluminum rails. Absolutely horrible engineering to be honest.

They are about 12 feet long, and the only things keeping them in place is that they are glued down with something similar to windshield adhesive, and they kinda "snap" on to the corner pieces.
What's worse is that they're designed to accept roof racks, rated for a couple hundred pounds.

I had one come loose a few years ago and had to redo it, and there's stories on the web of guys losing their cargo, along with the rails, on the highway. Scary if you ask me.

I used 4 tubes of windshield urethane on those rails and some screws on the ends to be safe.

Ta da!

JR:
That was a nice detail using those covers.

EL TATE:
found a good use for those batteries too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version