VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Toter-home build.

(1/32) > >>

Farmer Jon:
I didn't know If I should put this in the build thread or with the campers. Being its going to be pulling a camper i put it here.

This is an 03 Freightliner with 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. A little longer than what I wanted but the hard work is all done. Everything on the rear end is new. From the locker to the bakes, brake cans, shocks, track bar the works. New drive line, carrier bearing U joints etc. I tried to nit pick it but I couldn't find anything wrong. 1.3 million on it. Never been overhauled but they pulled the pan and did the rods and mains. Everything around the engine is new or newer. Alternator and turbo are newer. Needs a right side windshield. That about the only thing I could find wrong. 2 100 gallon fuel tanks. The former owner said he got 7 mpg with it pulling a semi trailer. I should get a little more than that. I should be able to go a 1000 miles easy with fuel to spare.

First things first I have to get it registered as a Motor home. Ive talked to other guys in Nebraska. One guy had to go full out and put in fridge, microwave, sink and some other stuff before they would change the title. The other guy said he just went to the DMV and told them he needed the title changed. They did it no questions asked. I am going to try that approach. If I have to I'm just going to mount a pickup box camper on the back temporally to get past the plating. Once its plated its a done deal. As long as I never ever use it for commercial. It will be recreational use only or they can pull my plate.

I have an 8 foot flat bed to install. Off of a Chevy dually pickup. That will come to just in front of the fenders. I think. Have more measuring to do. Right now everything is stuck in a snow bank. If its not in the snow its frozen to the ground.

Right now I am in full debate with myself over what hitch to install. Its like a multiple choice quiz. A. B. or C. I know C is wrong and A and B are both right. But which one is MORE right.

The trailer saver hitch rides on air. Low profile.
http://www.trailersaver.com/product/tslb2h-air-ride-hitch/

32,000 lb. Gross Trailer Weight
    5,000 lb. Pin Weight with optional 3rd air-bag for a 7,500 lb. pin weight
    Fits Standard Bolt Hole patterns in medium duty trucks
    Available rail adapter kit
    Heavy Duty 4-way pivoting hitch head with safety lock
    Available Goose-Neck Adapter
    Shipped Direct (or to shipping facility near you) Fully Assembled
    3 Year Limited Warranty
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Then we have the  comfort ride. No air needed. It rides on these plastic cells.

http://www.comfortridehitch.com/hi_model_308_hd.html

Tunable for any Weight Trailer up to 30K with Height Adjustments from 12" to 19"

Only Weighs 290 lbs

30,000 lbs Towing Capacity

8,000 lbs Pin Capacity

Operating Height: 11.5"-19" Adjustable

They are very similar in price and weight rating. They both bolt flat so they are easy to install. I'm not crazy about the air ride because air bags eventually blow. But they have a goose neck ball adapter.

Comfort does not have a ball adapter. How often am I going to pull the goose neck? I don't know. But I want the adapter. So before too long I'm just going to flip a coin and order a hitch.

Some day I would like to move the rear end ahead and install a western hauler type bed to haul a jeep on. I have to raise my kids first and I have to pay for all this....Baby steps.

KensAuto:
Dang those are pricey. Why couldn't you use a conventional p/u hitch?
Not trying to sound negative, just wondering if you plan on hauling 30k some day.

Bigdave_185:
 I just want to see a snowy drift around a corner in this!! That back end looks so far out there! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on January 30, 2018, 09:54:49 AM ---Dang those are pricey. Why couldn't you use a conventional p/u hitch?
Not trying to sound negative, just wondering if you plan on hauling 30k some day.

--- End quote ---
The bigger hitches bolt down flat and are lower profile.  The medium size ones hook to rails. They are only a few hundred bucks cheaper. I dont know if I will ever tow 30,000 pounds but the guys I talked to have trailers that weigh around 20k. They said why max out the smaller hitch when you can get the bigger one and not worry about it. My philosophy is there is no overkill when towing. My camper only weighs 10,000 pounds. I want plenty of room to upgrade.

I fully intended on putting a gooseneck hitch in and using the same B&W companion I use in my pickup. But. According to most of the people I talked to the suspension is so stiff on the trucks that it will tear the trailer up.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
That makes sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version