Hello Guest

Author Topic: Raptor Ridge, the build.  (Read 11667 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Raptor Ridge, the build.
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2022, 01:14:04 PM »
Yep you got it Dave. Already have a 1/4 quick attach plate. Metal is 4x4-3/16 and 3.5x3.5-3/16 both are 10ft. Should give me around 17ft with 3ft for the telescopic part. Max lift I need is well under 500lb.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2022, 01:18:39 PM »
Cleaned up Dugs tire after and was about to seal, but it was about 1/3 full of crud. Not having all my tools here I simply took it to the local Less Schwab. They charged $10 to clean and remount, wasn't worth the hassle for me! Dropped it off but ran out of time for mounting it up. Dug started like a champ though. Both it and the kub need a full service.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2022, 01:22:58 PM »
Also fixed bad low spots in the cont roof. They held water I wanted to address that. Strapped a 4x4 to the forks on the Kub. Had to do kinda work them out (used a jack before with no luck) but they finally came out OK. (orange marks?)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »
I’m with Dave, when do we see foundation holes?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2022, 11:36:03 PM »
Yep you got it Dave. Already have a 1/4 quick attach plate. Metal is 4x4-3/16 and 3.5x3.5-3/16 both are 10ft. Should give me around 17ft with 3ft for the telescopic part. Max lift I need is well under 500lb.

Is it going to extend via a ram or just manually move it out?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2022, 12:18:24 AM »
Was thinking ram but manual will work fine. Will wrap the first 2-3 inches and probably just have 3 locations, out, in and center. I may add a winch for versatility, have several 2500# laying around.

As to the wind question, I am good. There are the occasional times where its gusty, but on the whole it is good. Facing south with hills around w/e/n. Even a south wind needs to go ever that hill in front you see in the above picture.

No guesses on the foam? Think cold.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:20:30 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2022, 02:57:23 PM »
Ok no guesses so I will fess up. I built a place to sleep and stay warmer using 1.5 foam. Impacts space very little and I drop a drop a tarp down both ends keeping what heat I have in some. Was using a larger propane heater that helped, but having 100s of steel sucking it off, well sucked! I now have a little buddy heater that has tipover and low O2 protection. Also using a fold out platform for the bed using an air mattress. I just looked and it was 14f up there. Water in the pot I use was frozen but most other liquids I keep in a cooler and has been no issue for a couple winters now.

TH is in bad shape, have it covered now but needs major work. Right now drying it out after another leak let the rear roof collapse some. I can still use it after I support the damage some. I will attempt a repair when I can get it inside the new building, but getting it up there now that the road is iced over is out. Everything is great in it otherwise, so worth the effort in the long run. (like I need another project)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2022, 07:46:22 PM »
I hadn’t given the foam a thought. Sorry

Charles did a full insulation on his sea can with great results I believe.  Not sure if that’s worth your efforts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2022, 08:19:48 PM »
I had this foam and it will get used to skirt the TH when here. 1.5in of closed cell foam should work. Idea is to just keep the heat I make.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2022, 07:37:25 AM »
Yeah, probably 2k or so to finish out my can.  Bu t you could warm it with a candle it’s so well insulated. You lose about 4 inches in inside width overall including the osb and about 2 inches in height. But then you have. Studs and OSB interior to mount things to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2022, 03:31:04 PM »
That was 3-4 years ago. Prices have gone nuts since then. Just the 6 or so sheets I used are over $200 new.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2022, 07:51:23 AM »
The spray foam was $1.40/sq ft so about $1344 to spray the can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »
Thats not bad but I doubt the same now. I will report on the "box" in a week.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2022, 02:22:29 PM »
Thats not bad but I doubt the same now. I will report on the "box" in a week.
You're gonna make that thing so cozy, you won't want to move!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2023, 07:17:00 PM »
Have not been up for 3 weeks now. Going to hold off again this weekend as its ski weekend (MLK) and it is still snowing!

I have about 2 trips needed to just get all the stuff up there I have for the build, not including the Cat.

Planning it out as doing the solar first (all there just need some fair weather). Then the well pump and septic as mud allows when digging the foundation.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2023, 04:11:57 AM »
Finally made it up, was just gorgous out, but very cold at night. Low 50s while the sun was up, road was good too. Supposed to be close to 0 today, but everything looks sound with little freezing in the cont.

Got the wheel back onto the skid, it fought like heck. Was just how I had it up there trying to line it all up. Started right up, no issues.

Was more of a run up, drop stuff off and such. Just feels good to be there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2023, 05:09:43 AM »
When you gonna start digging footings?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2023, 07:20:50 PM »
When I get the EXC up there mostly. Backhoe can get me started.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2023, 09:01:20 AM »
When I get the EXC up there mostly. Backhoe can get me started.

What kind of foundation are you doing? Piers, footer and wall? Are you pouring it or having it poured?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2023, 05:31:41 PM »
Slab with peir footings for the posts. Way overkill but it is what it is.

I plan on doing the footings and perimeter forms, then have a crew do the slab. Not specked that way but will fudge it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2023, 01:23:02 AM »
It was beautiful up there Saturday. Got really nothing done but dropped off a couple tcases I picked up sorts on the way.

Little town called Milford (closed up really), guy about a mile behind the station.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2023, 04:08:47 AM »
Day trip with my youngest today. Unloaded the trailer that was filling up, but kept the NTM bucket to mod. Both the 22ft and the utility were filled so it was needed.

Chain controls up and back, what a pain! Avoided chaining up saying my trailer had "no brakes".

Little update, it was a great trip overall. Trailer unloaded with little real work, just lucky? Almost everything stayed on pallets.

Spent about an hour washing the 22ft before dropping off. Its amazing how the road crud gets on/in everything, at least no salt is used out here.

Then the local carwash would wash my truck until I hosed it off. What a crock, it wasn't that bad and their washes don't do a great job on the Dmax anyway.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 06:57:12 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2023, 04:08:50 PM »
Went up again this weekend. Seems it is a day of unloading and cleanup again. I was not up to 100%, think I need a day for the altitude now.

Snow pack was around 10ft along hwy 80. Road was great otherwise.

Used the Igloo this time, little buddy heater kept it at almost 60 in there. Ran 2x4 along the top, then silver HD tarps. Just roll em up when done.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2023, 02:39:56 PM »
Another run up this weekend. Sold the Box Blade, pain to use and with 3 tractors with blades, not needed.

Took down the 10x12 shade building and brought it home. Will replaced the cheap HF unit on side of house. Tired of replacing the fabrics! It was in the way too putting the building parts where I need them. Retarped a few things too.

Glue didn't hold well on the igloo, so I foamed them in/on.

Not the greatest pic, but I thought this was cool.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »
Been a couple weeks now, need to get up there and get going again.

Had a few visitors and now its warmed up too. Little guy with the ears is about a daily pic, the other is the first time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2023, 03:56:37 PM »
Your neighbors sure have some odd looking goats lol

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2023, 04:54:18 PM »
Nieghbors informed me the kitty has been hanging out in the canyon. No biggie for me, but kid nect door have ducks and dogs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »
What in the heck? Took about 2 hours to build, not perfect, but it should work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2023, 12:10:37 AM »
What in the heck? Took about 2 hours to build, not perfect, but it should work.
WTH is that for?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2023, 01:30:37 AM »
I have a well over 400' deep that I need to run a pump, hose, safety rope and its wires down into. I will either mount this on a pallet, maybe an A frame of some type to roll the well setup down with. Needs to be taped about every 10 ft or so and needs a spacer near the pump to keep it off the wall.

Didn't have to be perfect (its not). Just OSB discs with scrap wood spacers in about 4in and about 4in wide, just under 48in dia.

Then I can build the well setup and let the tractor lower it down. I can do around 100' each time. Never done this before, but I did stay at a holiday inn sometime back (and watched many videos) cross your fingers!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2023, 04:36:33 AM »
Just got back. Pretty good trip but not as much done as I wanted.

Finished wiring the 12v solar system. It is temp as my main will be a 48v system. Running a micro, 20v battery charger, mini fridge and lights don't tax the 200 amp Lifo's at all.

Neighbors almost finish a 20x40 poll barn, no sides, waiting on the roofing. They bugged my about getting to work on my foundation!!

Cleaned out the well head and got the pitless in. HF hole saw kit did a great job on the 1 3/4 hole. Seald it up as I found I was 2 fittings short. Using all SS cept the pitless.

Also got the Skid together. Still needs an oil change so I left the skid plates off. Trying to figure how this guy got up there? Round 6"steel legs on the table, nothing hanging off.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2023, 09:50:28 AM »
I have a well over 400' deep that I need to run a pump, hose, safety rope and its wires down into. I will either mount this on a pallet, maybe an A frame of some type to roll the well setup down with. Needs to be taped about every 10 ft or so and needs a spacer near the pump to keep it off the wall.

Didn't have to be perfect (its not). Just OSB discs with scrap wood spacers in about 4in and about 4in wide, just under 48in dia.

Then I can build the well setup and let the tractor lower it down. I can do around 100' each time. Never done this before, but I did stay at a holiday inn sometime back (and watched many videos) cross your fingers!
400 feet is a deep well! Well drillers charge by the foot, I believe, so that was an expense!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2023, 10:48:21 AM »
JR, at what depth is your well pump sitting at?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2023, 01:20:42 PM »
It was 480 drilled, billed as 450, $22,500. Many wells in the area are 600 and I got 20+ gallon a minute which is good. Sure the head is up now with all the melting.

Will be about 425, water level is supposed to be 290. Then to a tank 75ft up the hill on a 1in line. Running a 2in pipe down for the pressure.

110v pump rated for 450ft @ 10psi. Not an on demand system, will fill the storage when needed. Until the storage tank is plumbed I will just run a hydrant at the head and fill a tote with filtered water. Have to dig a 2 ft deep trench (frost depth) to the storage tank. Pump will get little use and not being on demand should keep it going for many years (hopefully)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2023, 05:47:36 PM »
Another day and a 1/2 up there. Right at 200mi each way, sure goes fast after 4 years.

More cleaning inside, put up a HD shelf and started to organize the table I have filled with everything.

Neighbor came up and helped to put in the well pump. Wow, what a nasty 5 hours, yes 5 hours with 2 of us. It was more fighting with the cables and hose than the dropping it in.

The pully worked great and its axle fit right into a mount on the backhoe.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
Got pretty heavy right at the end, down 425ft plus the 2ft frost and the pump body, so closer to 430ft.

Right at the end we called the other neighbor kid who had the little extra muscle we needed and got it set in the pitless. Ran out of time to try it but I did test it before we dropped it down.

Have to wire it now and set the safety rope is all. Still need a box for the controller and found I was short 2 fittings to do the plumbing from the pitless.

1 inch line to the pump, T with a line pointing up the hill to the tank, 1 towards the building and a hydrant there at the well. Everything is stainless cept the pitless (brass)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2023, 06:45:19 PM »
Progress  :likebutton:

Dumb question but how much would the well driller have charged to drop the pump in place? I’ve never had them NOT do that part.

A well that deep up here would be 5x that cost drilled.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2023, 07:04:44 PM »
10-12 K and they use 220v pumps for on demand systems. Thats the norm anyway.

Plan for next trip is the pluming at the head. Run it to clear the system and will let it clear my culvert that is over 1/2 full of crud until I get more rock around the inlet. I will run an inline filter to fill my tote after it clears some.

Oil changes on the equip and stake out the foundation finally.

Really? Mine charged $50 a ft, thought that was pretty standard.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »
Double checked, 400’ well was $80k so 4x roughly not 5x I guess and it was only putting out 2 gal/min…….  :popcorn:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2023, 07:36:01 PM »
So my niegbor who helped me drop the well pump wanted use the skid. Thought sure why not. He had trouble getting it started as he forgot the master battery switch. (that key is attached to the ign key?) Its been a solid machine for about 4 years now, but it needs an oil change.

Get a text today when he was using it a front ram blew a seal and it was overheating. Engine is cooled by the hyd fluid, so one could cause the other) Funny as he told me he has a habit of breaking things he borrows.

Foot controls can be touchy on this and he put the 72 loader bucket on it vs the 60 skid bucket. I also noticed he would hold the controls or lock the brake when he used it with me (which locks everything up) and didn't raise the RPM as normal.

Hoping it is that simple as a ram seal and fluid.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2023, 07:59:30 PM »
I feel your pain JR, I won't loan any of my tools/equipment to anybody anymore ... except for a select few people.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2023, 08:38:01 PM »
Pretty sure it is just a ram seal on the skid. Came off easy and brought home for repair. Having plugs and a JIS service kit was a must.

Drained and bagged it, now home for the reseal.

Seems to run fine. I think the overheating is the radiator is still full of crud from the flood. Need water to clear that that leads to the next post.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2023, 08:46:31 PM »
Got the well all plumbed. Left a 1in pipe going towards the building and one pointing towards the hill with the tank.

Hydrant set up, then got wired. Brought a 2000 watt generator. This WREN pures like a kitten and started on the 2nd pull with years old gas.

The pump pulled more than it could give though, went into overload 3 times. Pump seemed to be doing its thing, but never got water to the surface. Controller never pop the circut breaker so I guess its working fine. With all that just dumped in drain rock for the hydrant, covered with fabric and filled the hole in.

Nieghbor has my 4500 watt gen and the 48v/5000watt solar inverter is not ready yet, so next trip hopefully I will see some water up top!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2023, 08:55:06 PM »
Very nice, and one huge leap forward!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2023, 09:33:24 PM »
Water now?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2023, 10:16:41 PM »
Need a little more power than I have on hand Dave (well ready anyway).

Time to mark out the foundation and get some rock up here for the septic.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2023, 09:48:00 PM »
Got a few things in but not heading up this weekend, oldest boy graduates Saturday.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »
Congrats. One step closer to the empty nest

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »
Congratulation on the graduation.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2023, 08:06:56 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal