Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2  (Read 192933 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/Bug-out site construction thread, Part 2
« Reply #1050 on: September 02, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Scout seems happy there!
The concrete was cool...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 02, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
I got all that stacked on those racks I mounted to the shed last week. All in all, it wasn't difficult pulling the boards off, and most of them were in pretty good shape. The really old ones were thinner and broke easily, but the more robust ones were solid and not cracked. Most were a full 1" thick and most of them are some species of hardwood or another, mostly oak

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
Through it all, old chrome dome hung tough and stayed in the game!

Good job chrome dome!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 02, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
That is sure a nice looking place. Must be a pleasure even to work there, much less it is yours!

That wood looks good. At least the little stuff will burn good.

I want to see what you get for chief. You need a good pond not a watering hole.

How come no insulation behind the board? I like the use of 14g romex, but see you snuck some 14 in there.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 03, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »
That is sure a nice looking place. Must be a pleasure even to work there, much less it is yours!

That wood looks good. At least the little stuff will burn good.

I want to see what you get for chief. You need a good pond not a watering hole.

How come no insulation behind the board? I like the use of 14g romex, but see you snuck some 14 in there.

JR, no real reason you can't live there too, ya know. I'd say, sell off maybe 10 sq/ft of Kali and you could probably afford it all.

On another note, When I add the adjacent property to mine, I think I'll sell off some 5-20 acre lots to like minded individuals...

Working there was like a fall ride on my motorcycle. No sound, except for the wind brushing through the trees or my noisy equipment. Temps were 60's most of the day and breezy. It was an outstanding few days down there...So peaceful...I hardly want to leave it!

Yep, I am putting the light circuits on a 20 amp breaker, one down and one up.

Since I am using all LED lighting and if there is an EMP, then I will go to every third fixture having an incandescent bulb. For that reason, there was no reason to go up to the 12 ga. stuff.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 03, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »
If I sold this property I could get something like that easy.

Just one reason why, family.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »
Don, I'd rethink the 30amp circuit with 12ga wire.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 06, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
14 ga is only good to 15 amps. Build it right. You may be a risk taking pilot, but someone may hook a big heater or something up one day and start a wiring fire. I don't want to see all you worked hard for burn to the ground, much less someone you love die in a house fire.

"15-amp vs. 20-amp. Most circuits and devices in a home are rated as 15-amp or 20-amp. What this means varies a bit from one item to another. In a way, it all starts with the size of the wire. 14-gauge wire is the smallest allowed for the permanent wiring of a circuit. It is rated as able to carry up to 15 amps of current. 12-gauge wire is the next size larger and is allowed to carry up to 20 amps."

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/basic_house_wiring.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
Good point TRN, way to keep the pilot from hurting himself or others. With that said I run 12ga & 20 amp breakers for just about all shop wiring (outlets & lights). In my garage where I needed extra lighting I just tapped the outlets. I'm not an electrician & this keeps things simple imo.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
Even simpler put... "A 30-amp breaker does not operate safely with a 12-gauge wire. The minimum wire size that is allowable for use with a 30-amp breaker is 10 gauge."

https://www.reference.com/science/can-use-12-gauge-wire-30-amp-breaker-f6aa0a7c53d4be5#

Shawn (I think -- terrible with names) - what you're doing for the lights is perfectly acceptable since the load would never exceed what that 12ga circuit and wire is designed to handle.
Ryan

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
These guys basically have it covered. 
14 ga= 15 amp max   
12 ga= 20 amp max

Since you said you only ran 1 light circuit, its not necessary to run a special circuit just for lights.  Tap it into whatever outlet is close/ makes since.  You don't need to waste wire running from one end to the other just for a light circuit.  Also depending on the size of the box and how much you plan to wire you will be surprised how fast it will fill up.

In the house I ran 15 amp/ 14 gauge for all the lights and most of the outlets.  Each bathroom has some 20 amp/ 12 gauge runs and several in the kitchen.  For a shop I would do all 20 amp/ 12 gauge outlets.  If you tie the lights into the outlets I would do those in 12 also.  There isn't that much of a difference in the cost of the wire and would probably be cheaper than making a bunch of extra runs back to the box for 15 amp.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 06, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
These guys basically have it covered. 
14 ga= 15 amp max   
12 ga= 20 amp max

I concur ...

Also remember that they specific type of light bulb you plan to use is irrelevant (LED, CFL, incandescent, etc.).  You have to assume that somewhere along the line, someone may put 100 watt incandescent light bulbs in each and every socket.  So size the wire and breaker accordingly.  In my new garage addition, I have 8 bulb sockets each with a 9W LED bulb.  A whole whopping 72 watts!!!  But I still used 12ga wire assuming I could later change bulbs to 100 watt ones for a total of 800 watts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »
Even simpler put... "A 30-amp breaker does not operate safely with a 12-gauge wire. The minimum wire size that is allowable for use with a 30-amp breaker is 10 gauge."

https://www.reference.com/science/can-use-12-gauge-wire-30-amp-breaker-f6aa0a7c53d4be5#

Shawn (I think -- terrible with names) - what you're doing for the lights is perfectly acceptable since the load would never exceed what that 12ga circuit and wire is designed to handle.
Heck,
I screwed up!
I'm off one wire size
Well, I'll just put a 20 Amp breaker on the 12 gage circuit

No one is paying attention or something

So

One more time...

The 14 gage is O N L Y for the LED light circuit...That is to say...No outlets, only light bulbs

So once again, the pilot is saying, only light bubs on the 14 gage wire circuit, and only LED's at that!

Man...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 06, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
Also worth noting for shops etc, if you run 20 amp circuits for outlets & then run all 12 ga even running lights off the outlet circuits you can easily in the future swap in those milk house light fixtures that have outlets in them. No worry about overloading them either & extra outlets in the center of the room if ever needed.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »
If I hadn't already pulled all that wire, I might throw in some 12-2 in place of the 14 gage, but, not now that it is completed!

It's only a shed, I'll do OK with the setup I have, but I won't repeat in the house or barn I'll build next!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: September 06, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
Don, I was talking about this post:

I put them all over creation!

All of those circuits will be on a 30 amp breaker with 12 gage wire

The lights are going in on a couple of 20 amp circuits, and that will be overkill, as I plan to use LEDs to keep the current budget low
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 06, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »
Copy that!

Subsequent to that I found this spool of 14 ga wire and the rest is history!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 06, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »
Just size all 14 ga runs with a 15 amp circuit and you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:09 PM »
Well, a little late but I did remember reading that, but moot now.

It also depends on how long the run is for the wire for any gauge.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03:18 AM »
I would reccomend not tapping into any outlet circuit for any of the lights.  Run separate, dedicated circuits for lighting and separate circuits for outlets.  Otherwise, tripping a breaker while running one of the saws might leave you literally in the dark with hands close to a spinning blade spooling down; If it doesn't happen to you, it might happen to one of your boys, your BIL or grandchildren.  Don't underestimate the damage a table saw or a radial-arm saw can do...

If you keep all lighting 14 gauge wire (white romex) with 15A circuit breakers and outlets 12 gauge wire (yellow romex) with 20A circuit breakers, in a few years when you want to add a light or an outlet, you will be able to quickly identify what type of circuit you are looking at by the romex sheathing color.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:12:23 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 11, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I would reccomend not tapping into any outlet circuit for any of the lights.  Run separate, dedicated circuits for lighting and separate circuits for outlets.  Otherwise, tripping a breaker while running one of the saws might leave you literally in the dark with hands close to a spinning blade spooling down; If it doesn't happen to you, it might happen to one of your boys, your BIL or grandchildren.  Don't underestimate the damage a table saw or a radial-arm saw can do...

If you keep all lighting 14 gauge wire (white romex) with 15A circuit breakers and outlets 12 gauge wire (yellow romex) with 20A circuit breakers, in a few years when you want to add a light or an outlet, you will be able to quickly identify what type of circuit you are looking at by the romex sheathing color.

You gotta love Duane-

Silent for a WAY long time and then BAM!   - Cuts through the subterfuge with LOGIC that nobody should argue...........Glad to hear from you Duane!  Hope God is blessing everyone in "Catfish Pilot Land" as Don affectionately refers to you!   :)

2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 11, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »
^^^ Thanks.  The 11 yr old is keeping me pretty busy with X-C and AA travel hockey...

Sorry that I missed your visit to the farm, I may have been out west at that time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:40:00 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 11, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
Duane has a point & valid as usual. "Most"of my lights run on separate circuits. With that said I'm lazy and to run four of those nice el cheapo led Costco 4'ers I tapped an outlet......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 11, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »
Well, that's what I am going to do
Lights separate circuit, one down one up
Maybe 5-6 outlets on one 12 ga, 20 amp circuit
Separate 20 amp outlet for the air compressor.
Just purchased some 10 gage wire to run a single outlet for the camper

Will wire in a 50 amp outlet for the welder, and one for the dryer (Or whatever amperage circuit it requires)

I also plan to run the outdoor facing outlets on their own GFCI circuit,

Make the bathroom outlets GFCI

The "Kitchen" outlets GFCI, and wire in a stub bow north and south for future growth. I see one running a water pump that pressurizes the H20, and another that supplies current to the "Pusher" pump which will go in down at the well.

Starting on all that in the morrow.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 11, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
Don't forget the camera needs rice, lots of rice!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »
Unless you plan on running the dryer and welder at the same time, you can run them both on the same circuit to save space.  I'd suggest you run a 4 wire 50 amp circuit to a pole outside for the RV....just in case I bring the redneck hotel.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 11, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »
I know some places state how many outlets you can have. I have heard 12 per circuit.

You are not supposed to go over 80% of the rated breaker (like you would max them all out at the same time, but this is Don)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 11, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
I know some places state how many outlets you can have. I have heard 12 per circuit.

You are not supposed to go over 80% of the rated breaker (like you would max them all out at the same time, but this is Don)

This is Don, and this is the Tucky

No inspections

No oversight

The weak and stupid just burn themselves up and the rest of us are OK with that...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 11, 2016, 08:02:02 PM »
So good news

The woman put the camera under the back seat yestertag

No rice needed

It works!

Here's that nasty storm that dropped a black locust onto my road, which I just drove over on my rapid exit out of the danger zone!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
I got the stove down there and hefted into the shed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: September 11, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
I put in a layer of type "N" cement a few daze ago.

And I found this nifty log holder thing-ah-ma-bob

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 11, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
I purchased an assortment of 8" pipe that I'll use to connect the thing up and ultimately provide some heat

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 11, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
Fields continue to get improved, as tree by tree, I push back 35 years of neglect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 11, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »

I always ran 8-10 outlets to make sure I had room for lighting too! ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 11, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »

I always ran 8-10 outlets to make sure I had room for lighting too! ;D
I'll have to cut back with the 50 amp(er) Texas Red Neck needs!

I'm trained to work and fight in the dark, so I should be good to go! ;-))

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 11, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
Well, from all these years of reading your threads most of us would agree we think you work in the dark at times...... ;D ;) ::)

Ken, quick get in here I'm about to get banned again!!!!! Rofl
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:41:34 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 11, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Well, from all these years of reading your threads most of us would agree we think you work in the dark at times...... ;D ;) ::)

Ken, quick get in here I'm about to get banned again!!!!! Rofl

I'll help;

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:25:54 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 11, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »
Good one

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
 HSLDDOT. High speed low drag derailer of threads, that Shawn is..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 11, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »
HSLDDOT. High speed low drag derailer of threads, that Shawn is..
No,

Fired!

Is what he is!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 11, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
Just for the record I called being fired before either of you two...... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal