Hello Guest

Author Topic: caught sneaking back in  (Read 10599 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: caught sneaking back in
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »
Not bad ideas all around. and trust me, "utter humiliation" then and now are very different. mine was in the form of a 1987 dodge colt vista wagon, that I got t boned in from sliding through a red light in the rain. like father like son I guess. I rolled that hoopty for 3 years until my grandpa got me my early graduation present in the form of a 1989 Chevrolet Beretta.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »
I got a 71 pinto, that had as many colors as the horse for which it was named, with a blown engine. Luckily my uncle had a worn out engine that he helped me install, as a HS graduation gift. It was because of that car that 2 things happened (or 1 that did and one that didn't)....#1- ken stayed "pure" well into his late teens, for lack of female Pinto admirers, and #2- The town lost it's entire population of mosquitos practically overnight.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
LOL,  My first car was a 62 chevy bel air 4 door with a mis matched front fender, no headliner (the original dry rotted out), rusted out floorboards, and steel wheels without hubcaps.  And no AC.  Driver's side window mechanism was broken and the window would not stay up. 

Replaced the 283 and 2 spd powerglide with a 350 4bolt main and TH350.  Saved money and added a replica z28 dual plane intake and holley 650 vacuum secondary, Comp Cam 268 duration cam, 461 casting heads, HEI distributor and a shift kit in the tranny with headers and dual Thrush mufflers.

The only draw back was the open rear diff in 3:36

For its day that car was a bit of a sleeper.  Ate more than it's fair share of trans-ams

Ugly as sin, but it was mine.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
I would have taken either of those over the vista wagon. it was a subcompact minivan that seated 7 uncomfortably. with all the fine trappings of a mid 80's K car plus a super cool hatch back it was the envy of... no one. After the T-bone, my parents who were broke made me drive it as is. That lasted a couple years with a hugely caved in c pillar and passenger side door(s). That also kept ME pure... So when I got the Beretta and started working regularly, the internet was a pretty new thing, and I had dial up, so I spent most of my time working on the car. about $3500 later, it had fully ported and polished 2.4L quad4 transplant with weber side draft carbs, getrag limited slip and toyo proxes street slicks. putting out around 300hp w/ an 8500 redline I chewed up my fair share of Hondas but this also kept me "pure" as I was always working to pay for or working on the car. Now Sam builds computers like I built cars and I'm happy it keeps him learning and busy, but I'm even happier that he now has the same scenario as I did in "learning" from his mistakes.  8)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »
Kia motor company on the door frame sticker and the VIN# matches, not sure if it's relevant, but frustrating none the less. Insurance all but totaled it, $2k in damages. we're taking the check, and the car. he and I will do the repairs, parts yard pieces etc, bumper cover and hood will most likely remain damaged, and he'll get to drive around his senior year with it as is and deal with the "utter humiliation" of driving around in a banged up ride.

I don't understand....my head is about to explode.............

Good plan on the repairs. I would probably make him do the labor, while you sit back with a sweet tea!

For Ken's vindication and closure, we have Daewoo conformation on the door sticker. I may or may not have been clouded with frustration when I first read it. insurance covered the repairs, Sam has a now steady part time job cleaning pools on the weekend which he paid the deductible with and now covers his own insurance vehicle costs.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
Thank's Tate....I feel better now. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile