VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Best transmission for 5.9 Cummins

(1/6) > >>

rcampbell:
Hi all, with all the 6BT experience on here, I was wondering if there's consensus on what the best choice of transmission would be to go behind the cummins? Some sites would have you believe anything short of a Eaton transmission from a medium duty truck wouldn't suffice. I plan on keeping the motor at stock power levels, can the 47RE be made to be reliable behind this engine? I'm open to anything, auto or manual.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: rcampbell on September 29, 2015, 01:30:28 PM ---Hi all, with all the 6BT experience on here, I was wondering if there's consensus on what the best choice of transmission would be to go behind the cummins? Some sites would have you believe anything short of a Eaton transmission from a medium duty truck wouldn't suffice. I plan on keeping the motor at stock power levels, can the 47RE be made to be reliable behind this engine? I'm open to anything, auto or manual.

--- End quote ---
Did you read the transmission part of the SquareD build?
Built a hydraulically controlled 46RH instead of the lockup stuff
A lot stronger since it has solid shafts in lieu of hollow drilled shafts, and converter absorbs a lot of the sudden torque flashes instead of the drivetrain and trans gears with the lockup setup. Also much cheaper to build. Converter is about 1/3 the price of a lockup unit

rcampbell:
Very interesting. I did read the SqD build, but it was a while back. I'll have to go back over it in more detail since I'm sure I could transfer a lot of that knowledge. The pro of using an auto trans is that the wife could drive it, the con is that the wife could drive it.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: rcampbell on September 29, 2015, 01:49:30 PM ---Very interesting. I did read the SqD build, but it was a while back. I'll have to go back over it in more detail since I'm sure I could transfer a lot of that knowledge. The pro of using an auto trans is that the wife could drive it, the con is that the wife could drive it.

--- End quote ---
My secret:

Lift it a bit too high.
Who cares about drivability if you aien't the one drivin' it!

JR:
I am waiting for the driving reports too. I have a 46 sitting here. It is supposed to be a working trans and it has a sheered flywheel. Even have a local shop who loves the dodge trannys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version