VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Best transmission for 5.9 Cummins

<< < (6/6)

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: JR on October 01, 2015, 02:11:50 PM ---As for EMP, I believe (Don correct me) that it destroys electronics such as chips, diodes and transistors. I think basic circuits are fine. EI: lights, starters, window motors, locks.

--- End quote ---
Correct

Heavier wiring can handle the surge of electrons

TexasRedNeck:
EMP, as is a nuclear EMP is mainly a voltage spike, not amperage.  So non voltage sensitive items are essentially immune, e.g. starters, window motors, etc.  Most ECU/TCU and electronics in general operate at 5VDC, so they are very susceptible to nuclear EMP.  That could also include any circuits in voltage regulators or other electronics.

If you have a vulnerable piece of equipment then a replacement in a Faraday cage/box would allow quick replacement.  A simple TCU change might be acceptable but having a truck with a BCM/ECM/TCM all to replace might not.

FWIW

RobCarlton:

--- Quote from: rcampebell on October 01, 2015, 06:01:54 PM ---Well I do have the Eaton FS5205A transmission, that's out of a bus I believe. It will bolt right up to the cummins, but unfortunately the one I have doesn't have OD (ie. 5th gear ratio is 1.00, and first gear is 7.28 or some such thing!!!!) I do really like the idea of using a manual transmission. And as husker77c pointed out, it could be a neat idea to restore a 1st gen dodge, as long as no one called me a SquareD copy-catter! :)

--- End quote ---

What's a nuclear emp then?

JR:

--- Quote from: RobCarlton on June 15, 2017, 03:05:35 AM ---What's a nuclear emp then?

--- End quote ---

Better than wikpedia (not hard to do)

http://futurescience.com/emp.html

cj7ox:
I've got an '06 Ram 3500 with the Gertrag G56 6 speed manual. That trans has worked flawlessly, with the only repair having to replace the clutch at 250k miles. I'm now approaching 270k, still no issues and pulling strong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version