VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Believed Head Gasket Issue... Input Please!

(1/6) > >>

wyorunner:
Our 4Runner, 2002 3.4l 136k miles, may have a head gasket issue. Why do I think this? The stupid thing keeps emptying itself of antifreeze. I think this is the third time, possibly fourth. Yesterday wife was almost to work when she's hears a loud POP and then steam. Once the steam subsides she opens the hood to find the upper radiator hose has disconnected itself from the radiator.

While the clearest indicator would be good wetness near the block and heads, little to none really. Or possibly the chocolate milk oil, yep not there. There are no visible signs of leaking so the antifreeze has to be going somewhere. My thought is into one or more of the pistons and is getting burnt off. I have not tested for this or examined the exhaust but seems logical. However I want to be sure this is the case before I spend the money to fix it. Because if it was something else and I pulled the heads for no reason, well I’d have to have a stiff drink!

So I bought this neat little camera from amazon, pulled the plugs and shoved her in the hole… Each piston appeared to be the same, but having never experienced this I don't know if the pistons are supposed to look like this or if they are supposed to look like something else. To me they look pitted and a bit rusted (weird). Experts, or whatever you guys are calling yourselves what do you all think?

Piston 1

Piston 3

Piston 5

Piston 2

Piston 4

Piston 6

So thats what the tops of the pistons look like, number 4 has me wondering. If there was a “wet spot” it would be on the outside of this cylinder. Let me know what you guys think. Possible courses of action are much appreciated! If anybody has a 4bt laying around that would be good to know!

Turner

stlaser:
No white smoke from exhaust huh?

Could always run a compression test not that those are always definitive for blown head gaskets but it's a start

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: stlaser on March 23, 2016, 10:42:07 PM ---No white smoke from exhaust huh?

Could always run a compression test not that those are always definitive for blown head gaskets but it's a start

--- End quote ---

Yea that's true. I read about that in trying to see what it looks like on this engine. No compression tester, but I assume I could rent one from one of the places. If not, just add it to the tools I have but only get used every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
From here, it looks like what you're seeing in #4 that's different than the rest, is lack of carbon, except for that little piece in the left corner. lack of carbon=burning coolant/water. That's the best way to eliminate carbon from a cylinder!

..the plug on that cylinder should look slightly different from the rest....possibly a light greenish tint (if green coolant), or rust colored from extended life coolant.

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on March 23, 2016, 11:33:46 PM ---From here, it looks like what you're seeing in #4 that's different than the rest, is lack of carbon, except for that little piece in the left corner. lack of carbon=burning coolant/water. That's the best way to eliminate carbon from a cylinder!

..the plug on that cylinder should look slightly different from the rest....possibly a light greenish tint (if green coolant), or rust colored from extended life coolant.

--- End quote ---

That was my thinking. I use the Toyota red spendy stuff. Oddly enough, the plugs really all look very similar.
Plug 2

Plug 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version