VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Need AAM 11.5 advice...Tate? OldKoot?

(1/3) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
So today, put my LB7 on the road with all new water pump, belts, pulleys, etc.

Noticed that it will break loose turning right with only the right tire spinning.  Turning left, both tires will light, as it will for the most part in a straight line.

What's happending with the G80?  Is it toast? 

If its toast is the solution the Grizzly Locker?

I've never set up a rear end before but I'm pretty handy and not afraid to spend the money. 

Whats the story here?

stlaser:
Probably needs rebuilt or I'm sure swapping in a grizzly will solve the problem as well. I know detroits need a rebuild every so often.

TexasRedNeck:
Can one resuse the gears and just change the carrier/locker?

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on April 09, 2016, 08:07:15 AM ---Can one resuse the gears and just change the carrier/locker?

--- End quote ---
Yes you can!

RN, take a look at the part in the C-Max build where I installed my Grizzly

It took me a few days, and a lot of test and tune so to speak before I got it right, but it is easily withing the "Can-Do" catageory.

I'm thinking yours will be a one day affair, easily.

The hard part is getting pinion depth. That involves bolting the thing together, then discovering it is all out of wack, then pulling it apart and (The worst part) driving off the bearing from the pinion gear.

You won't have to do that. All you have to do is the physical swap of ring gear over to that huge chunk of stellar matter, Grizzly thing, reinstall it, then set up your back lash.

That is easy...you just turn collars until the paint says you're a happy man.

G80's IMHO are junk. Massive chunk of metal, but if one little pin on the bobweight acclerator thing breaks, it stops working.

The Grizzly was never taught how to stop working. Mine is flawless, to this day. I've never stuck my truck, not once. A G80 has to lose traction before it starts to wake up. The Grizzly is on duty all the time. If it thinks it might lose traction tomorrow, around noon, it will lock up tonight around nine! You don't have to start to get stuck, then more stuck (Stucker??) before magic may or may not happen. You just don't get stuck

I'll never use another diff! I might put one on my Triumph Tiger! I'm sure it would make the one wheel direct drive better somehow.

You...? Absolutely, Do it

CM

stlaser:
What Don said, I agree you can swap in the grizzly. Tate has also posted a ton of informative stuff on installs. Randy's is also a wealth of information so you're in the best of hands. Not to mention Nate is normally a pretty nice guy....... (Still trying to get past that horses a** comment) :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version